Methodist church set to close because £60k refurb bill is too big for small congregation

Bournemouth Echo: End of an era: methodist church set to close because £60k refurb bill is too big for small congregation End of an era: methodist church set to close because £60k refurb bill is too big for small congregation

A METHODIST church is to close after almost 90 years of worship.

East End Methodist Church in Corfe Mullen will close after its final service on Sunday, February 23, 10.30am.

The building, opened in 1927, needs extensive refurbishment which its small congregation would be unable to fund.

The Rev Gwyneth Owen, minister of Wimborne Methodist Church and superintendent minister of the Christchurch and Wimborne circuit, said the final service would celebrate all that had been achieved at the church.

“The building is in need of major refurbishment which is beyond the small number of members who we’re attracting to that church,” she said.

“There are enough people to keep the church going but not to do the refurbishment work, which is upward of £60,000.

“Nationally, the Methodist Church is encouraging us to look carefully at how we best use local resources including the number of Methodist church premises that are in relatively close proximity to each other.”

She said the church still enjoyed a host of activities including a thriving craft group which attracted non-worshippers.

The “stalwart congregation” numbered around 10-12 and often met in each others’ homes.

“I think the fellowship of the church will continue in some form and some of the stuff that the church did will still continue in Corfe Mullen,” she said.

She added: “Our Christian faith is the important thing. The bottom line is that the church, however well occupied, is the building.

“It’s the people that make up the live witness of the Christian faith.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:18pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Adrian XX says...

John Wesley will be turning in his grave.
John Wesley will be turning in his grave. Adrian XX
  • Score: -4

1:39pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Chris the plumber says...

John Wesley maybe turning in his grave but the local developers will be licking their lips with £signs in their eyes..
John Wesley maybe turning in his grave but the local developers will be licking their lips with £signs in their eyes.. Chris the plumber
  • Score: 20

1:52pm Sun 9 Feb 14

fireflier says...

When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets?
When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets? fireflier
  • Score: 18

3:10pm Sun 9 Feb 14

whataboutthat says...

Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith.
Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith. whataboutthat
  • Score: 1

3:51pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Adrian XX says...

fireflier wrote:
When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets?
Where's your evidence that they have vast savings?
[quote][p][bold]fireflier[/bold] wrote: When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets?[/p][/quote]Where's your evidence that they have vast savings? Adrian XX
  • Score: -3

4:30pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Saint Derek says...

When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets?
Where's your evidence that they have vast savings?

The church has £5billion (yes BILLION) in their pension fund!
When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets? Where's your evidence that they have vast savings? The church has £5billion (yes BILLION) in their pension fund! Saint Derek
  • Score: 0

5:00pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Talkingheadera says...

Aren't they the biggest landowners and property owners in the uk?
Aren't they the biggest landowners and property owners in the uk? Talkingheadera
  • Score: -1

5:33pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Tripod says...

Saint Derek wrote:
When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets?
Where's your evidence that they have vast savings?

The church has £5billion (yes BILLION) in their pension fund!
Methodist Church, not Church of England.
[quote][p][bold]Saint Derek[/bold] wrote: When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets? Where's your evidence that they have vast savings? The church has £5billion (yes BILLION) in their pension fund![/p][/quote]Methodist Church, not Church of England. Tripod
  • Score: 2

6:01pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Heimdall says...

How could their god possibly let this happen?
How could their god possibly let this happen? Heimdall
  • Score: 1

6:59pm Sun 9 Feb 14

matthew bell says...

Its always sad when so few people are losing their place of worship, especially when they have been going there most of their life. But it is only fair that homes should immediately be built there, at least some good can come from an all to common story of the dying faith that is Cristianity throughout the UK.
Its always sad when so few people are losing their place of worship, especially when they have been going there most of their life. But it is only fair that homes should immediately be built there, at least some good can come from an all to common story of the dying faith that is Cristianity throughout the UK. matthew bell
  • Score: 3

7:25pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Letcommonsenseprevail says...

whataboutthat wrote:
Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith.
Why public housing? This isn't 1984, comrade.
[quote][p][bold]whataboutthat[/bold] wrote: Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith.[/p][/quote]Why public housing? This isn't 1984, comrade. Letcommonsenseprevail
  • Score: -2

7:46pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Turtlebay says...

Tripod wrote:
Saint Derek wrote:
When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets?
Where's your evidence that they have vast savings?

The church has £5billion (yes BILLION) in their pension fund!
Methodist Church, not Church of England.
Not all churches are able to dip into the funds of other churches. You say the church has £5billion, but to be accurate you didn't say which church!

Church of England or the Roman Catholic Church, possibly has that much.

The Methodist church do not!
[quote][p][bold]Tripod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Saint Derek[/bold] wrote: When will these churches dip into their vast savings to look after their own buildings and assets? Where's your evidence that they have vast savings? The church has £5billion (yes BILLION) in their pension fund![/p][/quote]Methodist Church, not Church of England.[/p][/quote]Not all churches are able to dip into the funds of other churches. You say the church has £5billion, but to be accurate you didn't say which church! Church of England or the Roman Catholic Church, possibly has that much. The Methodist church do not! Turtlebay
  • Score: 5

9:09pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Ashdevra42 says...

Give it a couple of decades and the methodists will be like so many other sects of christianity that have flourished and died out. Oh well never mind!!
Give it a couple of decades and the methodists will be like so many other sects of christianity that have flourished and died out. Oh well never mind!! Ashdevra42
  • Score: -1

9:35pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Hessenford says...

Heimdall wrote:
How could their god possibly let this happen?
Because he doesn't exist, he's a myth.
[quote][p][bold]Heimdall[/bold] wrote: How could their god possibly let this happen?[/p][/quote]Because he doesn't exist, he's a myth. Hessenford
  • Score: 1

9:36pm Sun 9 Feb 14

whataboutthat says...

Letcommonsenseprevai
l
wrote:
whataboutthat wrote:
Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith.
Why public housing? This isn't 1984, comrade.
Yeah because if someone isn't gonna say it nobody will. Nobody benefits from rising house prices. Governnments - house your people and harmony will follow, tovarich!
[quote][p][bold]Letcommonsenseprevai l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whataboutthat[/bold] wrote: Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith.[/p][/quote]Why public housing? This isn't 1984, comrade.[/p][/quote]Yeah because if someone isn't gonna say it nobody will. Nobody benefits from rising house prices. Governnments - house your people and harmony will follow, tovarich! whataboutthat
  • Score: 0

9:49pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Roginthesouth says...

A great loss for the congregation after being part of 90 years worship. V
This country would benefit from a greater belief and practice of Christian attitudes, rather than selfish and materialistic culture that has developed in recent years.
A great loss for the congregation after being part of 90 years worship. V This country would benefit from a greater belief and practice of Christian attitudes, rather than selfish and materialistic culture that has developed in recent years. Roginthesouth
  • Score: 0

10:29pm Sun 9 Feb 14

tbpoole says...

Hessenford wrote:
Heimdall wrote:
How could their god possibly let this happen?
Because he doesn't exist, he's a myth.
Like you then, you only exist in my imagination?
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Heimdall[/bold] wrote: How could their god possibly let this happen?[/p][/quote]Because he doesn't exist, he's a myth.[/p][/quote]Like you then, you only exist in my imagination? tbpoole
  • Score: -1

11:18pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Heimdall says...

With all these floods, they should convert it to a Temple of Poseidon.
With all these floods, they should convert it to a Temple of Poseidon. Heimdall
  • Score: 0

12:18am Mon 10 Feb 14

Bob49 says...

Letcommonsenseprevai
l
wrote:
whataboutthat wrote:
Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith.
Why public housing? This isn't 1984, comrade.
Perhaps because most housing tends to be occupied by members of the public - and it probably isn't such a bad idea to build house with the primary function of them being somewhere where people live.
[quote][p][bold]Letcommonsenseprevai l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whataboutthat[/bold] wrote: Methodist church set to cash in on building sale. I only wish some of theother huge and largely redundant churches occupying prime residential sites in and around this county were demolished and used to build good quality public housing. This could be one of the churh's lasting legacies in age of reason over faith.[/p][/quote]Why public housing? This isn't 1984, comrade.[/p][/quote]Perhaps because most housing tends to be occupied by members of the public - and it probably isn't such a bad idea to build house with the primary function of them being somewhere where people live. Bob49
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree