School closures: Friday January 18, 2013

First published in News

The following schools will be closed on Friday, January 18 due to the snow forecast. You can follow latest updates on the weather here

Partial closures

  • Bishops Waltham Infant School

Comments (62)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:58am Fri 18 Jan 13

renea says...

Avonbourne is also closed
Avonbourne is also closed renea
  • Score: 0

7:06am Fri 18 Jan 13

mazzg says...

Burton Primary in Christchurch is closed.
Burton Primary in Christchurch is closed. mazzg
  • Score: 0

7:11am Fri 18 Jan 13

pins82 says...

Ad Astra First school, Canford Heath
Longspee School, Canford Heath
****closed****
Ad Astra First school, Canford Heath Longspee School, Canford Heath ****closed**** pins82
  • Score: 0

7:14am Fri 18 Jan 13

afcb85 says...

Ferndown Upper School and Ferndown First is closed
Ferndown Upper School and Ferndown First is closed afcb85
  • Score: 0

7:16am Fri 18 Jan 13

spearchukka says...

Just been told somerford primary school is CLOSED too :)
Just been told somerford primary school is CLOSED too :) spearchukka
  • Score: 0

7:28am Fri 18 Jan 13

mazzg says...

The Grange in Xchurch is closed.
The Grange in Xchurch is closed. mazzg
  • Score: 0

7:30am Fri 18 Jan 13

BournemouthMum says...

So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to!
So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to! BournemouthMum
  • Score: 0

7:31am Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

Crazy ! Compared to many countries this is a light dusting of snow ,do you see school closures in Alaska,Scandinavian countries alpine regions where snow fall is measured in feet rather than centimetres ?
Crazy ! Compared to many countries this is a light dusting of snow ,do you see school closures in Alaska,Scandinavian countries alpine regions where snow fall is measured in feet rather than centimetres ? alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

7:33am Fri 18 Jan 13

Jetwasher says...

BournemouthMum wrote:
So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to!
The teachers cant work in these extreme conditions ;0)
[quote][p][bold]BournemouthMum[/bold] wrote: So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to![/p][/quote]The teachers cant work in these extreme conditions ;0) Jetwasher
  • Score: 0

7:37am Fri 18 Jan 13

GeorgieL says...

Anyone hear about Corpus Christi Bournemouth? Their website is not working properly.
Anyone hear about Corpus Christi Bournemouth? Their website is not working properly. GeorgieL
  • Score: 0

7:39am Fri 18 Jan 13

tubsy says...

Hamworthy First School and Nursery website has posted that it will not be opening today.
Hamworthy First School and Nursery website has posted that it will not be opening today. tubsy
  • Score: 0

7:39am Fri 18 Jan 13

fin6y says...

Poole High School is closed
Poole High School is closed fin6y
  • Score: 0

7:47am Fri 18 Jan 13

Dadof2 says...

Is this list final or will it be updated?

St Walburgas School said they think they will be open. lol
Is this list final or will it be updated? St Walburgas School said they think they will be open. lol Dadof2
  • Score: 0

7:55am Fri 18 Jan 13

jeebuscripes says...

alasdair1967 wrote:
Crazy ! Compared to many countries this is a light dusting of snow ,do you see school closures in Alaska,Scandinavian countries alpine regions where snow fall is measured in feet rather than centimetres ?
Yes they do!

Go and google "does snow close school in alaska"

Loads of results.

Also, the countries you mentioned are used to snow. much more so than the Brits.
[quote][p][bold]alasdair1967[/bold] wrote: Crazy ! Compared to many countries this is a light dusting of snow ,do you see school closures in Alaska,Scandinavian countries alpine regions where snow fall is measured in feet rather than centimetres ?[/p][/quote]Yes they do! Go and google "does snow close school in alaska" Loads of results. Also, the countries you mentioned are used to snow. much more so than the Brits. jeebuscripes
  • Score: 0

7:55am Fri 18 Jan 13

Southbourne Mike says...

tubsy wrote:
Hamworthy First School and Nursery website has posted that it will not be opening today.
Corpus Christi is currently still open according to their website this was factual at 07.55
[quote][p][bold]tubsy[/bold] wrote: Hamworthy First School and Nursery website has posted that it will not be opening today.[/p][/quote]Corpus Christi is currently still open according to their website this was factual at 07.55 Southbourne Mike
  • Score: 0

7:56am Fri 18 Jan 13

aerolover says...

In the 50's and early 60's schools didn't close due to a small amount of snow. Kids love it when it snowed but in this age when everyone is afraid of being sued no one wants to risk it.
In the 50's and early 60's schools didn't close due to a small amount of snow. Kids love it when it snowed but in this age when everyone is afraid of being sued no one wants to risk it. aerolover
  • Score: 0

8:03am Fri 18 Jan 13

woby_tide says...

For up to date lists try Facebook.com/heartfm
southcoast as it seems the Echo, councils and school websites are all incapable of updating
For up to date lists try Facebook.com/heartfm southcoast as it seems the Echo, councils and school websites are all incapable of updating woby_tide
  • Score: 0

8:04am Fri 18 Jan 13

chris100 says...

are the echo going to update this or not ???????
are the echo going to update this or not ??????? chris100
  • Score: 0

8:06am Fri 18 Jan 13

lemonhead says...

aerolover wrote:
In the 50's and early 60's schools didn't close due to a small amount of snow. Kids love it when it snowed but in this age when everyone is afraid of being sued no one wants to risk it.
I agree with you,now it is any excuse not to go to school,do we see all work places closing down for the tiny amount of snow we have got,no we dont,just the schools as usual,no wonder The UK is a weak nation now.Just imagine what this generation are going to grow uo like,a bunch of lazy soft minded people that will be after compansation if you so much as sneeze near them.
[quote][p][bold]aerolover[/bold] wrote: In the 50's and early 60's schools didn't close due to a small amount of snow. Kids love it when it snowed but in this age when everyone is afraid of being sued no one wants to risk it.[/p][/quote]I agree with you,now it is any excuse not to go to school,do we see all work places closing down for the tiny amount of snow we have got,no we dont,just the schools as usual,no wonder The UK is a weak nation now.Just imagine what this generation are going to grow uo like,a bunch of lazy soft minded people that will be after compansation if you so much as sneeze near them. lemonhead
  • Score: 0

8:23am Fri 18 Jan 13

ctrewyou says...

Jetwasher wrote:
BournemouthMum wrote:
So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to!
The teachers cant work in these extreme conditions ;0)
The teachers cant get to work in these conditions, or at least some of them. And if a child slipped and broke an arm or something in the playground, you can bet their parents would be the first to sue the school for not supervising them properly. That's the real reason they close, I suspect.
And it's obviously such a big problem having to get up at the normal time when you dont have to, Bournemouthmum, it must be a real inconvinience for you.
[quote][p][bold]Jetwasher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BournemouthMum[/bold] wrote: So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to![/p][/quote]The teachers cant work in these extreme conditions ;0)[/p][/quote]The teachers cant get to work in these conditions, or at least some of them. And if a child slipped and broke an arm or something in the playground, you can bet their parents would be the first to sue the school for not supervising them properly. That's the real reason they close, I suspect. And it's obviously such a big problem having to get up at the normal time when you dont have to, Bournemouthmum, it must be a real inconvinience for you. ctrewyou
  • Score: 0

8:41am Fri 18 Jan 13

adriang76 says...

GeorgieL wrote:
Anyone hear about Corpus Christi Bournemouth? Their website is not working properly.
Corpus Christi closed down as found on Wave radio's site
[quote][p][bold]GeorgieL[/bold] wrote: Anyone hear about Corpus Christi Bournemouth? Their website is not working properly.[/p][/quote]Corpus Christi closed down as found on Wave radio's site adriang76
  • Score: 0

8:42am Fri 18 Jan 13

Derf says...

statistically, snow makes children more intelligent.
Austria, switzerland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden all have higher rates of child literacy and numeracy. What do all these countries have in common? It snows quite a lot there.

Teachers should therefore be making even more of an effort to come to work when it's snowing to maximise the benefits snow has on young brains.
statistically, snow makes children more intelligent. Austria, switzerland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden all have higher rates of child literacy and numeracy. What do all these countries have in common? It snows quite a lot there. Teachers should therefore be making even more of an effort to come to work when it's snowing to maximise the benefits snow has on young brains. Derf
  • Score: 0

8:47am Fri 18 Jan 13

chris100 says...

st walburgas is open but kids DONT have to go
st walburgas is open but kids DONT have to go chris100
  • Score: 0

8:48am Fri 18 Jan 13

fin6y says...

What is the point of having a school closure list if it's only updated to 7.10am?!
What is the point of having a school closure list if it's only updated to 7.10am?! fin6y
  • Score: 0

8:56am Fri 18 Jan 13

oversixty says...

Kinson Primary appears to be open.
What must be remembered is that many teachers nowadays live some way away from their schools and therefore there are bound to be teacher shortages in this weather!
Kinson Primary appears to be open. What must be remembered is that many teachers nowadays live some way away from their schools and therefore there are bound to be teacher shortages in this weather! oversixty
  • Score: 0

9:06am Fri 18 Jan 13

woby_tide says...

Excellent planning by Dorset schools, told to check the school website or council websites for updates and both have no notification(well the school website is crashed).

At least they can revisit their planning exercises for the next time this happens and find a more reliable method...maybe door-to-door knocking would be more use
Excellent planning by Dorset schools, told to check the school website or council websites for updates and both have no notification(well the school website is crashed). At least they can revisit their planning exercises for the next time this happens and find a more reliable method...maybe door-to-door knocking would be more use woby_tide
  • Score: 0

9:09am Fri 18 Jan 13

jeebuscripes says...

Derf wrote:
statistically, snow makes children more intelligent.
Austria, switzerland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden all have higher rates of child literacy and numeracy. What do all these countries have in common? It snows quite a lot there.

Teachers should therefore be making even more of an effort to come to work when it's snowing to maximise the benefits snow has on young brains.
Were you born and raised in the Australian outback?
[quote][p][bold]Derf[/bold] wrote: statistically, snow makes children more intelligent. Austria, switzerland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden all have higher rates of child literacy and numeracy. What do all these countries have in common? It snows quite a lot there. Teachers should therefore be making even more of an effort to come to work when it's snowing to maximise the benefits snow has on young brains.[/p][/quote]Were you born and raised in the Australian outback? jeebuscripes
  • Score: 0

9:16am Fri 18 Jan 13

spooki says...

Townsend Montessori is closed but the Townsend Children's Centre is open.
Townsend Montessori is closed but the Townsend Children's Centre is open. spooki
  • Score: 0

9:44am Fri 18 Jan 13

bobby2412 says...

this is daft some schools open some are closed in bournemouth
i take it later if this snow gets worse parents will get texts ect to pick there
children up early
so parents that work will then have to leave work and rush to the schools
to pick there children up
it makes no sence either there all closed
or all open
this is daft some schools open some are closed in bournemouth i take it later if this snow gets worse parents will get texts ect to pick there children up early so parents that work will then have to leave work and rush to the schools to pick there children up it makes no sence either there all closed or all open bobby2412
  • Score: 0

10:14am Fri 18 Jan 13

sea poole says...

BournemouthMum - Guess you'd have been happy if the school HAD notified you the previous evening, only for you to wake up and discover there wasn't any snow...?
BournemouthMum - Guess you'd have been happy if the school HAD notified you the previous evening, only for you to wake up and discover there wasn't any snow...? sea poole
  • Score: 0

10:22am Fri 18 Jan 13

ragj195 says...

BournemouthMum wrote:
So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to!
You must be on a wind up or something?

Or do you really believe the school can announce it's closing before the snow has fallen. Seems like schools are now being blamed for their inability to predict the weather with 100% accuracy.
[quote][p][bold]BournemouthMum[/bold] wrote: So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to![/p][/quote]You must be on a wind up or something? Or do you really believe the school can announce it's closing before the snow has fallen. Seems like schools are now being blamed for their inability to predict the weather with 100% accuracy. ragj195
  • Score: 0

10:35am Fri 18 Jan 13

Afcbpete says...

ragj195 wrote:
BournemouthMum wrote:
So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to!
You must be on a wind up or something?

Or do you really believe the school can announce it's closing before the snow has fallen. Seems like schools are now being blamed for their inability to predict the weather with 100% accuracy.
A little bit of snow and everyone panics and everything grinds to a halt. It's absolutely pathetic LOL... It's ONLY a couple of inches for crying out loud....
[quote][p][bold]ragj195[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BournemouthMum[/bold] wrote: So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to![/p][/quote]You must be on a wind up or something? Or do you really believe the school can announce it's closing before the snow has fallen. Seems like schools are now being blamed for their inability to predict the weather with 100% accuracy.[/p][/quote]A little bit of snow and everyone panics and everything grinds to a halt. It's absolutely pathetic LOL... It's ONLY a couple of inches for crying out loud.... Afcbpete
  • Score: 0

11:02am Fri 18 Jan 13

RageAgainstTheMachine says...

ragj195 wrote:
BournemouthMum wrote:
So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to!
You must be on a wind up or something?

Or do you really believe the school can announce it's closing before the snow has fallen. Seems like schools are now being blamed for their inability to predict the weather with 100% accuracy.
Our school did,we all had texts at 2pm yesterday to say it would be shut because of the expected snow. Most parents thought the head master was cracked.........
[quote][p][bold]ragj195[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BournemouthMum[/bold] wrote: So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to![/p][/quote]You must be on a wind up or something? Or do you really believe the school can announce it's closing before the snow has fallen. Seems like schools are now being blamed for their inability to predict the weather with 100% accuracy.[/p][/quote]Our school did,we all had texts at 2pm yesterday to say it would be shut because of the expected snow. Most parents thought the head master was cracked......... RageAgainstTheMachine
  • Score: 0

11:46am Fri 18 Jan 13

farigola32 says...

lemonhead wrote:
aerolover wrote:
In the 50's and early 60's schools didn't close due to a small amount of snow. Kids love it when it snowed but in this age when everyone is afraid of being sued no one wants to risk it.
I agree with you,now it is any excuse not to go to school,do we see all work places closing down for the tiny amount of snow we have got,no we dont,just the schools as usual,no wonder The UK is a weak nation now.Just imagine what this generation are going to grow uo like,a bunch of lazy soft minded people that will be after compansation if you so much as sneeze near them.
AGREE! Snow never used to close schools - except in extreme amounts or when the old boilers used to pack up! It was standard to don your wellies and walk to wherever you had to go - enjoying a few snowballs along the way, This increasingly litigious society is removing all sense of backbone and just 'getting on with it'! There - now I guess I've officially qualified for the 'old granny club'.Enjoy the snow all.
[quote][p][bold]lemonhead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]aerolover[/bold] wrote: In the 50's and early 60's schools didn't close due to a small amount of snow. Kids love it when it snowed but in this age when everyone is afraid of being sued no one wants to risk it.[/p][/quote]I agree with you,now it is any excuse not to go to school,do we see all work places closing down for the tiny amount of snow we have got,no we dont,just the schools as usual,no wonder The UK is a weak nation now.Just imagine what this generation are going to grow uo like,a bunch of lazy soft minded people that will be after compansation if you so much as sneeze near them.[/p][/quote]AGREE! Snow never used to close schools - except in extreme amounts or when the old boilers used to pack up! It was standard to don your wellies and walk to wherever you had to go - enjoying a few snowballs along the way, This increasingly litigious society is removing all sense of backbone and just 'getting on with it'! There - now I guess I've officially qualified for the 'old granny club'.Enjoy the snow all. farigola32
  • Score: 0

12:18pm Fri 18 Jan 13

sea poole says...

farigola32- Never closed...? You've obviously NEVER read school log books from the early days -schools were forever closing -windy weather, heavy rain, snow, fetes in towns/villages/ flower shows. Think you're a little too nostalgic
farigola32- Never closed...? You've obviously NEVER read school log books from the early days -schools were forever closing -windy weather, heavy rain, snow, fetes in towns/villages/ flower shows. Think you're a little too nostalgic sea poole
  • Score: 0

12:48pm Fri 18 Jan 13

isaacworthington says...

BournemouthMum wrote:
So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to!
Obviously their crystal ball wasn't working...
[quote][p][bold]BournemouthMum[/bold] wrote: So virtually all the schools in the area are closed.because of a bit of snow? I wish they would let us know the day before so we wouldn't get up at 6.45am only to find we didn't need to![/p][/quote]Obviously their crystal ball wasn't working... isaacworthington
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Lord Snooty says...

Not all schools are closed. St Thomas Garnet's is open. Be careful not to generalise about teachers and schools.....
Not all schools are closed. St Thomas Garnet's is open. Be careful not to generalise about teachers and schools..... Lord Snooty
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Repo says...

The snow has all been washed away now. How silly do all these school closures look now !!???

Well done Moordown st johns for staying open today. There is a photo on thier facebook page of kids having fun in the school playground. imagine that !

Genius comment, as seen on Twitter earlier: "Teachers, in among your many training days you have every year, why not have a learning to drive in the snow training day?!"
The snow has all been washed away now. How silly do all these school closures look now !!??? Well done Moordown st johns for staying open today. There is a photo on thier facebook page of kids having fun in the school playground. imagine that ! Genius comment, as seen on Twitter earlier: "Teachers, in among your many training days you have every year, why not have a learning to drive in the snow training day?!" Repo
  • Score: 0

1:47pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Repo says...

Lord Snooty wrote:
Not all schools are closed. St Thomas Garnet's is open. Be careful not to generalise about teachers and schools.....
Teachers unions are always generalizing about their own members aren't they? "lets ALL strike", "we ALL want better pensions, more pay, earlier retirement etc."
[quote][p][bold]Lord Snooty[/bold] wrote: Not all schools are closed. St Thomas Garnet's is open. Be careful not to generalise about teachers and schools.....[/p][/quote]Teachers unions are always generalizing about their own members aren't they? "lets ALL strike", "we ALL want better pensions, more pay, earlier retirement etc." Repo
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Fri 18 Jan 13

guisselle says...

My daughter was told not to go into work
and actually was on her way and had to
turn around as roads in Bournemouth were bad!
My daughter was told not to go into work and actually was on her way and had to turn around as roads in Bournemouth were bad! guisselle
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Lord Snooty says...

Blimey Repo.....you do hate teachers don't you? You're desperate to tar all teachers with the same brush. Do grow up!
Blimey Repo.....you do hate teachers don't you? You're desperate to tar all teachers with the same brush. Do grow up! Lord Snooty
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Repo says...

Lord Snooty wrote:
Blimey Repo.....you do hate teachers don't you? You're desperate to tar all teachers with the same brush. Do grow up!
I don't hate teachers. I actually really appreciate the good ones. But they don't do themselves any favors by always towing the union line. I wish the more talented teachers would stand up for themselves and their pupils a lot more.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Snooty[/bold] wrote: Blimey Repo.....you do hate teachers don't you? You're desperate to tar all teachers with the same brush. Do grow up![/p][/quote]I don't hate teachers. I actually really appreciate the good ones. But they don't do themselves any favors by always towing the union line. I wish the more talented teachers would stand up for themselves and their pupils a lot more. Repo
  • Score: 0

3:56pm Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

Absolutely no reason to close the schools in Poole today I'm sorry I left school in 1983 never did we have teacher training days or schools shut as a result of snow ,what a good attitude to teach the children that its ok to not work if the weather is slightly inclement modern teachers need to look to there teaching peers and grow a backbone
Absolutely no reason to close the schools in Poole today I'm sorry I left school in 1983 never did we have teacher training days or schools shut as a result of snow ,what a good attitude to teach the children that its ok to not work if the weather is slightly inclement modern teachers need to look to there teaching peers and grow a backbone alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

4:08pm Fri 18 Jan 13

farigola32 says...

sea poole wrote:
farigola32- Never closed...? You've obviously NEVER read school log books from the early days -schools were forever closing -windy weather, heavy rain, snow, fetes in towns/villages/ flower shows. Think you're a little too nostalgic
Which 'early days' log books are you referring to? In my memory - and others' it seems - schools didn't close because of a little snow (they did for polling day though) but closed when drifts were up around windows! Nostalgia doesn't come into it - just can't believe we have a few flurries - more or less long gone - and schools close - why not teach younger people including teachers, that you face adversity and get on with it, not let it win. Now there's a 'nostalgic' lesson to teach our children.
[quote][p][bold]sea poole[/bold] wrote: farigola32- Never closed...? You've obviously NEVER read school log books from the early days -schools were forever closing -windy weather, heavy rain, snow, fetes in towns/villages/ flower shows. Think you're a little too nostalgic[/p][/quote]Which 'early days' log books are you referring to? In my memory - and others' it seems - schools didn't close because of a little snow (they did for polling day though) but closed when drifts were up around windows! Nostalgia doesn't come into it - just can't believe we have a few flurries - more or less long gone - and schools close - why not teach younger people including teachers, that you face adversity and get on with it, not let it win. Now there's a 'nostalgic' lesson to teach our children. farigola32
  • Score: 0

4:17pm Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

Why is it people from all sectors of the working community can manage to make it to work and continue on with there daily work routine yet it is deemed fit to close schools ?
Why is it people from all sectors of the working community can manage to make it to work and continue on with there daily work routine yet it is deemed fit to close schools ? alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

4:28pm Fri 18 Jan 13

sammmymac says...

You are all forgetting that teachers are merely employees and do not make these decisions themselves. Decisions to close schools are made by local authorities, heads and governors. Teachers have to do what they are told just like pupils. Lots of them live a considerable distance form the schools they teach in and have to set off between 6.30 and 7 on their daily commute. It is rare for a teacher to actually live in the catchment area of the school they teach in. Most schools will only have a couple that do. Could they realistically be left safely in charge of hundreds of children? I think you will find that most teachers are working at home today trying to plan how to fit all today's missed lessons into next week's timetable.
You are all forgetting that teachers are merely employees and do not make these decisions themselves. Decisions to close schools are made by local authorities, heads and governors. Teachers have to do what they are told just like pupils. Lots of them live a considerable distance form the schools they teach in and have to set off between 6.30 and 7 on their daily commute. It is rare for a teacher to actually live in the catchment area of the school they teach in. Most schools will only have a couple that do. Could they realistically be left safely in charge of hundreds of children? I think you will find that most teachers are working at home today trying to plan how to fit all today's missed lessons into next week's timetable. sammmymac
  • Score: 0

4:33pm Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

sammmymac wrote:
You are all forgetting that teachers are merely employees and do not make these decisions themselves. Decisions to close schools are made by local authorities, heads and governors. Teachers have to do what they are told just like pupils. Lots of them live a considerable distance form the schools they teach in and have to set off between 6.30 and 7 on their daily commute. It is rare for a teacher to actually live in the catchment area of the school they teach in. Most schools will only have a couple that do. Could they realistically be left safely in charge of hundreds of children? I think you will find that most teachers are working at home today trying to plan how to fit all today's missed lessons into next week's timetable.
Your argument does not work we had 100% attendance at work today with employees travelling distance to get to in so you can not use that excuse in defence of teachers having to commute distance to get in if other workers can make the journey to work why can't they
[quote][p][bold]sammmymac[/bold] wrote: You are all forgetting that teachers are merely employees and do not make these decisions themselves. Decisions to close schools are made by local authorities, heads and governors. Teachers have to do what they are told just like pupils. Lots of them live a considerable distance form the schools they teach in and have to set off between 6.30 and 7 on their daily commute. It is rare for a teacher to actually live in the catchment area of the school they teach in. Most schools will only have a couple that do. Could they realistically be left safely in charge of hundreds of children? I think you will find that most teachers are working at home today trying to plan how to fit all today's missed lessons into next week's timetable.[/p][/quote]Your argument does not work we had 100% attendance at work today with employees travelling distance to get to in so you can not use that excuse in defence of teachers having to commute distance to get in if other workers can make the journey to work why can't they alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

4:38pm Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

And there are schools within the local area that have remained open and well done to them I'm looking out of my window now and the snow has almost gone its laughable the knee jerk reaction when we have a light snowfall
And there are schools within the local area that have remained open and well done to them I'm looking out of my window now and the snow has almost gone its laughable the knee jerk reaction when we have a light snowfall alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

4:40pm Fri 18 Jan 13

sammmymac says...

...because their bosses tell them the school is shut and not to come to work! Something to do with the fear of litigation in case of accidents by staff travelling or pupils slipping over in their care no doubt. Teachers don't decide these things, so if you're going to criticise, criticise the authorities not the employees.
...because their bosses tell them the school is shut and not to come to work! Something to do with the fear of litigation in case of accidents by staff travelling or pupils slipping over in their care no doubt. Teachers don't decide these things, so if you're going to criticise, criticise the authorities not the employees. sammmymac
  • Score: 0

4:47pm Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

sammmymac wrote:
...because their bosses tell them the school is shut and not to come to work! Something to do with the fear of litigation in case of accidents by staff travelling or pupils slipping over in their care no doubt. Teachers don't decide these things, so if you're going to criticise, criticise the authorities not the employees.
The magic word litigation for gods sake teachers and pupils get to school in Scandinavian countries on a daily basis regardless of the weather the only fears I had in my youth going to school on a snowy day was the inevitable snowball ambush its the nanny state we live in ruled by the health and safety nutters
[quote][p][bold]sammmymac[/bold] wrote: ...because their bosses tell them the school is shut and not to come to work! Something to do with the fear of litigation in case of accidents by staff travelling or pupils slipping over in their care no doubt. Teachers don't decide these things, so if you're going to criticise, criticise the authorities not the employees.[/p][/quote]The magic word litigation for gods sake teachers and pupils get to school in Scandinavian countries on a daily basis regardless of the weather the only fears I had in my youth going to school on a snowy day was the inevitable snowball ambush its the nanny state we live in ruled by the health and safety nutters alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Fri 18 Jan 13

sea poole says...

farigola32 -Just trot along to any local school and if they still retain their log books, ask (politely) if you can read the diary contents -and count how many days schools were closed because of reasons we wouldn't accept today. e.g.Local Fair, Village Flower Show, Church Anniversary, closures by discretion of the local lord of the manor, or Chair of Governors...and that's without getting even close to weather conditions...
farigola32 -Just trot along to any local school and if they still retain their log books, ask (politely) if you can read the diary contents -and count how many days schools were closed because of reasons we wouldn't accept today. e.g.Local Fair, Village Flower Show, Church Anniversary, closures by discretion of the local lord of the manor, or Chair of Governors...and that's without getting even close to weather conditions... sea poole
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Fri 18 Jan 13

bucksteacher says...

alasdair1967 wrote:
Why is it people from all sectors of the working community can manage to make it to work and continue on with there daily work routine yet it is deemed fit to close schools ?
Because most other workplaces don't have around 1200 over-excited young people crammed into buildings designed for only around 800, with the school field under 3ft of water and out of action for months, which would most likely have resulted in actions by some pupils that would have compromised the safety of others and perhaps resulted in the exclusion of said students, affecting their life future life chances for the sake of an over-excited mistake. A long sentence, but hopefully one that goes some way towards showing that this is not about lazy teachers. The situation above refers to my own school in Dorset, which was closed today for this reason.
[quote][p][bold]alasdair1967[/bold] wrote: Why is it people from all sectors of the working community can manage to make it to work and continue on with there daily work routine yet it is deemed fit to close schools ?[/p][/quote]Because most other workplaces don't have around 1200 over-excited young people crammed into buildings designed for only around 800, with the school field under 3ft of water and out of action for months, which would most likely have resulted in actions by some pupils that would have compromised the safety of others and perhaps resulted in the exclusion of said students, affecting their life future life chances for the sake of an over-excited mistake. A long sentence, but hopefully one that goes some way towards showing that this is not about lazy teachers. The situation above refers to my own school in Dorset, which was closed today for this reason. bucksteacher
  • Score: 0

6:18pm Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

bucksteacher wrote:
alasdair1967 wrote:
Why is it people from all sectors of the working community can manage to make it to work and continue on with there daily work routine yet it is deemed fit to close schools ?
Because most other workplaces don't have around 1200 over-excited young people crammed into buildings designed for only around 800, with the school field under 3ft of water and out of action for months, which would most likely have resulted in actions by some pupils that would have compromised the safety of others and perhaps resulted in the exclusion of said students, affecting their life future life chances for the sake of an over-excited mistake. A long sentence, but hopefully one that goes some way towards showing that this is not about lazy teachers. The situation above refers to my own school in Dorset, which was closed today for this reason.
Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?
[quote][p][bold]bucksteacher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alasdair1967[/bold] wrote: Why is it people from all sectors of the working community can manage to make it to work and continue on with there daily work routine yet it is deemed fit to close schools ?[/p][/quote]Because most other workplaces don't have around 1200 over-excited young people crammed into buildings designed for only around 800, with the school field under 3ft of water and out of action for months, which would most likely have resulted in actions by some pupils that would have compromised the safety of others and perhaps resulted in the exclusion of said students, affecting their life future life chances for the sake of an over-excited mistake. A long sentence, but hopefully one that goes some way towards showing that this is not about lazy teachers. The situation above refers to my own school in Dorset, which was closed today for this reason.[/p][/quote]Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ? alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

6:21pm Fri 18 Jan 13

bucksteacher says...

"Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?”

No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.
"Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?” No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons. bucksteacher
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Fri 18 Jan 13

alasdair1967 says...

bucksteacher wrote:
"Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?”

No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.
Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time
[quote][p][bold]bucksteacher[/bold] wrote: "Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?” No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.[/p][/quote]Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time alasdair1967
  • Score: 0

7:02pm Fri 18 Jan 13

sammmymac says...

Growing up, my school was a polling station and used to be shut two or three times a year for voting. Nowadays schools that are polling stations have to stay open and just use the hall or one classroom. As for snow, I recall almost a week off in the mid seventies a couple of winters in a row when I perfected my sledging skills. I also recall power cuts and boiler break downs resulting in school closures. Even toilets not flushing or canteen out of action....all sorts. Going further back in time, schools were shut for health reasons; if too many pupils had measles or mumps. Don't begrudge our local children a day of fun, they wouldn't have concentrated very well in school today anyway and would have spent most of it looking out of the window!
Growing up, my school was a polling station and used to be shut two or three times a year for voting. Nowadays schools that are polling stations have to stay open and just use the hall or one classroom. As for snow, I recall almost a week off in the mid seventies a couple of winters in a row when I perfected my sledging skills. I also recall power cuts and boiler break downs resulting in school closures. Even toilets not flushing or canteen out of action....all sorts. Going further back in time, schools were shut for health reasons; if too many pupils had measles or mumps. Don't begrudge our local children a day of fun, they wouldn't have concentrated very well in school today anyway and would have spent most of it looking out of the window! sammmymac
  • Score: 0

7:20pm Fri 18 Jan 13

BournemouthMum says...

alasdair1967 wrote:
bucksteacher wrote:
"Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?”

No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.
Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time
Me neither. I lived in London throughout my school years and I don't remember my school - or surrounding schools - ever closing due to bad weather.
[quote][p][bold]alasdair1967[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bucksteacher[/bold] wrote: "Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?” No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.[/p][/quote]Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time[/p][/quote]Me neither. I lived in London throughout my school years and I don't remember my school - or surrounding schools - ever closing due to bad weather. BournemouthMum
  • Score: 0

7:23pm Fri 18 Jan 13

bucksteacher says...

alasdair1967 wrote:
bucksteacher wrote:
"Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?”

No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.
Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time
sammymac seems to have a better memory, perhaps alasdair1967 was just lucky (my school closed frequently too). As for taking holidays, schools were not accountable for attendance then as they are now. The attention on schools deflects attention from the government who create the policies and backdrop that lead to these decisions.
[quote][p][bold]alasdair1967[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bucksteacher[/bold] wrote: "Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?” No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.[/p][/quote]Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time[/p][/quote]sammymac seems to have a better memory, perhaps alasdair1967 was just lucky (my school closed frequently too). As for taking holidays, schools were not accountable for attendance then as they are now. The attention on schools deflects attention from the government who create the policies and backdrop that lead to these decisions. bucksteacher
  • Score: 0

8:14pm Fri 18 Jan 13

bucksteacher says...

BournemouthMum wrote:
alasdair1967 wrote:
bucksteacher wrote:
"Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?”

No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.
Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time
Me neither. I lived in London throughout my school years and I don't remember my school - or surrounding schools - ever closing due to bad weather.
...because you lived in London, where there is far less snowfall than elsewhere. My school closed pretty much every year in the Midlands.
[quote][p][bold]BournemouthMum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alasdair1967[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bucksteacher[/bold] wrote: "Well we all got by in our youth did we not ? So what's different now ?” No we didn't, you are being nostalgic. Schools closed far more frequently than they do today, for many more reasons.[/p][/quote]Rubbish I do not recall a single day throughout my school years that school was closed be it teacher training days or due to the weather and at least during my informative years my parents where not penalised for taking holidays during term time[/p][/quote]Me neither. I lived in London throughout my school years and I don't remember my school - or surrounding schools - ever closing due to bad weather.[/p][/quote]...because you lived in London, where there is far less snowfall than elsewhere. My school closed pretty much every year in the Midlands. bucksteacher
  • Score: 0

12:33am Tue 22 Jan 13

Reader Echo says...

When I was at school not one day from the age of five through to sixteen was missed at all.

This included snow, lack of heating or the incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days.

How parents can plan their working week around this unreliable shambles is beyond me. It's no wonder that this country is a claim seeking load of wimps.
When I was at school not one day from the age of five through to sixteen was missed at all. This included snow, lack of heating or the incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days. How parents can plan their working week around this unreliable shambles is beyond me. It's no wonder that this country is a claim seeking load of wimps. Reader Echo
  • Score: 0

8:45am Tue 22 Jan 13

oversixty says...

Reader Echo wrote:
When I was at school not one day from the age of five through to sixteen was missed at all.

This included snow, lack of heating or the incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days.

How parents can plan their working week around this unreliable shambles is beyond me. It's no wonder that this country is a claim seeking load of wimps.
Did you see the Winterwatch programme last week? It was about the big freeze 50 years ago which started on Boxing Day and lasted for 2 months!
My wife says she never went back to school until late February!
One day missed and you whinge about it! What would you have done 50 years ago?
[quote][p][bold]Reader Echo[/bold] wrote: When I was at school not one day from the age of five through to sixteen was missed at all. This included snow, lack of heating or the incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days. How parents can plan their working week around this unreliable shambles is beyond me. It's no wonder that this country is a claim seeking load of wimps.[/p][/quote]Did you see the Winterwatch programme last week? It was about the big freeze 50 years ago which started on Boxing Day and lasted for 2 months! My wife says she never went back to school until late February! One day missed and you whinge about it! What would you have done 50 years ago? oversixty
  • Score: 0

7:45am Fri 25 Jan 13

bucksteacher says...

Reader Echo wrote:
When I was at school not one day from the age of five through to sixteen was missed at all.

This included snow, lack of heating or the incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days.

How parents can plan their working week around this unreliable shambles is beyond me. It's no wonder that this country is a claim seeking load of wimps.
"incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days"

..this confirms your total lack of understanding of what goes on in schools.

When you were at school, it is likely that your school buildings were designed with enough space. My school has 1200 in buildings designed for 700-800 - difficult on a normal school day, let alone the added complications of snow.

Get yourself into a school and find out what it is really like before making sweeping statements. I don't claim to know all about your line of work.
[quote][p][bold]Reader Echo[/bold] wrote: When I was at school not one day from the age of five through to sixteen was missed at all. This included snow, lack of heating or the incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days. How parents can plan their working week around this unreliable shambles is beyond me. It's no wonder that this country is a claim seeking load of wimps.[/p][/quote]"incredible teacher training coffee and cakes days" ..this confirms your total lack of understanding of what goes on in schools. When you were at school, it is likely that your school buildings were designed with enough space. My school has 1200 in buildings designed for 700-800 - difficult on a normal school day, let alone the added complications of snow. Get yourself into a school and find out what it is really like before making sweeping statements. I don't claim to know all about your line of work. bucksteacher
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree