When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Christchurch supermarket battle like a “Mexican standoff”
10:06am Thursday 23rd January 2014 in News
A TRADERS’ leader has described the latest situation in Christchurch’s supermarket battle as a “Mexican standoff”.
Councillors will tonight decide on whether to allow a Morrisons at Beagle on Stony Lane and a revised food store scheme for Meteor Retail Park in Somerford.
- Store wars: Asda threaten to pull out if rival supermarket schemes get go-ahead
- Morrison’s supermarket plan recommended for approval – after being turned down twice before
- Council to decide on fate of Morrisons’ supermarket scheme for Beagle site
- Decision on Morrisons supermarket for Beagle site in Christchurch is deferred until next year
- Asda boost: hundreds of jobs to be created as new supermarket to open in Christchurch
- Will Morrison’s be third supermarket to be given the go-ahead for Christchurch in past year?
- Revised plans for Christchurch supermarket in bid to create bigger store
- Morrisons developers defend Stony Lane roundabout plan
- Christchurch supermarket row: now the government gets involved
- Showdown talks on Christchurch supermarket plans
- Store wars as plans for three new Christchurch supermarkets submitted
Peter Watson-Lee, president of Christchurch Chamber of Trade and Commerce, said: “This is a real Mexican Standoff.
“We have three major developers pouring large resources into obtaining planning permissions for three separate supermarkets, whilst the evidence is that there is just not the local demand to support such a number of additional stores.
“It would be interesting to watch them manoeuvre for advantage were it not for the fact that the trade diversion that may result as they battle it out could cause major and lasting damage to the high street and town centre stores.”
Tonight’s special meeting of the planning committee will be beginning at 6pm and the Daily Echo will be covering the meeting live online.
Comments are closed on this article.