Dorset leaders pay tribute to Nelson Mandela

Bournemouth Echo: Dorset leaders pay tribute to Nelson Mandela Dorset leaders pay tribute to Nelson Mandela

DORSET leaders have paid tribute to former South African president, Nelson Mandela, who died at the age of 95.

MPs and leading councillors in Dorset have expressed their grief and admiration for his indelible legacy.

Hailed as a “giant amongst men” the former South African president and anti-apartheid hero died on Thursday night.

Follow live coverage as the world pays tribute to Nelson Mandela

Bournemouth Borough Council will today fly their flag at half mast as a mark of respect to the inspirational leader, with Borough of Poole doing the same.

MP for Bournemouth West Conor Burns said: “He was that rarity in politics as he embodied the values and aspirations of a nation.

“He was released from prison when I was in my late teens and it is one of my most compelling and lasting memories seeing him emerge from prison after 27 years.

“Mandela managed to heal and unite an entire nation and transcended national borders. He seemed to have the purest soul and was so much more than a politician.”

MP for South Dorset Richard Drax said: “Sadly I never met the man, but just from looking at what I saw and read he behaved with such humility, dignity, forgiveness and leadership.

“He behaved in an extraordinary manner and his dignity was unquestioned throughout the world.”

Mr Mandela spent 27 years in jail before becoming South Africa's first black president in 1994.

Mayor of Poole Cllr Philip Eades said: “He was a giant, not just in South African politics, but in world politics.

“He fought an incredibly long fight with incredible grace and dignity. That I think is what makes him stand out as a giant amongst men.

“My full sympathy goes out to the whole nation of South Africa.”

Leader of Bournemouth Council, John Beesley said: “He was a truly inspirational person. His achievements in South Africa and across the world stage are of such significance it is hard to see how he managed to achieve so much in one lifetime.

“His legacy will live on. He changed far more than anyone believed was possible at the time.

“The changes he left were truly transformational. He is a lasting inspiration to the people of South Africa.”

Mid Dorset & North Poole Lib Dem MP Annette Brooke said: “Nelson Mandela has been one of the most inspirational people in my lifetime, his achievements in remaining true to his beliefs and with such dignity have had an enormous impact not only in South Africa but on us all across the world.”

Cllr Elaine Atkinson, Leader of the Council, Borough of Poole, said: “Nelson Mandela was a man who changed the world for everybody in it, no matter what their race, and his death is a very sad day for all of us.

"Everything he did was for the greater good, he was a true inspiration and we should all aspire to be as selfless as he was.

“I'm sure his legacy will continue to live on and my thoughts and prayers are with his family at this sad time. As a mark of respect the flag at the Civic Centre is being flown at half mast.”

The anti-apartheid icon, held in the highest esteem across the world for leading his nation's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s after 27 years in prison, had been receiving medical care for a lung infection at his home.

Mr Mandela spent his final months surrounded by family after being released from hospital following a three month stay and passed away peacefully, President Jacob Zuma announced in a televised address last night.

 

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:30am Fri 6 Dec 13

Isosceles says...

Just what was his connection with Dorset that his death should figure in news items of a Dorset local paper?
Just what was his connection with Dorset that his death should figure in news items of a Dorset local paper? Isosceles

10:41am Fri 6 Dec 13

pete woodley says...

Pardon me if i am wrong, but was he not in prison for terrorism including killings.I wonder how his victims families feel !.
Pardon me if i am wrong, but was he not in prison for terrorism including killings.I wonder how his victims families feel !. pete woodley

10:50am Fri 6 Dec 13

John T says...

Mr Woodley
Perhaps you would be so kind as to remind us who his victims were.
Mr Woodley Perhaps you would be so kind as to remind us who his victims were. John T

10:54am Fri 6 Dec 13

Isosceles says...

He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217.
He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217. Isosceles

11:07am Fri 6 Dec 13

pete woodley says...

Isosceles wrote:
He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217.
Thanks for pointing out the some real facts,obviously JT thinks that it was a allowable action to target innocent people.Can we now believe anything JT says when he condones MURDER.
[quote][p][bold]Isosceles[/bold] wrote: He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217.[/p][/quote]Thanks for pointing out the some real facts,obviously JT thinks that it was a allowable action to target innocent people.Can we now believe anything JT says when he condones MURDER. pete woodley

11:25am Fri 6 Dec 13

Townee says...

It's a pity that our elected people don't have the same principles as mr Mandela had in later life. Honesty, thoughts for others and not having their feet in the trough.
Ours could learn a lot.
It's a pity that our elected people don't have the same principles as mr Mandela had in later life. Honesty, thoughts for others and not having their feet in the trough. Ours could learn a lot. Townee

1:10pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Sick_of_Ants says...

I wonder if in some years in the future, people will be saying the same about the likes of Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams - surprising how quickly people forgot that Mandela was a terrorist. In his book "Long Walk To Freedom" he openly discusses his activities as as the head of ANC terror cell.

Mandela was not racist though - he ordered/supervised killings on a large and random scale taking the lives of many ordinary people, whatever their ethnicity, going about their daily business, just like any other 'freedom fighter'!

Terrorist*freedom-fi
ghter*politician*sai
nt - it's a natural progression it seems. How can people be so blind? Read the FACTS about this man. Just as bad as any IRA terrorist. http://censorbugbear
-reports.blogspot.co
.uk/2010/07/nelson-m
andela-bombing-recor
d.html - a truly 'inspirational man'........
I wonder if in some years in the future, people will be saying the same about the likes of Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams - surprising how quickly people forgot that Mandela was a terrorist. In his book "Long Walk To Freedom" he openly discusses his activities as as the head of ANC terror cell. Mandela was not racist though - he ordered/supervised killings on a large and random scale taking the lives of many ordinary people, whatever their ethnicity, going about their daily business, just like any other 'freedom fighter'! Terrorist*freedom-fi ghter*politician*sai nt - it's a natural progression it seems. How can people be so blind? Read the FACTS about this man. Just as bad as any IRA terrorist. http://censorbugbear -reports.blogspot.co .uk/2010/07/nelson-m andela-bombing-recor d.html - a truly 'inspirational man'........ Sick_of_Ants

3:30pm Fri 6 Dec 13

John T says...

pete woodley wrote:
Isosceles wrote:
He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217.
Thanks for pointing out the some real facts,obviously JT thinks that it was a allowable action to target innocent people.Can we now believe anything JT says when he condones MURDER.
Nelson Mandela had been in prison for 20 years, and served a further 7 years, on Robben Island over 1000 miles away, in 1983, at the time of the Church Street bombing. He had, however, blown up a few Poles, of the Telephone, not human kind 20 years earlier.
The real facts that Mr Woodley might have liked to forget about that changed Mandela from passive resistance was the MASSACRE of 69 innocent people by the South African Police at Sharpeville.
It is, however, pleasing to see pete woodley being as hypocritical on this subject as his and Mrs Thatcher's friend, Conor Burns!
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Isosceles[/bold] wrote: He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217.[/p][/quote]Thanks for pointing out the some real facts,obviously JT thinks that it was a allowable action to target innocent people.Can we now believe anything JT says when he condones MURDER.[/p][/quote]Nelson Mandela had been in prison for 20 years, and served a further 7 years, on Robben Island over 1000 miles away, in 1983, at the time of the Church Street bombing. He had, however, blown up a few Poles, of the Telephone, not human kind 20 years earlier. The real facts that Mr Woodley might have liked to forget about that changed Mandela from passive resistance was the MASSACRE of 69 innocent people by the South African Police at Sharpeville. It is, however, pleasing to see pete woodley being as hypocritical on this subject as his and Mrs Thatcher's friend, Conor Burns! John T

4:28pm Fri 6 Dec 13

pete woodley says...

Sick_of_Ants wrote:
I wonder if in some years in the future, people will be saying the same about the likes of Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams - surprising how quickly people forgot that Mandela was a terrorist. In his book "Long Walk To Freedom" he openly discusses his activities as as the head of ANC terror cell.

Mandela was not racist though - he ordered/supervised killings on a large and random scale taking the lives of many ordinary people, whatever their ethnicity, going about their daily business, just like any other 'freedom fighter'!

Terrorist*freedom-fi

ghter*politician*sai

nt - it's a natural progression it seems. How can people be so blind? Read the FACTS about this man. Just as bad as any IRA terrorist. http://censorbugbear

-reports.blogspot.co

.uk/2010/07/nelson-m

andela-bombing-recor

d.html - a truly 'inspirational man'........
What kind of man is JT who condones murder,and stands by Mandela despite the overwhelming evidence.By the way i definitely do not support Conning Burns.Who is JT,easy to speak behind assumed name.
[quote][p][bold]Sick_of_Ants[/bold] wrote: I wonder if in some years in the future, people will be saying the same about the likes of Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams - surprising how quickly people forgot that Mandela was a terrorist. In his book "Long Walk To Freedom" he openly discusses his activities as as the head of ANC terror cell. Mandela was not racist though - he ordered/supervised killings on a large and random scale taking the lives of many ordinary people, whatever their ethnicity, going about their daily business, just like any other 'freedom fighter'! Terrorist*freedom-fi ghter*politician*sai nt - it's a natural progression it seems. How can people be so blind? Read the FACTS about this man. Just as bad as any IRA terrorist. http://censorbugbear -reports.blogspot.co .uk/2010/07/nelson-m andela-bombing-recor d.html - a truly 'inspirational man'........[/p][/quote]What kind of man is JT who condones murder,and stands by Mandela despite the overwhelming evidence.By the way i definitely do not support Conning Burns.Who is JT,easy to speak behind assumed name. pete woodley

7:41pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Baysider says...

John T wrote:
pete woodley wrote:
Isosceles wrote:
He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217.
Thanks for pointing out the some real facts,obviously JT thinks that it was a allowable action to target innocent people.Can we now believe anything JT says when he condones MURDER.
Nelson Mandela had been in prison for 20 years, and served a further 7 years, on Robben Island over 1000 miles away, in 1983, at the time of the Church Street bombing. He had, however, blown up a few Poles, of the Telephone, not human kind 20 years earlier.
The real facts that Mr Woodley might have liked to forget about that changed Mandela from passive resistance was the MASSACRE of 69 innocent people by the South African Police at Sharpeville.
It is, however, pleasing to see pete woodley being as hypocritical on this subject as his and Mrs Thatcher's friend, Conor Burns!
Seeing Conor Burns eulogising about Mandela does somewhat stick in the craw doesn't it given he was Maggies lapdog towards the end. Today's not the day to get involved in another argument with the resident right wingers on here though in my view. Best to leave their classless comments to speak for themselves.

RIP.
[quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Isosceles[/bold] wrote: He was imprisoned for some time for attempting to plant a bomb in a shopping center with the intent of killing men, women and children. He signed off on the Church Street bombing in 1983 which killed 19 people and maimed another 217.[/p][/quote]Thanks for pointing out the some real facts,obviously JT thinks that it was a allowable action to target innocent people.Can we now believe anything JT says when he condones MURDER.[/p][/quote]Nelson Mandela had been in prison for 20 years, and served a further 7 years, on Robben Island over 1000 miles away, in 1983, at the time of the Church Street bombing. He had, however, blown up a few Poles, of the Telephone, not human kind 20 years earlier. The real facts that Mr Woodley might have liked to forget about that changed Mandela from passive resistance was the MASSACRE of 69 innocent people by the South African Police at Sharpeville. It is, however, pleasing to see pete woodley being as hypocritical on this subject as his and Mrs Thatcher's friend, Conor Burns![/p][/quote]Seeing Conor Burns eulogising about Mandela does somewhat stick in the craw doesn't it given he was Maggies lapdog towards the end. Today's not the day to get involved in another argument with the resident right wingers on here though in my view. Best to leave their classless comments to speak for themselves. RIP. Baysider

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree