When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Poole woman donates £800 to victims of Typhoon Haiyan
A POOLE woman has handed over a cheque for £800 to help those people affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
Zenaida Alonzo-Magasino, 39, a British-Filipino, was joined by several friends to present the £805.96 to Chris Babb from Oxfam after collecting loose change from shoppers in Falkland Square on November 23 and 24.
She says that along with her daughter, Lindzen, 12, they wanted to do what they could to help those who have lost everything following the natural disaster.
Zenaida said: “We are really pleased with how much we have raised and will continue to fundraise for the people of the Philippines.
She added: “We have got 15 buckets which we have put in takeaway shops around Poole and we will also be holding another bucket fundraiser event on January 11 and 12 at Bournemouth Triangle.
“Then in April next year, my daughter, Lindzen, and I will hopefully be travelling over to the Philippines, to one of the disaster relief and evacuation centres, to give goods and toys to the children there.
“I want to do that so that I can see where the money is going and how it is being spent. Through our own little way, we will share our support and cheer them up a bit.
“From what I hear, the people are already trying to re-build their homes and also their lives.”
Chris Babb, local community fundraising manager for Dorset, said: “To raise £805 for us is a fantastic amount of money to raise so far and is a fantastic joint effort by Zenaida, her family and friends.
He added: “We appreciate all the help that we have received from them and also from the people of Poole who have been so generous in their donations, of which support is crucial to us.”
For more information, contact Chris Babb from Oxfam by calling 077953 43605 or email Cbabb@oxfam.org.uk
Comments are closed on this article.