Surman is set to play the final game of a successful loan spell with Cherries on Saturday, the midfielder having starred during the second-half of the season.
The 27-year-old, who has a year left to run on his contract at Carrow Road, has already said he would consider the possibility of a permanent move to Dean Court should the situation present itself.
However, with Norwich embroiled in a battle to preserve their Premier League status, Surman’s immediate future is likely to remain unclear until their fate has been decided.
Surman was given permission to join Cherries on a season-long loan by Chris Hughton who was sacked by the Norfolk outfit at the start of last month.
Norwich slipped into the Premier League drop zone following Sunderland’s win over Cardiff four days ago and complete the season with games against Chelsea and Arsenal.
Surman, who made 26 appearances for Cherries in 2005-06 after signing on loan from Southampton, has missed just two of the club’s past 26 games.
Boss Howe told the Daily Echo: “Andrew has got better as the season has gone on and has been a really good performer.
“We knew when he came to us he’d had a couple of serious injuries and was always going to take a bit of time to get to his very best. He has been outstanding in the second-half of the season.
“He has been a real calming influence in midfield and is a very good technical player. He is also a very good professional around the lads and his experience has been invaluable to us.
“Hopefully, he will finish off the season in good style and we will wait and see what happens from that point.
“He is Norwich’s player and we respect them for loaning him to us. They have a lot on their plate at the moment and they will decide his future, not us.”
In an interview with the Daily Echo last month, Surman said: “I’ve got a year left at Norwich so a lot will depend on what happens there. I will discuss my options at the end of the season and see what happens.”