For sale – former police station in Poole complete with cells goes on the market

Bournemouth Echo: CELLING POINT: Poole’s old police station on the civic centre site. Inset, Martyn Underhill CELLING POINT: Poole’s old police station on the civic centre site. Inset, Martyn Underhill

POOLE’S former police station is the latest “des res” to go on the market.

And the unusual property, on the gyratory system in Sandbanks Road, is being offered for sale by tender.

It has some unique features, including cells.

Dorset Police funds will be set for a boost after the office of Martyn Underhill, Police and Crime Commissioner instructed Savills south coast development team to sell the building.

The 0.89 acre site next to the Civic Centre is said to provide an “excellent opportunity for development”.

It was in use as the town’s main police station until December 2009 when the force moved to its state-of-the-art joint emergency services building in Wimborne Road, Poole.

Last summer Mr Underhill expressed his frustration over the number of underused and empty buildings which were costing the force around £2.1million a year.

“That money could put 60 police officers on the streets,” he said.

“It’s happening in every police force in the country. Hundreds of millions are being spent.”

Enlarged since its development in the 1930s the site includes a three-storey office block, custody block, car parking and open space to the rear.

It is within the Poole Park Conservation Area and “has potential for a number of alternative planning uses”, says Savills.

Paul Spong, of Savills, said: “This is an important disposal for the office of the PCC following its relocation to Wimborne Road.

“The site overlooks Poole Park and will, I’m sure be of significant interest to a wide range of potential purchasers, particularly with regard to the wide range of potential planning uses that might be achievable subject to planning.”

The deadline for offers is noon on Thursday, February 20.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:18pm Tue 21 Jan 14

BIGTONE says...

“That money could put 60 police officers on the streets,” he said.



But it won't.
“That money could put 60 police officers on the streets,” he said. But it won't. BIGTONE
  • Score: 32

12:34pm Tue 21 Jan 14

smhinto says...

Yes this property is a right 'steal'. Someone could convert into a 'lock-up'.!
Yes this property is a right 'steal'. Someone could convert into a 'lock-up'.! smhinto
  • Score: 2

12:58pm Tue 21 Jan 14

we-shall-see says...

In a conservation area? Please don't tell me this ugly building is considered a valuable asset to the town?!!!

Pull it down and stick more flats on the plot ……… that's what you let developers do everywhere else in town - even in unsuitable areas :o/
In a conservation area? Please don't tell me this ugly building is considered a valuable asset to the town?!!! Pull it down and stick more flats on the plot ……… that's what you let developers do everywhere else in town - even in unsuitable areas :o/ we-shall-see
  • Score: 12

1:01pm Tue 21 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

Are we all missing something here?

Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations.

Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions.
Are we all missing something here? Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations. Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions. muscliffman
  • Score: 8

1:12pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Lizardman says...

Good Point muscliffman. A recent article stated that the PCC was concerned that money was running out for Dorset Police. Well if the Badger Cull is rolled out to Dorset this year then he'll have even less money as that will cost many thousands to "police". Stop the madness and sign these local petitions today:
Bournemouth:
http://www.b-r-a-v-e
.co.uk/operationbadg
er/bournemouth.htm
Poole:
http://www.b-r-a-v-e
.co.uk/operationbadg
er/poole.htm
Good Point muscliffman. A recent article stated that the PCC was concerned that money was running out for Dorset Police. Well if the Badger Cull is rolled out to Dorset this year then he'll have even less money as that will cost many thousands to "police". Stop the madness and sign these local petitions today: Bournemouth: http://www.b-r-a-v-e .co.uk/operationbadg er/bournemouth.htm Poole: http://www.b-r-a-v-e .co.uk/operationbadg er/poole.htm Lizardman
  • Score: 1

1:29pm Tue 21 Jan 14

BIGTONE says...

muscliffman wrote:
Are we all missing something here?

Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations.

Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions.
The money for the new stations comes from PFI. Private Finance Initiative.
In other words private funding.
The only drawback is that Dorset Police are tied into a 20-25 year commitment contract for maintenance etc.
The private financiers more than get their investment back over that period.
Drip fed tax payers money.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Are we all missing something here? Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations. Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions.[/p][/quote]The money for the new stations comes from PFI. Private Finance Initiative. In other words private funding. The only drawback is that Dorset Police are tied into a 20-25 year commitment contract for maintenance etc. The private financiers more than get their investment back over that period. Drip fed tax payers money. BIGTONE
  • Score: 9

2:03pm Tue 21 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

BIGTONE wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Are we all missing something here?

Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations.

Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions.
The money for the new stations comes from PFI. Private Finance Initiative.
In other words private funding.
The only drawback is that Dorset Police are tied into a 20-25 year commitment contract for maintenance etc.
The private financiers more than get their investment back over that period.
Drip fed tax payers money.
Thanks for clarifying, as I suggested the money has come from another 'source' but we will ultimately pick up the bill.

But this PFI arrangement therefore means that not only are the public eventually paying for these new Police Stations - during a period the Police using them have to make economies and cutbacks in the quality of their service to us - but we will undoubtedly also be paying large sums of interest.
[quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Are we all missing something here? Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations. Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions.[/p][/quote]The money for the new stations comes from PFI. Private Finance Initiative. In other words private funding. The only drawback is that Dorset Police are tied into a 20-25 year commitment contract for maintenance etc. The private financiers more than get their investment back over that period. Drip fed tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Thanks for clarifying, as I suggested the money has come from another 'source' but we will ultimately pick up the bill. But this PFI arrangement therefore means that not only are the public eventually paying for these new Police Stations - during a period the Police using them have to make economies and cutbacks in the quality of their service to us - but we will undoubtedly also be paying large sums of interest. muscliffman
  • Score: 9

2:26pm Tue 21 Jan 14

live-and-let-live says...

hundreds of millions being spent?

yet they still cry for more money.
hundreds of millions being spent? yet they still cry for more money. live-and-let-live
  • Score: 2

2:27pm Tue 21 Jan 14

BIGTONE says...

muscliffman wrote:
BIGTONE wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Are we all missing something here?

Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations.

Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions.
The money for the new stations comes from PFI. Private Finance Initiative.
In other words private funding.
The only drawback is that Dorset Police are tied into a 20-25 year commitment contract for maintenance etc.
The private financiers more than get their investment back over that period.
Drip fed tax payers money.
Thanks for clarifying, as I suggested the money has come from another 'source' but we will ultimately pick up the bill.

But this PFI arrangement therefore means that not only are the public eventually paying for these new Police Stations - during a period the Police using them have to make economies and cutbacks in the quality of their service to us - but we will undoubtedly also be paying large sums of interest.
Correct.
The reason PFI came into its own was due to the fact the Authorities couldn't afford the initial outlay so PFI funded it.

I suppose it is a larger scale pre Wonga scenario.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Are we all missing something here? Police chiefs and the PCC keep on and on about, frontline Police Officer cuts, the need for savings, out-station closures, Police front desk manning cutbacks. And yet many £Millions have been spent during very recent years in Bournemouth and Poole building two large brand new Police Stations. Perhaps the funding is coming from different sources, but it is ultimately all public money. If a large private sector organisation (that is, apart from the Banks!) was opening fancy new Head Offices whilst pleading poverty and also cutting staff numbers and shutting down customer facilities people would surely be asking a few questions.[/p][/quote]The money for the new stations comes from PFI. Private Finance Initiative. In other words private funding. The only drawback is that Dorset Police are tied into a 20-25 year commitment contract for maintenance etc. The private financiers more than get their investment back over that period. Drip fed tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Thanks for clarifying, as I suggested the money has come from another 'source' but we will ultimately pick up the bill. But this PFI arrangement therefore means that not only are the public eventually paying for these new Police Stations - during a period the Police using them have to make economies and cutbacks in the quality of their service to us - but we will undoubtedly also be paying large sums of interest.[/p][/quote]Correct. The reason PFI came into its own was due to the fact the Authorities couldn't afford the initial outlay so PFI funded it. I suppose it is a larger scale pre Wonga scenario. BIGTONE
  • Score: 8

3:07pm Tue 21 Jan 14

GaryC67 says...

So the old Police station has been empty for over 4 years, plus countless others from reading the article.

It really does show how inept the people running the Police force must be. Then again it's easy spending someone else's money and claiming a big fat pay cheque because that's what you'd be paid in the private sector.

So its taken until we employ a Commissioner, to start reducing the waste (although he's an additional cost that we didn't have/need before)
So the old Police station has been empty for over 4 years, plus countless others from reading the article. It really does show how inept the people running the Police force must be. Then again it's easy spending someone else's money and claiming a big fat pay cheque because that's what you'd be paid in the private sector. So its taken until we employ a Commissioner, to start reducing the waste (although he's an additional cost that we didn't have/need before) GaryC67
  • Score: 5

3:50pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Jo__Go says...

Caravans and wagons on the car park, travellers living in the building. Two problems solved at a stroke!
Caravans and wagons on the car park, travellers living in the building. Two problems solved at a stroke! Jo__Go
  • Score: 8

4:39pm Tue 21 Jan 14

allopinionscount says...

Lizardman wrote:
Good Point muscliffman. A recent article stated that the PCC was concerned that money was running out for Dorset Police. Well if the Badger Cull is rolled out to Dorset this year then he'll have even less money as that will cost many thousands to "police". Stop the madness and sign these local petitions today:
Bournemouth:
http://www.b-r-a-v-e

.co.uk/operationbadg

er/bournemouth.htm
Poole:
http://www.b-r-a-v-e

.co.uk/operationbadg

er/poole.htm
Isn't the cull paid for out of central funds? If it is then there is no cost to Dorset Police. And at last I can agree with muscliffman, the PFI buildings were the brain child of the last Chief and his Police Authority. Effectively they tied Dorset Police into an unbreakable contract for buildings that are shoddy and not really fit for purpose certainly not 'state of the art'. Sadly there is nothing the PCC can do about it.
[quote][p][bold]Lizardman[/bold] wrote: Good Point muscliffman. A recent article stated that the PCC was concerned that money was running out for Dorset Police. Well if the Badger Cull is rolled out to Dorset this year then he'll have even less money as that will cost many thousands to "police". Stop the madness and sign these local petitions today: Bournemouth: http://www.b-r-a-v-e .co.uk/operationbadg er/bournemouth.htm Poole: http://www.b-r-a-v-e .co.uk/operationbadg er/poole.htm[/p][/quote]Isn't the cull paid for out of central funds? If it is then there is no cost to Dorset Police. And at last I can agree with muscliffman, the PFI buildings were the brain child of the last Chief and his Police Authority. Effectively they tied Dorset Police into an unbreakable contract for buildings that are shoddy and not really fit for purpose certainly not 'state of the art'. Sadly there is nothing the PCC can do about it. allopinionscount
  • Score: 2

7:48pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Peroni says...

Stayed in that hotel a few times when younger .......breakfast was rubbish
Stayed in that hotel a few times when younger .......breakfast was rubbish Peroni
  • Score: 5

1:19pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Tig says...

The sale board outside actually says that the deadline for "best offers" is 20th January 2014.
The sale board outside actually says that the deadline for "best offers" is 20th January 2014. Tig
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree