Love cycling? Appeal for cyclists to train as a Sky Ride leader on free one-day course

ON YA BIKES:  Cyclists are being encouraged to train as Sky Ride leaders and inspire more people to get on their bikes

ON YA BIKES: Cyclists are being encouraged to train as Sky Ride leaders and inspire more people to get on their bikes

First published in News by

ENTHUSIASTIC cyclists in Bournemouth are being encouraged to train as Sky Ride leaders and inspire more people to get on their bikes.

A free British Cycling ride leader training course will be held in Bournemouth next month for cyclists who want to help others enjoy the fun and freedom of riding a bike.

Sky Ride Locals are growing in popularity but rely on volunteers to help make the programme come to life.

The Sky Ride leader training will take place on Saturday, April 12.

Those taking the free one-day course will gain advice and guidance on how to manage a group of cyclists safely on the road, a level one British Cycling ride leadership qualification, free British Cycling membership and Sky Ride kit and the opportunity to meet with other Sky Ride leaders.

Cllr Michael Filer, cabinet member for transport, said: “We are delighted to be working in partnership with British Cycling to deliver the Sky Ride leader training programme.

“Bournemouth is committed to making cycling safer and easier and I would encourage any enthusiastic cyclists in Bournemouth to sign up for this free course.”

Jo-Anne Downing, recreation manager for British Cycling, said: “The British Cycling Ride Leadership qualification trains cyclists to deliver beginner bike rides for adults and children in Bournemouth.

“There is no need to be a cycling expert, just be confident riding in a group and have a good level of fitness. In return we ask our Ride Leaders to guide rides, on set routes and times specified by British Cycling, on no less than four weekends in 2014.

“These organised rides will give local people the opportunity to get on their bikes and try cycling in a safe and casual environment.”

The Sky Ride leadership training course will take place on Saturday, April 12 from 8.45am to 5.30pm at the Village Hotel, Bournemouth.

You will need to bring your bike on the day. To apply to become a Sky Ride leader, visit bournemouth.gov.uk/gettingabout

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:26pm Tue 11 Mar 14

whataboutthat says...

Yes there's no chance media mogul Murdoch - the man responsible for ruining football amongst other things - will dish out anything for free. It never ceases to amaze me how many folk love doing something for corporations. Just what is it about running/cycling about with a corporate logo on a tabard? Advertising is a curse.
The we have
“These organised rides will give local people the opportunity to get on their bikes and try cycling in a safe and casual environment.”
Yes, usually the former preserves of pedestrians.
Yes there's no chance media mogul Murdoch - the man responsible for ruining football amongst other things - will dish out anything for free. It never ceases to amaze me how many folk love doing something for corporations. Just what is it about running/cycling about with a corporate logo on a tabard? Advertising is a curse. The we have “These organised rides will give local people the opportunity to get on their bikes and try cycling in a safe and casual environment.” Yes, usually the former preserves of pedestrians. whataboutthat
  • Score: -8

3:32pm Tue 11 Mar 14

muscliffman says...

Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking....... muscliffman
  • Score: -6

5:32pm Tue 11 Mar 14

sprintervanman says...

muscliffman wrote:
Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road. sprintervanman
  • Score: 9

6:22pm Tue 11 Mar 14

muscliffman says...

sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
[quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference! muscliffman
  • Score: -7

6:39pm Tue 11 Mar 14

sprintervanman says...

muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference![/p][/quote]Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so. sprintervanman
  • Score: 4

8:19pm Tue 11 Mar 14

muscliffman says...

sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so.
Your argument is just a weak and completely invalid way to try and divert attention from the fact that some cyclists DO indisputably break the traffic light rules of the road because they know they are virtually untouchable. Motorists running red lights are very likely to be recorded doing so and prosecuted, this NEVER happens to a cyclist because it's impossible. Motorist speeding is a totally different issue and just like (say) the offensive colour of their cars completely irrelevant to this widely acknowledged traffic light problem with cyclists - stop unsuccessfully attempting to change the subject!
[quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference![/p][/quote]Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so.[/p][/quote]Your argument is just a weak and completely invalid way to try and divert attention from the fact that some cyclists DO indisputably break the traffic light rules of the road because they know they are virtually untouchable. Motorists running red lights are very likely to be recorded doing so and prosecuted, this NEVER happens to a cyclist because it's impossible. Motorist speeding is a totally different issue and just like (say) the offensive colour of their cars completely irrelevant to this widely acknowledged traffic light problem with cyclists - stop unsuccessfully attempting to change the subject! muscliffman
  • Score: -8

8:30pm Tue 11 Mar 14

sprintervanman says...

and the original headline was encouraging people to help people get on their bicycles to which you took upon your self to imply that they would all be jumping red lights.What part of your original comment had relevance to the headline I ask.
and the original headline was encouraging people to help people get on their bicycles to which you took upon your self to imply that they would all be jumping red lights.What part of your original comment had relevance to the headline I ask. sprintervanman
  • Score: 12

8:32pm Tue 11 Mar 14

sprintervanman says...

sorry forgot to quote you on that post muscliffman
sorry forgot to quote you on that post muscliffman sprintervanman
  • Score: 3

8:52am Wed 12 Mar 14

Franks Tank says...

muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
Most drivers WILL break the speed limit given half the chance and flout any number of rules if they think they can get away with it.
A number plate, speed cameras and driver awareness schemes have never and will never change that.
So NOT A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE then.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference![/p][/quote]Most drivers WILL break the speed limit given half the chance and flout any number of rules if they think they can get away with it. A number plate, speed cameras and driver awareness schemes have never and will never change that. So NOT A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE then. Franks Tank
  • Score: 5

12:08pm Wed 12 Mar 14

suzigirl says...

muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so.
Your argument is just a weak and completely invalid way to try and divert attention from the fact that some cyclists DO indisputably break the traffic light rules of the road because they know they are virtually untouchable. Motorists running red lights are very likely to be recorded doing so and prosecuted, this NEVER happens to a cyclist because it's impossible. Motorist speeding is a totally different issue and just like (say) the offensive colour of their cars completely irrelevant to this widely acknowledged traffic light problem with cyclists - stop unsuccessfully attempting to change the subject!
Well said! The word is accountability! I am not going to say the "C" word!
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference![/p][/quote]Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so.[/p][/quote]Your argument is just a weak and completely invalid way to try and divert attention from the fact that some cyclists DO indisputably break the traffic light rules of the road because they know they are virtually untouchable. Motorists running red lights are very likely to be recorded doing so and prosecuted, this NEVER happens to a cyclist because it's impossible. Motorist speeding is a totally different issue and just like (say) the offensive colour of their cars completely irrelevant to this widely acknowledged traffic light problem with cyclists - stop unsuccessfully attempting to change the subject![/p][/quote]Well said! The word is accountability! I am not going to say the "C" word! suzigirl
  • Score: -4

12:14pm Wed 12 Mar 14

suzigirl says...

Franks Tank wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
Most drivers WILL break the speed limit given half the chance and flout any number of rules if they think they can get away with it. A number plate, speed cameras and driver awareness schemes have never and will never change that. So NOT A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE then.
Most c******s WILL ALSO go through red traffic lights and cycle on pavements if they think they can get away with it!
[quote][p][bold]Franks Tank[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference![/p][/quote]Most drivers WILL break the speed limit given half the chance and flout any number of rules if they think they can get away with it. A number plate, speed cameras and driver awareness schemes have never and will never change that. So NOT A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE then.[/p][/quote]Most c******s WILL ALSO go through red traffic lights and cycle on pavements if they think they can get away with it! suzigirl
  • Score: -5

12:16pm Wed 12 Mar 14

beachcomber1 says...

muscliffman wrote:
Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
and road vs pavement? also teach them the calendar so they know when July and August arrives.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]and road vs pavement? also teach them the calendar so they know when July and August arrives. beachcomber1
  • Score: -4

12:43pm Wed 12 Mar 14

TobyB1960 says...

Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest!
Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest! TobyB1960
  • Score: 5

1:20pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Franks Tank says...

TobyB1960 wrote:
Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest!
They think they've just been vindicated by that fatuous oaf Clarkson and his side kick James May.
Probably been an article in the Daily Mail as well.
[quote][p][bold]TobyB1960[/bold] wrote: Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest![/p][/quote]They think they've just been vindicated by that fatuous oaf Clarkson and his side kick James May. Probably been an article in the Daily Mail as well. Franks Tank
  • Score: 4

2:05pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Franks Tank says...

suzigirl wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so.
Your argument is just a weak and completely invalid way to try and divert attention from the fact that some cyclists DO indisputably break the traffic light rules of the road because they know they are virtually untouchable. Motorists running red lights are very likely to be recorded doing so and prosecuted, this NEVER happens to a cyclist because it's impossible. Motorist speeding is a totally different issue and just like (say) the offensive colour of their cars completely irrelevant to this widely acknowledged traffic light problem with cyclists - stop unsuccessfully attempting to change the subject!
Well said! The word is accountability! I am not going to say the "C" word!
Where you held "accountable" for doing 80 in a 60 zone the other day?
After all it was "only just over the limit".

Thought not.
[quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference![/p][/quote]Have you ever been over taken on a motorway when you are sat at 70 mph muscliffman.Of cause not that would never happen because that would mean a motorist would have to break the speed limit to do so.[/p][/quote]Your argument is just a weak and completely invalid way to try and divert attention from the fact that some cyclists DO indisputably break the traffic light rules of the road because they know they are virtually untouchable. Motorists running red lights are very likely to be recorded doing so and prosecuted, this NEVER happens to a cyclist because it's impossible. Motorist speeding is a totally different issue and just like (say) the offensive colour of their cars completely irrelevant to this widely acknowledged traffic light problem with cyclists - stop unsuccessfully attempting to change the subject![/p][/quote]Well said! The word is accountability! I am not going to say the "C" word![/p][/quote]Where you held "accountable" for doing 80 in a 60 zone the other day? After all it was "only just over the limit". Thought not. Franks Tank
  • Score: 2

2:16pm Wed 12 Mar 14

beachcomber1 says...

TobyB1960 wrote:
Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest!
perhaps it's just a reaction to having cycling and cyclists being promoted at every turn, the political flavour of the moment. yet nothing being done, or even seen to be attempting to be done, about the minority who flagrantly flout laws and byelaws on a regular basis, creating a nuisance and endangering pedestrians all the time.
[quote][p][bold]TobyB1960[/bold] wrote: Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest![/p][/quote]perhaps it's just a reaction to having cycling and cyclists being promoted at every turn, the political flavour of the moment. yet nothing being done, or even seen to be attempting to be done, about the minority who flagrantly flout laws and byelaws on a regular basis, creating a nuisance and endangering pedestrians all the time. beachcomber1
  • Score: -2

2:56pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Franks Tank says...

See all those kids?
In 10 years time they and their school chums will all have driving licences.
Is it not a good idea that they should be encouraged and taught the safe use of a bicycle?
Shown the advantages of another viable mode of personal transport for both recreation and shorter journeys.
What's the alternative? Well, they'll be in cars, on their commute sat in front of you at the lights and slowing YOUR journey.
Will you be happy then?
See all those kids? In 10 years time they and their school chums will all have driving licences. Is it not a good idea that they should be encouraged and taught the safe use of a bicycle? Shown the advantages of another viable mode of personal transport for both recreation and shorter journeys. What's the alternative? Well, they'll be in cars, on their commute sat in front of you at the lights and slowing YOUR journey. Will you be happy then? Franks Tank
  • Score: 3

3:34pm Wed 12 Mar 14

The-Bleeding-Obvious says...

beachcomber1 wrote:
TobyB1960 wrote:
Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest!
perhaps it's just a reaction to having cycling and cyclists being promoted at every turn, the political flavour of the moment. yet nothing being done, or even seen to be attempting to be done, about the minority who flagrantly flout laws and byelaws on a regular basis, creating a nuisance and endangering pedestrians all the time.
Its cars that endanger pedestrians and of course cyclists. Cyclists pose very little danger to pedestrians.
[quote][p][bold]beachcomber1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TobyB1960[/bold] wrote: Nice picture of kids on their bikes, in the sunshine, getting fresh air, with helmets on and high-viz jackets. But still we get the silly comments from the anti-cycling trolls about red lights, pavements etc. Give it a rest![/p][/quote]perhaps it's just a reaction to having cycling and cyclists being promoted at every turn, the political flavour of the moment. yet nothing being done, or even seen to be attempting to be done, about the minority who flagrantly flout laws and byelaws on a regular basis, creating a nuisance and endangering pedestrians all the time.[/p][/quote]Its cars that endanger pedestrians and of course cyclists. Cyclists pose very little danger to pedestrians. The-Bleeding-Obvious
  • Score: 6

5:31pm Wed 12 Mar 14

The-Bleeding-Obvious says...

suzigirl wrote:
Franks Tank wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
sprintervanman wrote:
muscliffman wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......
I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.
Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference!
Most drivers WILL break the speed limit given half the chance and flout any number of rules if they think they can get away with it. A number plate, speed cameras and driver awareness schemes have never and will never change that. So NOT A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE then.
Most c******s WILL ALSO go through red traffic lights and cycle on pavements if they think they can get away with it!
And cars kill 1800 people a year and cyclist less than one.
[quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Franks Tank[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Does this training include teaching cyclists the difference between red and green, only asking.......[/p][/quote]I guess that is a bit like asking if a Driving School teaches drivers what the difference is between 30 and 40 miles per hour is on a 30 mph road.[/p][/quote]Not at all because the car driver knows that they may well be caught and prosecuted for speeding above 30mph - so VERY BIG difference![/p][/quote]Most drivers WILL break the speed limit given half the chance and flout any number of rules if they think they can get away with it. A number plate, speed cameras and driver awareness schemes have never and will never change that. So NOT A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE then.[/p][/quote]Most c******s WILL ALSO go through red traffic lights and cycle on pavements if they think they can get away with it![/p][/quote]And cars kill 1800 people a year and cyclist less than one. The-Bleeding-Obvious
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree