A BOURNEMOUTH man with HIV who sexually abused a 14-year-old girl has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Shaun Dallison’s “abhorrent” crimes were uncovered in May this year after text messages from the 37-year-old were discovered on his victim’s phone, Bournemouth Crown Court was told.

The prosecution said Dallison supplied the teenager with cannabis and vodka during his four-month reign of abuse, which began in December last year.

Sadie Rizzo, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the victim, who did not contract the virus, was put at risk by Dallison’s actions.

Miss Rizzo said: “The fact that Mr Dallison is HIV positive and engaged in sexual intercourse, despite the use of condoms, I respectfully submit places her at risk.”

She told the court the teenager still had feelings for Dallison and the relationship had left her “confused and troubled”.

Referring to a statement written by the victim’s mother, Miss Rizzo said: “She is angry and worried about her daughter’s mental health as a result of this abuse. The victim in this case appears to blame herself.

“She does not feel that she is a victim.

“She says she still has feelings for the defendant. She is a very confused and troubled young lady as a result of this offending.”

Chris Gair, mitigating, said Dallison was remorseful for his actions.

“He told me he deserved to have the key thrown away,” Mr Gair told the court.

Dallison, of Argyll Road, Bournemouth, admitted five counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child and one count of supplying cannabis.

Passing sentence Judge John Hallow said: “I accept that a condom was used but the fact is she [the victim] had to suffer the risk of contracting the condition and also the indignity and anxiety of subsequent testing.”

Speaking directly to Dallison he added: “Frankly the one point in your mitigation is the fact that you made a frank admission to the police at the earliest opportunity and you pleaded guilty as soon as you could. That I accept takes courage. Not many people in your position charged with this type of abhorrent offence would have done that.”

Judge Hallow told Dallison he would have faced a 12-year prison term but due to his guilty plea his total sentence would be reduced to eight years. Dallison will serve half of his sentence in custody before being released on licence. He will also be made to sign the sex offenders’ register.