Safety reminder after kitesurfing accident at Sandbanks

Bournemouth Echo: Safety reminder after kitesurfing accident at Sandbanks Safety reminder after kitesurfing accident at Sandbanks

SHOCKED members of the kitesurfing fraternity have reiterated the need for safety procedures following a serious accident at Sandbanks.

A kitesurfer was airlifted to hospital with head injuries following the accident at Sandbanks beach on Sunday lunchtime.

According to witnesses he was blown into a beach sign then into buildings on nearby Shore Road.

Paramedics treated him at the scene and he was taken to Southampton General Hospital where emergency doctors were standing by.

Kitesurfer Chris Skone-Roberts, who has worked for years to enhance safety surrounding the extreme sport, told the Daily Echo: “This is a tragic accident and the entire kitesurfing community, from beginners right up to pros, are all sending their thoughts to the victim and his family.”

The accident happened close to The Jazz Cafe, known locally as Jazzys. Local kitesurfers say a gap in buildings in that area can often make the wind ‘tunnel’.

This can cause kitesurfers to be dragged away from the water towards the road.

Shocked witness Pauline Williams, posting on an online kitesurfer forum, said: “Really hope the lad that was launched into building by Jazzys going to be OK. Wasn’t looking too good when they finally got him stable to move into ambulance. Hope he makes a full recovery.”

Gary Palmer posted: “I hope he’s alright and everyone learns something from this. I didn’t wear my helmet today. Think I’ll put it back on after reading this.”

According to some reports the kitesurfer was flung into the toilet block next to The Jazz Cafe, while winds were blowing between 20 and 40 knots.

Mr Skone-Roberts said: “It could all happen to anyone. The number one thing for everyone taking part in kitesurfing is to wear a helmet and know your safety parameters. Someone broke their back at the same place a couple of years ago.

"It can be a very dangerous activity. You have to have lessons. It is not just a case of going into a shop, buying a kite and pumping it up. It is a level four extreme sport.“

"If I tied a kite to the back of a Land Rover and sent the kite into power loops I could drag the Land Rover. That’s a huge amount of power.”

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:50pm Mon 15 Apr 13

Perihelion says...

I think the kite surfer was in the sea in Poole Bay, not Whitley Bay, as Jazzys is near the promenade at the open sea. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
I think the kite surfer was in the sea in Poole Bay, not Whitley Bay, as Jazzys is near the promenade at the open sea. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Perihelion

6:26pm Mon 15 Apr 13

Chrisleake77 says...

The guy was at shore road as i was working there on the beach when it happened.i hope he makes a full recovery.
The guy was at shore road as i was working there on the beach when it happened.i hope he makes a full recovery. Chrisleake77

7:07pm Mon 15 Apr 13

GAHmusic says...

How is the bloke? I hope he is recovering
How is the bloke? I hope he is recovering GAHmusic

8:25pm Mon 15 Apr 13

Chrisleake77 says...

I have not been told anything as the family want to keep it quite.is all I do know he is in intensive care.i was told yesterday by the amberlaince crew he is in a very bad way.
I have not been told anything as the family want to keep it quite.is all I do know he is in intensive care.i was told yesterday by the amberlaince crew he is in a very bad way. Chrisleake77

7:42am Tue 16 Apr 13

iknownothing says...

Extract from Wikipedia:

Characteristics of high- versus low-profile figures

Media attention
High-profile: Has given one or more scheduled interviews to a notable publication, website, or television or radio program, as a "media personality" (a.k.a. "public face" or "big name"), a self-described "expert", or some other ostensibly (or would-be) notable commentator. Need not be a "household name", simply self-promotional. May ostensibly represent an employer or other group, but is clearly self-representing as well.

Make your own mind up on who drove this article!!
Extract from Wikipedia: Characteristics of high- versus low-profile figures Media attention High-profile: Has given one or more scheduled interviews to a notable publication, website, or television or radio program, as a "media personality" (a.k.a. "public face" or "big name"), a self-described "expert", or some other ostensibly (or would-be) notable commentator. Need not be a "household name", simply self-promotional. May ostensibly represent an employer or other group, but is clearly self-representing as well. Make your own mind up on who drove this article!! iknownothing

7:44am Tue 16 Apr 13

Chrisleake77 says...

Schooners.is the guy ok as I have not had any news yet.i was working there and saw this happen.i work for Poole Council and we was there at the time and helped out with the accident.his friend was there at the time and I have not been at back to work yet.is all I would like to know if the guy is ok.if someone does know I would like them to email me instead of putting it on here out of respect.many thanx.chris
Schooners.is the guy ok as I have not had any news yet.i was working there and saw this happen.i work for Poole Council and we was there at the time and helped out with the accident.his friend was there at the time and I have not been at back to work yet.is all I would like to know if the guy is ok.if someone does know I would like them to email me instead of putting it on here out of respect.many thanx.chris Chrisleake77

9:39am Tue 16 Apr 13

goatty says...

Could have a lot more tragic if he hit a child or other walkers. Lets hope for a speedy recovery but this has flagged a major safety concern regarding these surfers with kites on open public beaches. A tragedy waiting to happen?
Could have a lot more tragic if he hit a child or other walkers. Lets hope for a speedy recovery but this has flagged a major safety concern regarding these surfers with kites on open public beaches. A tragedy waiting to happen? goatty

4:56pm Tue 16 Apr 13

pyro_tim says...

goatty wrote:
Could have a lot more tragic if he hit a child or other walkers. Lets hope for a speedy recovery but this has flagged a major safety concern regarding these surfers with kites on open public beaches. A tragedy waiting to happen?
It is possible, albeit it a very unlikely scenario. That part of the beach is flagged to prevent this. The black and white flags signify the vessel launch area. Regular beach goers should stay out of this area, and not set up with their family. At the same time, kitesurfers, windsurfers and jetskiers can only launch and land in these places. It is also taught to kitesurfers that regular beach goers have right of way so to speak, and if the beach is overly busy, to avoid sailing. I have been kitesurfing from the launch area and seen parents take their child for a swim in it. It is extremely dangerous for them to do so, and why? There is a marked swimming area about 100m away, which kitesurfers do not enter. Safety is for everyone, not just the kitesurfer.
[quote][p][bold]goatty[/bold] wrote: Could have a lot more tragic if he hit a child or other walkers. Lets hope for a speedy recovery but this has flagged a major safety concern regarding these surfers with kites on open public beaches. A tragedy waiting to happen?[/p][/quote]It is possible, albeit it a very unlikely scenario. That part of the beach is flagged to prevent this. The black and white flags signify the vessel launch area. Regular beach goers should stay out of this area, and not set up with their family. At the same time, kitesurfers, windsurfers and jetskiers can only launch and land in these places. It is also taught to kitesurfers that regular beach goers have right of way so to speak, and if the beach is overly busy, to avoid sailing. I have been kitesurfing from the launch area and seen parents take their child for a swim in it. It is extremely dangerous for them to do so, and why? There is a marked swimming area about 100m away, which kitesurfers do not enter. Safety is for everyone, not just the kitesurfer. pyro_tim

6:19pm Tue 16 Apr 13

goatty says...

pyro_tim wrote:
goatty wrote:
Could have a lot more tragic if he hit a child or other walkers. Lets hope for a speedy recovery but this has flagged a major safety concern regarding these surfers with kites on open public beaches. A tragedy waiting to happen?
It is possible, albeit it a very unlikely scenario. That part of the beach is flagged to prevent this. The black and white flags signify the vessel launch area. Regular beach goers should stay out of this area, and not set up with their family. At the same time, kitesurfers, windsurfers and jetskiers can only launch and land in these places. It is also taught to kitesurfers that regular beach goers have right of way so to speak, and if the beach is overly busy, to avoid sailing. I have been kitesurfing from the launch area and seen parents take their child for a swim in it. It is extremely dangerous for them to do so, and why? There is a marked swimming area about 100m away, which kitesurfers do not enter. Safety is for everyone, not just the kitesurfer.
Totally agree with you, although I have been walking near Branksome on busy days and the beach has been taken over by Kitesurfers and have seen numerous near accidents when the kits crashes down on the beach.
I've also seen parents letting little toddlers go into dangerous area where there is a rip current near the groin. One slip and they would gone. However, if you try and tell them you usually get a mouthful of abuse!
[quote][p][bold]pyro_tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]goatty[/bold] wrote: Could have a lot more tragic if he hit a child or other walkers. Lets hope for a speedy recovery but this has flagged a major safety concern regarding these surfers with kites on open public beaches. A tragedy waiting to happen?[/p][/quote]It is possible, albeit it a very unlikely scenario. That part of the beach is flagged to prevent this. The black and white flags signify the vessel launch area. Regular beach goers should stay out of this area, and not set up with their family. At the same time, kitesurfers, windsurfers and jetskiers can only launch and land in these places. It is also taught to kitesurfers that regular beach goers have right of way so to speak, and if the beach is overly busy, to avoid sailing. I have been kitesurfing from the launch area and seen parents take their child for a swim in it. It is extremely dangerous for them to do so, and why? There is a marked swimming area about 100m away, which kitesurfers do not enter. Safety is for everyone, not just the kitesurfer.[/p][/quote]Totally agree with you, although I have been walking near Branksome on busy days and the beach has been taken over by Kitesurfers and have seen numerous near accidents when the kits crashes down on the beach. I've also seen parents letting little toddlers go into dangerous area where there is a rip current near the groin. One slip and they would gone. However, if you try and tell them you usually get a mouthful of abuse! goatty

9:29pm Tue 16 Apr 13

mclean23 says...

I am a member of the BKSA and have been kite surfing for many years and am a regular at this location and I have to say I totally disagree with what has been said above by the so called kite surfing community. The BKSA have a long and sorry history of keeping vital safety information out of the public domain and preventing discussion that might improve kite safety and there have been a number of high profile examples of members (including world class kite surfers who are experts in marine safety) being expelled for raising safety issues and then being subjected to the most severe abuse encouraged by the BKSA. Kite surfing is the most dangerous sport in the world after base jumping and it is completely unrealistic for a sport with such an appalling safety record to carry on in this way. The sport was kicked out of the Olympics as a result of the poor standards within the BKSA and their refusal to follow any recognised guidelines for sports governance and they refused to discuss a proposal I made at their recent AGM that they should follow sport England guidelines. It is likely the RYA will become the governing body for kite surfing which I very much welcome but in the meantime I would urge you to treat all information given by the BKSA with the utmost scepticism.
I am a member of the BKSA and have been kite surfing for many years and am a regular at this location and I have to say I totally disagree with what has been said above by the so called kite surfing community. The BKSA have a long and sorry history of keeping vital safety information out of the public domain and preventing discussion that might improve kite safety and there have been a number of high profile examples of members (including world class kite surfers who are experts in marine safety) being expelled for raising safety issues and then being subjected to the most severe abuse encouraged by the BKSA. Kite surfing is the most dangerous sport in the world after base jumping and it is completely unrealistic for a sport with such an appalling safety record to carry on in this way. The sport was kicked out of the Olympics as a result of the poor standards within the BKSA and their refusal to follow any recognised guidelines for sports governance and they refused to discuss a proposal I made at their recent AGM that they should follow sport England guidelines. It is likely the RYA will become the governing body for kite surfing which I very much welcome but in the meantime I would urge you to treat all information given by the BKSA with the utmost scepticism. mclean23

8:31am Wed 17 Apr 13

ashleycross says...

Very interesting to read what the flags mean. I've lived here over twenty years, spent loads of time at the beach with kids and had no idea what they meant. Perhaps some sort of boards up at eye level explaining to incomers might be an idea?
Very interesting to read what the flags mean. I've lived here over twenty years, spent loads of time at the beach with kids and had no idea what they meant. Perhaps some sort of boards up at eye level explaining to incomers might be an idea? ashleycross

9:45am Thu 18 Apr 13

Arthur Maureen says...

Chris Skone Roberts is like the outdoor sports version of Martin the money saving expert, the man is THE word on it all, final.
Chris Skone Roberts is like the outdoor sports version of Martin the money saving expert, the man is THE word on it all, final. Arthur Maureen

4:26pm Thu 18 Apr 13

mclean23 says...

Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa
ble accident.

http://www.kiteboard
er.co.uk/kitesurfing
/viewtopic.php?f=1&t
=55951&start=90
Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa ble accident. http://www.kiteboard er.co.uk/kitesurfing /viewtopic.php?f=1&t =55951&start=90 mclean23

5:53pm Thu 18 Apr 13

GAHmusic says...

mclean23 wrote:
Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa

ble accident.

http://www.kiteboard

er.co.uk/kitesurfing

/viewtopic.php?f=1&a
mp;t
=55951&start=90
Well I read that forum thread in full. I'm afraid I cannot deduce fact from it, who is right, who is wrong, and I'm not prepared to support either party based on it but as a father I know this much it worries me to read what is said and the truth needs to be known and action taken and that doesn't need to mean banning kite surfers or making it harder for them to enjoy either.
[quote][p][bold]mclean23[/bold] wrote: Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa ble accident. http://www.kiteboard er.co.uk/kitesurfing /viewtopic.php?f=1&a mp;t =55951&start=90[/p][/quote]Well I read that forum thread in full. I'm afraid I cannot deduce fact from it, who is right, who is wrong, and I'm not prepared to support either party based on it but as a father I know this much it worries me to read what is said and the truth needs to be known and action taken and that doesn't need to mean banning kite surfers or making it harder for them to enjoy either. GAHmusic

6:48pm Thu 18 Apr 13

mclean23 says...

GAHmusic wrote:
mclean23 wrote:
Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa


ble accident.

http://www.kiteboard


er.co.uk/kitesurfing


/viewtopic.php?f=1&a
mp;a
mp;t
=55951&start=90
Well I read that forum thread in full. I'm afraid I cannot deduce fact from it, who is right, who is wrong, and I'm not prepared to support either party based on it but as a father I know this much it worries me to read what is said and the truth needs to be known and action taken and that doesn't need to mean banning kite surfers or making it harder for them to enjoy either.
As a father of 3 also this sort of thing worries me. I have been kitesurfing for many years and have fortunatly not had any serious problems but I have seen soooooo many accidents that are entirely preventable. The governing body the BKSA and international body IKA (same thing really run by a guy called Richard Gowers) have a long and sorry history of banning people who want to make the sport safer and they were kicked out of the olympics because they demonstarted that even at the higest level it cant be orgainsed safely and they refuse to adopt basic sports governance laid down by sport england. At theire recent AGM they refused to even discuss a proposal I made that they shoudl simply adopt sport england governance/safety recomendations. And now we have yet another kitesurfer in intensive care.
[quote][p][bold]GAHmusic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mclean23[/bold] wrote: Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa ble accident. http://www.kiteboard er.co.uk/kitesurfing /viewtopic.php?f=1&a mp;a mp;t =55951&start=90[/p][/quote]Well I read that forum thread in full. I'm afraid I cannot deduce fact from it, who is right, who is wrong, and I'm not prepared to support either party based on it but as a father I know this much it worries me to read what is said and the truth needs to be known and action taken and that doesn't need to mean banning kite surfers or making it harder for them to enjoy either.[/p][/quote]As a father of 3 also this sort of thing worries me. I have been kitesurfing for many years and have fortunatly not had any serious problems but I have seen soooooo many accidents that are entirely preventable. The governing body the BKSA and international body IKA (same thing really run by a guy called Richard Gowers) have a long and sorry history of banning people who want to make the sport safer and they were kicked out of the olympics because they demonstarted that even at the higest level it cant be orgainsed safely and they refuse to adopt basic sports governance laid down by sport england. At theire recent AGM they refused to even discuss a proposal I made that they shoudl simply adopt sport england governance/safety recomendations. And now we have yet another kitesurfer in intensive care. mclean23

10:33am Fri 19 Apr 13

ashleycross says...

mclean23 wrote:
GAHmusic wrote:
mclean23 wrote:
Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa



ble accident.

http://www.kiteboard



er.co.uk/kitesurfing



/viewtopic.php?f=1&a
mp;a
mp;a
mp;t
=55951&start=90
Well I read that forum thread in full. I'm afraid I cannot deduce fact from it, who is right, who is wrong, and I'm not prepared to support either party based on it but as a father I know this much it worries me to read what is said and the truth needs to be known and action taken and that doesn't need to mean banning kite surfers or making it harder for them to enjoy either.
As a father of 3 also this sort of thing worries me. I have been kitesurfing for many years and have fortunatly not had any serious problems but I have seen soooooo many accidents that are entirely preventable. The governing body the BKSA and international body IKA (same thing really run by a guy called Richard Gowers) have a long and sorry history of banning people who want to make the sport safer and they were kicked out of the olympics because they demonstarted that even at the higest level it cant be orgainsed safely and they refuse to adopt basic sports governance laid down by sport england. At theire recent AGM they refused to even discuss a proposal I made that they shoudl simply adopt sport england governance/safety recomendations. And now we have yet another kitesurfer in intensive care.
This would be of interest to Accident and Health Underwriting, the UKSA's insurers for events.
[quote][p][bold]mclean23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GAHmusic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mclean23[/bold] wrote: Interesting discussion here about this totally predictable/preventa ble accident. http://www.kiteboard er.co.uk/kitesurfing /viewtopic.php?f=1&a mp;a mp;a mp;t =55951&start=90[/p][/quote]Well I read that forum thread in full. I'm afraid I cannot deduce fact from it, who is right, who is wrong, and I'm not prepared to support either party based on it but as a father I know this much it worries me to read what is said and the truth needs to be known and action taken and that doesn't need to mean banning kite surfers or making it harder for them to enjoy either.[/p][/quote]As a father of 3 also this sort of thing worries me. I have been kitesurfing for many years and have fortunatly not had any serious problems but I have seen soooooo many accidents that are entirely preventable. The governing body the BKSA and international body IKA (same thing really run by a guy called Richard Gowers) have a long and sorry history of banning people who want to make the sport safer and they were kicked out of the olympics because they demonstarted that even at the higest level it cant be orgainsed safely and they refuse to adopt basic sports governance laid down by sport england. At theire recent AGM they refused to even discuss a proposal I made that they shoudl simply adopt sport england governance/safety recomendations. And now we have yet another kitesurfer in intensive care.[/p][/quote]This would be of interest to Accident and Health Underwriting, the UKSA's insurers for events. ashleycross

10:47am Fri 19 Apr 13

ashleycross says...

sorry BKSA
sorry BKSA ashleycross

1:30pm Mon 22 Apr 13

rba says...

i am not sure why you a trying to slag off the BKSA which is an organisation that has done lots over the years for kitesurfing. i think your comment about kitesurfing being the 2nd most dangerous sport after base jumping is an absolute joke.
There is also a great Kitesurfing community in Dorset.
Know your limits, don't underestimate the power of mother nature when Kitesurfing, always be aware of current and prevailing conditions, consider all aspects of safety, be considerate and aware of all other beach and water users whilst kitesurfing.
i am not sure why you a trying to slag off the BKSA which is an organisation that has done lots over the years for kitesurfing. i think your comment about kitesurfing being the 2nd most dangerous sport after base jumping is an absolute joke. There is also a great Kitesurfing community in Dorset. Know your limits, don't underestimate the power of mother nature when Kitesurfing, always be aware of current and prevailing conditions, consider all aspects of safety, be considerate and aware of all other beach and water users whilst kitesurfing. rba

1:41pm Mon 22 Apr 13

mclean23 says...

rba wrote:
i am not sure why you a trying to slag off the BKSA which is an organisation that has done lots over the years for kitesurfing. i think your comment about kitesurfing being the 2nd most dangerous sport after base jumping is an absolute joke.
There is also a great Kitesurfing community in Dorset.
Know your limits, don't underestimate the power of mother nature when Kitesurfing, always be aware of current and prevailing conditions, consider all aspects of safety, be considerate and aware of all other beach and water users whilst kitesurfing.
Im slagging off the BKSA because of their long and sorry history of banning members who point out the risks of this sort of thing. And I say that as a BKSA member who would prefer the RYA took over. This is what is says in my 8 year old kids training manual about the stability index that day.

"Expect major and unpredictable changes in both wind speed and direction from time to time and place to place. Assume that no prediction is possible. Sail opourtunistically and sail toward and remain in the areas of strongest wind."

This was yet another totally predictable and preventable accident and I have it on good authority some parents were subjected to some extreme abuse when they complained about out of control kites that day.

As for the comment in this article "SHOCKED members of the kitesurfing fraternity have reiterated the need for safety procedures following a serious accident at Sandbanks." The BKSA process for dealing with this sort of situation is to threaten its members with expulsion for pointing out major safety flaws in the way they do things that my 8 year old could have told you could have prevented this.
[quote][p][bold]rba[/bold] wrote: i am not sure why you a trying to slag off the BKSA which is an organisation that has done lots over the years for kitesurfing. i think your comment about kitesurfing being the 2nd most dangerous sport after base jumping is an absolute joke. There is also a great Kitesurfing community in Dorset. Know your limits, don't underestimate the power of mother nature when Kitesurfing, always be aware of current and prevailing conditions, consider all aspects of safety, be considerate and aware of all other beach and water users whilst kitesurfing.[/p][/quote]Im slagging off the BKSA because of their long and sorry history of banning members who point out the risks of this sort of thing. And I say that as a BKSA member who would prefer the RYA took over. This is what is says in my 8 year old kids training manual about the stability index that day. "Expect major and unpredictable changes in both wind speed and direction from time to time and place to place. Assume that no prediction is possible. Sail opourtunistically and sail toward and remain in the areas of strongest wind." This was yet another totally predictable and preventable accident and I have it on good authority some parents were subjected to some extreme abuse when they complained about out of control kites that day. As for the comment in this article "SHOCKED members of the kitesurfing fraternity have reiterated the need for safety procedures following a serious accident at Sandbanks." The BKSA process for dealing with this sort of situation is to threaten its members with expulsion for pointing out major safety flaws in the way they do things that my 8 year old could have told you could have prevented this. mclean23

1:42pm Mon 22 Apr 13

mclean23 says...

mclean23 wrote:
rba wrote:
i am not sure why you a trying to slag off the BKSA which is an organisation that has done lots over the years for kitesurfing. i think your comment about kitesurfing being the 2nd most dangerous sport after base jumping is an absolute joke.
There is also a great Kitesurfing community in Dorset.
Know your limits, don't underestimate the power of mother nature when Kitesurfing, always be aware of current and prevailing conditions, consider all aspects of safety, be considerate and aware of all other beach and water users whilst kitesurfing.
Im slagging off the BKSA because of their long and sorry history of banning members who point out the risks of this sort of thing. And I say that as a BKSA member who would prefer the RYA took over. This is what is says in my 8 year old kids training manual about the stability index that day.

"Expect major and unpredictable changes in both wind speed and direction from time to time and place to place. Assume that no prediction is possible. Sail opourtunistically and sail toward and remain in the areas of strongest wind."

This was yet another totally predictable and preventable accident and I have it on good authority some parents were subjected to some extreme abuse when they complained about out of control kites that day.

As for the comment in this article "SHOCKED members of the kitesurfing fraternity have reiterated the need for safety procedures following a serious accident at Sandbanks." The BKSA process for dealing with this sort of situation is to threaten its members with expulsion for pointing out major safety flaws in the way they do things that my 8 year old could have told you could have prevented this.
and this was the coment I got back from a respected kitesurfing leader when I questioned an incident of kiteboards "ripping up" the swim zone at my local beach.

stop banging on about the sodding children!

why should it be more traumatic that a child gets hurt than anyone else, are they more valuable is their safety more highly prized than anyone elses.

for me Timmy is going to have to take the chance…

we are all insured right? :wink
[quote][p][bold]mclean23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rba[/bold] wrote: i am not sure why you a trying to slag off the BKSA which is an organisation that has done lots over the years for kitesurfing. i think your comment about kitesurfing being the 2nd most dangerous sport after base jumping is an absolute joke. There is also a great Kitesurfing community in Dorset. Know your limits, don't underestimate the power of mother nature when Kitesurfing, always be aware of current and prevailing conditions, consider all aspects of safety, be considerate and aware of all other beach and water users whilst kitesurfing.[/p][/quote]Im slagging off the BKSA because of their long and sorry history of banning members who point out the risks of this sort of thing. And I say that as a BKSA member who would prefer the RYA took over. This is what is says in my 8 year old kids training manual about the stability index that day. "Expect major and unpredictable changes in both wind speed and direction from time to time and place to place. Assume that no prediction is possible. Sail opourtunistically and sail toward and remain in the areas of strongest wind." This was yet another totally predictable and preventable accident and I have it on good authority some parents were subjected to some extreme abuse when they complained about out of control kites that day. As for the comment in this article "SHOCKED members of the kitesurfing fraternity have reiterated the need for safety procedures following a serious accident at Sandbanks." The BKSA process for dealing with this sort of situation is to threaten its members with expulsion for pointing out major safety flaws in the way they do things that my 8 year old could have told you could have prevented this.[/p][/quote]and this was the coment I got back from a respected kitesurfing leader when I questioned an incident of kiteboards "ripping up" the swim zone at my local beach. stop banging on about the sodding children! why should it be more traumatic that a child gets hurt than anyone else, are they more valuable is their safety more highly prized than anyone elses. for me Timmy is going to have to take the chance… we are all insured right? :wink mclean23

12:54pm Tue 23 Apr 13

rba says...

I have been kiting for about 8 years and am a BKSA member but still don’t feel that you should knock the organisation down just because you weren’t heard though I do understand your frustrations. Unfortunately as with any sport / activity etc you are always going to get the pratts that don’t care about rules regulations their ability and safety issues blabla and these are the people that create a bad reputation for Kitesurfers. Kitesurfing is a great sport and also a safe sport if you are aware of what you are doing, as with any sport there can be dangers but most of the time this will be down to the user ability or failure of the kit.
Its about trying to educate these few idiots. I would say that most Kitesurfers will have gone through some level of training maybe not as much as they should have but you also learn and improve your skills with practice over time and sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn from mistakes.
It is unacceptable to kite in a swim zone but also some kitesurfers don’t know port and starboard rules blabla
I think that all Kitesurfers should look out for one and another and help out if someone is doing something wrong or is in difficulty, lets educate and help people to try and avoid these sort of situations happening in the future.
I have been kiting for about 8 years and am a BKSA member but still don’t feel that you should knock the organisation down just because you weren’t heard though I do understand your frustrations. Unfortunately as with any sport / activity etc you are always going to get the pratts that don’t care about rules regulations their ability and safety issues blabla and these are the people that create a bad reputation for Kitesurfers. Kitesurfing is a great sport and also a safe sport if you are aware of what you are doing, as with any sport there can be dangers but most of the time this will be down to the user ability or failure of the kit. Its about trying to educate these few idiots. I would say that most Kitesurfers will have gone through some level of training maybe not as much as they should have but you also learn and improve your skills with practice over time and sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn from mistakes. It is unacceptable to kite in a swim zone but also some kitesurfers don’t know port and starboard rules blabla I think that all Kitesurfers should look out for one and another and help out if someone is doing something wrong or is in difficulty, lets educate and help people to try and avoid these sort of situations happening in the future. rba

1:21pm Tue 23 Apr 13

rba says...

http://www.phc.co.uk
/downloads/general/P
HC-Kite-Surfing-Leaf
let.pdf
http://www.phc.co.uk /downloads/general/P HC-Kite-Surfing-Leaf let.pdf rba

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree