Farewell to Bournemouth town centre flowerbeds

First published in News

BRICK flowerbeds are being removed in Bournemouth town centre in a bid to “de-clutter” the pedestrian precinct.

Improvement works costing £12,000 are being carried out by the council following requests from local businesses, property agents and ward councillors.

Town centre manager Roger Parker said: “We are currently undertaking improvement works in the town centre to de-clutter and open up access in the pedestrianised areas.

“These works include removing a number of brick-built flowerbeds and plinths. Following these works the pedestrianised areas will become more open and accessible for shoppers and visitors to the town and it should also assist our street cleaning teams in the work they do.”

Flower beds are being removed at the bottom of Old Christchurch Road and at the entrance to the Arcade. A council workman involved in demolishing the large brick beds said it would take about a fortnight to complete the scheme.

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:30pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Clunge says...

Never mind all the closed down shops, hordes of beggars cluttering up the town and the extortionate parking charges, lets knock down a few flower beds to make the pedestrianised area "more accessible". That should help.
It more likely means that with the end of the financial year approaching they have a few £'s left in the budget so need to waste it so as not to get less next year.
At least they wont have to spend so much on plants,watering and maintenance and can sack some more low paid staff. That should allow the managers to achieve some targets this year.
Never mind all the closed down shops, hordes of beggars cluttering up the town and the extortionate parking charges, lets knock down a few flower beds to make the pedestrianised area "more accessible". That should help. It more likely means that with the end of the financial year approaching they have a few £'s left in the budget so need to waste it so as not to get less next year. At least they wont have to spend so much on plants,watering and maintenance and can sack some more low paid staff. That should allow the managers to achieve some targets this year. Clunge
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Fri 8 Feb 13

eaststandman says...

Its a good idea to remove anything attractive from Bournemouth.

Less obstacles for the drunks to fall over !

What a revolting place it has become.
Its a good idea to remove anything attractive from Bournemouth. Less obstacles for the drunks to fall over ! What a revolting place it has become. eaststandman
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Fri 8 Feb 13

muscliffman says...

This is a start, now please remove the remaining pedestrianised area clutter.

Finish the task by replacing the numerous unwelcoming 'No Entry' signs aimed at every motorist coming to town and instead provide directions to 24/7 free car parking.

Put back the Square roundabout and reopen the town's (one time trendy) pedestrianised roads to the life blood of through traffic, offer free parking and our Town Centre 'patient' is in with a chance of recovery, otherwise...........
....
This is a start, now please remove the remaining pedestrianised area clutter. Finish the task by replacing the numerous unwelcoming 'No Entry' signs aimed at every motorist coming to town and instead provide directions to 24/7 free car parking. Put back the Square roundabout and reopen the town's (one time trendy) pedestrianised roads to the life blood of through traffic, offer free parking and our Town Centre 'patient' is in with a chance of recovery, otherwise........... .... muscliffman
  • Score: 0

5:59pm Fri 8 Feb 13

ianexams says...

Let`s get rid of ALL the Council and it`s cling on`s at the same time , then we can De- clutter the town in one go look at the money we as tax payers could save?
Let`s get rid of ALL the Council and it`s cling on`s at the same time , then we can De- clutter the town in one go look at the money we as tax payers could save? ianexams
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Fri 8 Feb 13

corozin says...

Clunge wrote:
Never mind all the closed down shops, hordes of beggars cluttering up the town and the extortionate parking charges, lets knock down a few flower beds to make the pedestrianised area "more accessible". That should help.
It more likely means that with the end of the financial year approaching they have a few £'s left in the budget so need to waste it so as not to get less next year.
At least they wont have to spend so much on plants,watering and maintenance and can sack some more low paid staff. That should allow the managers to achieve some targets this year.
Look on the bright side. It will mean fewer places for the beggars to sit under, and fewer things for all the drunks to fall over.

But as you say the problem with the town is the frankly desperate level of closed shops at the moment. Whole tracts of the Lansdowne and Gervis Place look like Salford these days.
[quote][p][bold]Clunge[/bold] wrote: Never mind all the closed down shops, hordes of beggars cluttering up the town and the extortionate parking charges, lets knock down a few flower beds to make the pedestrianised area "more accessible". That should help. It more likely means that with the end of the financial year approaching they have a few £'s left in the budget so need to waste it so as not to get less next year. At least they wont have to spend so much on plants,watering and maintenance and can sack some more low paid staff. That should allow the managers to achieve some targets this year.[/p][/quote]Look on the bright side. It will mean fewer places for the beggars to sit under, and fewer things for all the drunks to fall over. But as you say the problem with the town is the frankly desperate level of closed shops at the moment. Whole tracts of the Lansdowne and Gervis Place look like Salford these days. corozin
  • Score: 0

6:36pm Fri 8 Feb 13

retry69 says...

Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town
Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town retry69
  • Score: 0

7:12pm Fri 8 Feb 13

BmthNewshound says...

Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic comes to mind.
.
Typical Bournemouth Council warped logic - lets strip the town centre of any character and create an even more dull, dismal, and depressing town centre. Commercial Road has to be one of the most souless high streets in the UK.
.
If the Council wanted to kill the town centre they're doing a fine job.
Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic comes to mind. . Typical Bournemouth Council warped logic - lets strip the town centre of any character and create an even more dull, dismal, and depressing town centre. Commercial Road has to be one of the most souless high streets in the UK. . If the Council wanted to kill the town centre they're doing a fine job. BmthNewshound
  • Score: 0

7:29pm Fri 8 Feb 13

The Timelord says...

What a super idea - let's take away the flowerbeds and associated seating that costs the council money to maintain for the enjoyment of many.
That creates space to site more wee sheds of market traders that the council can sting for rent and claim is an improvement on the current shopping experience.
Well done Bournemouth Borough - another winner...
What a super idea - let's take away the flowerbeds and associated seating that costs the council money to maintain for the enjoyment of many. That creates space to site more wee sheds of market traders that the council can sting for rent and claim is an improvement on the current shopping experience. Well done Bournemouth Borough - another winner... The Timelord
  • Score: 0

7:47pm Fri 8 Feb 13

davecook says...

At least the flowerbeds looked attractive. Better to get rid of the drunks, Big Issue sellers, and tacky sheds masquerading as a German market.
At least the flowerbeds looked attractive. Better to get rid of the drunks, Big Issue sellers, and tacky sheds masquerading as a German market. davecook
  • Score: 0

7:58pm Fri 8 Feb 13

uvox44 says...

yes I have often found that I couldn't even get from one side of the Square to the other because of all the flowerbeds in the way - thank goodness the council are taking action on this flower-bed misery .
yes I have often found that I couldn't even get from one side of the Square to the other because of all the flowerbeds in the way - thank goodness the council are taking action on this flower-bed misery . uvox44
  • Score: 0

8:03pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Ahasuerus says...

Great idea. Next, pave over the Lower Gardens and pipe the Bourne Stream underground. Perhaps remove the pine trees along Westover Road. A nice clutter free environment
Great idea. Next, pave over the Lower Gardens and pipe the Bourne Stream underground. Perhaps remove the pine trees along Westover Road. A nice clutter free environment Ahasuerus
  • Score: 0

9:16pm Fri 8 Feb 13

ianexams says...

Let`s get rid of ALL the Council and it`s cling on`s at the same time , then we can De- clutter the town in one go look at the money we as tax payers could save?
Let`s get rid of ALL the Council and it`s cling on`s at the same time , then we can De- clutter the town in one go look at the money we as tax payers could save? ianexams
  • Score: 0

9:41pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Bob49 says...

muscliffman wrote:
This is a start, now please remove the remaining pedestrianised area clutter.

Finish the task by replacing the numerous unwelcoming 'No Entry' signs aimed at every motorist coming to town and instead provide directions to 24/7 free car parking.

Put back the Square roundabout and reopen the town's (one time trendy) pedestrianised roads to the life blood of through traffic, offer free parking and our Town Centre 'patient' is in with a chance of recovery, otherwise...........

....
yep, that has certainly worked for Poole High St
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: This is a start, now please remove the remaining pedestrianised area clutter. Finish the task by replacing the numerous unwelcoming 'No Entry' signs aimed at every motorist coming to town and instead provide directions to 24/7 free car parking. Put back the Square roundabout and reopen the town's (one time trendy) pedestrianised roads to the life blood of through traffic, offer free parking and our Town Centre 'patient' is in with a chance of recovery, otherwise........... ....[/p][/quote]yep, that has certainly worked for Poole High St Bob49
  • Score: 0

10:22pm Fri 8 Feb 13

zooch1970 says...

NOTE FROM THE COUNCIL

Phase one-remove flower bed
Phase two- charge people for using the new path
NOTE FROM THE COUNCIL Phase one-remove flower bed Phase two- charge people for using the new path zooch1970
  • Score: 0

10:33pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Hessenford says...

retry69 wrote:
Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town
You obviously haven't grasped that is is the anti car policy of this council that is killing the town and driving everybody to out of town shopping malls.
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't grasped that is is the anti car policy of this council that is killing the town and driving everybody to out of town shopping malls. Hessenford
  • Score: 0

11:49pm Fri 8 Feb 13

The Renegade Master says...

The real reason for removing those brick flower beds is so that they don't have to pay anyone to maintain them. Then they'll use the money saved from to fund new ways of extorting yet more money from us. Like more double yellow lines for the camera car to patrol and more parking meters.
What I'd like to see is the town hall de-cluttered of all the useless pen pushing money grabbing scum bleeding this town dry with their greed and idiocy.
The real reason for removing those brick flower beds is so that they don't have to pay anyone to maintain them. Then they'll use the money saved from to fund new ways of extorting yet more money from us. Like more double yellow lines for the camera car to patrol and more parking meters. What I'd like to see is the town hall de-cluttered of all the useless pen pushing money grabbing scum bleeding this town dry with their greed and idiocy. The Renegade Master
  • Score: 0

6:01am Sat 9 Feb 13

jobsworthwatch says...

The top two candidates for 'decluttering' have got to be Gervis Place by putting buses in a bus station and the Blackpool styled obstacle course that appears on pier approach each summer.
The top two candidates for 'decluttering' have got to be Gervis Place by putting buses in a bus station and the Blackpool styled obstacle course that appears on pier approach each summer. jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

6:11am Sat 9 Feb 13

EGHH says...

Went to Bournemouth for the first time on Monday lunchtime. Talk about a ghost town, even the pub where I had lunch was empty. It is as bad as Poole!! Never again!
Went to Bournemouth for the first time on Monday lunchtime. Talk about a ghost town, even the pub where I had lunch was empty. It is as bad as Poole!! Never again! EGHH
  • Score: 0

8:43am Sat 9 Feb 13

retry69 says...

Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town
You obviously haven't grasped that is is the anti car policy of this council that is killing the town and driving everybody to out of town shopping malls.
Usual patronising comment from yourself, however worth a retort i think.You are obviously suffering from the ever increasing PMS (poor motorist syndrome) which usually unfolds itself as the patient thinking the whole world is against them the only cures are getting off your backside or move and stop feeling sorry for yourself
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't grasped that is is the anti car policy of this council that is killing the town and driving everybody to out of town shopping malls.[/p][/quote]Usual patronising comment from yourself, however worth a retort i think.You are obviously suffering from the ever increasing PMS (poor motorist syndrome) which usually unfolds itself as the patient thinking the whole world is against them the only cures are getting off your backside or move and stop feeling sorry for yourself retry69
  • Score: 0

9:52am Sat 9 Feb 13

Richard 1976 says...

To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it.
To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it. Richard 1976
  • Score: 0

9:52am Sat 9 Feb 13

Hessenford says...

retry69 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town
You obviously haven't grasped that is is the anti car policy of this council that is killing the town and driving everybody to out of town shopping malls.
Usual patronising comment from yourself, however worth a retort i think.You are obviously suffering from the ever increasing PMS (poor motorist syndrome) which usually unfolds itself as the patient thinking the whole world is against them the only cures are getting off your backside or move and stop feeling sorry for yourself
And also the usual insulting comment from the anti car people who have to resort to this type of backlash because I don't agree with your way of thinking.
Shows that you lot still haven't grasped that anti car policies are killing town centres and driving people to places like Castlepoint and the internet to purchase their goods which not only saves much needed cash but also avoids having to pay extortionate fuel prices and parking charges.
Far from getting off my backside, because I choose not to pay the extortionate parking charges and shop over the web I probably get more exercise now that I would shopping in the town centres because I now have more family time walking in the new forest which costs me only a little fuel but no parking charges.
So in some ways I must thank your kind for showing me a new way of life by spending minimal time performing the mundane task of trawling the high street shops for hours on end and instead saving loads of cash with the added bonus of plenty of fresh air and exercise.
On the downside the actions of the anti car brigade will inevitably lead to more shops on the high street closing down with many people left unemployed, hope you are proud of your self.
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Now we are cooking, free up more room for the pedestrians make the town centre a car free zone with obvious exceptions and we have the makings of a new and improved Bournemouth,there is ample parking on the outskirts of the centre for those who feel the need to take their cars which leaves just a steady walk into the town[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't grasped that is is the anti car policy of this council that is killing the town and driving everybody to out of town shopping malls.[/p][/quote]Usual patronising comment from yourself, however worth a retort i think.You are obviously suffering from the ever increasing PMS (poor motorist syndrome) which usually unfolds itself as the patient thinking the whole world is against them the only cures are getting off your backside or move and stop feeling sorry for yourself[/p][/quote]And also the usual insulting comment from the anti car people who have to resort to this type of backlash because I don't agree with your way of thinking. Shows that you lot still haven't grasped that anti car policies are killing town centres and driving people to places like Castlepoint and the internet to purchase their goods which not only saves much needed cash but also avoids having to pay extortionate fuel prices and parking charges. Far from getting off my backside, because I choose not to pay the extortionate parking charges and shop over the web I probably get more exercise now that I would shopping in the town centres because I now have more family time walking in the new forest which costs me only a little fuel but no parking charges. So in some ways I must thank your kind for showing me a new way of life by spending minimal time performing the mundane task of trawling the high street shops for hours on end and instead saving loads of cash with the added bonus of plenty of fresh air and exercise. On the downside the actions of the anti car brigade will inevitably lead to more shops on the high street closing down with many people left unemployed, hope you are proud of your self. Hessenford
  • Score: 0

10:00am Sat 9 Feb 13

retry69 says...

Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor
Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor retry69
  • Score: 0

10:57am Sat 9 Feb 13

Hessenford says...

retry69 wrote:
Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor
No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way.
So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier.
What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor[/p][/quote]No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way. So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier. What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem. Hessenford
  • Score: 0

10:58am Sat 9 Feb 13

willybach says...

I noticed last year that the concrete flowerbeds in Commercial Road were empty - except for rubbish. A great pity that there is not the civic pride in beautifying and respecting Britain's shopping streets with flowers and greenery as is the case in France, for example. The old bus station site is an eyesore and the large space in the centre of the Triangle is barren and wasted. Why not a competition to find the best ideas on how to improve the town centre at least cost to taxpayers? Oh, but I forgot - no one in the Council would listen and would come up with all sorts of clever reasons why the ideas couldn't be put into practice.
I noticed last year that the concrete flowerbeds in Commercial Road were empty - except for rubbish. A great pity that there is not the civic pride in beautifying and respecting Britain's shopping streets with flowers and greenery as is the case in France, for example. The old bus station site is an eyesore and the large space in the centre of the Triangle is barren and wasted. Why not a competition to find the best ideas on how to improve the town centre at least cost to taxpayers? Oh, but I forgot - no one in the Council would listen and would come up with all sorts of clever reasons why the ideas couldn't be put into practice. willybach
  • Score: 0

1:22pm Sat 9 Feb 13

what i think says...

any chance the council could do a u turn on the highly dangerous paving outside debenhams. doubt very much home work was done to save what is a highly dangerous surface in wet and icy conditions? bournemouth council seem to make quite a few ill thought decisions.......
any chance the council could do a u turn on the highly dangerous paving outside debenhams. doubt very much home work was done to save what is a highly dangerous surface in wet and icy conditions? bournemouth council seem to make quite a few ill thought decisions....... what i think
  • Score: 0

1:30pm Sat 9 Feb 13

retry69 says...

Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor
No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way.
So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier.
What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.
Anti car dipstick!! Bit harsh i think LOL
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor[/p][/quote]No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way. So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier. What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.[/p][/quote]Anti car dipstick!! Bit harsh i think LOL retry69
  • Score: 0

1:45pm Sat 9 Feb 13

spooki says...

what i think wrote:
any chance the council could do a u turn on the highly dangerous paving outside debenhams. doubt very much home work was done to save what is a highly dangerous surface in wet and icy conditions? bournemouth council seem to make quite a few ill thought decisions.......
Absolutely, those paving slabs in the square are awful! Slippery when they're wet, blinding in the sun. The flower beds were more weed & cigarette end beds anyway.
[quote][p][bold]what i think[/bold] wrote: any chance the council could do a u turn on the highly dangerous paving outside debenhams. doubt very much home work was done to save what is a highly dangerous surface in wet and icy conditions? bournemouth council seem to make quite a few ill thought decisions.......[/p][/quote]Absolutely, those paving slabs in the square are awful! Slippery when they're wet, blinding in the sun. The flower beds were more weed & cigarette end beds anyway. spooki
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Sat 9 Feb 13

Hessenford says...

retry69 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor
No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way.
So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier.
What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.
Anti car dipstick!! Bit harsh i think LOL
maybe harsh but also true.
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor[/p][/quote]No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way. So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier. What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.[/p][/quote]Anti car dipstick!! Bit harsh i think LOL[/p][/quote]maybe harsh but also true. Hessenford
  • Score: 0

5:21pm Sat 9 Feb 13

goatty says...

Richard 1976 wrote:
To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it.
Such as...????
[quote][p][bold]Richard 1976[/bold] wrote: To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it.[/p][/quote]Such as...???? goatty
  • Score: 0

5:34pm Sat 9 Feb 13

retry69 says...

Richard 1976 wrote:
To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it.
I think you are right Bournemouth has got a lot going for it.It just needs to shed some of its dead wood, not from the council but start with some of the residents who have really seen their best before date and have no vision whatsoever,some young blood and ideas are needed especially in the comment section of this paper
[quote][p][bold]Richard 1976[/bold] wrote: To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it.[/p][/quote]I think you are right Bournemouth has got a lot going for it.It just needs to shed some of its dead wood, not from the council but start with some of the residents who have really seen their best before date and have no vision whatsoever,some young blood and ideas are needed especially in the comment section of this paper retry69
  • Score: 0

7:10pm Sat 9 Feb 13

Hessenford says...

retry69 wrote:
Richard 1976 wrote:
To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it.
I think you are right Bournemouth has got a lot going for it.It just needs to shed some of its dead wood, not from the council but start with some of the residents who have really seen their best before date and have no vision whatsoever,some young blood and ideas are needed especially in the comment section of this paper
Oh dear, who's getting upset then.
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Richard 1976[/bold] wrote: To be honest the whole of the pedestrianised stretch of Old Christchurch Road needs a refurbishment, it is looking quite dated.. So removing raised beds that are generally used as bins seems a good idea. Stop knocking Bournemouth. It's got a lot going right for it.[/p][/quote]I think you are right Bournemouth has got a lot going for it.It just needs to shed some of its dead wood, not from the council but start with some of the residents who have really seen their best before date and have no vision whatsoever,some young blood and ideas are needed especially in the comment section of this paper[/p][/quote]Oh dear, who's getting upset then. Hessenford
  • Score: 0

8:13pm Sat 9 Feb 13

shaggy dog walker says...

Bournemouth has such great gardners and they could do something fantastic with those flower beds if allowed. If they can win gold at Chelsea let them have a go at turning the shopping areas a pleasure to visit. What a pity you can't use the talented people to make Bournemouth somewhere people will want to shop.
Poole is ruined why let Bournemouth go the same way?
Bournemouth has such great gardners and they could do something fantastic with those flower beds if allowed. If they can win gold at Chelsea let them have a go at turning the shopping areas a pleasure to visit. What a pity you can't use the talented people to make Bournemouth somewhere people will want to shop. Poole is ruined why let Bournemouth go the same way? shaggy dog walker
  • Score: 0

11:00am Mon 11 Feb 13

jeebuscripes says...

Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor
No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way.
So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier.
What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.
You stopped driving your car to the town centre because you think people dont want/like you to?

You do your shopping in a more economical way now? With improving technology?

I want more of your mad ideas.

Please, write some more.
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor[/p][/quote]No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way. So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier. What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.[/p][/quote]You stopped driving your car to the town centre because you think people dont want/like you to? You do your shopping in a more economical way now? With improving technology? I want more of your mad ideas. Please, write some more. jeebuscripes
  • Score: 0

11:47am Mon 11 Feb 13

retry69 says...

jeebuscripes wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor
No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way.
So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier.
What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.
You stopped driving your car to the town centre because you think people dont want/like you to?

You do your shopping in a more economical way now? With improving technology?

I want more of your mad ideas.

Please, write some more.
Please have patience with the boy, i had offered guidance on the thread about the missing councillor, but sadly he declined so i am hoping he will confide in his teacher today,as he obviously has issues with town and country
[quote][p][bold]jeebuscripes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: Not quite sure where the idea of me being anti-car came from,i do drive, admittedly more than i like to.Never had a problem parking for access to the town centre and also nothing wrong with the shops at Castlepoint.I get the impression you may have hidden agendas but PMS can be controlled,trust me im a doctor[/p][/quote]No hidden agendas, plain fact is I can see what's happening because of the anti car policies, and I am the first to admit that I have adjusted because of people like yourself who don't want/like me driving to town centres to do any shopping so I have now got into the habit, with improving technology, in adapting and doing my shopping in a more economical way. So nothing could be further from the truth if you think I am moaning about having to adapt to different ways of running my life, I have never been happier. What does annoy me is the constant moaning from the green anoraks about car use and the anti car dipsticks like yourself and then the same people are very vocal on the demise of high street shops and town centres when these same people are the very cause of the problem.[/p][/quote]You stopped driving your car to the town centre because you think people dont want/like you to? You do your shopping in a more economical way now? With improving technology? I want more of your mad ideas. Please, write some more.[/p][/quote]Please have patience with the boy, i had offered guidance on the thread about the missing councillor, but sadly he declined so i am hoping he will confide in his teacher today,as he obviously has issues with town and country retry69
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree