Christians hold events to mark Week of Prayer for Christian Unity

UNITY:  The church of St Peter and St Paul, Blandford

UNITY: The church of St Peter and St Paul, Blandford

First published in News by

CHRISTIANS across the area are holding events to mark the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.

The event brings together different denominations in an attempt to end disunity in the faith.

In 2013, churches across the world gathered in Korea for the 10th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches to declare that disunity was a “scandal” and that they would go on praying and working for unity.

The week of prayer is traditionally observed from January 18 to 22, the octave of St Peter and St Paul, although some areas observe it at Pentecost or other times.

Among those parishes taking part is Blandford, where members of the seven local churches will meet for a celebration service tomorrow in the church of St Peter and St Paul in the Market Square.

The town’s churches work together wherever possible on matters such as schools, work, events, civic services and an annual Walk of Witness.

The collection from the service will go towards the relief effort in the Philippines.

The rector of Blandford Forum and Langton Long, the Rev Tim Storey, who will shortly be leaving the area, said: “It is a great thing to be able to come together each year and worship and pray together as the united church of the town.”

In Poole, there will be a service for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity tomorrow, 6.30pm, at St John’s Church in Ashley Road, Parkstone.

On Tuesday, January 21, noon, there will be a lunch in honour of the week, at the United Reformed Church, Lytchett Minster, while St Dunstan’s in Upton hosts a lunch on Wednesday 22 at noon.

The churches of Swanage host meetings for shared prayer every day next week at noon, followed by a soup and fruit lunch.

The hosts are St Mark’s (Monday), the United Reformed Church (Tuesday), St Nicholas at Studland (Wednesday), St Edward’s (Thursday) and Emanuel (Friday).

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:19am Sat 18 Jan 14

elite50 says...

This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility. elite50
  • Score: 3

9:31am Sat 18 Jan 14

Pablo23 says...

elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
[quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way Pablo23
  • Score: 0

9:39am Sat 18 Jan 14

Mike Oxbig says...

The best trick the devil ever made was to convince the world he didn't exist.
The best trick the devil ever made was to convince the world he didn't exist. Mike Oxbig
  • Score: -1

10:11am Sat 18 Jan 14

Former MEXE apprentice says...

Mike Oxbig wrote:
The best trick the devil ever made was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Where's the proof?
[quote][p][bold]Mike Oxbig[/bold] wrote: The best trick the devil ever made was to convince the world he didn't exist.[/p][/quote]Where's the proof? Former MEXE apprentice
  • Score: 1

10:13am Sat 18 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

Mike Oxbig wrote:
The best trick the devil ever made was to convince the world he didn't exist.
21st century mumbo jumbo.
[quote][p][bold]Mike Oxbig[/bold] wrote: The best trick the devil ever made was to convince the world he didn't exist.[/p][/quote]21st century mumbo jumbo. Hessenford
  • Score: 2

11:06am Sat 18 Jan 14

elite50 says...

Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
You must have missed the word "compatibility".
The way some people view atheism, you are wrong.
Are you a river or a stream?
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]You must have missed the word "compatibility". The way some people view atheism, you are wrong. Are you a river or a stream? elite50
  • Score: -1

11:08am Sat 18 Jan 14

elite50 says...

elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
You must have missed the word "compatibility".
The way some people view atheism, you are wrong.
Are you a river or a stream?
Or a drip?
[quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]You must have missed the word "compatibility". The way some people view atheism, you are wrong. Are you a river or a stream?[/p][/quote]Or a drip? elite50
  • Score: -4

11:30am Sat 18 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point. Hessenford
  • Score: 0

11:56am Sat 18 Jan 14

Pablo23 says...

elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
You must have missed the word "compatibility".
The way some people view atheism, you are wrong.
Are you a river or a stream?
Atheism is a lack of belief.
Calling it a religion is like saying, not playing football is a sport.

As far as your water analogy, the water does not exist as it has never been seen and there is no evidence for it. Unless you can prove otherwise why would I blindly believe you.

And as we know by watching the news everyday, religious dogmas are not compatible, and alas negatively impact the lives of those of us who wish to happily get on with our lives.
[quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]You must have missed the word "compatibility". The way some people view atheism, you are wrong. Are you a river or a stream?[/p][/quote]Atheism is a lack of belief. Calling it a religion is like saying, not playing football is a sport. As far as your water analogy, the water does not exist as it has never been seen and there is no evidence for it. Unless you can prove otherwise why would I blindly believe you. And as we know by watching the news everyday, religious dogmas are not compatible, and alas negatively impact the lives of those of us who wish to happily get on with our lives. Pablo23
  • Score: 1

12:01pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Pablo23 says...

Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
Not really.
Feel free to google the definition.
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Not really. Feel free to google the definition. Pablo23
  • Score: 1

12:15pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
Not really.
Feel free to google the definition.
Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Not really. Feel free to google the definition.[/p][/quote]Already have and as I say, its a debatable point. Hessenford
  • Score: -2

12:30pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Pablo23 says...

Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
Not really.
Feel free to google the definition.
Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.
Religion is belief in God or Gods.
Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity).

Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist.

For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me.
If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief.

Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise.

It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Not really. Feel free to google the definition.[/p][/quote]Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Religion is belief in God or Gods. Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity). Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist. For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me. If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief. Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise. It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief. Pablo23
  • Score: 1

12:44pm Sat 18 Jan 14

elite50 says...

Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
You must have missed the word "compatibility".
The way some people view atheism, you are wrong.
Are you a river or a stream?
Atheism is a lack of belief.
Calling it a religion is like saying, not playing football is a sport.

As far as your water analogy, the water does not exist as it has never been seen and there is no evidence for it. Unless you can prove otherwise why would I blindly believe you.

And as we know by watching the news everyday, religious dogmas are not compatible, and alas negatively impact the lives of those of us who wish to happily get on with our lives.
Happily get on with our lives?
The history of the human race has been about the denial of one religion against another.
You are just another contestant.
Whilst people like you deny the right of others to live their lives as they see fit there will always be people who are prepared to die and kill to push the "true religion" that they believe in.
You would think that at some point that people would say "enough".
I am 70 + years old, waiting for my version of God to tap me on the shoulder and if He does I will tell him to give those idiots that I left behind a swift kick up the back-side!!!
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]You must have missed the word "compatibility". The way some people view atheism, you are wrong. Are you a river or a stream?[/p][/quote]Atheism is a lack of belief. Calling it a religion is like saying, not playing football is a sport. As far as your water analogy, the water does not exist as it has never been seen and there is no evidence for it. Unless you can prove otherwise why would I blindly believe you. And as we know by watching the news everyday, religious dogmas are not compatible, and alas negatively impact the lives of those of us who wish to happily get on with our lives.[/p][/quote]Happily get on with our lives? The history of the human race has been about the denial of one religion against another. You are just another contestant. Whilst people like you deny the right of others to live their lives as they see fit there will always be people who are prepared to die and kill to push the "true religion" that they believe in. You would think that at some point that people would say "enough". I am 70 + years old, waiting for my version of God to tap me on the shoulder and if He does I will tell him to give those idiots that I left behind a swift kick up the back-side!!! elite50
  • Score: -1

1:24pm Sat 18 Jan 14

The-Bleeding-Obvious says...

Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
Not really.
Feel free to google the definition.
Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.
Religion is belief in God or Gods.
Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity).

Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist.

For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me.
If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief.

Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise.

It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.
The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Not really. Feel free to google the definition.[/p][/quote]Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Religion is belief in God or Gods. Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity). Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist. For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me. If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief. Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise. It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.[/p][/quote]The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think. The-Bleeding-Obvious
  • Score: 1

2:54pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Pablo23 says...

elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
You must have missed the word "compatibility".
The way some people view atheism, you are wrong.
Are you a river or a stream?
Atheism is a lack of belief.
Calling it a religion is like saying, not playing football is a sport.

As far as your water analogy, the water does not exist as it has never been seen and there is no evidence for it. Unless you can prove otherwise why would I blindly believe you.

And as we know by watching the news everyday, religious dogmas are not compatible, and alas negatively impact the lives of those of us who wish to happily get on with our lives.
Happily get on with our lives?
The history of the human race has been about the denial of one religion against another.
You are just another contestant.
Whilst people like you deny the right of others to live their lives as they see fit there will always be people who are prepared to die and kill to push the "true religion" that they believe in.
You would think that at some point that people would say "enough".
I am 70 + years old, waiting for my version of God to tap me on the shoulder and if He does I will tell him to give those idiots that I left behind a swift kick up the back-side!!!
All I did was give my reasoning for why I don't think atheism is a religion and I'm being accused of deny peoples rights.
Where did that come from ?

Its the opposite, I'm 100% for freedom of religion, thought and speech. Everyone should have the right to believe what they want, practice what they want, go to church - I like churches, some religious buildings are amazing. I went to the pyramids once, it was great.

The problem comes when peoples beliefs impact on other people in a negative way, which you cannot argue happens every day.

Why do people get so angry just because I don't believe the same as them.
They hear the word atheism and take it as an insult.

In a sane world the word atheism shouldn't even need to exist.
Its like creating a word for people that don't believe in bigfoot, or unicorns.
[quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]You must have missed the word "compatibility". The way some people view atheism, you are wrong. Are you a river or a stream?[/p][/quote]Atheism is a lack of belief. Calling it a religion is like saying, not playing football is a sport. As far as your water analogy, the water does not exist as it has never been seen and there is no evidence for it. Unless you can prove otherwise why would I blindly believe you. And as we know by watching the news everyday, religious dogmas are not compatible, and alas negatively impact the lives of those of us who wish to happily get on with our lives.[/p][/quote]Happily get on with our lives? The history of the human race has been about the denial of one religion against another. You are just another contestant. Whilst people like you deny the right of others to live their lives as they see fit there will always be people who are prepared to die and kill to push the "true religion" that they believe in. You would think that at some point that people would say "enough". I am 70 + years old, waiting for my version of God to tap me on the shoulder and if He does I will tell him to give those idiots that I left behind a swift kick up the back-side!!![/p][/quote]All I did was give my reasoning for why I don't think atheism is a religion and I'm being accused of deny peoples rights. Where did that come from ? Its the opposite, I'm 100% for freedom of religion, thought and speech. Everyone should have the right to believe what they want, practice what they want, go to church - I like churches, some religious buildings are amazing. I went to the pyramids once, it was great. The problem comes when peoples beliefs impact on other people in a negative way, which you cannot argue happens every day. Why do people get so angry just because I don't believe the same as them. They hear the word atheism and take it as an insult. In a sane world the word atheism shouldn't even need to exist. Its like creating a word for people that don't believe in bigfoot, or unicorns. Pablo23
  • Score: 1

2:57pm Sat 18 Jan 14

fireflier says...

Spirit of life.
Don't think we need to conjure up make-believe super-people!.
We are all part of the 'Lifestream' and when we finish with this human body of our all it is made up from will retun to the 'Lifestream.'
Spirit of life. Don't think we need to conjure up make-believe super-people!. We are all part of the 'Lifestream' and when we finish with this human body of our all it is made up from will retun to the 'Lifestream.' fireflier
  • Score: 1

3:15pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Pablo23 says...

The-Bleeding-Obvious wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
Not really.
Feel free to google the definition.
Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.
Religion is belief in God or Gods.
Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity).

Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist.

For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me.
If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief.

Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise.

It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.
The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think.
That makes no sense.
The absence of faith is lack of belief until evidence is presented.
Why is that such a difficult concept to understand ?
[quote][p][bold]The-Bleeding-Obvious[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Not really. Feel free to google the definition.[/p][/quote]Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Religion is belief in God or Gods. Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity). Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist. For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me. If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief. Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise. It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.[/p][/quote]The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think.[/p][/quote]That makes no sense. The absence of faith is lack of belief until evidence is presented. Why is that such a difficult concept to understand ? Pablo23
  • Score: 0

4:30pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Former MEXE apprentice says...

Pablo23 wrote:
The-Bleeding-Obvious wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
Not really.
Feel free to google the definition.
Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.
Religion is belief in God or Gods.
Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity).

Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist.

For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me.
If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief.

Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise.

It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.
The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think.
That makes no sense.
The absence of faith is lack of belief until evidence is presented.
Why is that such a difficult concept to understand ?
Seems clear to me. Faith, as in religion, is belief without evidence.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The-Bleeding-Obvious[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Not really. Feel free to google the definition.[/p][/quote]Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Religion is belief in God or Gods. Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity). Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist. For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me. If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief. Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise. It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.[/p][/quote]The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think.[/p][/quote]That makes no sense. The absence of faith is lack of belief until evidence is presented. Why is that such a difficult concept to understand ?[/p][/quote]Seems clear to me. Faith, as in religion, is belief without evidence. Former MEXE apprentice
  • Score: 0

4:37pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Derf says...

I don't have a problem with god (if he/she exists) It's his fan clubs that cause all the problems.
I don't have a problem with god (if he/she exists) It's his fan clubs that cause all the problems. Derf
  • Score: 0

5:05pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Pablo23 says...

Former MEXE apprentice wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
The-Bleeding-Obvious wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
This is brilliant.
Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on.
He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water".
With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten.
All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.
Atheism isn't a religion by the way
That's a debatable point.
Not really.
Feel free to google the definition.
Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.
Religion is belief in God or Gods.
Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity).

Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist.

For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me.
If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief.

Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise.

It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.
The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think.
That makes no sense.
The absence of faith is lack of belief until evidence is presented.
Why is that such a difficult concept to understand ?
Seems clear to me. Faith, as in religion, is belief without evidence.
Ah, sorry. I misread.
I that case, yes, I agree :-)
[quote][p][bold]Former MEXE apprentice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The-Bleeding-Obvious[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: This is brilliant. Mohamed Ali made a statement that is hard to improve on. He said " There is such a thing as a lake, pond, stream, river or sea. Call it what you will, it is still water". With all the conflict over different religions, this is the thing that is forgotten. All we need now is for the other types of religions (including atheists), to join in on the importance of compatibility.[/p][/quote]Atheism isn't a religion by the way[/p][/quote]That's a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Not really. Feel free to google the definition.[/p][/quote]Already have and as I say, its a debatable point.[/p][/quote]Religion is belief in God or Gods. Atheism is a lack of belief. (A - Theism = without belief in deity). Many people seem to struggle to grasp the difference (including some definitions) between a lack of belief in something and a belief something doesn't exist. For example, if you come to me and say that there is an invisible man that grants wishes, the burden of proof if on you to prove it to me. If I come to you and say I believe there definitely is no invisible man, the burden of proof is on me to prove my belief. Atheism isn't a belief something doesn't exist, it is a lack of belief that something does exist until evidence it produced to prove otherwise. It is not a belief system or a religion, it is simply a lack of belief.[/p][/quote]The absence of faith which is belief without evidence. The atheist has been taught how to think rather than what to think.[/p][/quote]That makes no sense. The absence of faith is lack of belief until evidence is presented. Why is that such a difficult concept to understand ?[/p][/quote]Seems clear to me. Faith, as in religion, is belief without evidence.[/p][/quote]Ah, sorry. I misread. I that case, yes, I agree :-) Pablo23
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree