YELLOW Buses is withdrawing services from part of North Bournemouth after an air gun or BB gun was fired at one of its vehicles.
The company said it would not be running down Montgomery Avenue, which links West Howe and Kinson, from 6pm today, Monday April 7.
It said there had been 10 incidents in the last year of objects being thrown at buses.
They ranged from eggs to stones. In one incident, a bed was pushed into the road in front of a bus.
A spokesman said: “Last night, it was thought an air gun or BB gun was used to fire pellets at a bus. The damage caused was not significant and has been repaired.”
A statement from Yellow Buses gave details of the withdrawal of service.
It said: "Following a further incident of a missile being thrown at one of our vehicles in Montgomery Ave, Kinson, on Sunday April 6, damaging the bus, we have decided to divert bus services away from the road involved.
"The following diversion will apply to services 5b and 2b on a daily basis from 1800 hours until further notice, commencing today, Monday April 7: service 5b in both directions will no longer serve Poole Lane, Moore Ave, Cunningham Crescent or Montgomery Ave. 5b buses will operate direct between Kinson Rd (East Howe Lane) and Kinson via Kinson Rd and Wimborne Rd. Service 2b will follow the route of the 5a between Moore Avenue and Columbia Rd.
"Services 5a and 2a are unaffected. Alternative buses operate along Moore Ave and Poole Lane.”
It added: “Decisions like this are never taken lightly, but we are not prepared to operate where mindless vandalism of this nature, which could have far reaching consequences, is occurring. We would urge anyone who has any information to contact the police.
“The safety of our passengers and staff is paramount. We cannot give a timescale of when these services might resume as we have to be totally satisfied that the problem has been tackled and that robust measures are in place to avoid any future incidents."
Kinson South councillor Ben Grower said he urged anyone with information to go the police.
“I think it is such a shame that decent, law-abiding people have to suffer because of the actions of a few mindless kids,” he said.
“I know the police are already doing all they can to find those responsible.
"I can quite understand the decision of the bus company to stop the service, as they won’t want to put any employee in danger, but I do hope that it is restored in the future once everything has calmed down.
"I’d like to take the opportunity to urge anyone who knows about this incident to contact the police.”