Bournemouth's Pier Approach in pictures: from the Victorian era to the Imax to the present day

Bournemouth Echo: Bournemouth's Pier Approach in pictures: from the Victorian era to the Imax to the present day Bournemouth's Pier Approach in pictures: from the Victorian era to the Imax to the present day

Bournemouth's Pier Approach has seen a lot of changes over the decades.

We've tracked the highs and lows of the iconic Bournemouth viewpoint from the Victorian era to its present day - including the hated-Imax building.

All pictures show the view looking towards the Royal Bath Hotel. 

Bournemouth Echo:

The scene above was captured from a Victorian photo album, which was auctioned last year

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Pier Approach in 1875

 

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Pier Approach in 1900s

 

 

Bournemouth Echo:

A leap forward to 1934

 

Bournemouth Echo:

And another from the 1930s courtesy of Bournemouth Souvenir Guide 1939-1940.

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Pier Approach in 1950

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Postcard of Pier Approach in 1950s

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Swimming baths at Pier Approach in 1966

 

Bournemouth Echo:

View towards Pier Approach in 1975

 

Bournemouth Echo:

And in 1978

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Changing drastically in 1982

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Beginning of the Imax building in 1998

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Taking shape in 1999

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Still standing in 2010

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Demolition begins in March 2013

 

Bournemouth Echo:

This was the scene in June 2013

 

Bournemouth Echo:

Until a new open-air arena was launched at the end of June 2013

Fancy finding out some unusual facts about Bournemouth? Click here

If you have any pictures, please email them to digital@bournemouthecho.co.uk

For more information on the history of the site click here for our Imax section

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:06pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

Looked a lot better in 1934 than it does today.
Looked a lot better in 1934 than it does today. Hessenford
  • Score: 26

1:11pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Kevin_123 says...

The Bournemouth seafront is just beautiful. I am not surprised it has been used for many years. I do agree the people of the town change over the years, but not the natural beauty of the place!
The Bournemouth seafront is just beautiful. I am not surprised it has been used for many years. I do agree the people of the town change over the years, but not the natural beauty of the place! Kevin_123
  • Score: 7

1:13pm Thu 30 Jan 14

saynomore says...

The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one. saynomore
  • Score: 13

1:21pm Thu 30 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

It seems the period between the 1930's and the 1960's saw this area it at it's best - in my view anyway. And proof, as if it were needed by those of us with longer memories, that the Imax was not the first structure here to substantially block the sea view from Bath Road!

(The Baths picture captioned 1966 is incorrectly dated, it must be mid-1970's - 1986 judging by the 'pedestrianised' area modern style paving and the Pier flyover (just visible) in the background. Both the Approach roadway and the Bus Stops were still in use and intact at the point where the people are standing throughout the sixties and the flyover had not been built. The photo may in fact be immediate 1986 pre demolition of the Baths building.)
It seems the period between the 1930's and the 1960's saw this area it at it's best - in my view anyway. And proof, as if it were needed by those of us with longer memories, that the Imax was not the first structure here to substantially block the sea view from Bath Road! (The Baths picture captioned 1966 is incorrectly dated, it must be mid-1970's - 1986 judging by the 'pedestrianised' area modern style paving and the Pier flyover (just visible) in the background. Both the Approach roadway and the Bus Stops were still in use and intact at the point where the people are standing throughout the sixties and the flyover had not been built. The photo may in fact be immediate 1986 pre demolition of the Baths building.) muscliffman
  • Score: 10

1:50pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

saynomore wrote:
The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.
[quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.[/p][/quote]But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed. Hessenford
  • Score: 18

2:35pm Thu 30 Jan 14

topofall says...

50's and 60's were the heyday of this area with a policeman on point duty controlling the crossing from the gardens. Can't put the clock back unfortunately. Shows how successive councils gradually destroy everything!
50's and 60's were the heyday of this area with a policeman on point duty controlling the crossing from the gardens. Can't put the clock back unfortunately. Shows how successive councils gradually destroy everything! topofall
  • Score: 17

3:13pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Eric G says...

Block paving in 1966? Yet another typo! Who proof read this the office cat?
Block paving in 1966? Yet another typo! Who proof read this the office cat? Eric G
  • Score: 2

3:14pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Eric G says...

Erm, block paving in 1966? yet another typo! Does the office cat proof the copy?
Erm, block paving in 1966? yet another typo! Does the office cat proof the copy? Eric G
  • Score: 1

3:50pm Thu 30 Jan 14

saynomore says...

Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.
So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.[/p][/quote]But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.[/p][/quote]So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic. saynomore
  • Score: -1

4:56pm Thu 30 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

saynomore wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.
So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.
That vague 'future comprehensive redevelopment', quietly mentioned from time to time by the Council for this Pier Approach area may be the reason the Imax was truly demolished. Those folk protesting about the Imax's appearance and the 'lost' view simply proved very useful in justifying the initial £10million Council funded clearance of the site......
[quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.[/p][/quote]But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.[/p][/quote]So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.[/p][/quote]That vague 'future comprehensive redevelopment', quietly mentioned from time to time by the Council for this Pier Approach area may be the reason the Imax was truly demolished. Those folk protesting about the Imax's appearance and the 'lost' view simply proved very useful in justifying the initial £10million Council funded clearance of the site...... muscliffman
  • Score: 6

5:05pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

saynomore wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.
So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views.
[quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.[/p][/quote]But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.[/p][/quote]So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.[/p][/quote]Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views. Hessenford
  • Score: 7

5:30pm Thu 30 Jan 14

RSI says...

As you can see from the 1950's postcard there were two hotels above the Pier Approach baths where the car park is now so there never was 'a view' from Bath Road.
As you can see from the 1950's postcard there were two hotels above the Pier Approach baths where the car park is now so there never was 'a view' from Bath Road. RSI
  • Score: 2

5:53pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Ralph Horris says...

Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.
So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views.
You smell.
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.[/p][/quote]But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.[/p][/quote]So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.[/p][/quote]Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views.[/p][/quote]You smell. Ralph Horris
  • Score: -6

6:34pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Dr Strangelove says...

Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.
So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views.
If you like the 1930s look just go to any coastal town or village in Devon or Cornwall. Bournemouth is ab over developed dump now and corruption with a smile and a shake rule.
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.[/p][/quote]But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.[/p][/quote]So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.[/p][/quote]Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views.[/p][/quote]If you like the 1930s look just go to any coastal town or village in Devon or Cornwall. Bournemouth is ab over developed dump now and corruption with a smile and a shake rule. Dr Strangelove
  • Score: 8

7:15pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

Dr Strangelove wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
saynomore wrote:
The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.
But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.
So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views.
If you like the 1930s look just go to any coastal town or village in Devon or Cornwall. Bournemouth is ab over developed dump now and corruption with a smile and a shake rule.
We go to Cornwall now and again and that is the attraction of the place, mainly untouched by untrained, inept pen pushers who think they know best, they have destroyed Bournemouth over the last 40 years and it can only get worse.
[quote][p][bold]Dr Strangelove[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saynomore[/bold] wrote: The early pictures show what a nonsense the "Lost View" protests were.Specially the 1966 one.[/p][/quote]But the old baths was a lot more pleasing on the eye than the glass monstrosity that followed.[/p][/quote]So it wasn't about the "lost View" then,so why was that an excuse to demolish a perfectly good building because it didn't look nice to some people,how pathetic.[/p][/quote]Everyone is entitled to an opinion and its not pathetic, the imax was ugly and out of place, it looks much better now but has still no where near as much character as 1934, what is pathetic is people like you who resort to insults because others have different views.[/p][/quote]If you like the 1930s look just go to any coastal town or village in Devon or Cornwall. Bournemouth is ab over developed dump now and corruption with a smile and a shake rule.[/p][/quote]We go to Cornwall now and again and that is the attraction of the place, mainly untouched by untrained, inept pen pushers who think they know best, they have destroyed Bournemouth over the last 40 years and it can only get worse. Hessenford
  • Score: 6

7:23pm Thu 30 Jan 14

RSI says...

Actually, I think Bourne Mouth looked better in 1800.
Actually, I think Bourne Mouth looked better in 1800. RSI
  • Score: 7

8:48pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Richard 1976 says...

I like the 1975 picture. That's how I remember bournemouth as a very excited little boy on holiday.. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I tend to remember that in the late 70s the pier had lamps in different colours along it, and the old globe lamps down the seafront to the borough boundary were coloured too. Glorious memories.. Trampolines at durley chine, happyland and a milkshake in fortes.. I love bournemouth
I like the 1975 picture. That's how I remember bournemouth as a very excited little boy on holiday.. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I tend to remember that in the late 70s the pier had lamps in different colours along it, and the old globe lamps down the seafront to the borough boundary were coloured too. Glorious memories.. Trampolines at durley chine, happyland and a milkshake in fortes.. I love bournemouth Richard 1976
  • Score: 4

11:50pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Lord Spring says...

RSI wrote:
As you can see from the 1950's postcard there were two hotels above the Pier Approach baths where the car park is now so there never was 'a view' from Bath Road.
You are wrong there was 3 hotels Kildare, Rothesay and Lynwood but you are right there never was a view but all this fresh arrivals will not believe us.
[quote][p][bold]RSI[/bold] wrote: As you can see from the 1950's postcard there were two hotels above the Pier Approach baths where the car park is now so there never was 'a view' from Bath Road.[/p][/quote]You are wrong there was 3 hotels Kildare, Rothesay and Lynwood but you are right there never was a view but all this fresh arrivals will not believe us. Lord Spring
  • Score: 4

11:51pm Thu 30 Jan 14

The Seasider says...

There area had a lot of charm from 1900 - 1950s. Lets hope the best is yet to come!
There area had a lot of charm from 1900 - 1950s. Lets hope the best is yet to come! The Seasider
  • Score: 0

11:53pm Thu 30 Jan 14

winton50 says...

Yes indeed the 1930s were better

Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear.

Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely.

Except for rickets
and the odd war
and TB
and the crime rate
and the class system
and no antibiotics
and no national health service

but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then
Yes indeed the 1930s were better Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear. Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely. Except for rickets and the odd war and TB and the crime rate and the class system and no antibiotics and no national health service but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then winton50
  • Score: -2

9:03am Fri 31 Jan 14

Ash_69 says...

winton50 wrote:
Yes indeed the 1930s were better

Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear.

Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely.

Except for rickets
and the odd war
and TB
and the crime rate
and the class system
and no antibiotics
and no national health service

but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then
Ah but we had none of these foreigner types then and we owned half of the world by having a flag (see Eddie Izzard).

Plus there was that nice Oswald Mosley who was a lovely charming man.

And there there was the social issues. What went on behind closed doors was best kept hidden. Oh the days my father would be drunk and give us a good beating because his horse/football team/dogs had lost or it happened to be a day ending in y.

Oh happy happy days..
[quote][p][bold]winton50[/bold] wrote: Yes indeed the 1930s were better Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear. Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely. Except for rickets and the odd war and TB and the crime rate and the class system and no antibiotics and no national health service but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then[/p][/quote]Ah but we had none of these foreigner types then and we owned half of the world by having a flag (see Eddie Izzard). Plus there was that nice Oswald Mosley who was a lovely charming man. And there there was the social issues. What went on behind closed doors was best kept hidden. Oh the days my father would be drunk and give us a good beating because his horse/football team/dogs had lost or it happened to be a day ending in y. Oh happy happy days.. Ash_69
  • Score: 0

9:54am Fri 31 Jan 14

elite50 says...

winton50 wrote:
Yes indeed the 1930s were better

Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear.

Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely.

Except for rickets
and the odd war
and TB
and the crime rate
and the class system
and no antibiotics
and no national health service

but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then
The crime rate?
My sister and I were fed breakfast then left home for the day (we could not afford lunch in our house). We had to be home by 6 p.m.
We spent all day on the streets and saw just about everything that was going on.
There was no crime.
If some-one got murdered it would fill the papers for weeks.
Look at what is going on today.
The class system?
We were British, therefore the best!
Everybody knew that (nothing has changed in that respect).
The big difference is the lack of respect for, women, teachers, police and the law.
Being British meant that you might spend half of your life hungry but you were proud to be what you were.4
Where the hell did we go wrong?
[quote][p][bold]winton50[/bold] wrote: Yes indeed the 1930s were better Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear. Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely. Except for rickets and the odd war and TB and the crime rate and the class system and no antibiotics and no national health service but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then[/p][/quote]The crime rate? My sister and I were fed breakfast then left home for the day (we could not afford lunch in our house). We had to be home by 6 p.m. We spent all day on the streets and saw just about everything that was going on. There was no crime. If some-one got murdered it would fill the papers for weeks. Look at what is going on today. The class system? We were British, therefore the best! Everybody knew that (nothing has changed in that respect). The big difference is the lack of respect for, women, teachers, police and the law. Being British meant that you might spend half of your life hungry but you were proud to be what you were.4 Where the hell did we go wrong? elite50
  • Score: 3

10:14am Fri 31 Jan 14

speedy231278 says...

winton50 wrote:
Yes indeed the 1930s were better

Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear.

Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely.

Except for rickets
and the odd war
and TB
and the crime rate
and the class system
and no antibiotics
and no national health service

but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then
So apart from antibiotics, things won't be much different now then with the way our health service is being destroyed by the ConDems!
[quote][p][bold]winton50[/bold] wrote: Yes indeed the 1930s were better Summers were longer, apples tasted nicer and the policemen would send you home with a clip around the ear. Why in those days people were in and out of each other's houses, bread tasted nicer and lasted longer and everything was lovely. Except for rickets and the odd war and TB and the crime rate and the class system and no antibiotics and no national health service but apart from that EVERYTHING was better then[/p][/quote]So apart from antibiotics, things won't be much different now then with the way our health service is being destroyed by the ConDems! speedy231278
  • Score: 1

12:58pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Eddie's dog says...

Is this comments section a draft script for a Monty Python sketch?
Is this comments section a draft script for a Monty Python sketch? Eddie's dog
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree