Falkland Square reopened after reports of a 'bomb scare'

Bournemouth Echo: Evacuation at Falkland Square after reports of a 'bomb scare' Evacuation at Falkland Square after reports of a 'bomb scare'

STAFF and shoppers were evacuated from stores in Poole’s Falkland Square this afternoon, following a security alert.

Police cordoned off part of the square outside WH Smith after reports of a suspicious package, it is believed.

Officers shepherded shoppers away from the area, before a police sniffer dog and handler entered WH Smith to check out the store. The all-clear was given two hours later.

Dorset Police Sgt Iain Fraser said: “At 2.03pm there was a security alert in WH Smith. The area was evacuated and police officers, together with dogs, carried out a search and it was determined there was no cause for concern.”

Sgt Fraser said he couldn’t give the Daily Echo more information about exactly what prompted the alert as officers were still investigating the incident.

WH Smith staff also remained tight-lipped about events leading up to the evacuation.

Staff from Carphone Warehouse and several neighbouring retail units were also asked to vacate their premises.

However, passenger and freight trains continued to be run through the railway crossing, just yards from the cordon.

Around an hour-and-a- half after police were first called, while the safety cordon remained in place, Chief Inspector Ben Hargreaves of Dorset Police confirmed: “At this time there is no reason to suppose there is any cause for concern. Police officers and dog teams are carrying out a search of the area and it is anticipated it will conclude shortly.”

Shopper Mark Williamson, one of scores of people forced to wait until police gave the all-clear, said: “To start with nobody knew what was going on, the police haven’t actually told us anything. I guess they’ve got more important things to concentrate on.

“I was here when it first happened and a woman police officer just told us all to move away because it wasn’t safe to remain in the area.”

Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time.”

The police finally gave the all-clear around 4pm and the square was fully reopened.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:37pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Jetwasher says...

Another reason not to shop in poole :)
Another reason not to shop in poole :) Jetwasher

3:45pm Mon 6 Jan 14

chrisii1991 says...

Probably te same thing in highcliffe. the rain causing damage
Probably te same thing in highcliffe. the rain causing damage chrisii1991

4:06pm Mon 6 Jan 14

H2o-hara says...

If it's a bomb scare then I would think there is every reason to be concerned .
If it's a bomb scare then I would think there is every reason to be concerned . H2o-hara

5:04pm Mon 6 Jan 14

VAGINADINER says...

Was it a water-bomb?
Was it a water-bomb? VAGINADINER

5:15pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Arthur Maureen says...

The cops look more concerned about the potential closure / evacuation of the Cornish pasty shop
The cops look more concerned about the potential closure / evacuation of the Cornish pasty shop Arthur Maureen

7:20pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Tonytolle says...

Thankyou Tony Blair your foreign policy has made you very wealthy ,and the rest of us afraid of our own shadows.
Thankyou Tony Blair your foreign policy has made you very wealthy ,and the rest of us afraid of our own shadows. Tonytolle

7:41pm Mon 6 Jan 14

nickynoodah says...

The five scruffy hindrances
Smarten up and try and look lively
for **** SAKE
The five scruffy hindrances Smarten up and try and look lively for **** SAKE nickynoodah

9:23pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Staynor66 says...

nickynoodah wrote:
The five scruffy hindrances
Smarten up and try and look lively
for **** SAKE
How do you look lively on a still photo,,,,,,,besides they are the ones stood in the cordon putting there lives at risk. I suspect you are quite safe typing away at a safe distance
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: The five scruffy hindrances Smarten up and try and look lively for **** SAKE[/p][/quote]How do you look lively on a still photo,,,,,,,besides they are the ones stood in the cordon putting there lives at risk. I suspect you are quite safe typing away at a safe distance Staynor66

9:28pm Mon 6 Jan 14

HRH of Boscombe says...

nickynoodah wrote:
The five scruffy hindrances
Smarten up and try and look lively
for **** SAKE
Duh! The tape's there so they don't wander off and hurt themselves!
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: The five scruffy hindrances Smarten up and try and look lively for **** SAKE[/p][/quote]Duh! The tape's there so they don't wander off and hurt themselves! HRH of Boscombe

9:41pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Staynor66 says...

HRH of Boscombe wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
The five scruffy hindrances
Smarten up and try and look lively
for **** SAKE
Duh! The tape's there so they don't wander off and hurt themselves!
Well you be careful don't want you breaking a nail on your keyboard
[quote][p][bold]HRH of Boscombe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: The five scruffy hindrances Smarten up and try and look lively for **** SAKE[/p][/quote]Duh! The tape's there so they don't wander off and hurt themselves![/p][/quote]Well you be careful don't want you breaking a nail on your keyboard Staynor66

9:50pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Arthur Maureen says...

Staynor66 wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
The five scruffy hindrances
Smarten up and try and look lively
for **** SAKE
How do you look lively on a still photo,,,,,,,besides they are the ones stood in the cordon putting there lives at risk. I suspect you are quite safe typing away at a safe distance
Nickynoodah loves the uniform, often swiping handcuffs and truncheons off the wpcs after a late night sesh on her back
[quote][p][bold]Staynor66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: The five scruffy hindrances Smarten up and try and look lively for **** SAKE[/p][/quote]How do you look lively on a still photo,,,,,,,besides they are the ones stood in the cordon putting there lives at risk. I suspect you are quite safe typing away at a safe distance[/p][/quote]Nickynoodah loves the uniform, often swiping handcuffs and truncheons off the wpcs after a late night sesh on her back Arthur Maureen

10:24pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Staynor66 says...

Arthur Maureen wrote:
Staynor66 wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
The five scruffy hindrances
Smarten up and try and look lively
for **** SAKE
How do you look lively on a still photo,,,,,,,besides they are the ones stood in the cordon putting there lives at risk. I suspect you are quite safe typing away at a safe distance
Nickynoodah loves the uniform, often swiping handcuffs and truncheons off the wpcs after a late night sesh on her back
I think you should stay off certain sky channels for a while......
[quote][p][bold]Arthur Maureen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Staynor66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: The five scruffy hindrances Smarten up and try and look lively for **** SAKE[/p][/quote]How do you look lively on a still photo,,,,,,,besides they are the ones stood in the cordon putting there lives at risk. I suspect you are quite safe typing away at a safe distance[/p][/quote]Nickynoodah loves the uniform, often swiping handcuffs and truncheons off the wpcs after a late night sesh on her back[/p][/quote]I think you should stay off certain sky channels for a while...... Staynor66

11:55pm Mon 6 Jan 14

rozmister says...

Tonytolle wrote:
Thankyou Tony Blair your foreign policy has made you very wealthy ,and the rest of us afraid of our own shadows.
Because no one was scared of the IRA...I can remember the extra security put in place where I lived as a kid because we were a high risk area. That threat was nothing to do with tony Blair but it felt pretty real when suddenly there were a lot more soldiers carrying guns guarding our local airfield & they put a load of barbed wire on top! Terrorism isn't a new problem.
[quote][p][bold]Tonytolle[/bold] wrote: Thankyou Tony Blair your foreign policy has made you very wealthy ,and the rest of us afraid of our own shadows.[/p][/quote]Because no one was scared of the IRA...I can remember the extra security put in place where I lived as a kid because we were a high risk area. That threat was nothing to do with tony Blair but it felt pretty real when suddenly there were a lot more soldiers carrying guns guarding our local airfield & they put a load of barbed wire on top! Terrorism isn't a new problem. rozmister

12:06am Tue 7 Jan 14

cheeriedriteup says...

Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time

ARE YOU SURE,!, this is
Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target
Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time ARE YOU SURE,!, this is Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target cheeriedriteup

3:42am Tue 7 Jan 14

MCAME1989 says...

I think I got more info talking to one of the carphone warehouse workers than reading this article!
He definitely knew more!
I think I got more info talking to one of the carphone warehouse workers than reading this article! He definitely knew more! MCAME1989

8:46am Tue 7 Jan 14

jill M says...

cheeriedriteup wrote:
Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time

ARE YOU SURE,!, this is
Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target
I worked in the Dolphin Centre, or Arndale Centre as it was then in the seventies, and I can remember being evacuated because of a bomb scare. Because of the troubles with the IRA , people used to think it was funny to phone and say there was a bomb on the premises.
As to the regular police bashing posters, you try dressing up in a stab vest and bulky waterproof coat, and let's see how slim you look. It's nice to sit at home and criticise while our police are out in this awful weather trying to cope with all the accidents, fallen trees and flooding that's happening at the moment, Thankyou to all our emergency services.
[quote][p][bold]cheeriedriteup[/bold] wrote: Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time ARE YOU SURE,!, this is Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target[/p][/quote]I worked in the Dolphin Centre, or Arndale Centre as it was then in the seventies, and I can remember being evacuated because of a bomb scare. Because of the troubles with the IRA , people used to think it was funny to phone and say there was a bomb on the premises. As to the regular police bashing posters, you try dressing up in a stab vest and bulky waterproof coat, and let's see how slim you look. It's nice to sit at home and criticise while our police are out in this awful weather trying to cope with all the accidents, fallen trees and flooding that's happening at the moment, Thankyou to all our emergency services. jill M

10:41am Tue 7 Jan 14

suzigirl says...

jill M wrote:
cheeriedriteup wrote: Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time ARE YOU SURE,!, this is Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target
I worked in the Dolphin Centre, or Arndale Centre as it was then in the seventies, and I can remember being evacuated because of a bomb scare. Because of the troubles with the IRA , people used to think it was funny to phone and say there was a bomb on the premises. As to the regular police bashing posters, you try dressing up in a stab vest and bulky waterproof coat, and let's see how slim you look. It's nice to sit at home and criticise while our police are out in this awful weather trying to cope with all the accidents, fallen trees and flooding that's happening at the moment, Thankyou to all our emergency services.
I worked in Belfast in the 70's - everyone on foot was searched going into the City Centre - the place where I worked was bombed and I was also evacuated from a train because it had a bomb on it! Sadly it was a way of life in Northern Ireland and you just had to get on with it!
[quote][p][bold]jill M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cheeriedriteup[/bold] wrote: Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time ARE YOU SURE,!, this is Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target[/p][/quote]I worked in the Dolphin Centre, or Arndale Centre as it was then in the seventies, and I can remember being evacuated because of a bomb scare. Because of the troubles with the IRA , people used to think it was funny to phone and say there was a bomb on the premises. As to the regular police bashing posters, you try dressing up in a stab vest and bulky waterproof coat, and let's see how slim you look. It's nice to sit at home and criticise while our police are out in this awful weather trying to cope with all the accidents, fallen trees and flooding that's happening at the moment, Thankyou to all our emergency services.[/p][/quote]I worked in Belfast in the 70's - everyone on foot was searched going into the City Centre - the place where I worked was bombed and I was also evacuated from a train because it had a bomb on it! Sadly it was a way of life in Northern Ireland and you just had to get on with it! suzigirl

1:01pm Tue 7 Jan 14

nickynoodah says...

Sgt Fraser said he couldn’t give the Daily Echo more information about exactly what prompted the alert as officers were still investigating


Is this the same old Sgt Fraser from Dads Army
looks and sounds like him could be him you know.
Sgt Fraser said he couldn’t give the Daily Echo more information about exactly what prompted the alert as officers were still investigating Is this the same old Sgt Fraser from Dads Army looks and sounds like him could be him you know. nickynoodah

10:43am Wed 8 Jan 14

mithrandir says...

cheeriedriteup wrote:
Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time

ARE YOU SURE,!, this is
Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target
The IRA would have loved to have harmed some of the Marines, based in Poole. We were a regular target on their lists.
[quote][p][bold]cheeriedriteup[/bold] wrote: Another elderly shopper, who asked not to be named, said: “It takes me back to the 1970s and 80s when we’d have bomb scares all the time ARE YOU SURE,!, this is Poole not some City the IRA wanted to target[/p][/quote]The IRA would have loved to have harmed some of the Marines, based in Poole. We were a regular target on their lists. mithrandir

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree