Lifeboat launched to rescue spaniel

A lifeboat crew rushed to the rescue of a springer spaniel lost at sea near Highcliffe yesterday morning.

The dog, called Snoopy, was swimming out to sea from Steamer Point at around 10.45am when its owner called 999, and Portland coastguard put a message out on VHF radio for any passing boats to assist.

Having received the message the Mudeford RNLI lifeboat crew launched, but shortly afterwards the owner reported that Snoopy had made it back into shore unaided.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:01pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch
I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch Finbarr Finkelstein

12:59pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Rikaroony says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch
I hope you are made to pay when something distressing happens to you! The dog owner did not make the decision to launch the craft the RLNI did.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch[/p][/quote]I hope you are made to pay when something distressing happens to you! The dog owner did not make the decision to launch the craft the RLNI did. Rikaroony

12:59pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Rikaroony says...

*RNLI
*RNLI Rikaroony

1:03pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in. Finbarr Finkelstein

2:15pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Rikaroony says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
He called 999 but didn't say HE requested the coast guard? They put out a call to the local vessels and when the RNLI heard the call they decided to launch, if nothing else they probably treated it as a training exercise? Good luck in saving yourself should you ever trip off a cliff edge or have an accident etc.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]He called 999 but didn't say HE requested the coast guard? They put out a call to the local vessels and when the RNLI heard the call they decided to launch, if nothing else they probably treated it as a training exercise? Good luck in saving yourself should you ever trip off a cliff edge or have an accident etc. Rikaroony

2:15pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Phixer says...

Your dog swimming out to sea is not an excuse/reason to call emergency services - as was clearly proven when the dog made its own way back.

Don't think anyone who contributes to a charity such as RNLI would be impressed with the dog owner for the waste of time & money.
Your dog swimming out to sea is not an excuse/reason to call emergency services - as was clearly proven when the dog made its own way back. Don't think anyone who contributes to a charity such as RNLI would be impressed with the dog owner for the waste of time & money. Phixer

2:22pm Sat 16 Feb 13

corngoat says...

At least the dog is safe!
At least the dog is safe! corngoat

2:59pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Wageslave says...

Dogs are smarter than humans, they almost always make it back OK. Its people who don't.
Dogs are smarter than humans, they almost always make it back OK. Its people who don't. Wageslave

4:13pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

Rikaroony wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
He called 999 but didn't say HE requested the coast guard? They put out a call to the local vessels and when the RNLI heard the call they decided to launch, if nothing else they probably treated it as a training exercise? Good luck in saving yourself should you ever trip off a cliff edge or have an accident etc.
Now then Rikaroony tell me why you think he dialled 999. If he did not want someone else to get the dog.
That is a relatively simple question and should not be above your pay grade.
Although I suspect you will not answer it.
Secondly, you appear to be judging people by your standards or why would you assume I am going to "trip off a cliff"?
Now wind your neck in.
[quote][p][bold]Rikaroony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]He called 999 but didn't say HE requested the coast guard? They put out a call to the local vessels and when the RNLI heard the call they decided to launch, if nothing else they probably treated it as a training exercise? Good luck in saving yourself should you ever trip off a cliff edge or have an accident etc.[/p][/quote]Now then Rikaroony tell me why you think he dialled 999. If he did not want someone else to get the dog. That is a relatively simple question and should not be above your pay grade. Although I suspect you will not answer it. Secondly, you appear to be judging people by your standards or why would you assume I am going to "trip off a cliff"? Now wind your neck in. Finbarr Finkelstein

5:09pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Village Idiot says...

Rikaroony wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote: I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch
I hope you are made to pay when something distressing happens to you! The dog owner did not make the decision to launch the craft the RLNI did.
'When something distressing happens to you' That my friend is exactly what the RNLI and the other services are for not for rescuing a pet supposedly under your control. Huge expense for an animal is a complete waste as the animal has a greater drive to survive than humans!
[quote][p][bold]Rikaroony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch[/p][/quote]I hope you are made to pay when something distressing happens to you! The dog owner did not make the decision to launch the craft the RLNI did.[/p][/quote]'When something distressing happens to you' That my friend is exactly what the RNLI and the other services are for not for rescuing a pet supposedly under your control. Huge expense for an animal is a complete waste as the animal has a greater drive to survive than humans! Village Idiot

5:47pm Sat 16 Feb 13

SeafaringMan says...

Rikaroony wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch
I hope you are made to pay when something distressing happens to you! The dog owner did not make the decision to launch the craft the RLNI did.
RNLI do not decide when to launch, a launch is requested by the Coastguard.
[quote][p][bold]Rikaroony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: I hope the owner paid the cost of the launch[/p][/quote]I hope you are made to pay when something distressing happens to you! The dog owner did not make the decision to launch the craft the RLNI did.[/p][/quote]RNLI do not decide when to launch, a launch is requested by the Coastguard. SeafaringMan

5:50pm Sat 16 Feb 13

SeafaringMan says...

Mark up the first RNLI "Dog Launch" of the year, I guarantee it will not be the last!
Mark up the first RNLI "Dog Launch" of the year, I guarantee it will not be the last! SeafaringMan

6:08pm Sat 16 Feb 13

l'anglais says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side. l'anglais

6:23pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings.

You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans.

On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.[/p][/quote]Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings. You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans. On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life Finbarr Finkelstein

6:58pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Dorset Mitch says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed?

I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed? I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls. Dorset Mitch

7:03pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

Dorset Mitch wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed?

I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.
Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived.

I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans
[quote][p][bold]Dorset Mitch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed? I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.[/p][/quote]Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived. I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans Finbarr Finkelstein

9:32pm Sat 16 Feb 13

awsokend says...

the owner should NOT have called 999

He should have called the dog.
the owner should NOT have called 999 He should have called the dog. awsokend

2:02am Sun 17 Feb 13

The Warlock says...

Utterly ridiculous! That is not what 999 is for! 95% of the time dogs will get them selves out of situations like that! In future keep it on a lead if you are unable to control it.
Utterly ridiculous! That is not what 999 is for! 95% of the time dogs will get them selves out of situations like that! In future keep it on a lead if you are unable to control it. The Warlock

2:04am Sun 17 Feb 13

The Warlock says...

awsokend wrote:
the owner should NOT have called 999

He should have called the dog.
Brilliant comment!
[quote][p][bold]awsokend[/bold] wrote: the owner should NOT have called 999 He should have called the dog.[/p][/quote]Brilliant comment! The Warlock

7:58am Sun 17 Feb 13

ragj195 says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Dorset Mitch wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed?

I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.
Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived.

I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans
Wow, you really are a superhero?

Wow, you are a superhero! Couple of questions for you smart arse. You say you were trapped inside. If that was the case you wouldn't have been able to get out would you? So were you or weren't you trapped? What if you were really trapped, let's say your legs were broken, what then? Still going to sort yourself out?

Let's get one thing clear. The man called 999. The decision to send assistance was not his decision but the RNLI. Like someone already said, they do plenty of training exercises during quiet months so why not respond to this bearing in mind how close they were to it. If there was another more serious incident they could easily divert to that.

People like you Finbarr need to wind your necks. I bet when you get ill you don't need a doctor either do you.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dorset Mitch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed? I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.[/p][/quote]Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived. I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans[/p][/quote]Wow, you really are a superhero? Wow, you are a superhero! Couple of questions for you smart arse. You say you were trapped inside. If that was the case you wouldn't have been able to get out would you? So were you or weren't you trapped? What if you were really trapped, let's say your legs were broken, what then? Still going to sort yourself out? Let's get one thing clear. The man called 999. The decision to send assistance was not his decision but the RNLI. Like someone already said, they do plenty of training exercises during quiet months so why not respond to this bearing in mind how close they were to it. If there was another more serious incident they could easily divert to that. People like you Finbarr need to wind your necks. I bet when you get ill you don't need a doctor either do you. ragj195

8:41am Sun 17 Feb 13

l'anglais says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings.

You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans.

On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life
Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything.

Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.[/p][/quote]Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings. You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans. On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life[/p][/quote]Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything. Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does. l'anglais

9:30am Sun 17 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

ragj195 wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Dorset Mitch wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed?

I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.
Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived.

I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans
Wow, you really are a superhero?

Wow, you are a superhero! Couple of questions for you smart arse. You say you were trapped inside. If that was the case you wouldn't have been able to get out would you? So were you or weren't you trapped? What if you were really trapped, let's say your legs were broken, what then? Still going to sort yourself out?

Let's get one thing clear. The man called 999. The decision to send assistance was not his decision but the RNLI. Like someone already said, they do plenty of training exercises during quiet months so why not respond to this bearing in mind how close they were to it. If there was another more serious incident they could easily divert to that.

People like you Finbarr need to wind your necks. I bet when you get ill you don't need a doctor either do you.
My my, one appears to have rattled one's wimpy cage. I'll explain it in little words.
I really wanted to survive. So having been rammed of the road and the door being damaged enough to buckle it I turned in my seat and kicked the door open. I did think about waiting for some by stander to do something but decided to help myself.
Your argument falls down a bit when you stray into hypotheticals and become offensive. Still what do I expect?
If you think I am heroic then fine, personally I would not want to be measured by you.
Stick to the facts, nothing in this article mentions a training exercise.
[quote][p][bold]ragj195[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dorset Mitch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed? I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.[/p][/quote]Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived. I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans[/p][/quote]Wow, you really are a superhero? Wow, you are a superhero! Couple of questions for you smart arse. You say you were trapped inside. If that was the case you wouldn't have been able to get out would you? So were you or weren't you trapped? What if you were really trapped, let's say your legs were broken, what then? Still going to sort yourself out? Let's get one thing clear. The man called 999. The decision to send assistance was not his decision but the RNLI. Like someone already said, they do plenty of training exercises during quiet months so why not respond to this bearing in mind how close they were to it. If there was another more serious incident they could easily divert to that. People like you Finbarr need to wind your necks. I bet when you get ill you don't need a doctor either do you.[/p][/quote]My my, one appears to have rattled one's wimpy cage. I'll explain it in little words. I really wanted to survive. So having been rammed of the road and the door being damaged enough to buckle it I turned in my seat and kicked the door open. I did think about waiting for some by stander to do something but decided to help myself. Your argument falls down a bit when you stray into hypotheticals and become offensive. Still what do I expect? If you think I am heroic then fine, personally I would not want to be measured by you. Stick to the facts, nothing in this article mentions a training exercise. Finbarr Finkelstein

9:34am Sun 17 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings.

You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans.

On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life
Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything.

Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.
Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.[/p][/quote]Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings. You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans. On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life[/p][/quote]Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything. Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.[/p][/quote]Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws. Finbarr Finkelstein

10:38am Sun 17 Feb 13

elite50 says...

The Warlock wrote:
Utterly ridiculous! That is not what 999 is for! 95% of the time dogs will get them selves out of situations like that! In future keep it on a lead if you are unable to control it.
Keep it on a lead????
How dare you!!!
This is the BOURNEMOUTH Echo site.
Dogs rule!
If you dont believe me, go for a walk on a wet day, I guarantee some fleabag will jump all over you and its owner will be horrified that you dont accept the fact that "thats what dogs do".
However, I have never once heard the owner offer to pay the dry cleaning bill!
Pity the thing didnt drown, it would be one less pest in the world.
I am glad the thoughtless owner survived!
[quote][p][bold]The Warlock[/bold] wrote: Utterly ridiculous! That is not what 999 is for! 95% of the time dogs will get them selves out of situations like that! In future keep it on a lead if you are unable to control it.[/p][/quote]Keep it on a lead???? How dare you!!! This is the BOURNEMOUTH Echo site. Dogs rule! If you dont believe me, go for a walk on a wet day, I guarantee some fleabag will jump all over you and its owner will be horrified that you dont accept the fact that "thats what dogs do". However, I have never once heard the owner offer to pay the dry cleaning bill! Pity the thing didnt drown, it would be one less pest in the world. I am glad the thoughtless owner survived! elite50

6:30pm Sun 17 Feb 13

l'anglais says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings.

You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans.

On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life
Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything.

Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.
Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.
Houses are built by people, not money.
Gas is extracted by people, not money.

Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.[/p][/quote]Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings. You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans. On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life[/p][/quote]Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything. Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.[/p][/quote]Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.[/p][/quote]Houses are built by people, not money. Gas is extracted by people, not money. Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity. l'anglais

6:41pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings.

You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans.

On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life
Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything.

Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.
Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.
Houses are built by people, not money.
Gas is extracted by people, not money.

Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity.
Get back to the dog aspect of this story, you are moving completely out of your depth.
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.[/p][/quote]Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings. You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans. On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life[/p][/quote]Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything. Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.[/p][/quote]Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.[/p][/quote]Houses are built by people, not money. Gas is extracted by people, not money. Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity.[/p][/quote]Get back to the dog aspect of this story, you are moving completely out of your depth. Finbarr Finkelstein

10:12pm Sun 17 Feb 13

ragj195 says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
ragj195 wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Dorset Mitch wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed?

I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.
Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived.

I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans
Wow, you really are a superhero?

Wow, you are a superhero! Couple of questions for you smart arse. You say you were trapped inside. If that was the case you wouldn't have been able to get out would you? So were you or weren't you trapped? What if you were really trapped, let's say your legs were broken, what then? Still going to sort yourself out?

Let's get one thing clear. The man called 999. The decision to send assistance was not his decision but the RNLI. Like someone already said, they do plenty of training exercises during quiet months so why not respond to this bearing in mind how close they were to it. If there was another more serious incident they could easily divert to that.

People like you Finbarr need to wind your necks. I bet when you get ill you don't need a doctor either do you.
My my, one appears to have rattled one's wimpy cage. I'll explain it in little words.
I really wanted to survive. So having been rammed of the road and the door being damaged enough to buckle it I turned in my seat and kicked the door open. I did think about waiting for some by stander to do something but decided to help myself.
Your argument falls down a bit when you stray into hypotheticals and become offensive. Still what do I expect?
If you think I am heroic then fine, personally I would not want to be measured by you.
Stick to the facts, nothing in this article mentions a training exercise.
"I really wanted to survive"

You must be on some sort of wind up. You kicked the door open of a car with a dent in the door, then got out and started directing traffic. You should write a book on how you managed this superhuman feat that didn't need any assistance from the emergency services.

Did you then push then car home all by yourself? Or maybe you just drove it lol.
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ragj195[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dorset Mitch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]So if you are in a car crash you will extract yourself, take yourself to hospital and then carry out the accident ivnestigation to work out why you crashed? I expect the RNLI was launched to stop a human risking thier live to save the animal, the same reason other services (coastguard and fire service) are sent to these types of calls.[/p][/quote]Last accident I was involved in, my car was hit on the drivers door and left the road hit a lamp post and trapped me inside. I kicked open the door, extricated myself, rendered first aid to the driver who had hit me and organised traffic control until the police and ambulance arrived. I am well chuffed that the RNLI are now staffed by non-humans thereby lowering the risk of injury to humans[/p][/quote]Wow, you really are a superhero? Wow, you are a superhero! Couple of questions for you smart arse. You say you were trapped inside. If that was the case you wouldn't have been able to get out would you? So were you or weren't you trapped? What if you were really trapped, let's say your legs were broken, what then? Still going to sort yourself out? Let's get one thing clear. The man called 999. The decision to send assistance was not his decision but the RNLI. Like someone already said, they do plenty of training exercises during quiet months so why not respond to this bearing in mind how close they were to it. If there was another more serious incident they could easily divert to that. People like you Finbarr need to wind your necks. I bet when you get ill you don't need a doctor either do you.[/p][/quote]My my, one appears to have rattled one's wimpy cage. I'll explain it in little words. I really wanted to survive. So having been rammed of the road and the door being damaged enough to buckle it I turned in my seat and kicked the door open. I did think about waiting for some by stander to do something but decided to help myself. Your argument falls down a bit when you stray into hypotheticals and become offensive. Still what do I expect? If you think I am heroic then fine, personally I would not want to be measured by you. Stick to the facts, nothing in this article mentions a training exercise.[/p][/quote]"I really wanted to survive" You must be on some sort of wind up. You kicked the door open of a car with a dent in the door, then got out and started directing traffic. You should write a book on how you managed this superhuman feat that didn't need any assistance from the emergency services. Did you then push then car home all by yourself? Or maybe you just drove it lol. ragj195

10:13pm Sun 17 Feb 13

l'anglais says...

Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings.

You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans.

On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life
Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything.

Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.
Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.
Houses are built by people, not money.
Gas is extracted by people, not money.

Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity.
Get back to the dog aspect of this story, you are moving completely out of your depth.
Generally known as ..........please change the subject I'm drowning here........
[quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.[/p][/quote]Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings. You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans. On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life[/p][/quote]Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything. Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.[/p][/quote]Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.[/p][/quote]Houses are built by people, not money. Gas is extracted by people, not money. Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity.[/p][/quote]Get back to the dog aspect of this story, you are moving completely out of your depth.[/p][/quote]Generally known as ..........please change the subject I'm drowning here........ l'anglais

8:15pm Mon 18 Feb 13

Finbarr Finkelstein says...

l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
Finbarr Finkelstein wrote:
Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk?

I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.
What a ridiculous comment.

Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often.
Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help.

There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.
Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings.

You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans.

On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life
Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything.

Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.
Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.
Houses are built by people, not money.
Gas is extracted by people, not money.

Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity.
Get back to the dog aspect of this story, you are moving completely out of your depth.
Generally known as ..........please change the subject I'm drowning here........
L'anglais, read the thread, you will see that you moved off piste, which I was prepared to go with, however your failure to read my comments resulted in you coming back with totally unrelated twaddle.
I get bored with people who unable to understand simple sentences get themselves confused.
I see no point in continuing a debate with someone who can only make statements.
Try going back, re-read, digest, either inwardly or talk it over with someone. Then start again and I will gladly come back to you.
Strangely enough I can't see me banging my head off your brick wall.
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Finbarr Finkelstein[/bold] wrote: Why did he call 999? if not so somebody else could risk their life to get back the dog s/he put at risk? I would fully expect to get myself out of any distressing situation I was fool enough to put myself in.[/p][/quote]What a ridiculous comment. Distressing situation's are often self inflicted, not always, but quite often. Decent Human beings provide assistance to those in need of help. There are other sub human types, who generally look at the cost side of things rather than compassionate side.[/p][/quote]Decent human beings would rather the lifeboat was available to rescue decent human beings. You are obviously existing in a little Utopian world where cost does not matter and as such you should be lauded as greatest amongst humans. On the other hand you should try and get a grip on reality in a world where money is a factor in most walks of life[/p][/quote]Money isn't or shouldn't be the common denominator for everything. Money is man made, and doesn't exist in the natural World, however care and compassion does.[/p][/quote]Houses and central heating don't exist in the natural world. Compassion does not exist in the natural world it also is man made, however he did not do a good job hence the reasons we have laws.[/p][/quote]Houses are built by people, not money. Gas is extracted by people, not money. Compassion is a built in asset that appears in decent human beings, not some capitalist, I'm all right jack acquired commodity.[/p][/quote]Get back to the dog aspect of this story, you are moving completely out of your depth.[/p][/quote]Generally known as ..........please change the subject I'm drowning here........[/p][/quote]L'anglais, read the thread, you will see that you moved off piste, which I was prepared to go with, however your failure to read my comments resulted in you coming back with totally unrelated twaddle. I get bored with people who unable to understand simple sentences get themselves confused. I see no point in continuing a debate with someone who can only make statements. Try going back, re-read, digest, either inwardly or talk it over with someone. Then start again and I will gladly come back to you. Strangely enough I can't see me banging my head off your brick wall. Finbarr Finkelstein

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree