Springbourne firefighters deal with blaze on their doorstep

First published in News by , Chief Reporter

FIREFIGHTERS barely had to leave their station to deal with a blaze this morning.

Crews from Springbourne were called at 8am to a fire at Richmond Park Close.

Incident commander, crew manager Richard Chave, said: “This is definitely the closest fire Springbourne fire crews have attended.

“As the night shift were leaving this morning, they spotted the fire about 20m away from the station.

“At the same time, fire control alerted us and the station bells went off. We were able to unravel hose in the drill yard and start dealing with the incident before our colleagues from Westbourne and Redhill Park arrived.”

The fire involved some children’s toys at the side of a ground floor flat and a kitchen window, waste pipe and outside wall also suffered damage.

Firefighters believe it was started by carelessly discarded smoking material and advised people not to throw cigarettes away carelessly or store items close to a property.

Karla Miller, who lives in the flat with her family, said: “We’ve had a few issues with smoking materials being discarded carelessly; we’ve now lost quite a few of our children’s toys, not to mention our kitchen window in this fire. We are really grateful for being so close to the fire station, it could have been so much worse as we were all asleep.”

Comments (0)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree