When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Elliot Turner given leave to appeal conviction for murdering Emily Longley
THE man found guilty of murdering aspiring model girlfriend Emily Longley has won the right to appeal.
Elliot Turner, 21, has been granted leave to appeal his conviction and sentence.
A full appeal hearing will now be heard before three judges at the Court of Appeal in London where Turner's legal team will try to get his murder conviction overturned.
Self-professed playboy Turner was jailed for life in May after being convicted of killing 17-year-old Emily in his bed at the family home in Queenswood Avenue, Queens Park, Bournemouth, on May 7, 2011.
He was told he would have to serve a minimum of 16 years in prison before he would be considered for parole.
The court heard the attack was the culmination of a month of anger and upset over suspicions that Emily was "twisting his heart" by seeing other men.
A spokesman for the Court of Appeal said yesterday: “I can confirm he has been granted leave to appeal his conviction and sentence. A date has yet to be fixed.”
Turner admitted during the four-week trial at Winchester Crown Court that he had grabbed Emily around the throat during an argument but claimed it was self defence and she was alive afterwards.
His parents, Leigh and Anita Turner, were also convicted during the same trial of perverting the course of justice by destroying a confession note and removing a jacket from the scene.
They were each jailed for 27 months.
British-born Emily emigrated to New Zealand with her parents Mark and Caroline, and sister Hannah, when she was nine.
- 'I hope they feel remorseful' - father of Emily Longley says after parents of murderer Elliot Turner are released
- Elliot Turner’s parents freed from jail after serving half their sentence for covering up Emily Longley murder
- Judges rule Elliot Turner's conviction was ‘fair and proper’
- VIDEO: Elliot Turner loses appeal over Emily Longley's murder
- Elliot Turner loses appeal against conviction and sentence
- Emily Longley murder trial: Elliot Turner bids to have conviction overturned
- Emily Longley’s killer awaits appeal decision
- Murderer Elliot Turner targeted by prisoners
- Father of Bournemouth murder victim Emily Longley joins anti-violence campaign
- New safety scheme set up in memory of Emily Longley
- Emily Longley trial: murder victim's family relieved case is over
- Emily Longley trial: Elliot Turner's parents jailed for 27 months
- Elliot Turner to appeal Emily Longley murder sentence
- Emily Longley trial: Parents of killer Elliot Turner to be sentenced
- UPDATED Emily Longley trial: Elliot Turner sentenced to life in prison
- Emily Longley trial: "All Talk Turner", the cash-rich thug who thought he was a celebrity
- UPDATED Emily Longley trial: Elliot Turner guilty of murder
- Emily Longley trial: Model’s good looks attracted admirers
- Emily Longley trial: Turner working in the family business at time of arrest
- LIVE: The Emily Longley trial
Comments are closed on this article.