When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Poole MP voices concern about redevelopment of town quay’s marina
POOLE MP Robert Syms has written to the Crown Estate amid rising concerns about the future redevelopment of the town quay’s marina.
The Daily Echo reported earlier this week how outraged Poole Harbour stakeholders were being urged to make their feelings plain to the Crown Estate as details emerged of a rival marina plan for the quay.
MDL, which owns Cobbs Quay, has emerged as the Crown Estate’s preferred bidder for a Poole Quay marina, over Poole Harbour Commissioners (PHC) proposal, and could be confirmed in early January.
Mr Syms has expressed concern that no consultation has taken place with key stakeholders, business and residents.
He added: “I have received some scant information about what MDL are proposing but this is in no way detailed enough and I have requested a meeting with Crown Estate as early as possible to discuss the concerns that my constituents have raised with me.”
Speaking at a recent stakeholders meeting, Jim Stewart, chief executive of PHC, said MDL had revealed plans for a bridge at the edge of Baiter, across a protected SSSI with a road out to an island with parking for 200 cars.
There would be a 600-berth marina on the outside of their existing boat haven, restaurants and bars.
Ward councillor Mark Howell, leader of Poole People, has urged concerned residents to write to the Crown Estate.
He said: “I think it will be really damaging for the harbour.”
Mr Stewart insists PHC has no quarrel with MDL, but says the harbour commission has carried out an 18-month environmental impact assessment and two years of consultation to get to this point.
n Anyone wishing to have their say has been urged to write to the Crown Estate, by January 14, at 16 New Burlington Place, London, W1S 2HX. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments are closed on this article.