When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
UPDATE: Two mortar shells found at Springbourne property
BOMB squad officers have taken away two mortar shells from a Bournemouth property.
Police were initially alerted after reports that an 'unexploded bomb' had been found in fishing nets at a home in Madison Avenue, Springbourne, this lunchtime.
A policeman at the scene said: " The whole house has been cordoned off because there were reports of explosives."
Mr Victor Tayor at the property said: " All I am going to say is that they are explosives.
"Police have done an excellent job and I must give praise to both the police and the bomb squad who arrived quickly."
Neighbour Don Stuart said: "We have heard from neighbours it was explosives and it had something to do with fishing."
Initial reports had said the explosives were in fishing nets.
The bomb squad arrived and have now removed the explosives from the property.
Dorset Police have now issued this statement: "At 10.45am today, Friday 17 January 2014, Dorset Police received a report that two mortar shells had been discovered and taken to premises on Madison Avenue in Bournemouth.
The shells were found by a member of the public while fishing in Poole Harbour.
An Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit attended the address and secured the items before transporting them to the beach at Southborne Overcliffe to carry out a controlled explosion.
The area around the beach site was cleared by Dorset Police and the surrounding roads were closed between 1.40pm and 1.50pm to enable the explosion to take place.
No one was injured and the incident is now concluded. " .
Comments are closed on this article.