When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Steve Cook trial: photos were just "boy banter"
8:41am Wednesday 30th January 2013 in News
A DEFENDANT in the sex assault trial involving AFC Bournemouth player Steve Cook has said the episode was nothing more than “boy banter”.
Brighton and Hove Albion players Anton Rodgers, 20, George Barker, 21, Lewis Dunk, 21, are on trial alongside their former teammate Cook, who now plays for the Cherries. All deny sexual assault and voyeurism.
Giving evidence at the Old Bailey yesterday, Rodgers denied there was a sexual element to what went on in the room, where photographs were taken on mobile phones.
He said: “This was never the case. It was just a bit of boy banter. It was a laugh but it seems stupid now.
“She was just giggling. She was laughing. She was bubbly.”
Rodgers denied the 19-year-old was asleep. He said teammate Leon Redwood came into the room and sprayed the initials GB, representing fellow player George Barker, onto her thigh. Rodgers said he took a photograph of Barker making a thumbs-up sign next to the girl.
“It was a funny picture at the time. That’s all it meant,” added Rodgers.
The prosecution says the players assaulted the drunken woman when she was asleep and took pictures as a “record of their conquest”.
They were arrested six months after the incident, in July 2011, which followed a night out clubbing in Brighton to celebrate winning a local cup.
Dunk later told the court he had been on the phone to a girl for 35 minutes and saw nothing of what went on.
He denied joining in, taking photographs or exposing himself.
The case continues.