Firefighters warn of dangers posed by cigarettes after Purbeck home ravaged in blaze

Bournemouth Echo: The gutted house in Wool The gutted house in Wool

A FAMILY home was ravaged in a fire started by a cigarette.

Firefighters from Wareham and Bere Regis were called to the major blaze in Wool in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

A resident at the property in Knowle Hill, Wool, was treated for smoke inhalation.

Crews remained on scene until 6am damping down.

The fire is believed to have started in an extension which was dest-royed in the blaze.

The rest of the house suffered serious smoke damage.

Firefighters are today – No Smoking Day – warning people of the dangers posed by cigarettes.

A fire and emergency support service, run by British Red Cross volunteers, also arrived at the scene to assist the five people in the house at the time.

A spokesman for Synergy Housing, which owns and manages the house, said: “We understand the fire may have started in the adj-oining outhouse and the occupants were not seriously harmed.

“However, due to smoke and structural damage, the occupants are being moved to alternative accommodation until their home is fully habitable again.

“As the incident is being investigated by the local fire service, it would be inappropriate to comment further on the cause of the fire at this time.”

Phil Head, group manager at Dorset Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We believe this fire was caused by carelessly discarded smoking materials.

“The message to all smokers, especially on No Smoking Day today, is to ensure you have fully extinguished your cigarettes or tobacco before you leave the room or are in danger of falling asleep.”

He added: “It’s also a timely message for friends, family and neighbours to look out for people who might be vulnerable – and give us a call for a free home fire safety check where we will advise you on a range of things including smoking safety.”

No Smoking Day is an annual health awareness campaign run by the British Heart Foundation.

The campaign helps smokers who want to quit by creating a supportive environment, and by highlighting the sources of help and advice available.

Visit nosmokingday.org.uk

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:39am Wed 12 Mar 14

BarrHumbug says...

Perhaps its time to bring back those Public Information Films?
Perhaps its time to bring back those Public Information Films? BarrHumbug
  • Score: -1

8:56pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Turtlebay says...

it would be inappropriate to comment further on the cause of the fire at this time.

So it may not have been started by a cigarette then!
it would be inappropriate to comment further on the cause of the fire at this time. So it may not have been started by a cigarette then! Turtlebay
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree