'We must protect our beautiful seafront' - MP calls for increase in sea defences after storms (From Bournemouth Echo)
When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Bournemouth MP calls for increase in sea defences after storms
7:00am Saturday 15th February 2014 in News
MP TOBIAS Ellwood has called for funds to be allocated to Bournemouth’s seafront to ‘protect the beautiful beach before it’s too late.’
The call comes after more than a month of relentless rain, floods and gales.
He said: “We need a serious debate about long-term strategic plans to make sure our beautiful seafront is protected. We have been having discussions for years but now these talks need to be brought forward.
“We must increase our sea defences so we don’t lose the beach and our biggest attraction could be ruined.”
Mr Ellwood, who represents Bournemouth East, said if this recent weather became a regular pattern, shoring up Bournemouth’s coastline was essential.
This comes days after PM David Cameron pledged that ‘money is no object’ and announcing that cash grants would be given to flood-hit households.
Responding to this, Mr Ellwood said that it was not clear yet how the money will be allocated but he had been assured Bournemouth was earmarked for the funds.
Areas affected by the River Stour and the Iford Bridge Home park could be in for relief money.
He said: “Much of the funding that we received from the Agency has been cut on top of the overall cuts to local authority.”
Comments are closed on this article.