People power forces rethink over parking in Poole

Bournemouth Echo: PASSING: Traffic overtakes parked vehicles on North Road in Poole PASSING: Traffic overtakes parked vehicles on North Road in Poole

PLANS to drastically reduce parking on a major Poole road have been scaled back following an outcry from residents.

Poole council had wanted to remove all parking during the day on the narrowest part of North Road to make it easier for buses to pass each other.

It had also proposed double yellow lines on both sides near the top of the road as well as cycle lanes in both directions.

Wilts and Dorset, which runs buses up to every seven minutes along the route, said it wanted “full removal of on-street parking”. It said this would benefit passengers and improve air quality by cutting the time buses spent waiting to pass each other.

But Parkstone councillor Tony Woodcock said the plans would have meant taking vital parking away from residents at the built-up end of the road.

“These people in these houses have children. They bought houses because they could park their cars and take the kids to school,” he said.

“These people have worked hard all their lives and saved to buy a car to give them freedom to move and then we’re saying you can’t park anywhere.

“Wilts and Dorset are complaining that they can’t pass each other but I think it’s nonsense and all the residents think it’s nonsense.”

The latest plans for North Road – which go before councillors on January 17 – include:

  • Removing some parking between Danecourt Road and Ashley Road, but keeping more of it than originally proposed, especially on the downhill side of the road.
  • Installing a cycle lane on the uphill side of the road, rather than both sides as earlier proposed.
  • Scrapping earlier plans to ban parking in the daytime between Danecourt Road and the Civic Centre.

The measures will be financed from the £18million plan to improve the A35 corridor through the conurbation, which has attracted a £12m government grant.

North Road resident Janet Pethen told the Daily Echo she was “totally against” loss of parking. “At the first meeting, they wanted to ban all parking along this stretch. There’s just nowhere to park. Nobody’s happy about it at all,” she said.

Sian Roff, co-owner of Blue Shutters Guest House, on North Road, said: “We’ve got parking at the front but for our guests, it’s very important. But resident Helen Fox said: “We’re happy about the proposals because with the parking on this side of the road, it’s a nightmare for us to get out of the drive. You can’t see either up or down the road when getting out.”

You say

  • Darryl Griffiths, North Road resident: “To me it seems like a waste of money that they didn’t speak to the residents before they put the first scheme in. It seems a lot of money wasted by councillors, planners and residents.”
  • Richard Horton, a fellow North Road resident said: “To my mind, we have to slow the traffic down somehow. Removing parking is not going to slow it down, it’s going to speed it up.”
  • Debbie Butler said: “It would be a real problem. We wouldn’t have anywhere to park,” said the visitor to North Road. “People park here who work down in Poole because it’s the only place you can park where you don’t have to pay.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:59pm Mon 7 Jan 13

FNS-man says...

So we can't make the roads safer because people need their cars to drive their kids to school, because it's not safe for them to cycle there. Excellent logic.
So we can't make the roads safer because people need their cars to drive their kids to school, because it's not safe for them to cycle there. Excellent logic. FNS-man

1:06pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Derf says...

So Wilts & Dorset don't mind holding everyone else up by running 3 buses one behind the other and trying to get all 3 into the same bus stop at the same time bringing everything behind them to a halt, yet cry fowl when one of their vehicles are inconvenienced!
So Wilts & Dorset don't mind holding everyone else up by running 3 buses one behind the other and trying to get all 3 into the same bus stop at the same time bringing everything behind them to a halt, yet cry fowl when one of their vehicles are inconvenienced! Derf

1:09pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Pezza1040 says...

GET A GRIP FNS-MAN YOU ARE CLEARLY A PERSON WITH A DRIVE OR LIVE NOWHERE NEAR NORTH ROAD TO UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR PARKING SO YOUR OPINION IS QUITE FRANKLY INVALID.
GET A GRIP FNS-MAN YOU ARE CLEARLY A PERSON WITH A DRIVE OR LIVE NOWHERE NEAR NORTH ROAD TO UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR PARKING SO YOUR OPINION IS QUITE FRANKLY INVALID. Pezza1040

3:34pm Mon 7 Jan 13

benjamin says...

There are many streets far worse than North Road. I have travelled by bus many times up and down this road. There is not any need to put further restrictions on parking, I haven't seen bus drivers held up any more than any other road user.
There are many streets far worse than North Road. I have travelled by bus many times up and down this road. There is not any need to put further restrictions on parking, I haven't seen bus drivers held up any more than any other road user. benjamin

4:07pm Mon 7 Jan 13

l'anglais says...

Rather than parking on both sides on the road all of the time, why not park cars on one side for the 1st half of the month and the other side the second half of the month.
This would be a fair compromise.
Rather than parking on both sides on the road all of the time, why not park cars on one side for the 1st half of the month and the other side the second half of the month. This would be a fair compromise. l'anglais

5:08pm Mon 7 Jan 13

EGHH says...

Ruddy buses again. I watched 2 Wilts and Dorset buses plus a Yellow Bus all trying too get into the same bus stop. They caused chaos and traffic holds up. Its about time the number of buses were limited! As Maggie Thatcher allegedly said "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure."
Ruddy buses again. I watched 2 Wilts and Dorset buses plus a Yellow Bus all trying too get into the same bus stop. They caused chaos and traffic holds up. Its about time the number of buses were limited! As Maggie Thatcher allegedly said "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure." EGHH

7:12pm Mon 7 Jan 13

FNS-man says...

Pezza1040 wrote:
GET A GRIP FNS-MAN YOU ARE CLEARLY A PERSON WITH A DRIVE OR LIVE NOWHERE NEAR NORTH ROAD TO UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR PARKING SO YOUR OPINION IS QUITE FRANKLY INVALID.
Is it? Not sure why my taxes should pay for someone to park. If parking is so important, then buy a house with a drive.

Also you might want to take caps lock off.
[quote][p][bold]Pezza1040[/bold] wrote: GET A GRIP FNS-MAN YOU ARE CLEARLY A PERSON WITH A DRIVE OR LIVE NOWHERE NEAR NORTH ROAD TO UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR PARKING SO YOUR OPINION IS QUITE FRANKLY INVALID.[/p][/quote]Is it? Not sure why my taxes should pay for someone to park. If parking is so important, then buy a house with a drive. Also you might want to take caps lock off. FNS-man

7:12pm Mon 7 Jan 13

FNS-man says...

EGHH wrote:
Ruddy buses again. I watched 2 Wilts and Dorset buses plus a Yellow Bus all trying too get into the same bus stop. They caused chaos and traffic holds up. Its about time the number of buses were limited! As Maggie Thatcher allegedly said "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure."
Imagine the traffic chaos if everyone went by bus. It would be a nightmare.
[quote][p][bold]EGHH[/bold] wrote: Ruddy buses again. I watched 2 Wilts and Dorset buses plus a Yellow Bus all trying too get into the same bus stop. They caused chaos and traffic holds up. Its about time the number of buses were limited! As Maggie Thatcher allegedly said "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure."[/p][/quote]Imagine the traffic chaos if everyone went by bus. It would be a nightmare. FNS-man

9:32pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Pezza1040 says...

FNS-Man

So your not clever enough to drive then??
FNS-Man So your not clever enough to drive then?? Pezza1040

9:49pm Mon 7 Jan 13

ashleycross says...

EGHH wrote:
Ruddy buses again. I watched 2 Wilts and Dorset buses plus a Yellow Bus all trying too get into the same bus stop. They caused chaos and traffic holds up. Its about time the number of buses were limited! As Maggie Thatcher allegedly said "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure."
And a man who beyond the age of 26 finds himself on a bike can consider himself a huge success. Why do you think Canford Cliffs is full of cyclists and Sandbanks is full of cycle lanes? Think about it and drag yourself out of the 80's (now30 years ago)and into the present day EGHH.
Germany, which is not a country in recession begging other countries for handouts, is full of bus lanes and cycle lanes and has been for decades because it is cleaner, healthier to walk to a bus stop or cycle and most importantly saves on misery gut pills because of the endorphins released through exercise.
[quote][p][bold]EGHH[/bold] wrote: Ruddy buses again. I watched 2 Wilts and Dorset buses plus a Yellow Bus all trying too get into the same bus stop. They caused chaos and traffic holds up. Its about time the number of buses were limited! As Maggie Thatcher allegedly said "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure."[/p][/quote]And a man who beyond the age of 26 finds himself on a bike can consider himself a huge success. Why do you think Canford Cliffs is full of cyclists and Sandbanks is full of cycle lanes? Think about it and drag yourself out of the 80's (now30 years ago)and into the present day EGHH. Germany, which is not a country in recession begging other countries for handouts, is full of bus lanes and cycle lanes and has been for decades because it is cleaner, healthier to walk to a bus stop or cycle and most importantly saves on misery gut pills because of the endorphins released through exercise. ashleycross

9:09am Tue 8 Jan 13

thought-full says...

It may not be general knowledge that residents PAY to park here! Surely a nice little earner for the council!
It may not be general knowledge that residents PAY to park here! Surely a nice little earner for the council! thought-full

10:17am Tue 8 Jan 13

madras says...

Hate to be a pedant, but the caption 'Traffic overtakes parked vehicles' should, I think, read, 'Traffic passes...' as I don't think you can 'overtake' a parked car. Happy to stand corrected
Hate to be a pedant, but the caption 'Traffic overtakes parked vehicles' should, I think, read, 'Traffic passes...' as I don't think you can 'overtake' a parked car. Happy to stand corrected madras

7:16pm Tue 8 Jan 13

FNS-man says...

Pezza1040 wrote:
FNS-Man So your not clever enough to drive then??
To my eternal shame I have a driving licence. Thankfully, I am clever enough not to drive.

(Congratulations on finding the Caps Lock key.)
[quote][p][bold]Pezza1040[/bold] wrote: FNS-Man So your not clever enough to drive then??[/p][/quote]To my eternal shame I have a driving licence. Thankfully, I am clever enough not to drive. (Congratulations on finding the Caps Lock key.) FNS-man

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree