Got him: Manhunt for Dean Goodwin ends in dramatic arrest outside Sainsbury's (From Bournemouth Echo)
When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Wanted man Dean Goodwin arrested by police
WANTED man Dean Goodwin has been arrested in Poole.
Police thanked the Daily Echo for its publicity over the manhunt which ended in his arrest.
The 32-year-old has been wanted by police in relation to a rape since last Friday and was tracked down by armed police.
Goodwin was arrested in Bournemouth road at 5.45pm and is being held at Bournemouth police station.
Detective Superintendent Mark Cooper, head of Dorset’s Major Crime Team, said: “I would like to thank the public and the media for their help and support throughout this intensive police operation.
“Our officers and staff have worked tirelessly and I’m pleased we’ve been able to bring this to a safe conclusion with the arrest of Dean Goodwin.”
Eyewitnesses said three officers had been laying in wait for an hour when Goodwin ran past the Shell garage in Bournemouth Road.
They ran across the road after him as he went to get into a Peugeot 206 that had a woman inside and officers were heard shouting: “Armed police, get down.”
The eyewitnesses said as he passed the Sainsbury’s Local and got into the car outside Foysals Indian take-away three police officers managed to get him out of the vehicle and grapple him to the ground. Amid the mayhem staff at the Halfway Fish Bar yards away locked the doors to protect the families with children inside.
A five-month pregnant woman was treated by paramedics after suffering a panic attack on the garage forecourt.
Friends Dan Stevens and Edward George, 20, said Goodwin had been tailed by officers in unmarked cars.
Mr Stevens said Goodwin didn’t give up without a fight, battling against the three officers who held him on the floor for 15 minutes.
“There was a big struggle when they were trying to get him off the ground where they were holding him,” the 23-year-old said. “He’d been cuffed at that point, and he’s a big stocky lad.
“They put him into what looked like a straight jacket and put an overall on top so you couldn’t see what he was wearing.”
Two BMW cars and a Volvo believed to be unmarked police cars pulled up when Goodwin arrived on Bournemouth Road at around 5.45pm.
Mr George, said “it all kicked off,” with Goodwin “fighting it quite hard”. He said: “It was a bit of a shock – we can’t believe it.”
Keith Telling, sales assistant at the Shell garage, said: “I heard ‘armed police get down’ and saw him being bundled down in front of the take-away after he ran past.”
A member of staff at Top Wok said he saw Goodwin get into the car before the police descended.
“They pulled him out of the car and took the woman away as well. I’m not sure whether she was with him.”
- Dean Goodwin: Evil rapist tried to contact victim on Facebook just weeks before crime spree
- Robert Syms: I'll raise case of Dean Goodwin's release with Home Secretary
- Rapist Dean Goodwin handed nine life sentences for "terrible acts of violence and humiliation"
- Dean Goodwin: a catalogue of previous offences
- Dean Goodwin handed nine life sentences
- Evil rapist Dean Goodwin to be sentenced this morning
- Rapist Dean Goodwin admits string of terrifying offences
- VIDEO: Dean Goodwin caught on CCTV while on the run
- How the police caught Dean Goodwin
- Dean Goodwin: a dangerous man
- Dean Goodwin 'boasted about wanting to commit a rape to get into a higher security prison'
- Dean Goodwin charged with five rapes and attempted murder
- Dean Goodwin due at Bournemouth Magistrates Court - live updates
- Detectives continue to question Dean Goodwin
- Got him: Manhunt for Dean Goodwin ends in dramatic arrest outside Sainsbury's
- EXCLUSIVE: Dean Goodwin also wanted for attemped murder
- Police thank Echo readers for help in Dean Goodwin search
- Rape victim: I can sleep again now Dean Goodwin has been arrested
- Police hunt for Dean Goodwin - live updates
- Police tell Dean Goodwin: Give yourself up