Girls' fight at St Edward's School is filmed and posted on Facebook

Pola Bevan, headteacher of St Edward’s

Pola Bevan, headteacher of St Edward’s

First published in News
Last updated
by

AN INTENSE fight between two female pupils which was filmed and put on Facebook has shocked parents at the secondary school in Poole.

The fight broke out between the two Year 10 girls on the premises at St Edward's Roman Catholic Church of England School on Monday January 6 but there were no serious injuries.

Police have not yet been involved but the school is dealing with the two pupils involved as well as their parents.

Claire Norman, who has a daughter in the sixth form at the school said: “I’m really surprised to say the least and shocked to hear that there was such a serious fight at the school.

“The parents have all been informed by the school and are concerned as there are strict rules about anti-bullying and use of social networking sites.

“The school is usually really good and I haven’t heard about many similar incidents occurring.”

St Edward’s has clear anti-bullying policies as well as a ban on using mobile phones on the school site and a ban on posting films on social networking sites.

Tutors have spoken to all students regarding the matter and reinforced the school’s policies.

Headteacher Pola Bevan said: “We are aware of a serious incident which took place at the school between two Year 10 girls. The incident was filmed by two students and posted on a social networking website.

“St Edward’s has clear behaviour and antibullying policies and prohibits the use of mobile phones on school premises and the posting of films on social networking sites.

“Such matters are taken very seriously indeed and the students involved in this incident have breached our policies and are being dealt with accordingly.

“Incidents of this nature fortunately are very rare at St Edward’s.”

Comments (53)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:27am Mon 13 Jan 14

MMM444 says...

WOW, Two girls draw satchels at school, unheard of lol, is this the best you can come up with Echo ???,
WOW, Two girls draw satchels at school, unheard of lol, is this the best you can come up with Echo ???, MMM444
  • Score: -27

7:33am Mon 13 Jan 14

Poole Pirate says...

The school may well "prohibit the use of mobile phones" on school premises, but from what I'm led to believe this prohibition is largely disregarded by the pupils and poorly enforced by staff (rather like the make-up 'rule' for girls). Its about time that all schools adopted a zero tolerance policy towards the breaking of their 'rules' and a little more discipline was maintained. You break the rules, you get suspended !.
The school may well "prohibit the use of mobile phones" on school premises, but from what I'm led to believe this prohibition is largely disregarded by the pupils and poorly enforced by staff (rather like the make-up 'rule' for girls). Its about time that all schools adopted a zero tolerance policy towards the breaking of their 'rules' and a little more discipline was maintained. You break the rules, you get suspended !. Poole Pirate
  • Score: 103

7:43am Mon 13 Jan 14

alasdair1967 says...

If had not been for social media. Would the school have known about this fight ?
If had not been for social media. Would the school have known about this fight ? alasdair1967
  • Score: 59

8:08am Mon 13 Jan 14

poolebabe says...

The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper.
The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper. poolebabe
  • Score: 61

8:46am Mon 13 Jan 14

BarrHumbug says...

In my day anything you were caught with that you weren't supposed to have would be confiscated until the end of the day, end of the week or for good, but if the school did that there would be outcry by the parents that they could no longer get in contact with their kids to know where they are every minute of the day and the school would be blamed for putting their child in imminent danger and probably infringing their human rights and freedom of speech!
In my day anything you were caught with that you weren't supposed to have would be confiscated until the end of the day, end of the week or for good, but if the school did that there would be outcry by the parents that they could no longer get in contact with their kids to know where they are every minute of the day and the school would be blamed for putting their child in imminent danger and probably infringing their human rights and freedom of speech! BarrHumbug
  • Score: 45

9:00am Mon 13 Jan 14

Townee says...

All this talk about phones, what about the two girls who were fighting. Where were the staff? Does anti bullying count when two girls just have a spat perhaps about a boy and neither were bullying the other.
Perhaps the school should have a ring for them to sort their problems out instead of in the playground.
All this talk about phones, what about the two girls who were fighting. Where were the staff? Does anti bullying count when two girls just have a spat perhaps about a boy and neither were bullying the other. Perhaps the school should have a ring for them to sort their problems out instead of in the playground. Townee
  • Score: 10

9:18am Mon 13 Jan 14

Stereotyped says...

poolebabe wrote:
The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper.
About the 'no need for phones'... agree to a certain extent. But then 'back in the day' tech wasn't such a huge part of everyday life, as it is now.

If you don't have a mobile...internet...
freeview TV these day, then you are left out. Sad as it is, it's true.
[quote][p][bold]poolebabe[/bold] wrote: The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper.[/p][/quote]About the 'no need for phones'... agree to a certain extent. But then 'back in the day' tech wasn't such a huge part of everyday life, as it is now. If you don't have a mobile...internet... freeview TV these day, then you are left out. Sad as it is, it's true. Stereotyped
  • Score: 9

9:53am Mon 13 Jan 14

suzigirl says...

Poole Pirate wrote:
The school may well "prohibit the use of mobile phones" on school premises, but from what I'm led to believe this prohibition is largely disregarded by the pupils and poorly enforced by staff (rather like the make-up 'rule' for girls). Its about time that all schools adopted a zero tolerance policy towards the breaking of their 'rules' and a little more discipline was maintained. You break the rules, you get suspended !.
Some of the pupils also need to be taught to cross the road properly. I drive to work near the school and the amount of times a hoard of pupils just cross the road without looking (usually with headphones or on their mobiles) blatantly ignoring the fact that there is a car coming towards them and they just meander across the road as well. Also the amount of pupils cycling to school not wearing cycling helmets and no lights! They also use the small wood adjacement to the school at lunchtimes and leave all their lunch litter behind! (Rant over).
[quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: The school may well "prohibit the use of mobile phones" on school premises, but from what I'm led to believe this prohibition is largely disregarded by the pupils and poorly enforced by staff (rather like the make-up 'rule' for girls). Its about time that all schools adopted a zero tolerance policy towards the breaking of their 'rules' and a little more discipline was maintained. You break the rules, you get suspended !.[/p][/quote]Some of the pupils also need to be taught to cross the road properly. I drive to work near the school and the amount of times a hoard of pupils just cross the road without looking (usually with headphones or on their mobiles) blatantly ignoring the fact that there is a car coming towards them and they just meander across the road as well. Also the amount of pupils cycling to school not wearing cycling helmets and no lights! They also use the small wood adjacement to the school at lunchtimes and leave all their lunch litter behind! (Rant over). suzigirl
  • Score: 40

10:23am Mon 13 Jan 14

sea poole says...

Wouldn't it be good if some of the above posts read 'Well done school for taking this seriously...' and awaiting the outcome instead of jumping to conclusions. Oh, the good old days...hmm!
Wouldn't it be good if some of the above posts read 'Well done school for taking this seriously...' and awaiting the outcome instead of jumping to conclusions. Oh, the good old days...hmm! sea poole
  • Score: -2

10:24am Mon 13 Jan 14

trigg_travers91 says...

Trust me, there's zero tolerance on this stuff, when I was there 5years ago I got suspended for putting videos on facebook, along with those who featured prominently in our antics!!!
Trust me, there's zero tolerance on this stuff, when I was there 5years ago I got suspended for putting videos on facebook, along with those who featured prominently in our antics!!! trigg_travers91
  • Score: 13

10:36am Mon 13 Jan 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

Has anyone found the link to the clip ?
Has anyone found the link to the clip ? Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 7

12:09pm Mon 13 Jan 14

sea poole says...

Sir beachy head - Weirdo -pervert! Let me know when you've found it!
Sir beachy head - Weirdo -pervert! Let me know when you've found it! sea poole
  • Score: -17

12:15pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Boscomite says...

Why the ban on social media unless there's something to hide?
Why the ban on social media unless there's something to hide? Boscomite
  • Score: -24

12:50pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Poole Pirate says...

sea poole wrote:
Wouldn't it be good if some of the above posts read 'Well done school for taking this seriously...' and awaiting the outcome instead of jumping to conclusions. Oh, the good old days...hmm!
Well done school for having policies and rules that are widely disregarded by your pupils !. Hopefully your future level of enforcement will be comensurate with the level of damage that their abuse can inflict upon the school's reputation (which in this case is fairly large !).
[quote][p][bold]sea poole[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it be good if some of the above posts read 'Well done school for taking this seriously...' and awaiting the outcome instead of jumping to conclusions. Oh, the good old days...hmm![/p][/quote]Well done school for having policies and rules that are widely disregarded by your pupils !. Hopefully your future level of enforcement will be comensurate with the level of damage that their abuse can inflict upon the school's reputation (which in this case is fairly large !). Poole Pirate
  • Score: 24

12:51pm Mon 13 Jan 14

davecook says...

poolebabe wrote:
The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper.
If you are a girl walking home from school and some nutter starts molesting you, I suspect you would find modern technology rather handy. Like all inventions ever since the wheel, there are good and bad. Whilst it might be bad on the face of it to film this fight, it is evidence that can and probably will be used. Whether the real crime is the fight, or exposing the fight inside the school to a wider audience thus making it impossible for the authorities to hush it up is down to a personal viewpoint.
[quote][p][bold]poolebabe[/bold] wrote: The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper.[/p][/quote]If you are a girl walking home from school and some nutter starts molesting you, I suspect you would find modern technology rather handy. Like all inventions ever since the wheel, there are good and bad. Whilst it might be bad on the face of it to film this fight, it is evidence that can and probably will be used. Whether the real crime is the fight, or exposing the fight inside the school to a wider audience thus making it impossible for the authorities to hush it up is down to a personal viewpoint. davecook
  • Score: 5

3:43pm Mon 13 Jan 14

leogril says...

Sadly no matter what measures are put in there will always be bullying within schools and with all the mobiles etc today stuff will end up on the internet and despite Mrs Bevan's comment of this is rare at St Edwards that is totally untrue it was just a case of this one was filmed. My daughter was bullied at that school and I repeatably rang and went in to school and nothing was done about it despite reassurances things would be done. Unfortunate this may seem but my estimation of St Edwards as a school in general has gone down since my son started there back in 2007 its all about results and not the well being of the pupils!
Sadly no matter what measures are put in there will always be bullying within schools and with all the mobiles etc today stuff will end up on the internet and despite Mrs Bevan's comment of this is rare at St Edwards that is totally untrue it was just a case of this one was filmed. My daughter was bullied at that school and I repeatably rang and went in to school and nothing was done about it despite reassurances things would be done. Unfortunate this may seem but my estimation of St Edwards as a school in general has gone down since my son started there back in 2007 its all about results and not the well being of the pupils! leogril
  • Score: 15

3:46pm Mon 13 Jan 14

poolebabe says...

I take your point davecook, but the use of mobile phones has further compounded problems. More young people are being run over because they are not paying attention as they cross roads for a start. I would think this alone poses a greater risk than some weirdo who may approach a young girl, which is a much rarer occurance. Of course, young girls and boys for that matter run a greater risk from being approached by weirdos on the internet. Not to mention the young people who are losing their lives because of bullying they can't escape because its done online. Of course there are benefits, but there are other risks too. There is too much reliance on these high tech gadgets which can be a blessing, but there are other risks as well.
I take your point davecook, but the use of mobile phones has further compounded problems. More young people are being run over because they are not paying attention as they cross roads for a start. I would think this alone poses a greater risk than some weirdo who may approach a young girl, which is a much rarer occurance. Of course, young girls and boys for that matter run a greater risk from being approached by weirdos on the internet. Not to mention the young people who are losing their lives because of bullying they can't escape because its done online. Of course there are benefits, but there are other risks too. There is too much reliance on these high tech gadgets which can be a blessing, but there are other risks as well. poolebabe
  • Score: 11

4:15pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Por Speller says...

"More young people are being run over because they are not paying attention as they cross roads for a start. I would think this alone poses a greater risk than some weirdo who may approach a young girl, which is a much rarer occurance (sic)."
So, Poolebabe, where did you find this information about young people being run over, and the rarity of weirdos?
"More young people are being run over because they are not paying attention as they cross roads for a start. I would think this alone poses a greater risk than some weirdo who may approach a young girl, which is a much rarer occurance (sic)." So, Poolebabe, where did you find this information about young people being run over, and the rarity of weirdos? Por Speller
  • Score: -6

4:50pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

I can imagine the howls of protest were the school to attempt any form of discipline - far from getting the backing of parents they will get the nonsense we saw when a child turned up to school with dyed hair.

Stop blaming the school.
I can imagine the howls of protest were the school to attempt any form of discipline - far from getting the backing of parents they will get the nonsense we saw when a child turned up to school with dyed hair. Stop blaming the school. Bob49
  • Score: 14

6:03pm Mon 13 Jan 14

O'Reilly says...

Roman Catholic Church of England School..............
.Que? Isn't that an oxymoron?
Roman Catholic Church of England School.............. .Que? Isn't that an oxymoron? O'Reilly
  • Score: 9

6:07pm Mon 13 Jan 14

DUCKFEEDER says...

Sir Beachy Head wrote:
Has anyone found the link to the clip ?
it's been removed for the obvious reasons
[quote][p][bold]Sir Beachy Head[/bold] wrote: Has anyone found the link to the clip ?[/p][/quote]it's been removed for the obvious reasons DUCKFEEDER
  • Score: -2

6:07pm Mon 13 Jan 14

DUCKFEEDER says...

Sir Beachy Head wrote:
Has anyone found the link to the clip ?
it's been removed for the obvious reasons
[quote][p][bold]Sir Beachy Head[/bold] wrote: Has anyone found the link to the clip ?[/p][/quote]it's been removed for the obvious reasons DUCKFEEDER
  • Score: -2

6:10pm Mon 13 Jan 14

O'Reilly says...

davecook wrote:
poolebabe wrote:
The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper.
If you are a girl walking home from school and some nutter starts molesting you, I suspect you would find modern technology rather handy. Like all inventions ever since the wheel, there are good and bad. Whilst it might be bad on the face of it to film this fight, it is evidence that can and probably will be used. Whether the real crime is the fight, or exposing the fight inside the school to a wider audience thus making it impossible for the authorities to hush it up is down to a personal viewpoint.
LOL..........when we were walking home from school if some nutter tried to molest us he would have received a swift kick in the 'orchestras', and god help him if he had tried it on with the girls, they were meaner than the boys.
[quote][p][bold]davecook[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]poolebabe[/bold] wrote: The school is a good one, but! This isn't the first time. We shouldn't be harsh on the school though. Parents need to take the lead. Far too many young people have these high tech, expensive phones and they do not need them in school. Parents should support the school in an out right ban. For anyone who says a child needs a mobile phone, no they don't. Generations of children before survived without them. I also agree about the uniform. They have a strict policy.....on paper.[/p][/quote]If you are a girl walking home from school and some nutter starts molesting you, I suspect you would find modern technology rather handy. Like all inventions ever since the wheel, there are good and bad. Whilst it might be bad on the face of it to film this fight, it is evidence that can and probably will be used. Whether the real crime is the fight, or exposing the fight inside the school to a wider audience thus making it impossible for the authorities to hush it up is down to a personal viewpoint.[/p][/quote]LOL..........when we were walking home from school if some nutter tried to molest us he would have received a swift kick in the 'orchestras', and god help him if he had tried it on with the girls, they were meaner than the boys. O'Reilly
  • Score: 9

6:54pm Mon 13 Jan 14

poolebabe says...

Por Speller wrote:
"More young people are being run over because they are not paying attention as they cross roads for a start. I would think this alone poses a greater risk than some weirdo who may approach a young girl, which is a much rarer occurance (sic)."
So, Poolebabe, where did you find this information about young people being run over, and the rarity of weirdos?
Why don't you Google it? It's all there. Young people being run over has been the subject of campaigns. You could start with the "think" website. Also the weirdos, yes they are rare on the streets because the "weirdos" have a safer outlet these days on the net. Also subject to many campaigns. I'm suggesting there is no need for young people to have these high tech gadgets in school, and I was responding to the point that a young girl "may" be approached to and from school by a weirdo. I was suggesting that, whilst there may be a point, the benefit of mobile phones could be out weighed by other threats to the young person. For the record, I have a 14 yr old girl, she does not have a phone. I have a 17 year old boy, who never had one until he left school.
[quote][p][bold]Por Speller[/bold] wrote: "More young people are being run over because they are not paying attention as they cross roads for a start. I would think this alone poses a greater risk than some weirdo who may approach a young girl, which is a much rarer occurance (sic)." So, Poolebabe, where did you find this information about young people being run over, and the rarity of weirdos?[/p][/quote]Why don't you Google it? It's all there. Young people being run over has been the subject of campaigns. You could start with the "think" website. Also the weirdos, yes they are rare on the streets because the "weirdos" have a safer outlet these days on the net. Also subject to many campaigns. I'm suggesting there is no need for young people to have these high tech gadgets in school, and I was responding to the point that a young girl "may" be approached to and from school by a weirdo. I was suggesting that, whilst there may be a point, the benefit of mobile phones could be out weighed by other threats to the young person. For the record, I have a 14 yr old girl, she does not have a phone. I have a 17 year old boy, who never had one until he left school. poolebabe
  • Score: 1

7:13pm Mon 13 Jan 14

kalebmoledirt says...

sea poole wrote:
Sir beachy head - Weirdo -pervert! Let me know when you've found it!
Are you 2 on the register
[quote][p][bold]sea poole[/bold] wrote: Sir beachy head - Weirdo -pervert! Let me know when you've found it![/p][/quote]Are you 2 on the register kalebmoledirt
  • Score: -11

7:34pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Over worked mother says...

Has anyone commenting actually seen the footage. I have and let me tell you I was deeply upset by it! I for one wanted to know where the adults were as the noise of the pupils in the classroom appeared to be very loud how could it not have been heard let alone the foul language! 2. I hope that the school will take the whole group who video'd it, witnessed and started who then added fuel to the fire to task! 3.Educate the ones that looked on and did nothing. 4. and most importantly provide support to the victim who did not once retaliate after getting a viscious beating. Who then went on to be named on social media sites and received shocking nasty messages from pupils at the other schools in the county! Poor Samantha Todd springs to mind
Has anyone commenting actually seen the footage. I have and let me tell you I was deeply upset by it! I for one wanted to know where the adults were as the noise of the pupils in the classroom appeared to be very loud how could it not have been heard let alone the foul language! 2. I hope that the school will take the whole group who video'd it, witnessed and started who then added fuel to the fire to task! 3.Educate the ones that looked on and did nothing. 4. and most importantly provide support to the victim who did not once retaliate after getting a viscious beating. Who then went on to be named on social media sites and received shocking nasty messages from pupils at the other schools in the county! Poor Samantha Todd springs to mind Over worked mother
  • Score: 18

9:09pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Lilsta94 says...

Sorry but I went to st Edwards and the amount of fights that broke out cuz of bullying or just because they were bored! Nothing EVER got sorted! The pupils would get excluded for a week or so (giving the child a week off school!) And that's all. Everything gets swept under the rug! It is truely ridiculous! I ended up having a mental/emotional breakdown and have no been on anti-depressants for about 3years now! I would not recommend this school to anyone! If I remember rightly! One year ofsted came for an inspection and the school excluded quite a few students! I have many more stories about that place. I had a horrible 4years there! xx
Sorry but I went to st Edwards and the amount of fights that broke out cuz of bullying or just because they were bored! Nothing EVER got sorted! The pupils would get excluded for a week or so (giving the child a week off school!) And that's all. Everything gets swept under the rug! It is truely ridiculous! I ended up having a mental/emotional breakdown and have no been on anti-depressants for about 3years now! I would not recommend this school to anyone! If I remember rightly! One year ofsted came for an inspection and the school excluded quite a few students! I have many more stories about that place. I had a horrible 4years there! xx Lilsta94
  • Score: 0

9:14pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

and the parents position in all of this ?

the school can only do so much

ps will there be criminal charges for assault ... if not, why not ?
and the parents position in all of this ? the school can only do so much ps will there be criminal charges for assault ... if not, why not ? Bob49
  • Score: 11

9:39pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Herobäne says...

While I'm sure that there are those that go to this school that engage in fighting, there are also many students who go there to get a good education which on the whole this school provides.

I'm currently a student there and I know that this school has its negatives but I guess that's what you get when 800 teenagers are placed together. I just want to clarify that what some commenters have said about this school and its pupils only go for a few and not the majority!

This fight has hindered my education as some of the new regulations and sanctions on phones are a little harsh but I understand the school needs to be seen to be taking actions and it is not really going to affect the vast majority.

This school and those attending it are not as bad as people keep saying so cut us some slack!
While I'm sure that there are those that go to this school that engage in fighting, there are also many students who go there to get a good education which on the whole this school provides. I'm currently a student there and I know that this school has its negatives but I guess that's what you get when 800 teenagers are placed together. I just want to clarify that what some commenters have said about this school and its pupils only go for a few and not the majority! This fight has hindered my education as some of the new regulations and sanctions on phones are a little harsh but I understand the school needs to be seen to be taking actions and it is not really going to affect the vast majority. This school and those attending it are not as bad as people keep saying so cut us some slack! Herobäne
  • Score: 6

10:14pm Mon 13 Jan 14

nickynoodah says...

its on you tube you know poor video
not worth looking at.
its on you tube you know poor video not worth looking at. nickynoodah
  • Score: -3

10:52pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Over worked mother says...

nickynoodah wrote:
its on you tube you know poor video
not worth looking at.
This I would question..........th
e video that has been removed was very clear and if you had seen it and you can only comment that it is poor quality I am deeply saddened!
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: its on you tube you know poor video not worth looking at.[/p][/quote]This I would question..........th e video that has been removed was very clear and if you had seen it and you can only comment that it is poor quality I am deeply saddened! Over worked mother
  • Score: -2

10:56pm Mon 13 Jan 14

The_skiier says...

Lilsta94 wrote:
Sorry but I went to st Edwards and the amount of fights that broke out cuz of bullying or just because they were bored! Nothing EVER got sorted! The pupils would get excluded for a week or so (giving the child a week off school!) And that's all. Everything gets swept under the rug! It is truely ridiculous! I ended up having a mental/emotional breakdown and have no been on anti-depressants for about 3years now! I would not recommend this school to anyone! If I remember rightly! One year ofsted came for an inspection and the school excluded quite a few students! I have many more stories about that place. I had a horrible 4years there! xx
I mean you no offence... But st eds has changed the way they deal with things.
I am a current student at st Edwards and I have been threatened to be beaten up by people 2yrs older than me over Facebook.
The following day if getting the messages one lad cornered me and grabbed my neck threatening more if I don't stay out of his way. I was obviously very shaken and screen shoted the convocation for evidence about what had happend to me
The school dealt with it very well and he hasn't bothered me since
St Edwards IS a VERY GOOD school as a whole it's only some individuals that ruin the reputation
And I can tell you the the perpetrators gave been dealt with severely
[quote][p][bold]Lilsta94[/bold] wrote: Sorry but I went to st Edwards and the amount of fights that broke out cuz of bullying or just because they were bored! Nothing EVER got sorted! The pupils would get excluded for a week or so (giving the child a week off school!) And that's all. Everything gets swept under the rug! It is truely ridiculous! I ended up having a mental/emotional breakdown and have no been on anti-depressants for about 3years now! I would not recommend this school to anyone! If I remember rightly! One year ofsted came for an inspection and the school excluded quite a few students! I have many more stories about that place. I had a horrible 4years there! xx[/p][/quote]I mean you no offence... But st eds has changed the way they deal with things. I am a current student at st Edwards and I have been threatened to be beaten up by people 2yrs older than me over Facebook. The following day if getting the messages one lad cornered me and grabbed my neck threatening more if I don't stay out of his way. I was obviously very shaken and screen shoted the convocation for evidence about what had happend to me The school dealt with it very well and he hasn't bothered me since St Edwards IS a VERY GOOD school as a whole it's only some individuals that ruin the reputation And I can tell you the the perpetrators gave been dealt with severely The_skiier
  • Score: 4

11:49pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Yankee1 says...

Frank Zappa summed it up quite well:

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=YMdhWRO4-
dQ
Frank Zappa summed it up quite well: http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=YMdhWRO4- dQ Yankee1
  • Score: -1

11:55pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Yankee1 says...

O'Reilly wrote:
Roman Catholic Church of England School..............

.Que? Isn't that an oxymoron?
Perhaps it is part of the Southbourne Ordinariate?
[quote][p][bold]O'Reilly[/bold] wrote: Roman Catholic Church of England School.............. .Que? Isn't that an oxymoron?[/p][/quote]Perhaps it is part of the Southbourne Ordinariate? Yankee1
  • Score: 0

1:16am Tue 14 Jan 14

attra says...

In the past I have had a lot of close dealings with St Edwards over many years and have been shocked at how unsupportive and couldn't-care-less so many patents are towards the school. They run around their Vicars and Priests until they get the go-ahead to get their offspring in, because it is a good school, then that's the end of it. It's not unusual to have a whole class where not one student has attended a Christmas or Easter service and wouldn't even think to do so. By the time these students reach a Secondary school they are already formed, young adults. What they hear and learn at home in their families is what they bring in to school and nobody can expect teachers to reverse this in a packed school day - 5 hours, 5 packed lessons. No, the school can only work with the material is is given and many parents are sending in vicious, nasty, mouthy teenagers who care about nobody nor about education and their parents back them up however repulsive their language and behaviour is. That's the truth and people can scream it down if they like, but it doesn't change the facts
In the past I have had a lot of close dealings with St Edwards over many years and have been shocked at how unsupportive and couldn't-care-less so many patents are towards the school. They run around their Vicars and Priests until they get the go-ahead to get their offspring in, because it is a good school, then that's the end of it. It's not unusual to have a whole class where not one student has attended a Christmas or Easter service and wouldn't even think to do so. By the time these students reach a Secondary school they are already formed, young adults. What they hear and learn at home in their families is what they bring in to school and nobody can expect teachers to reverse this in a packed school day - 5 hours, 5 packed lessons. No, the school can only work with the material is is given and many parents are sending in vicious, nasty, mouthy teenagers who care about nobody nor about education and their parents back them up however repulsive their language and behaviour is. That's the truth and people can scream it down if they like, but it doesn't change the facts attra
  • Score: 14

3:35am Tue 14 Jan 14

hamworthygirl says...

Why is it that people are surprised by this incident st Edwards is no different to any other senior school. The situation needs to be dealt with and warnings to other pupils of the consequences of breaking school policies.There should be zero tolerance in every school against bullying.
Why is it that people are surprised by this incident st Edwards is no different to any other senior school. The situation needs to be dealt with and warnings to other pupils of the consequences of breaking school policies.There should be zero tolerance in every school against bullying. hamworthygirl
  • Score: 12

4:49pm Tue 14 Jan 14

suzigirl says...

attra wrote:
In the past I have had a lot of close dealings with St Edwards over many years and have been shocked at how unsupportive and couldn't-care-less so many patents are towards the school. They run around their Vicars and Priests until they get the go-ahead to get their offspring in, because it is a good school, then that's the end of it. It's not unusual to have a whole class where not one student has attended a Christmas or Easter service and wouldn't even think to do so. By the time these students reach a Secondary school they are already formed, young adults. What they hear and learn at home in their families is what they bring in to school and nobody can expect teachers to reverse this in a packed school day - 5 hours, 5 packed lessons. No, the school can only work with the material is is given and many parents are sending in vicious, nasty, mouthy teenagers who care about nobody nor about education and their parents back them up however repulsive their language and behaviour is. That's the truth and people can scream it down if they like, but it doesn't change the facts
Hypocrites!
[quote][p][bold]attra[/bold] wrote: In the past I have had a lot of close dealings with St Edwards over many years and have been shocked at how unsupportive and couldn't-care-less so many patents are towards the school. They run around their Vicars and Priests until they get the go-ahead to get their offspring in, because it is a good school, then that's the end of it. It's not unusual to have a whole class where not one student has attended a Christmas or Easter service and wouldn't even think to do so. By the time these students reach a Secondary school they are already formed, young adults. What they hear and learn at home in their families is what they bring in to school and nobody can expect teachers to reverse this in a packed school day - 5 hours, 5 packed lessons. No, the school can only work with the material is is given and many parents are sending in vicious, nasty, mouthy teenagers who care about nobody nor about education and their parents back them up however repulsive their language and behaviour is. That's the truth and people can scream it down if they like, but it doesn't change the facts[/p][/quote]Hypocrites! suzigirl
  • Score: -2

5:32pm Tue 14 Jan 14

sillybeans says...

This isn't the first time there has been a fight at a school, it happens all the time, even at the best private schools! The only reason people are shocked is because St Edwards is known for being a fantastic school and it is an unusual occurance, if it had been about Poole High no one would have bat an eye lid! The School is taking it seriously . Just hope the parents take it seriously too and start disciplining their unruly children!!
This isn't the first time there has been a fight at a school, it happens all the time, even at the best private schools! The only reason people are shocked is because St Edwards is known for being a fantastic school and it is an unusual occurance, if it had been about Poole High no one would have bat an eye lid! The School is taking it seriously . Just hope the parents take it seriously too and start disciplining their unruly children!! sillybeans
  • Score: 6

6:12pm Tue 14 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

attra wrote:
In the past I have had a lot of close dealings with St Edwards over many years and have been shocked at how unsupportive and couldn't-care-less so many patents are towards the school. They run around their Vicars and Priests until they get the go-ahead to get their offspring in, because it is a good school, then that's the end of it. It's not unusual to have a whole class where not one student has attended a Christmas or Easter service and wouldn't even think to do so. By the time these students reach a Secondary school they are already formed, young adults. What they hear and learn at home in their families is what they bring in to school and nobody can expect teachers to reverse this in a packed school day - 5 hours, 5 packed lessons. No, the school can only work with the material is is given and many parents are sending in vicious, nasty, mouthy teenagers who care about nobody nor about education and their parents back them up however repulsive their language and behaviour is. That's the truth and people can scream it down if they like, but it doesn't change the facts
spot on
[quote][p][bold]attra[/bold] wrote: In the past I have had a lot of close dealings with St Edwards over many years and have been shocked at how unsupportive and couldn't-care-less so many patents are towards the school. They run around their Vicars and Priests until they get the go-ahead to get their offspring in, because it is a good school, then that's the end of it. It's not unusual to have a whole class where not one student has attended a Christmas or Easter service and wouldn't even think to do so. By the time these students reach a Secondary school they are already formed, young adults. What they hear and learn at home in their families is what they bring in to school and nobody can expect teachers to reverse this in a packed school day - 5 hours, 5 packed lessons. No, the school can only work with the material is is given and many parents are sending in vicious, nasty, mouthy teenagers who care about nobody nor about education and their parents back them up however repulsive their language and behaviour is. That's the truth and people can scream it down if they like, but it doesn't change the facts[/p][/quote]spot on Bob49
  • Score: 3

6:20pm Tue 14 Jan 14

Over worked mother says...

Over worked mother wrote:
Has anyone commenting actually seen the footage. I have and let me tell you I was deeply upset by it! I for one wanted to know where the adults were as the noise of the pupils in the classroom appeared to be very loud how could it not have been heard let alone the foul language! 2. I hope that the school will take the whole group who video'd it, witnessed and started who then added fuel to the fire to task! 3.Educate the ones that looked on and did nothing. 4. and most importantly provide support to the victim who did not once retaliate after getting a viscious beating. Who then went on to be named on social media sites and received shocking nasty messages from pupils at the other schools in the county! Poor Samantha Todd springs to mind
Sorry should have read reminds me of Amanda Todd..........
[quote][p][bold]Over worked mother[/bold] wrote: Has anyone commenting actually seen the footage. I have and let me tell you I was deeply upset by it! I for one wanted to know where the adults were as the noise of the pupils in the classroom appeared to be very loud how could it not have been heard let alone the foul language! 2. I hope that the school will take the whole group who video'd it, witnessed and started who then added fuel to the fire to task! 3.Educate the ones that looked on and did nothing. 4. and most importantly provide support to the victim who did not once retaliate after getting a viscious beating. Who then went on to be named on social media sites and received shocking nasty messages from pupils at the other schools in the county! Poor Samantha Todd springs to mind[/p][/quote]Sorry should have read reminds me of Amanda Todd.......... Over worked mother
  • Score: 3

7:41pm Tue 14 Jan 14

AnonymousStudent says...

There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter?
The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.
There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school. AnonymousStudent
  • Score: -1

10:06pm Tue 14 Jan 14

The_skiier says...

AnonymousStudent wrote:
There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter?
The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.
I get u spot on NC there are great things in St. Edwards only the minority screw it up for the rest of us
NB
[quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.[/p][/quote]I get u spot on NC there are great things in St. Edwards only the minority screw it up for the rest of us NB The_skiier
  • Score: -1

7:35am Wed 15 Jan 14

Poole Pirate says...

AnonymousStudent wrote:
There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.
Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.
[quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.[/p][/quote]Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !. Poole Pirate
  • Score: 11

8:18am Wed 15 Jan 14

poolebabe says...

Poole Pirate wrote:
AnonymousStudent wrote:
There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.
Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.
Well said.
[quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.[/p][/quote]Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.[/p][/quote]Well said. poolebabe
  • Score: 10

4:07pm Wed 15 Jan 14

AnonymousStudent says...

poolebabe wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote:
AnonymousStudent wrote:
There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.
Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.
Well said.
There was no need to answer rudely/sarcastically
, 'May struggle to contemplate a few hours without your phone'. I assure you I can and do but thanks so much for your concern :) I do not use my phone within the classroom as I care about my GCSE grades, I would rather have the lesson time then being thrown out of the classroom, I was merely pointing out that using a mobile outside of the classroom isn't a very high offense to anyone, though there are some in the classroom which is disrespectful to others. Appropriate uniform is for a good reason eg skirts where you can see peoples bums no thank you neither appropriate or classy. Excessive jewelry can be ripped out especially when doing out door activities, make-up because that is how it should be worn to school orange faces yuck however using phones on break and lunch would not mean anything to the majority and would also encourage people to know try and 'slyly' use their phones in the classroom which ends up being detrimental to our education. In the 'world beyond' I'm sure that you are allowed mobiles in the workplace and even allowed to go on them at certain intervals. I do not understand the point of the rule, does not mean I do not follow them.
[quote][p][bold]poolebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.[/p][/quote]Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.[/p][/quote]Well said.[/p][/quote]There was no need to answer rudely/sarcastically , 'May struggle to contemplate a few hours without your phone'. I assure you I can and do but thanks so much for your concern :) I do not use my phone within the classroom as I care about my GCSE grades, I would rather have the lesson time then being thrown out of the classroom, I was merely pointing out that using a mobile outside of the classroom isn't a very high offense to anyone, though there are some in the classroom which is disrespectful to others. Appropriate uniform is for a good reason eg skirts where you can see peoples bums no thank you neither appropriate or classy. Excessive jewelry can be ripped out especially when doing out door activities, make-up because that is how it should be worn to school orange faces yuck however using phones on break and lunch would not mean anything to the majority and would also encourage people to know try and 'slyly' use their phones in the classroom which ends up being detrimental to our education. In the 'world beyond' I'm sure that you are allowed mobiles in the workplace and even allowed to go on them at certain intervals. I do not understand the point of the rule, does not mean I do not follow them. AnonymousStudent
  • Score: -6

4:14pm Wed 15 Jan 14

AnonymousStudent says...

AnonymousStudent wrote:
poolebabe wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote:
AnonymousStudent wrote:
There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.
Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.
Well said.
There was no need to answer rudely/sarcastically

, 'May struggle to contemplate a few hours without your phone'. I assure you I can and do but thanks so much for your concern :) I do not use my phone within the classroom as I care about my GCSE grades, I would rather have the lesson time then being thrown out of the classroom, I was merely pointing out that using a mobile outside of the classroom isn't a very high offense to anyone, though there are some in the classroom which is disrespectful to others. Appropriate uniform is for a good reason eg skirts where you can see peoples bums no thank you neither appropriate or classy. Excessive jewelry can be ripped out especially when doing out door activities, make-up because that is how it should be worn to school orange faces yuck however using phones on break and lunch would not mean anything to the majority and would also encourage people to know try and 'slyly' use their phones in the classroom which ends up being detrimental to our education. In the 'world beyond' I'm sure that you are allowed mobiles in the workplace and even allowed to go on them at certain intervals. I do not understand the point of the rule, does not mean I do not follow them.
I think there should be discipline within that of course, for example use your phone in a negative manner like the video recently posted then you should be forced to give in your mobile at the beginning of the day, with your items searched if claims rise that they do not have their phones with them. There is not enough discipline with in the school but that is something they're trying to change ; however they do handle the majority of situations well. Almost every person in that classroom has been internally or externally excluded some even unable to return to the school. I would say that was pretty quick and efficient discipline
[quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]poolebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.[/p][/quote]Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.[/p][/quote]Well said.[/p][/quote]There was no need to answer rudely/sarcastically , 'May struggle to contemplate a few hours without your phone'. I assure you I can and do but thanks so much for your concern :) I do not use my phone within the classroom as I care about my GCSE grades, I would rather have the lesson time then being thrown out of the classroom, I was merely pointing out that using a mobile outside of the classroom isn't a very high offense to anyone, though there are some in the classroom which is disrespectful to others. Appropriate uniform is for a good reason eg skirts where you can see peoples bums no thank you neither appropriate or classy. Excessive jewelry can be ripped out especially when doing out door activities, make-up because that is how it should be worn to school orange faces yuck however using phones on break and lunch would not mean anything to the majority and would also encourage people to know try and 'slyly' use their phones in the classroom which ends up being detrimental to our education. In the 'world beyond' I'm sure that you are allowed mobiles in the workplace and even allowed to go on them at certain intervals. I do not understand the point of the rule, does not mean I do not follow them.[/p][/quote]I think there should be discipline within that of course, for example use your phone in a negative manner like the video recently posted then you should be forced to give in your mobile at the beginning of the day, with your items searched if claims rise that they do not have their phones with them. There is not enough discipline with in the school but that is something they're trying to change ; however they do handle the majority of situations well. Almost every person in that classroom has been internally or externally excluded some even unable to return to the school. I would say that was pretty quick and efficient discipline AnonymousStudent
  • Score: -3

8:10pm Wed 15 Jan 14

GMax says...

AnonymousStudent wrote:
AnonymousStudent wrote:
poolebabe wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote:
AnonymousStudent wrote:
There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.
Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.
Well said.
There was no need to answer rudely/sarcastically


, 'May struggle to contemplate a few hours without your phone'. I assure you I can and do but thanks so much for your concern :) I do not use my phone within the classroom as I care about my GCSE grades, I would rather have the lesson time then being thrown out of the classroom, I was merely pointing out that using a mobile outside of the classroom isn't a very high offense to anyone, though there are some in the classroom which is disrespectful to others. Appropriate uniform is for a good reason eg skirts where you can see peoples bums no thank you neither appropriate or classy. Excessive jewelry can be ripped out especially when doing out door activities, make-up because that is how it should be worn to school orange faces yuck however using phones on break and lunch would not mean anything to the majority and would also encourage people to know try and 'slyly' use their phones in the classroom which ends up being detrimental to our education. In the 'world beyond' I'm sure that you are allowed mobiles in the workplace and even allowed to go on them at certain intervals. I do not understand the point of the rule, does not mean I do not follow them.
I think there should be discipline within that of course, for example use your phone in a negative manner like the video recently posted then you should be forced to give in your mobile at the beginning of the day, with your items searched if claims rise that they do not have their phones with them. There is not enough discipline with in the school but that is something they're trying to change ; however they do handle the majority of situations well. Almost every person in that classroom has been internally or externally excluded some even unable to return to the school. I would say that was pretty quick and efficient discipline
Of course they have taken this action, they had no choice but to take this course of action.
Why you ask, because it has become to public for them not to deal with it in this manner.
?
GMax.
[quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]poolebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnonymousStudent[/bold] wrote: There is probably around a thousand of us within the school, I attend there currently. I am in year eleven, I was not involved in the fight and neither was I in the room. Does this mean I should be punished for other peoples appalling behaviour? I know for a fact that if I had been in that room that I would have broken them apart, similarly to my friends. Why should we not be allowed on our mobiles, if we are not abusing them? If it is not in the classroom or disrupting our education then what does it matter? The school in the majority is good, don't judge our school by the minority. There are lots of lovely students within our school, the school can't organise a personality transplant for the others. Similar to the teachers most go above and beyond from the PE department who organise so much I'm not sure how they cope, to the drama department who anually put on plays , rock challenge and musicals for everyone to enjoy. Though I do dislike a few teachers, most put in a huge amount of effort into all pupils. This year , because I am in year 11, I will be sitting my GCSE's and all the form tutors had a meeting about how to help us revise. This is after many teachers have held multiple revision sessions ,in their own time, to help us succeed. One bad incident does not define a school.[/p][/quote]Life is full of rules Anonymous Student, not just at school but in the world beyond. They may not always seem fair or reasonable, but they are are there to protect us. At your school, no phones is a rule, appropriate dress code is a rule, no nail varnish, excessive make-up or jewellery is a rule. Unfortunately, in parallel with poor enforcement of rules, discipline also declines. However you may struggle to contemplate being separated from your phone for a few hours during the day, accept that it's the rule and that the rules are ultimately there for your benefit !.[/p][/quote]Well said.[/p][/quote]There was no need to answer rudely/sarcastically , 'May struggle to contemplate a few hours without your phone'. I assure you I can and do but thanks so much for your concern :) I do not use my phone within the classroom as I care about my GCSE grades, I would rather have the lesson time then being thrown out of the classroom, I was merely pointing out that using a mobile outside of the classroom isn't a very high offense to anyone, though there are some in the classroom which is disrespectful to others. Appropriate uniform is for a good reason eg skirts where you can see peoples bums no thank you neither appropriate or classy. Excessive jewelry can be ripped out especially when doing out door activities, make-up because that is how it should be worn to school orange faces yuck however using phones on break and lunch would not mean anything to the majority and would also encourage people to know try and 'slyly' use their phones in the classroom which ends up being detrimental to our education. In the 'world beyond' I'm sure that you are allowed mobiles in the workplace and even allowed to go on them at certain intervals. I do not understand the point of the rule, does not mean I do not follow them.[/p][/quote]I think there should be discipline within that of course, for example use your phone in a negative manner like the video recently posted then you should be forced to give in your mobile at the beginning of the day, with your items searched if claims rise that they do not have their phones with them. There is not enough discipline with in the school but that is something they're trying to change ; however they do handle the majority of situations well. Almost every person in that classroom has been internally or externally excluded some even unable to return to the school. I would say that was pretty quick and efficient discipline[/p][/quote]Of course they have taken this action, they had no choice but to take this course of action. Why you ask, because it has become to public for them not to deal with it in this manner. ? GMax. GMax
  • Score: 0

12:02am Thu 16 Jan 14

portia6 says...

leogril wrote:
Sadly no matter what measures are put in there will always be bullying within schools and with all the mobiles etc today stuff will end up on the internet and despite Mrs Bevan's comment of this is rare at St Edwards that is totally untrue it was just a case of this one was filmed. My daughter was bullied at that school and I repeatably rang and went in to school and nothing was done about it despite reassurances things would be done. Unfortunate this may seem but my estimation of St Edwards as a school in general has gone down since my son started there back in 2007 its all about results and not the well being of the pupils!
I agree, I found support was lacking when I needed to speak with a teacher
about an exam my son wanted to take. Fortunately Bournemouth college
helped and now he is at University. Mobile phones are essential nowadays
and could be a life-safer.
[quote][p][bold]leogril[/bold] wrote: Sadly no matter what measures are put in there will always be bullying within schools and with all the mobiles etc today stuff will end up on the internet and despite Mrs Bevan's comment of this is rare at St Edwards that is totally untrue it was just a case of this one was filmed. My daughter was bullied at that school and I repeatably rang and went in to school and nothing was done about it despite reassurances things would be done. Unfortunate this may seem but my estimation of St Edwards as a school in general has gone down since my son started there back in 2007 its all about results and not the well being of the pupils![/p][/quote]I agree, I found support was lacking when I needed to speak with a teacher about an exam my son wanted to take. Fortunately Bournemouth college helped and now he is at University. Mobile phones are essential nowadays and could be a life-safer. portia6
  • Score: -5

12:13am Thu 16 Jan 14

portia6 says...

leogril wrote:
Sadly no matter what measures are put in there will always be bullying within schools and with all the mobiles etc today stuff will end up on the internet and despite Mrs Bevan's comment of this is rare at St Edwards that is totally untrue it was just a case of this one was filmed. My daughter was bullied at that school and I repeatably rang and went in to school and nothing was done about it despite reassurances things would be done. Unfortunate this may seem but my estimation of St Edwards as a school in general has gone down since my son started there back in 2007 its all about results and not the well being of the pupils!
I agree, I found support was lacking when I needed to speak with a teacher
about an exam my son wanted to take. Fortunately Bournemouth college
helped and now he is at University. Mobile phones are essential nowadays
and could be a life-safer.
[quote][p][bold]leogril[/bold] wrote: Sadly no matter what measures are put in there will always be bullying within schools and with all the mobiles etc today stuff will end up on the internet and despite Mrs Bevan's comment of this is rare at St Edwards that is totally untrue it was just a case of this one was filmed. My daughter was bullied at that school and I repeatably rang and went in to school and nothing was done about it despite reassurances things would be done. Unfortunate this may seem but my estimation of St Edwards as a school in general has gone down since my son started there back in 2007 its all about results and not the well being of the pupils![/p][/quote]I agree, I found support was lacking when I needed to speak with a teacher about an exam my son wanted to take. Fortunately Bournemouth college helped and now he is at University. Mobile phones are essential nowadays and could be a life-safer. portia6
  • Score: -1

7:31am Thu 16 Jan 14

David_divenghy2 says...

They will be claiming they are "victims" of something later on, when it suits them.
They will be claiming they are "victims" of something later on, when it suits them. David_divenghy2
  • Score: 3

9:17pm Thu 16 Jan 14

attra says...

suzigirl wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote:
The school may well "prohibit the use of mobile phones" on school premises, but from what I'm led to believe this prohibition is largely disregarded by the pupils and poorly enforced by staff (rather like the make-up 'rule' for girls). Its about time that all schools adopted a zero tolerance policy towards the breaking of their 'rules' and a little more discipline was maintained. You break the rules, you get suspended !.
Some of the pupils also need to be taught to cross the road properly. I drive to work near the school and the amount of times a hoard of pupils just cross the road without looking (usually with headphones or on their mobiles) blatantly ignoring the fact that there is a car coming towards them and they just meander across the road as well. Also the amount of pupils cycling to school not wearing cycling helmets and no lights! They also use the small wood adjacement to the school at lunchtimes and leave all their lunch litter behind! (Rant over).
Well Suzigirl , it's not a rant, it's true! I too occasionally drive down that road when the students are out and every single time I have to virtually stop my car in the centre of the road. I am only crawling anyway, due to awareness of the congestion and danger there. A band of students will just walk out in front of my car whilst pushing and shoving each other, glare at me just for being in 'their' road and then give me an insolent smirk when I eventually manage to continue my journey. The only reason there aren't accidents there is the tolerance of motorists. Staff are sometimes on duty at the gate, but students seem to have no fear or respect for them and walk out into the path of cars, often wearing headphones, almost in front of them.
[quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: The school may well "prohibit the use of mobile phones" on school premises, but from what I'm led to believe this prohibition is largely disregarded by the pupils and poorly enforced by staff (rather like the make-up 'rule' for girls). Its about time that all schools adopted a zero tolerance policy towards the breaking of their 'rules' and a little more discipline was maintained. You break the rules, you get suspended !.[/p][/quote]Some of the pupils also need to be taught to cross the road properly. I drive to work near the school and the amount of times a hoard of pupils just cross the road without looking (usually with headphones or on their mobiles) blatantly ignoring the fact that there is a car coming towards them and they just meander across the road as well. Also the amount of pupils cycling to school not wearing cycling helmets and no lights! They also use the small wood adjacement to the school at lunchtimes and leave all their lunch litter behind! (Rant over).[/p][/quote]Well Suzigirl , it's not a rant, it's true! I too occasionally drive down that road when the students are out and every single time I have to virtually stop my car in the centre of the road. I am only crawling anyway, due to awareness of the congestion and danger there. A band of students will just walk out in front of my car whilst pushing and shoving each other, glare at me just for being in 'their' road and then give me an insolent smirk when I eventually manage to continue my journey. The only reason there aren't accidents there is the tolerance of motorists. Staff are sometimes on duty at the gate, but students seem to have no fear or respect for them and walk out into the path of cars, often wearing headphones, almost in front of them. attra
  • Score: 1

12:48pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Gottagonow says...

My son was beaten and strangled while friends laughed and recorded it on phone this weekend. It seems they find this type of abuse funny...exciting... entertainment! ...I am still numb!
My son was beaten and strangled while friends laughed and recorded it on phone this weekend. It seems they find this type of abuse funny...exciting... entertainment! ...I am still numb! Gottagonow
  • Score: 0

1:18pm Mon 3 Feb 14

attra says...

If it was at the weekend what had it got to do with the school?
If it was at the weekend what had it got to do with the school? attra
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree