When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Man held after assault with bladed weapon in Boscombe
5:52pm Saturday 17th August 2013 in News
POLICE enquiries are continuing after a man was attacked with a bladed weapon near the Crescent in Boscombe on Saturday.
The incident happened in Aylesbury Road, off The Crescent around 5pm and there was a huge police response, including armed officers.
One man aged 31 was taken to Poole Hospital with a wound to the head and arms. He continues to be treated there for non life-threatening injuries.
Three armed response units and a number of other vehicles converged on the property after reports that a man was brandishing a weapon and an assault had taken place.
Paramedics were also on the scene.
One eye-witness said:"There were police everywhere. It was very dramatic. I saw an ambulance arrive and then leave very quickly with the lights flashing. It seemed like someone has been hurt."
A 36-year-old man has been arrested and taken to Bournemouth police station said Inspector Ian Jarred. He is being questioned by CID officers on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
No weapon has yet been found added Insp Jarred.
A number of residents told the Echo they believed the incident was drug related but drugs officers had not been called to the scene
Dee G, 27, said: “I saw a group of five or six guys arguing outside the house before 5pm. Once I came back from Iceland at 5.30pm, there were about 10 police cars, but that’s hardly unusual for Boscombe.”
Mehmet Yaik, 29, from Hamilton Road said: “Suddenly there were police everywhere. It was very dramatic. It seems like we see this kind of thing every day though.”
Inspector Jarred said the injured party is the only eye-witness to come forward so far.
Ward councillor Jane Kelly said: “It is terrible that someone has been injured and I wish them well.
“We have been hearing police statistics lately that say crime is down across all areas of Boscombe, and I think this is an isolated incident.
“These kind of incidents increasingly stand out as unusual.”
Ward councillor Chris Wakefield told the Daily Echo that despite community efforts to improve the area there were still people intent on breaking the law.
“We don’t know the circumstances of this incident yet, but we are aware that there is an issue with drugs, with unscrupulous people coming down from London,” he said.
“But the work the community has undertaken over the last six years has made massive in-roads into the problems of supply and demand, and I know the police have some major operations planned.
“It was all doom and gloom but now we are seeing changes.”
Police are appealing for witnesses.
Comments are closed on this article.