VIDEO: Crime author's £18,000 Porsche torched in "copycat" arson attack

Bournemouth Echo: GUTTED: Novelist and businessman Andrew Towning whose Porsche has been torched GUTTED: Novelist and businessman Andrew Towning whose Porsche has been torched

A CRIME novelist’s £18,000 Porsche has been destroyed in what has been dubbed a malicious “copycat” arson attack. The sleek Porsche Carrera belonging to action-thriller author Andrew Towning was engulfed in a blazing fireball which also badly damaged his wife’s Mini Cooper.

Petrol was also thrown over their 24-year-old daughter’s Audi TT as it sat in the driveway of their house in Montacute Way, Merley, at 10.15pm on Thursday.

Daughter Harriet, 24, said: “We think it was a copycat attack because lots of Porsches are blown up in my dad’s books.

“If it was a targeted attack then the person has chosen the thing he loves the most. It was his pride and joy and was in pristine condition.”

Andrew said: “I’m gutted, absolutely gutted that someone had the malicious nature to do that.

“I worked very hard to get that car and it is a car I would have kept forever.

“In my third book, the Shroud of Concealment, the lead character had his Porsche blown up in the street.

“There are some very strange people around, so who knows.” A man was seen running from the house carrying a green petrol canister by the youngest daughter, 19-year-old Elouise.

She said: “I heard a really loud bang like an explosion and I looked out of the window and there were 10ft flames blazing up from the cars.

“I saw a man running away from the scene down Queen Anne Drive.”

Two fire crews from Wimborne attended the incident and the fire was brought under control at 11.10pm.

A spokesperson from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire was believed to be caused by deliberate ignition and completely destroyed one car, caused 50 per cent damage to another vehicle and 50 per cent damage to the roof of the car port.”

Mum Paula, 50, said: “I’m just so shocked and upset that this has happened. What have we done wrong?”

Andrew has been an author of crime novels since 2006 and his books include The Constantine Legacy, Dead Men Don’t Bite, Shroud of Concealment and most recently the Chimera Code.

The family also owns Rapid Response Fittings based in Poole.

A spokesperson from Dorset Police said: “Detectives are appealing for witnesses to the arson attack. If you were in the area and saw anything suspicious call 101 quoting incident number 9:481.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:07am Sat 11 Jan 14

Huey says...

Oh dear, I hope the nothing else bad happened in the book...
Oh dear, I hope the nothing else bad happened in the book... Huey

7:20am Sat 11 Jan 14

Peggy Babcock says...

Has this now turned into a promotion story?
Has this now turned into a promotion story? Peggy Babcock

7:29am Sat 11 Jan 14

nothingtofear says...

Where are all the people who were on here yesterday claiming that it's an insurance scam?
Where are all the people who were on here yesterday claiming that it's an insurance scam? nothingtofear

7:33am Sat 11 Jan 14

Lord Spring says...

nothingtofear wrote:
Where are all the people who were on here yesterday claiming that it's an insurance scam?
Give them chance its only early morning.
[quote][p][bold]nothingtofear[/bold] wrote: Where are all the people who were on here yesterday claiming that it's an insurance scam?[/p][/quote]Give them chance its only early morning. Lord Spring

9:20am Sat 11 Jan 14

nothingtofear says...

Lord Spring wrote:
nothingtofear wrote:
Where are all the people who were on here yesterday claiming that it's an insurance scam?
Give them chance its only early morning.
Sorry Lord Spring, it isn't early where I am but I forgot to take the time difference into account.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Spring[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nothingtofear[/bold] wrote: Where are all the people who were on here yesterday claiming that it's an insurance scam?[/p][/quote]Give them chance its only early morning.[/p][/quote]Sorry Lord Spring, it isn't early where I am but I forgot to take the time difference into account. nothingtofear

9:27am Sat 11 Jan 14

carrrob says...

Yes why the need to add details of his other company !
Yes why the need to add details of his other company ! carrrob

9:29am Sat 11 Jan 14

BIGTONE says...

They thought he was Simon Cowell......solved.
They thought he was Simon Cowell......solved. BIGTONE

10:39am Sat 11 Jan 14

Just_Sayin' says...

As much as I often enjoy the humorous comments in here and yes, the promotion is a little bit unnecessary (I didn't recognise his name either) in this instance I think the fact that both his and the neighbouring houses could have gone up in flames makes the joking a little uncomfortable. Whether this was connected to his novels or not, the fact that a criminal damage investigation could have easily been a murder enquiry is worrying.
As much as I often enjoy the humorous comments in here and yes, the promotion is a little bit unnecessary (I didn't recognise his name either) in this instance I think the fact that both his and the neighbouring houses could have gone up in flames makes the joking a little uncomfortable. Whether this was connected to his novels or not, the fact that a criminal damage investigation could have easily been a murder enquiry is worrying. Just_Sayin'

11:18am Sat 11 Jan 14

pete woodley says...

Arson is not a joke.
Arson is not a joke. pete woodley

12:25pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Mike R-B says...

pete woodley wrote:
Arson is not a joke.
Interestingly, if one drives ones vehicle through floods and the upholstery or worse the engine gets damaged, the insurance company will not cover you. However;............
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: Arson is not a joke.[/p][/quote]Interestingly, if one drives ones vehicle through floods and the upholstery or worse the engine gets damaged, the insurance company will not cover you. However;............ Mike R-B

12:31pm Sat 11 Jan 14

lioneart23 says...

Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it
Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it lioneart23

12:39pm Sat 11 Jan 14

rozmister says...

lioneart23 wrote:
Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it
Why is it any of your business what car she has or she spends money?! She might not be ready to buy yet because of her career or future aspirations or she might just be happy living with her parents. Why force your idea of happiness onto others?
[quote][p][bold]lioneart23[/bold] wrote: Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it[/p][/quote]Why is it any of your business what car she has or she spends money?! She might not be ready to buy yet because of her career or future aspirations or she might just be happy living with her parents. Why force your idea of happiness onto others? rozmister

1:54pm Sat 11 Jan 14

arti273 says...

It's a terrible thing to happen but I have to agree with some of the other comments about promotion of his books and business. Why not go the whole hog and add affiliate weblinks to Amazon?

Each to their own, but heaven's forfid, if this ever happened to my family I would be doing every in my power to protect them which would include not speaking to press and adding my home address to the mix (bear in mind yesterday's article just stated Merley).
It's a terrible thing to happen but I have to agree with some of the other comments about promotion of his books and business. Why not go the whole hog and add affiliate weblinks to Amazon? Each to their own, but heaven's forfid, if this ever happened to my family I would be doing every in my power to protect them which would include not speaking to press and adding my home address to the mix (bear in mind yesterday's article just stated Merley). arti273

2:09pm Sat 11 Jan 14

typ nowhere says...

arti273 wrote:
It's a terrible thing to happen but I have to agree with some of the other comments about promotion of his books and business. Why not go the whole hog and add affiliate weblinks to Amazon?

Each to their own, but heaven's forfid, if this ever happened to my family I would be doing every in my power to protect them which would include not speaking to press and adding my home address to the mix (bear in mind yesterday's article just stated Merley).
No it stated the road as well.
[quote][p][bold]arti273[/bold] wrote: It's a terrible thing to happen but I have to agree with some of the other comments about promotion of his books and business. Why not go the whole hog and add affiliate weblinks to Amazon? Each to their own, but heaven's forfid, if this ever happened to my family I would be doing every in my power to protect them which would include not speaking to press and adding my home address to the mix (bear in mind yesterday's article just stated Merley).[/p][/quote]No it stated the road as well. typ nowhere

2:26pm Sat 11 Jan 14

High Treason says...

He should spend some money on a CCTV system. Yobs do not like them and avoid places where they are installed. Even though they can cover their faces they realise a CCTV image that is recorded helps the police.
He should spend some money on a CCTV system. Yobs do not like them and avoid places where they are installed. Even though they can cover their faces they realise a CCTV image that is recorded helps the police. High Treason

3:37pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Turtlebay says...

“There are some very strange people around,.." ,and yet you encourage them by glorifying their stupidity for your own profit! If authors like you didn't give them the idea in the first place they wouldn't do it.
“There are some very strange people around,.." ,and yet you encourage them by glorifying their stupidity for your own profit! If authors like you didn't give them the idea in the first place they wouldn't do it. Turtlebay

4:07pm Sat 11 Jan 14

lioneart23 says...

Mike R-B wrote:
pete woodley wrote:
Arson is not a joke.
Interestingly, if one drives ones vehicle through floods and the upholstery or worse the engine gets damaged, the insurance company will not cover you. However;............
Are you saying he drove through the water at Magna Road and his engine got flooded along with the interior oops I think the cat has been let out the bag
[quote][p][bold]Mike R-B[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: Arson is not a joke.[/p][/quote]Interestingly, if one drives ones vehicle through floods and the upholstery or worse the engine gets damaged, the insurance company will not cover you. However;............[/p][/quote]Are you saying he drove through the water at Magna Road and his engine got flooded along with the interior oops I think the cat has been let out the bag lioneart23

4:28pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Villz says...

I see that the books are self published!!
I see that the books are self published!! Villz

2:30pm Sun 12 Jan 14

BH1 loyal says...

lioneart23 wrote:
Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it
And the fact that you can buy an Audi tt for as little as a couple of grand, you nosey, interfering, jealous person your comment makes me think you can't buy yourself a flat or a tt.
[quote][p][bold]lioneart23[/bold] wrote: Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it[/p][/quote]And the fact that you can buy an Audi tt for as little as a couple of grand, you nosey, interfering, jealous person your comment makes me think you can't buy yourself a flat or a tt. BH1 loyal

5:01pm Sun 12 Jan 14

lioneart23 says...

BH1 loyal wrote:
lioneart23 wrote:
Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it
And the fact that you can buy an Audi tt for as little as a couple of grand, you nosey, interfering, jealous person your comment makes me think you can't buy yourself a flat or a tt.
Ok if you say
[quote][p][bold]BH1 loyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lioneart23[/bold] wrote: Harriet 24 and her TT why don't you sell that and buy yourself a flat oh you can't it's all about the image isn't it[/p][/quote]And the fact that you can buy an Audi tt for as little as a couple of grand, you nosey, interfering, jealous person your comment makes me think you can't buy yourself a flat or a tt.[/p][/quote]Ok if you say lioneart23

7:01pm Sun 12 Jan 14

kalebmoledirt says...

One thing is for sure ,he hasn't got a bone through his nose.or he would have mentioned it
One thing is for sure ,he hasn't got a bone through his nose.or he would have mentioned it kalebmoledirt

3:09pm Mon 13 Jan 14

suzigirl says...

I bet you the Mini cost more than the Porsche!
I bet you the Mini cost more than the Porsche! suzigirl

6:08pm Tue 14 Jan 14

user999 says...

Who are any of you to comment when you know notthing about the family, the business or the books. Have a little bit of humanity and take note of what your mothers should have told you 'if you have notthing nice to say. say notthing at all' you rude heartless ville people.
Who are any of you to comment when you know notthing about the family, the business or the books. Have a little bit of humanity and take note of what your mothers should have told you 'if you have notthing nice to say. say notthing at all' you rude heartless ville people. user999

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree