When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Two held after police officer attacked in Boscombe
10:15am Friday 18th January 2013 in News
A POLICE officer was left seriously injured with head wounds after being attacked in the centre of Boscombe yesterday.
Emergency services were scrambled to Christchurch Road following reports that an officer had been attacked at around 2pm while dealing with a disturbance.
The incident occurred outside the Nationwide Building Society.
A blood-stained fluorescent jacket was clearly evident on the pavement outside the premises.
The injured officer was taken to hospital.
A police source said last night he was “in a bad way.”
A section of Christchurch Road was closed off as traffic was diverted away from the area.
There was a heavy police presence outside the Bosc Vegas convenience store, Carphone Warehouse and McDonalds, with forensics officers examining the scene for clues.
Eyewitness David Lakey, who lives locally, said he saw male and female officers trying to arrest a man. He added: “They wrestled the suspect to the ground; the man had the male officer in a headlock.
“The female officer was desperately trying to stop him. I saw the male officer on his back with blood oozing from his head. It’s disgusting that this has happened to someone who was just doing his job.”
Another witness said he later saw a woman being put into the back of a police car.
Apparently she had her hands behind her back and was not resisting arrest.
Sarah Smith, owner of Rose Red Records in Boscombe’s Royal Arcade, said her husband Richard heard a “huge bang” and then a scream near to BosVegas convenience store in Christchurch Road. She said armed police turned up soon afterwards.
Ilona Baklane, owner of clothing repair shop Airstitch, said: “It is shocking that this has happened in the daytime and especially as it was a policeman.
“I am here some of the time on my own and it is worrying when I am here on my own.”
And Bartosz Mackiewicz, of Polish food store Fajny Sklep, said: “That’s Boscombe; it’s something that should be expected. I have been told that Boscombe is a safe area but obviously it isn’t. It is worrying. There’s a crime map that you can view and it is not safe.”
Passer-by Boran Kare, 38, from Boscombe, said: “It’s frightening that police officers can get treated like this; it could have happened to anyone.”
Dorset's Police and Crime Commissioner Martyn Underhill said: "I am saddened to hear that a police officer was attacked while undertaking his duties in Bournemouth. This reminds us all that policing is dangerous.Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family".
Boscombe West Councillor Chris Wakefield said: “Our hearts go out to the officer and his family; he was protecting the community and I wish him a speedy recovery.
I’m very concerned this has happened.”
Bournemouth East MP Tobias Ellwood said he was saddened to hear the news. “Police in Bournemouth and all parts of Britain put themselves on the line every day to protect the public,” he said.
“This reminds everyone of the dangers police face on a daily basis when they put themselves in harm’s way. Obviously we do not know the details and it is for the police to conduct an investigation into this incident.
“Our thoughts go out to the officer and the constabulary who do an amazing job.”
Clive Chamberlain, chairman of Dorset Police Federation, said: “I am really sorry to learn that whilst attending an incident in Boscombe, a colleague sustained a serious injury and is currently being treated in hospital.
“Our thoughts are with him, his family, friends and colleagues, especially those who were also at the scene.”
A 42-year-old man and a 33-yearold woman have been arrested, on suspicion of assault.