Poll reveals Poole seat to be key battleground at general election

CONTEST: The European election Poole count

CONTEST: The European election Poole count

First published in News

THE Mid Dorset and North Poole seat is likely to be a key battleground at next year’s general election, according to a poll carried out by Lord Ashcroft.

Held by the Liberal Democrats at the 2010 election with a majority of just 269 over the Conservatives, the peer is predicting from the poll results that it could fall to the Tories.

It was one of 17 marginal constituencies closely contested between the Tories and Lib Dems in which a telephone poll of 1,000 adults was carried out in May.

Across the battleground the poll found a 3.5 per cent swing from the Lib Dems to their coalition partners since the last general election.

Overall the research found the Conservative vote had fallen by eight points since 2010 but the Lib Dem share had fallen by nearly twice as much as many of the parties voters switch to Labour, Ukip or the Tories.

Annette Brooke, who has held the seat for the Liberal Democrats since 2001, is standing down in 2015 and candidate Vikki Slade, who aims to retain it for the party, pointed out the poll was taken during the European election campaign.

“However, we did win a district council seat in Lytchett Matravers on May 22 from the Conservatives so our vote is standing up well,” she said.

“We are now canvassing for a by-election in Colehill and the reception on the doorsteps is still very positive, so I am confident that we can retain this seat and continue the legacy of Annette Brooke through me for the next generation.”

Conservative prospective Parliamentary candidate Michael Tomlinson said: “We see it as winnable. The result was very, very close last time around. But we are not taking anything for granted.

“This is one poll. But it is very encouraging. We are going to have to carry on and work incredibly hard to ensure we win it.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:56pm Sun 29 Jun 14

ShuttleX says...

“However, we did win a district council seat in Lytchett Matravers on May 22 from the Conservatives so our vote is standing up well,” she said. ......

Considering the hammering the LibDems got in the last election, that statement seems a bit desperate. Sort of like saying " I lost £200, but I found a £1" The simple fact is nobody trust your party. You were so keen to have power, you sold your voters down the river, just so you could sit on the gravy train for a few years. Most voters think you are a joke, and your own voters feel betrayed. Good luck getting elected on that basis.
“However, we did win a district council seat in Lytchett Matravers on May 22 from the Conservatives so our vote is standing up well,” she said. ...... Considering the hammering the LibDems got in the last election, that statement seems a bit desperate. Sort of like saying " I lost £200, but I found a £1" The simple fact is nobody trust your party. You were so keen to have power, you sold your voters down the river, just so you could sit on the gravy train for a few years. Most voters think you are a joke, and your own voters feel betrayed. Good luck getting elected on that basis. ShuttleX
  • Score: -15

5:01pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Ebb Tide says...

It must be refreshing for the electorate of the seat being vacated by Annette Brooke to know that each of their votes matters.

So many constituencies have no need to find hard-working understanding and intelligent representatives because, unlike Mid Dorset and North Poole, they are not marginal and quality representation is obviously less important to the parties that find and support likely candidates.

Annette's service will be a very hard act to follow within a constituency that has experienced and trusted real quality representation and therefore a constituency that has high expectations of those seeking to succeed Annette.

Would that every electorate could be similarly refreshed ; turnouts across the country should then be much higher and therefore governments much more sensitive to nous and need.
It must be refreshing for the electorate of the seat being vacated by Annette Brooke to know that each of their votes matters. So many constituencies have no need to find hard-working understanding and intelligent representatives because, unlike Mid Dorset and North Poole, they are not marginal and quality representation is obviously less important to the parties that find and support likely candidates. Annette's service will be a very hard act to follow within a constituency that has experienced and trusted real quality representation and therefore a constituency that has high expectations of those seeking to succeed Annette. Would that every electorate could be similarly refreshed ; turnouts across the country should then be much higher and therefore governments much more sensitive to nous and need. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 19

5:20pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Ebb Tide says...

ShuttleX wrote:
“However, we did win a district council seat in Lytchett Matravers on May 22 from the Conservatives so our vote is standing up well,” she said. ......

Considering the hammering the LibDems got in the last election, that statement seems a bit desperate. Sort of like saying " I lost £200, but I found a £1" The simple fact is nobody trust your party. You were so keen to have power, you sold your voters down the river, just so you could sit on the gravy train for a few years. Most voters think you are a joke, and your own voters feel betrayed. Good luck getting elected on that basis.
Not sure your viewpoint is entirely correct. Ask any student (liable for tuition fees) whether it is likely that the notional fee debt is likely to be required to be repaid because there are a few restrictions on the lender demanding any refund. The meja like to misrepresent the situation so that the real effects of the actual deal cut within the coalition government is not understood by many. We may expect to hear that practical measures have been adopted to ensure that education is not necessarily a financial burden on those who cannot pay. If such is the case some politicians in the current government have acted responsibly whilst gaining experience of power - suggesting that trust in such politicians may be justified.

Also 'gravy train' and 'national interest' are two threads that need to be untangled before May next year.
[quote][p][bold]ShuttleX[/bold] wrote: “However, we did win a district council seat in Lytchett Matravers on May 22 from the Conservatives so our vote is standing up well,” she said. ...... Considering the hammering the LibDems got in the last election, that statement seems a bit desperate. Sort of like saying " I lost £200, but I found a £1" The simple fact is nobody trust your party. You were so keen to have power, you sold your voters down the river, just so you could sit on the gravy train for a few years. Most voters think you are a joke, and your own voters feel betrayed. Good luck getting elected on that basis.[/p][/quote]Not sure your viewpoint is entirely correct. Ask any student (liable for tuition fees) whether it is likely that the notional fee debt is likely to be required to be repaid because there are a few restrictions on the lender demanding any refund. The meja like to misrepresent the situation so that the real effects of the actual deal cut within the coalition government is not understood by many. We may expect to hear that practical measures have been adopted to ensure that education is not necessarily a financial burden on those who cannot pay. If such is the case some politicians in the current government have acted responsibly whilst gaining experience of power - suggesting that trust in such politicians may be justified. Also 'gravy train' and 'national interest' are two threads that need to be untangled before May next year. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Sun 29 Jun 14

pete woodley says...

A low poll would indicate that the public are fed up with politics.
A low poll would indicate that the public are fed up with politics. pete woodley
  • Score: 11

6:52pm Sun 29 Jun 14

rubberbandman5 says...

How do you keep a Lib Dem busy all day, write please turn over on both sides of a blank A4 sheet of paper ?
How do you keep a Lib Dem busy all day, write please turn over on both sides of a blank A4 sheet of paper ? rubberbandman5
  • Score: -22

6:59pm Sun 29 Jun 14

AmsterdamMan says...

Vote UKIP
Vote UKIP AmsterdamMan
  • Score: -18

8:28pm Sun 29 Jun 14

breamoreboy says...

AmsterdamMan wrote:
Vote UKIP
Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking.
[quote][p][bold]AmsterdamMan[/bold] wrote: Vote UKIP[/p][/quote]Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking. breamoreboy
  • Score: 23

10:03pm Sun 29 Jun 14

muscliffman says...

breamoreboy wrote:
AmsterdamMan wrote:
Vote UKIP
Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking.
I realise it would spoil the LibLabCon establishment headlines, but most of the disagreeable remarks - to UKIP as well as most of us - to which you refer are on record as having made when the (some now ex-UKIP) people concerned were Tory Party members, some even in elected Conservative office - so your point is?
[quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AmsterdamMan[/bold] wrote: Vote UKIP[/p][/quote]Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking.[/p][/quote]I realise it would spoil the LibLabCon establishment headlines, but most of the disagreeable remarks - to UKIP as well as most of us - to which you refer are on record as having made when the (some now ex-UKIP) people concerned were Tory Party members, some even in elected Conservative office - so your point is? muscliffman
  • Score: -30

10:12pm Sun 29 Jun 14

HRH of Boscombe says...

breamoreboy wrote:
AmsterdamMan wrote:
Vote UKIP
Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking.
All very good policies. A lot of us will be voting for them :)
[quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AmsterdamMan[/bold] wrote: Vote UKIP[/p][/quote]Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking.[/p][/quote]All very good policies. A lot of us will be voting for them :) HRH of Boscombe
  • Score: -27

11:34am Mon 30 Jun 14

muscliffman says...

rubberbandman5 wrote:
How do you keep a Lib Dem busy all day, write please turn over on both sides of a blank A4 sheet of paper ?
Alternatively print an article like this and then they spend all day repeatedly giving forum comments they don't like negative 'thumbs'. I suppose there is not much else worth doing when your favourite political party is heading for well deserved oblivion!
[quote][p][bold]rubberbandman5[/bold] wrote: How do you keep a Lib Dem busy all day, write please turn over on both sides of a blank A4 sheet of paper ?[/p][/quote]Alternatively print an article like this and then they spend all day repeatedly giving forum comments they don't like negative 'thumbs'. I suppose there is not much else worth doing when your favourite political party is heading for well deserved oblivion! muscliffman
  • Score: -10

11:39am Mon 30 Jun 14

TalkToTheTrees says...

muscliffman wrote:
breamoreboy wrote:
AmsterdamMan wrote:
Vote UKIP
Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking.
I realise it would spoil the LibLabCon establishment headlines, but most of the disagreeable remarks - to UKIP as well as most of us - to which you refer are on record as having made when the (some now ex-UKIP) people concerned were Tory Party members, some even in elected Conservative office - so your point is?
David Silvester was a Ukip councillor when he wrote to his local paper saying the prime minister had acted "arrogantly against the Gospel".

William Henwood was a candidate for Ukip in the Enfield local elections when he tweeted that Lenny Henry should emigrate to a "black country".

Roger Helmer was (and continues to be) a Ukip MEP when he said being gay is "abnormal and undesirable" and not to be "celebrated", compared equal marriage to incest and managed to distinguish between two types of rape.

All Ukip representatives at the time of sharing their wisdom. Subsequently shuffled off by an embarrassed party. 2015 will see the electorate finish the job.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AmsterdamMan[/bold] wrote: Vote UKIP[/p][/quote]Rainfall down to gay marriage, Lenny Henry to go to a black country and the revolting Roger Helmer making disgraceful comments on just about everything, you've got to be joking.[/p][/quote]I realise it would spoil the LibLabCon establishment headlines, but most of the disagreeable remarks - to UKIP as well as most of us - to which you refer are on record as having made when the (some now ex-UKIP) people concerned were Tory Party members, some even in elected Conservative office - so your point is?[/p][/quote]David Silvester was a Ukip councillor when he wrote to his local paper saying the prime minister had acted "arrogantly against the Gospel". William Henwood was a candidate for Ukip in the Enfield local elections when he tweeted that Lenny Henry should emigrate to a "black country". Roger Helmer was (and continues to be) a Ukip MEP when he said being gay is "abnormal and undesirable" and not to be "celebrated", compared equal marriage to incest and managed to distinguish between two types of rape. All Ukip representatives at the time of sharing their wisdom. Subsequently shuffled off by an embarrassed party. 2015 will see the electorate finish the job. TalkToTheTrees
  • Score: 11

4:33pm Mon 30 Jun 14

rubberbandman5 says...

I see the Dim Libs are out in force today. Why the panic!
I see the Dim Libs are out in force today. Why the panic! rubberbandman5
  • Score: -5

8:50am Tue 1 Jul 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

pete woodley wrote:
A low poll would indicate that the public are fed up with politics.
Or they have been daft enough to have been convinced that their vote doesn't really matter Pete, of course the political elite love this because it is a whole lot easier to please a minority rather than a majority. If people really want to see change in British politics then they need to vote for the only party that is offering that change. Vote anyone but UKIP is simply voting for more of the same.
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: A low poll would indicate that the public are fed up with politics.[/p][/quote]Or they have been daft enough to have been convinced that their vote doesn't really matter Pete, of course the political elite love this because it is a whole lot easier to please a minority rather than a majority. If people really want to see change in British politics then they need to vote for the only party that is offering that change. Vote anyone but UKIP is simply voting for more of the same. Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: -1

9:02am Tue 1 Jul 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

I do find it somewhat amusing reading through the attacks on UKIP, considering that UKIP are not even mentioned in the article, are these people worried about something :)

Considering recent decisions made by the Tory cabinet of Poole, I don't honestly hold out much hope for Robert Syms or Michael Tomlinson. I do however believe that the 2015 general election will be a record turnout and those who had previously given up voting will come out and vote for UKIP both locally and nationally. This is because UKIP are giving the people the opportunity to smash that Westminster bubble which separates the political elite from the electorate. Get rid of that and the politicians will start listening and working in the best interest of those who have elected them, that is certainly not the case at them moment. If UKIP do not succeed in that aim then everything will remain exactly the same as before and that is not something I would like to see, would you?
I do find it somewhat amusing reading through the attacks on UKIP, considering that UKIP are not even mentioned in the article, are these people worried about something :) Considering recent decisions made by the Tory cabinet of Poole, I don't honestly hold out much hope for Robert Syms or Michael Tomlinson. I do however believe that the 2015 general election will be a record turnout and those who had previously given up voting will come out and vote for UKIP both locally and nationally. This is because UKIP are giving the people the opportunity to smash that Westminster bubble which separates the political elite from the electorate. Get rid of that and the politicians will start listening and working in the best interest of those who have elected them, that is certainly not the case at them moment. If UKIP do not succeed in that aim then everything will remain exactly the same as before and that is not something I would like to see, would you? Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: -1

1:06pm Tue 1 Jul 14

TalkToTheTrees says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
I do find it somewhat amusing reading through the attacks on UKIP, considering that UKIP are not even mentioned in the article, are these people worried about something :)

Considering recent decisions made by the Tory cabinet of Poole, I don't honestly hold out much hope for Robert Syms or Michael Tomlinson. I do however believe that the 2015 general election will be a record turnout and those who had previously given up voting will come out and vote for UKIP both locally and nationally. This is because UKIP are giving the people the opportunity to smash that Westminster bubble which separates the political elite from the electorate. Get rid of that and the politicians will start listening and working in the best interest of those who have elected them, that is certainly not the case at them moment. If UKIP do not succeed in that aim then everything will remain exactly the same as before and that is not something I would like to see, would you?
And of course, while we are discussing Ukip representatives causing controversy, let us not forget those more local: https://storify.com/
thus_spake_z/ukip-ac
tivist-marty-caine-d
efends-edl-insults-l
ee
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: I do find it somewhat amusing reading through the attacks on UKIP, considering that UKIP are not even mentioned in the article, are these people worried about something :) Considering recent decisions made by the Tory cabinet of Poole, I don't honestly hold out much hope for Robert Syms or Michael Tomlinson. I do however believe that the 2015 general election will be a record turnout and those who had previously given up voting will come out and vote for UKIP both locally and nationally. This is because UKIP are giving the people the opportunity to smash that Westminster bubble which separates the political elite from the electorate. Get rid of that and the politicians will start listening and working in the best interest of those who have elected them, that is certainly not the case at them moment. If UKIP do not succeed in that aim then everything will remain exactly the same as before and that is not something I would like to see, would you?[/p][/quote]And of course, while we are discussing Ukip representatives causing controversy, let us not forget those more local: https://storify.com/ thus_spake_z/ukip-ac tivist-marty-caine-d efends-edl-insults-l ee TalkToTheTrees
  • Score: 4

1:51pm Tue 1 Jul 14

BigAlfromsunnyBournemouth says...

What is killing the Lib Dems is their toxic view on Europe, we need a referendum on Europe and we need it as soon as possible, the success of UKIP is purely down to their stance on Europe and their promise of a referendum, David Cameron's only hope is to commit to a referendum coincident with or prior to the next General Election.
What is killing the Lib Dems is their toxic view on Europe, we need a referendum on Europe and we need it as soon as possible, the success of UKIP is purely down to their stance on Europe and their promise of a referendum, David Cameron's only hope is to commit to a referendum coincident with or prior to the next General Election. BigAlfromsunnyBournemouth
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree