Workman taken to hospital with head injuries after fall from crane at building site on St Aldhelms Road in Branksome

Emergency services called after 'person falls off roof'

UPDATE: Emergency services called after 'person falls off roof' in 'industrial incident'

UPDATE: Emergency services called after 'person falls off roof' in 'industrial incident'

UPDATE: Emergency services called after 'person falls off roof' in 'industrial incident'

First published in News by

A WORKMAN has been taken to hospital with head injuries following an industrial incident at a building site in Branksome.

At around 12.20pm emergency services were called to the building site of an apartment block on St Aldhelms Road, next to the supermarket Lidl.

A spokesman from the South Western Ambulance Service said a man was taken to Poole Hospital after he fell approximately four feet from a crane onto a scaffolding platform.

He said: “One male casually was taken to hospital with head injuries and a cut to his face.

He added: “A spinal board and a head collar were used as a precaution.”

Firefighters from Westbourne, Redhill Park and technical rescue teams from Poole Fire Station scrambled to the scene and used an aerial platform to reach the casualty.

A spokesman from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters got to work using the aerial ladder platform and rescued the casualty using a basket stretcher.  The Casualty was then transported to hospital by Ambulance.”

Following the incident, the A35 Poole Road was closed from the LV roundabout at County Gates to Redlands Roundabout at John Lewis. The road has now been fully reopened.

Dan Stoodley, a mechanic at Eden Vauxhall, which sits opposite the building site, witnessed the man being rescued by firefighters.

He said: “I was working out the back at the time. We didn’t even hear the sirens.

“By the time I looked out the crane from the fire engine was already up and the man was being dealt with by the paramedics.

“It is very shocking. We get ambulances going by all the time because it’s such a busy road but you don’t expect to hear about something like this.

“We hope he’s OK.”

Bournemouth Echo:

Sharon Canning, owner of Move On Rentals, which also sits opposite the building site, said she saw the crane at the site operating shortly before the emergency services arrived.

She said: “We were having a meeting and the crane was going backwards and forwards. We closed the blinds because it was so distracting.

“About fifteen minutes later we heard the ambulances.

She added: “You always hear sirens along here but you don’t expect to see them right outside.”

A spokesman from Dorset Police said the Health and Safety Executive have been made aware of the incident.

 

 

 

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:21pm Tue 6 May 14

speedy231278 says...

"There is likely to be delays on all approaches to the area."

ARE likely to be delays, or IS likely to be a delay.
"There is likely to be delays on all approaches to the area." ARE likely to be delays, or IS likely to be a delay. speedy231278
  • Score: 3

1:31pm Tue 6 May 14

nickynoodah says...

speedy231278 wrote:
"There is likely to be delays on all approaches to the area."

ARE likely to be delays, or IS likely to be a delay.
ok some one s fallen out of an aeroplane
and you are crying about is are
you idiot george
[quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: "There is likely to be delays on all approaches to the area." ARE likely to be delays, or IS likely to be a delay.[/p][/quote]ok some one s fallen out of an aeroplane and you are crying about is are you idiot george nickynoodah
  • Score: -33

1:46pm Tue 6 May 14

busman61 says...

"A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar."

4ft? Really??
"A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar." 4ft? Really?? busman61
  • Score: 10

1:52pm Tue 6 May 14

speedy231278 says...

busman61 wrote:
"A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar."

4ft? Really??
So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least.
[quote][p][bold]busman61[/bold] wrote: "A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar." 4ft? Really??[/p][/quote]So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least. speedy231278
  • Score: 12

1:57pm Tue 6 May 14

hooplaa says...

4ft lol!
4ft lol! hooplaa
  • Score: -10

2:12pm Tue 6 May 14

politicaltrainspotter says...

4FT.What was he a midget !
4FT.What was he a midget ! politicaltrainspotter
  • Score: -9

2:54pm Tue 6 May 14

John T says...

This incident was neither at St Adhems Road or St Aldehams Road, both of which are wrongly identified in this report. There is a St Aldhelms Road but, Saints Preserve Us, I think it might have been easier for the OHEC reporter to say that it was Poole Road, which is only about 4 ft away!
This incident was neither at St Adhems Road or St Aldehams Road, both of which are wrongly identified in this report. There is a St Aldhelms Road but, Saints Preserve Us, I think it might have been easier for the OHEC reporter to say that it was Poole Road, which is only about 4 ft away! John T
  • Score: 11

2:56pm Tue 6 May 14

Wackerone says...

speedy231278 wrote:
busman61 wrote:
"A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar."

4ft? Really??
So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least.
It's 'off a roof', not 'off of a roof' as speedy231278 likes grammatical correctness.
[quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]busman61[/bold] wrote: "A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar." 4ft? Really??[/p][/quote]So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least.[/p][/quote]It's 'off a roof', not 'off of a roof' as speedy231278 likes grammatical correctness. Wackerone
  • Score: -2

3:17pm Tue 6 May 14

Mr.Logic says...

I am sure there is a way to rescue the man without closing all of the road around the building.
I am sure there is a way to rescue the man without closing all of the road around the building. Mr.Logic
  • Score: 6

3:37pm Tue 6 May 14

echoreader2701 says...

9 comments in and im first to respond with anything other than a grammar issue! Disgusting.

I hope the poor fella recovers quickly and not too hurt! As the wife of a builder, with no sick pay, we know all too well how you can fall behind financially with only a small time off. Hope hes back on his feet shortly and all is well for him.
9 comments in and im first to respond with anything other than a grammar issue! Disgusting. I hope the poor fella recovers quickly and not too hurt! As the wife of a builder, with no sick pay, we know all too well how you can fall behind financially with only a small time off. Hope hes back on his feet shortly and all is well for him. echoreader2701
  • Score: 22

3:39pm Tue 6 May 14

Old Colonial says...

I see they took him to hospital in a neck brace. I know there are cutbacks but really! Did it have a flashing blue light? Low CO2 emissions though.
I see they took him to hospital in a neck brace. I know there are cutbacks but really! Did it have a flashing blue light? Low CO2 emissions though. Old Colonial
  • Score: -6

3:55pm Tue 6 May 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

As a general rule, falling 150ft onto hard ground or 250ft into water will bring certain death.

4ft very probably won't. It could do, but very unlikely.
As a general rule, falling 150ft onto hard ground or 250ft into water will bring certain death. 4ft very probably won't. It could do, but very unlikely. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 5

4:03pm Tue 6 May 14

Nats1086 says...

A man has fallen and hurt himself, Why are there so many people putting comments on about the height that he has fallen from and the errors in the report? People really don't have anything better to do!

Really hope he is ok, a fall is a fall and he was obviously injured. Shame on you people!

Get better soon.
A man has fallen and hurt himself, Why are there so many people putting comments on about the height that he has fallen from and the errors in the report? People really don't have anything better to do! Really hope he is ok, a fall is a fall and he was obviously injured. Shame on you people! Get better soon. Nats1086
  • Score: 10

4:14pm Tue 6 May 14

pete woodley says...

To many sick comments on here.Come on echo the subject is NOT funny.
To many sick comments on here.Come on echo the subject is NOT funny. pete woodley
  • Score: 9

4:54pm Tue 6 May 14

speedy231278 says...

Wackerone wrote:
speedy231278 wrote:
busman61 wrote:
"A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar."

4ft? Really??
So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least.
It's 'off a roof', not 'off of a roof' as speedy231278 likes grammatical correctness.
Pity that you forgot the comma before as.
[quote][p][bold]Wackerone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]busman61[/bold] wrote: "A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar." 4ft? Really??[/p][/quote]So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least.[/p][/quote]It's 'off a roof', not 'off of a roof' as speedy231278 likes grammatical correctness.[/p][/quote]Pity that you forgot the comma before as. speedy231278
  • Score: -10

5:28pm Tue 6 May 14

ashleycross says...

I don't know if this is one of them, but I lost count ages ago of the number of sites that put up signs saying you can't come in without a hard hat, and no one there is wearing one.
I don't know if this is one of them, but I lost count ages ago of the number of sites that put up signs saying you can't come in without a hard hat, and no one there is wearing one. ashleycross
  • Score: 2

6:06pm Tue 6 May 14

SympatheticSam says...

Why do builders have see - through lunch boxes?

So they can tell if they're going to work or coming home.
Why do builders have see - through lunch boxes? So they can tell if they're going to work or coming home. SympatheticSam
  • Score: 0

6:18pm Tue 6 May 14

Wackerone says...

speedy231278 wrote:
Wackerone wrote:
speedy231278 wrote:
busman61 wrote:
"A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar."

4ft? Really??
So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least.
It's 'off a roof', not 'off of a roof' as speedy231278 likes grammatical correctness.
Pity that you forgot the comma before as.
Apologies, punctuation is normally a strong point.
[quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wackerone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]busman61[/bold] wrote: "A spokesman said a man had fallen 4ft from one platform onto another. He had been taken to Poole Hospital in a neck collar." 4ft? Really??[/p][/quote]So, they didn't even fall off of a roof then! Sounds like they hit their head, which isn't fun to say the least.[/p][/quote]It's 'off a roof', not 'off of a roof' as speedy231278 likes grammatical correctness.[/p][/quote]Pity that you forgot the comma before as.[/p][/quote]Apologies, punctuation is normally a strong point. Wackerone
  • Score: -6

6:44pm Tue 6 May 14

hayleysaint says...

This bloke has been a friend of mine for the last ten years. YES. He was wearing a hard hat. Also the ECHO need to get their facts right.
This bloke has been a friend of mine for the last ten years. YES. He was wearing a hard hat. Also the ECHO need to get their facts right. hayleysaint
  • Score: 10

7:01pm Tue 6 May 14

BIGTONE says...

SympatheticSam says...
Why do builders have see - through lunch boxes?


So they can see how long it will be before they need the Porta Loo.
SympatheticSam says... Why do builders have see - through lunch boxes? So they can see how long it will be before they need the Porta Loo. BIGTONE
  • Score: -6

9:01pm Tue 6 May 14

adspacebroker says...

Captain Echo...you bring it upon yourself!
Captain Echo...you bring it upon yourself! adspacebroker
  • Score: 4

9:28pm Tue 6 May 14

O'Reilly says...

You can break a foot or an ankle just stepping off of a pavement.....a lot of silly remarks.
You can break a foot or an ankle just stepping off of a pavement.....a lot of silly remarks. O'Reilly
  • Score: 0

9:57pm Tue 6 May 14

hooplaa says...

O'Reilly wrote:
You can break a foot or an ankle just stepping off of a pavement.....a lot of silly remarks.
It was still 4ft, it wouldnt even be classed as a 'fall' let alone a 'fall from crane' as the echo girl has put it to add more drama to the non story
[quote][p][bold]O'Reilly[/bold] wrote: You can break a foot or an ankle just stepping off of a pavement.....a lot of silly remarks.[/p][/quote]It was still 4ft, it wouldnt even be classed as a 'fall' let alone a 'fall from crane' as the echo girl has put it to add more drama to the non story hooplaa
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree