Former holiday park warden honoured for bravery after saving life of girl stuck in quicksand

Bournemouth Echo: HERO: lifesaver Stephen Price, who is being honoured for his bravery HERO: lifesaver Stephen Price, who is being honoured for his bravery

A FORMER holiday park warden and Christchurch policeman have been honoured with a UK bravery award for saving the life of a young girl stuck in quicksand. After hearing a 13-year-old girl was trapped in mud up to her chest, heroic Stephen Price jumped off the cliff at Naish beach to reach her and proceeded to dig her out to safety.

Police swiftly attended the scene and PC David Mann also risked his life to save Tia Wilkins as she struggled against being sucked to a horrible death on May 27 last year.

Now both heroes are being awarded Royal Humane Society testimonials for saving the life of the 13-year-old following a recommendation from Dorset Police. Stephen, 46, who was the resident warden at Naish Holiday Park in New Milton, said: “I’m overwhelmed to be receiving this award. I’m in tears, it’s unbelievable.

“A security guard came running into reception and said a girl was stuck in the mud, so I drove to the cliff and jumped down as it’s a gradual slope.

“I told her to keep still and I lay out on the mud and started digging her out. She was hysterical, but calmed down.

“She definitely would have died if I hadn’t been there.”

Tia was walking along a path near a cliff top when she stepped off the path and found herself sinking in the quicksand.

Chairman of Hoburne Holiday Parks, Rosie Kennar said: “We are very proud of all Steve did that day to help the young girl and her family and send our warm congratulations to him and PC Mann on their richly-deserved awards.”

The Royal Humane Society grants awards for those who put their own lives at risk to save or attempt to save someone.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:03am Thu 9 Jan 14

GAHmusic says...

I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting
I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting GAHmusic
  • Score: -6

7:45pm Thu 9 Jan 14

JustForPoole says...

GAHmusic wrote:
I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting
That`s a bit like saying you cannot drown in 2 inches of water ... but we all know you can. So don`t be ridiculous with you writings and give credit where it is due. Faced with what was seen these people bravely faced the unknown to save a life ... well done !!! PS GAHmusic ... I hope you never fall in a quicksand or face down in 2 inches of water for that matter ... get a life!!!
[quote][p][bold]GAHmusic[/bold] wrote: I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting[/p][/quote]That`s a bit like saying you cannot drown in 2 inches of water ... but we all know you can. So don`t be ridiculous with you writings and give credit where it is due. Faced with what was seen these people bravely faced the unknown to save a life ... well done !!! PS GAHmusic ... I hope you never fall in a quicksand or face down in 2 inches of water for that matter ... get a life!!! JustForPoole
  • Score: 2

8:17am Fri 10 Jan 14

GAHmusic says...

JustForPoole wrote:
GAHmusic wrote:
I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting
That`s a bit like saying you cannot drown in 2 inches of water ... but we all know you can. So don`t be ridiculous with you writings and give credit where it is due. Faced with what was seen these people bravely faced the unknown to save a life ... well done !!! PS GAHmusic ... I hope you never fall in a quicksand or face down in 2 inches of water for that matter ... get a life!!!
Try educating yourself a bit rather than just speculating
[quote][p][bold]JustForPoole[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GAHmusic[/bold] wrote: I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting[/p][/quote]That`s a bit like saying you cannot drown in 2 inches of water ... but we all know you can. So don`t be ridiculous with you writings and give credit where it is due. Faced with what was seen these people bravely faced the unknown to save a life ... well done !!! PS GAHmusic ... I hope you never fall in a quicksand or face down in 2 inches of water for that matter ... get a life!!![/p][/quote]Try educating yourself a bit rather than just speculating GAHmusic
  • Score: 1

8:41am Fri 10 Jan 14

JustForPoole says...

GAHmusic wrote:
JustForPoole wrote:
GAHmusic wrote:
I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting
That`s a bit like saying you cannot drown in 2 inches of water ... but we all know you can. So don`t be ridiculous with you writings and give credit where it is due. Faced with what was seen these people bravely faced the unknown to save a life ... well done !!! PS GAHmusic ... I hope you never fall in a quicksand or face down in 2 inches of water for that matter ... get a life!!!
Try educating yourself a bit rather than just speculating
Done that ... hence the common sense response with a bit of thought for the have a go hero ... not a moronic comment trying to knock him off a well earned pedestal!!!
[quote][p][bold]GAHmusic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JustForPoole[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GAHmusic[/bold] wrote: I hate to tell you this guys but high tide and drowning are a risk, hyperthermia is also a risk but being sucked to a horrible death is just movie hype as it cannot happen in real life as mud being water based will allow you to float. in fact it is actually quite difficult to sink past a certain point. Still makes the story seem exciting[/p][/quote]That`s a bit like saying you cannot drown in 2 inches of water ... but we all know you can. So don`t be ridiculous with you writings and give credit where it is due. Faced with what was seen these people bravely faced the unknown to save a life ... well done !!! PS GAHmusic ... I hope you never fall in a quicksand or face down in 2 inches of water for that matter ... get a life!!![/p][/quote]Try educating yourself a bit rather than just speculating[/p][/quote]Done that ... hence the common sense response with a bit of thought for the have a go hero ... not a moronic comment trying to knock him off a well earned pedestal!!! JustForPoole
  • Score: -1

11:45am Fri 10 Jan 14

julie777 says...

Are there no warning signs on this path?
I would never stay in an area like that if I thought there could be any risk of quicksand. Is anyone taking action to make it safer?
Are there no warning signs on this path? I would never stay in an area like that if I thought there could be any risk of quicksand. Is anyone taking action to make it safer? julie777
  • Score: -1

11:51am Fri 10 Jan 14

JustForPoole says...

"Making it safer" ???? Probably GAHmusic ... see his/her ridiculous opening comment!!!
"Making it safer" ???? Probably GAHmusic ... see his/her ridiculous opening comment!!! JustForPoole
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree