Big Issue sales fall after council campaign against beggars

AFFECTED: Simon Chilcott, area service broker for Dorset and Hampshire at The Big Issue, left, Carly Redwood, sales and outreach worker for The Big Issue. centre, and Big Issue vendor, Aaron Curtis, right

AFFECTED: Simon Chilcott, area service broker for Dorset and Hampshire at The Big Issue, left, Carly Redwood, sales and outreach worker for The Big Issue. centre, and Big Issue vendor, Aaron Curtis, right

First published in News by

SALES of the Big Issue magazine sold by the homeless have dropped since Bournemouth council launched a campaign against beggars, said a member of staff.

Simon Chilcott, area service broker for Dorset and Hampshire at the Big Issue, said that while they fully endorsed Bournemouth council’s Your Kindness Could Kill: Begging Awareness campaign, people should not confuse ‘beggars’ with magazine vendors.

He added that sales had been hit following the campaign. He stressed the Big Issue aims to offer a meaningful alternative to begging, with the vendors buying the magazine for £1.25 and sell it to the public for £2.50.

He added: “This opportunity to start and earn their own money on their own terms is a vital first step for a person as they begin their journey away from homelessness.

“We make the public aware as much as possible to help us help them, by ensuring they buy a copy from vendors bearing valid Big Issue badges and jackets.”

Mr Chilcott said all vendors had to sign a code of conduct and there was a disciplinary procedure in place should this be seriously or continuously broken.

He added: “Please buy a copy of the Big Issue from official sellers with badges or those wearing Big Issue tabards and take what you pay for.”

Lorraine Mealings, head of strategic housing at Bournemouth Council, said: “We do not view Big Issue vendor activity as begging.

“As part of our campaign, we want to raise awareness amongst the public that by giving money direct to people who are begging, they can perpetuate the problem.

“We want to encourage people to divert their donations to established services which are focused on getting people into accommodation, support and employment.

“The begging awareness campaign will divert money into the town’s rough sleeper team, which will enhance services to help people come inside quickly.”

Comments (51)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:42am Fri 15 Aug 14

Lord Parkstone says...

Nothing to do with people wising up to the fact that alot of big issue sellers are actually frauds and part of foreign gangs scamming what was set up for genuine people?
Nothing to do with people wising up to the fact that alot of big issue sellers are actually frauds and part of foreign gangs scamming what was set up for genuine people? Lord Parkstone
  • Score: 92

7:07am Fri 15 Aug 14

bosco1 says...

Have never bought a copy since what I saw many years ago in Purley Surrey. A guy used to stand in Purley High Street, not a bad area of Surrey.He was there every day. Around 4pm I spotted him in the car park changing his clothes into a a nice suit etc, he put his old clothes in the boot of his big car. My thoughts are still the same are we feeding people who dont want to work and use us as there Bank. There may well be genuine vendors out there but how can you tell the difference.?
Have never bought a copy since what I saw many years ago in Purley Surrey. A guy used to stand in Purley High Street, not a bad area of Surrey.He was there every day. Around 4pm I spotted him in the car park changing his clothes into a a nice suit etc, he put his old clothes in the boot of his big car. My thoughts are still the same are we feeding people who dont want to work and use us as there Bank. There may well be genuine vendors out there but how can you tell the difference.? bosco1
  • Score: 58

7:20am Fri 15 Aug 14

sharkforsale says...

Ahhh, that explains why Bournemouth and Poole council don't have the time to sort out the 'traveller' situations. Too busy 'beggar bashing'. If only they had explained it, the hundreds of residents that have to put up with the 'traveller' nonsense would have understood.
Ahhh, that explains why Bournemouth and Poole council don't have the time to sort out the 'traveller' situations. Too busy 'beggar bashing'. If only they had explained it, the hundreds of residents that have to put up with the 'traveller' nonsense would have understood. sharkforsale
  • Score: 20

7:25am Fri 15 Aug 14

Baysider says...

sharkforsale wrote:
Ahhh, that explains why Bournemouth and Poole council don't have the time to sort out the 'traveller' situations. Too busy 'beggar bashing'. If only they had explained it, the hundreds of residents that have to put up with the 'traveller' nonsense would have understood.
Excellent swerve off subject to bring it back around to everyone's favourite stick to beat the council with! Ignoring the many and frequent comments on these very pages urging the local authorities to do something about the begging and street drinking in Bournemouth...
[quote][p][bold]sharkforsale[/bold] wrote: Ahhh, that explains why Bournemouth and Poole council don't have the time to sort out the 'traveller' situations. Too busy 'beggar bashing'. If only they had explained it, the hundreds of residents that have to put up with the 'traveller' nonsense would have understood.[/p][/quote]Excellent swerve off subject to bring it back around to everyone's favourite stick to beat the council with! Ignoring the many and frequent comments on these very pages urging the local authorities to do something about the begging and street drinking in Bournemouth... Baysider
  • Score: 29

7:44am Fri 15 Aug 14

flippsie says...

So they think it is ok to intimidate us,well even so to the most vulnerable including. Yes i had been intimidated and harassed yes a while ago by them and yes was reported and u gave him disciplined. But u still get intimidated by a vendor actually I avoid to get in any confrontational with them
So they think it is ok to intimidate us,well even so to the most vulnerable including. Yes i had been intimidated and harassed yes a while ago by them and yes was reported and u gave him disciplined. But u still get intimidated by a vendor actually I avoid to get in any confrontational with them flippsie
  • Score: 9

8:31am Fri 15 Aug 14

Bournemouth Ohec says...

I think that the bigger issue (no pun intended) for these vendors is the change in law regarding so called 'chuggers'.

They are restricted in what they can do and where they can now stand. For example they are prevented from standing outside shops, which may be of interest to the above poster.
I think that the bigger issue (no pun intended) for these vendors is the change in law regarding so called 'chuggers'. They are restricted in what they can do and where they can now stand. For example they are prevented from standing outside shops, which may be of interest to the above poster. Bournemouth Ohec
  • Score: 19

8:40am Fri 15 Aug 14

billy bumble says...

Why is this something the Council should have to do?

If we had bobbies on the beat they would sort out the good from the bad

Mind you on second thoughts Dorset Police wouldn't know the difference
Why is this something the Council should have to do? If we had bobbies on the beat they would sort out the good from the bad Mind you on second thoughts Dorset Police wouldn't know the difference billy bumble
  • Score: 18

8:48am Fri 15 Aug 14

spooki says...

So if I walk from Bmth Library to Beales, and I pass SEVEN Big Issue sellers, it's ok to give them money (even the one who is somehow overweight despite being homeless so sits on the bench outside Topshop)? Or the ones who comment in the shopping bags you have while you walk past? Or even the ones who blatantly use IPhones or Blackberries? Or can smoke like a chimney when I couldn't afford ciggies even if I wanted to?
Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.
So if I walk from Bmth Library to Beales, and I pass SEVEN Big Issue sellers, it's ok to give them money (even the one who is somehow overweight despite being homeless so sits on the bench outside Topshop)? Or the ones who comment in the shopping bags you have while you walk past? Or even the ones who blatantly use IPhones or Blackberries? Or can smoke like a chimney when I couldn't afford ciggies even if I wanted to? Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up. spooki
  • Score: 54

9:11am Fri 15 Aug 14

GiaStaffNurse says...

I don't think you have to be homeless to sell the big issue as a lady in Westbourne told me it was her Job and she was not homeless ! This is no way a put down from me just pointing out .
All I know is I feel better if I give one of the friendly ones Two pounds ! I never take the Mag .Just because someone might smoke doesn't mean they are well off -In fact the OPP ,. Its a shocking addiction / Just legal that's all .
I don't think you have to be homeless to sell the big issue as a lady in Westbourne told me it was her Job and she was not homeless ! This is no way a put down from me just pointing out . All I know is I feel better if I give one of the friendly ones Two pounds ! I never take the Mag .Just because someone might smoke doesn't mean they are well off -In fact the OPP ,. Its a shocking addiction / Just legal that's all . GiaStaffNurse
  • Score: 15

9:39am Fri 15 Aug 14

Controversial But True says...

Why can't the council do the same campaign against the travellers!!
Why can't the council do the same campaign against the travellers!! Controversial But True
  • Score: 12

10:03am Fri 15 Aug 14

Controversial But True says...

billy bumble wrote:
Why is this something the Council should have to do?

If we had bobbies on the beat they would sort out the good from the bad

Mind you on second thoughts Dorset Police wouldn't know the difference
With all the police cuts that this fantastic government have made, it's probably all ex-pc's flogging the Big Issue!
[quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: Why is this something the Council should have to do? If we had bobbies on the beat they would sort out the good from the bad Mind you on second thoughts Dorset Police wouldn't know the difference[/p][/quote]With all the police cuts that this fantastic government have made, it's probably all ex-pc's flogging the Big Issue! Controversial But True
  • Score: 9

10:08am Fri 15 Aug 14

Veronikapoli says...

What a lot of small minded little S*** you cowards are ,. You would have done Hitler proud .
What a lot of small minded little S*** you cowards are ,. You would have done Hitler proud . Veronikapoli
  • Score: -45

10:27am Fri 15 Aug 14

Azphreal says...

I wonder if the £2.50 price tag may have something to do with it as well.
I wonder if the £2.50 price tag may have something to do with it as well. Azphreal
  • Score: 32

10:32am Fri 15 Aug 14

user_name says...

Veronikapoli wrote:
What a lot of small minded little S*** you cowards are ,. You would have done Hitler proud .
It is not small minded to be wary and not want to be conned. It is well known that there have been gangs selling the big issue. People are sick of being ripped of and walked over, myself included, so they are understandably careful with their money. That is not cowardly. I consider petty, name calling, keyboard warriors to be cowardly.
[quote][p][bold]Veronikapoli[/bold] wrote: What a lot of small minded little S*** you cowards are ,. You would have done Hitler proud .[/p][/quote]It is not small minded to be wary and not want to be conned. It is well known that there have been gangs selling the big issue. People are sick of being ripped of and walked over, myself included, so they are understandably careful with their money. That is not cowardly. I consider petty, name calling, keyboard warriors to be cowardly. user_name
  • Score: 39

10:36am Fri 15 Aug 14

stevobath says...

spooki wrote:
So if I walk from Bmth Library to Beales, and I pass SEVEN Big Issue sellers, it's ok to give them money (even the one who is somehow overweight despite being homeless so sits on the bench outside Topshop)? Or the ones who comment in the shopping bags you have while you walk past? Or even the ones who blatantly use IPhones or Blackberries? Or can smoke like a chimney when I couldn't afford ciggies even if I wanted to?
Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.
What's being homeless & being overweight got to do with it?

You're suggesting that if you're homeless, you must be skinny?

That makes sense, Nonsense!
[quote][p][bold]spooki[/bold] wrote: So if I walk from Bmth Library to Beales, and I pass SEVEN Big Issue sellers, it's ok to give them money (even the one who is somehow overweight despite being homeless so sits on the bench outside Topshop)? Or the ones who comment in the shopping bags you have while you walk past? Or even the ones who blatantly use IPhones or Blackberries? Or can smoke like a chimney when I couldn't afford ciggies even if I wanted to? Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.[/p][/quote]What's being homeless & being overweight got to do with it? You're suggesting that if you're homeless, you must be skinny? That makes sense, Nonsense! stevobath
  • Score: -25

10:51am Fri 15 Aug 14

we-shall-see says...

I have bought mags from people I know are genuinely homeless over the years - but since the new rules for sellers came in I no longer buy the mags.

Anyone on a low income can now pop in to the Big Issue and buy up a load of mags to sell n the streets, which to me is ludicrous and moving away from the original ethos of the magazine!

There is regularly a lady dressed in sari (spelling?) with two children who stands on Ashley Road, PArkstone selling the magazine. She is not homeless and is living on benefits, so why should she be allowed to sell the magazine?

Likewise, two guys in Westbourne - neither are homeless, both living on benefits - and I would hazard a guess that none of the above are declaring their extra income to the benefit agency......

Sorry, but the whole thing is now a sham and unless I know it is helping a GENUINELY homeless person I will not buy it again.

It's time TBI sorted themselves out and helped the HOMELESS, not those scamming the benefit system!
I have bought mags from people I know are genuinely homeless over the years - but since the new rules for sellers came in I no longer buy the mags. Anyone on a low income can now pop in to the Big Issue and buy up a load of mags to sell n the streets, which to me is ludicrous and moving away from the original ethos of the magazine! There is regularly a lady dressed in sari (spelling?) with two children who stands on Ashley Road, PArkstone selling the magazine. She is not homeless and is living on benefits, so why should she be allowed to sell the magazine? Likewise, two guys in Westbourne - neither are homeless, both living on benefits - and I would hazard a guess that none of the above are declaring their extra income to the benefit agency...... Sorry, but the whole thing is now a sham and unless I know it is helping a GENUINELY homeless person I will not buy it again. It's time TBI sorted themselves out and helped the HOMELESS, not those scamming the benefit system! we-shall-see
  • Score: 40

11:03am Fri 15 Aug 14

Bob Bournemouth says...

I saw a TV programme a while back which showed that a lot (not all) Big Issue sellers do it for bosses who are raking in the money. That's why I won't buy a Big Issue. You don't know if they are genuinely in need.
I saw a TV programme a while back which showed that a lot (not all) Big Issue sellers do it for bosses who are raking in the money. That's why I won't buy a Big Issue. You don't know if they are genuinely in need. Bob Bournemouth
  • Score: 34

11:54am Fri 15 Aug 14

RM says...

billy bumble wrote:
Why is this something the Council should have to do?

If we had bobbies on the beat they would sort out the good from the bad

Mind you on second thoughts Dorset Police wouldn't know the difference
I'm sure Dorset police would do a grand job harassing little old ladies out for a bit of shopping who wouldn't answer back. That's about their limit it appears.
[quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: Why is this something the Council should have to do? If we had bobbies on the beat they would sort out the good from the bad Mind you on second thoughts Dorset Police wouldn't know the difference[/p][/quote]I'm sure Dorset police would do a grand job harassing little old ladies out for a bit of shopping who wouldn't answer back. That's about their limit it appears. RM
  • Score: 5

12:50pm Fri 15 Aug 14

DickP says...

I buy the BI because it is more often than not a very good read with more genuine investigative reporting than the daily rags. I take it on trust that the vendor is a 'genuine' lady in need and I am proud to be abiding by John Bird's famous mantra of "a hand up not a hand out" by helping her in her business venture, as I do other local traders in Poole High Street. And, unlike some who just give them some money and don't take a magazine, I try not to patronise the vendor in that way as I believe in a fair wage for a fair day's effort, and standing in the cold getting put down by the ignorant few is not something I would choose to do. If some vendors are scamming the benefits system and you know it, it is your duty to report them or you are 'an accomplice after the fact' and are also breaking the law. If you are feeling all high and mighty in your ivory tower, remember that most of us are but two paydays from poverty and if you are a single man, you won't get any housing help should you fall from grace and will probably end up on the street. Be more gentle with your fellow man and don't let the daily red tops or TV get you so angry. It is bad enough having to live with the despicable minority government we have without us turning on each other too.
I buy the BI because it is more often than not a very good read with more genuine investigative reporting than the daily rags. I take it on trust that the vendor is a 'genuine' lady in need and I am proud to be abiding by John Bird's famous mantra of "a hand up not a hand out" by helping her in her business venture, as I do other local traders in Poole High Street. And, unlike some who just give them some money and don't take a magazine, I try not to patronise the vendor in that way as I believe in a fair wage for a fair day's effort, and standing in the cold getting put down by the ignorant few is not something I would choose to do. If some vendors are scamming the benefits system and you know it, it is your duty to report them or you are 'an accomplice after the fact' and are also breaking the law. If you are feeling all high and mighty in your ivory tower, remember that most of us are but two paydays from poverty and if you are a single man, you won't get any housing help should you fall from grace and will probably end up on the street. Be more gentle with your fellow man and don't let the daily red tops or TV get you so angry. It is bad enough having to live with the despicable minority government we have without us turning on each other too. DickP
  • Score: 10

1:11pm Fri 15 Aug 14

rozmister says...

DickP wrote:
I buy the BI because it is more often than not a very good read with more genuine investigative reporting than the daily rags. I take it on trust that the vendor is a 'genuine' lady in need and I am proud to be abiding by John Bird's famous mantra of "a hand up not a hand out" by helping her in her business venture, as I do other local traders in Poole High Street. And, unlike some who just give them some money and don't take a magazine, I try not to patronise the vendor in that way as I believe in a fair wage for a fair day's effort, and standing in the cold getting put down by the ignorant few is not something I would choose to do. If some vendors are scamming the benefits system and you know it, it is your duty to report them or you are 'an accomplice after the fact' and are also breaking the law. If you are feeling all high and mighty in your ivory tower, remember that most of us are but two paydays from poverty and if you are a single man, you won't get any housing help should you fall from grace and will probably end up on the street. Be more gentle with your fellow man and don't let the daily red tops or TV get you so angry. It is bad enough having to live with the despicable minority government we have without us turning on each other too.
Housing help isn't to do with gender single childless PEOPLE will get very little, single women OR men with custody of children will be more likely to get assistance.

There are ways to claim top up benefits and housing and sell big issues that are legal, I think some people feel these loopholes should be closed so that big issues are sold by people with no other means of creating income e.g. the actual homeless.

I don't buy a big issue anymore because I can't afford to spend £2.50 on a magazine be that a big issue or a cosmopolitan. As well I live in the town centre and see numerous big issue sellers and beggars every day, I couldn't decide who is more needy and I definitely can't afford to give to them all. Instead I buy something extra in Tesco when I pop in and give it to the next person I see, I think that's fairer and it sits more comfortably with me than money.
[quote][p][bold]DickP[/bold] wrote: I buy the BI because it is more often than not a very good read with more genuine investigative reporting than the daily rags. I take it on trust that the vendor is a 'genuine' lady in need and I am proud to be abiding by John Bird's famous mantra of "a hand up not a hand out" by helping her in her business venture, as I do other local traders in Poole High Street. And, unlike some who just give them some money and don't take a magazine, I try not to patronise the vendor in that way as I believe in a fair wage for a fair day's effort, and standing in the cold getting put down by the ignorant few is not something I would choose to do. If some vendors are scamming the benefits system and you know it, it is your duty to report them or you are 'an accomplice after the fact' and are also breaking the law. If you are feeling all high and mighty in your ivory tower, remember that most of us are but two paydays from poverty and if you are a single man, you won't get any housing help should you fall from grace and will probably end up on the street. Be more gentle with your fellow man and don't let the daily red tops or TV get you so angry. It is bad enough having to live with the despicable minority government we have without us turning on each other too.[/p][/quote]Housing help isn't to do with gender single childless PEOPLE will get very little, single women OR men with custody of children will be more likely to get assistance. There are ways to claim top up benefits and housing and sell big issues that are legal, I think some people feel these loopholes should be closed so that big issues are sold by people with no other means of creating income e.g. the actual homeless. I don't buy a big issue anymore because I can't afford to spend £2.50 on a magazine be that a big issue or a cosmopolitan. As well I live in the town centre and see numerous big issue sellers and beggars every day, I couldn't decide who is more needy and I definitely can't afford to give to them all. Instead I buy something extra in Tesco when I pop in and give it to the next person I see, I think that's fairer and it sits more comfortably with me than money. rozmister
  • Score: 20

1:31pm Fri 15 Aug 14

speedy231278 says...

Most of the sellers in Bournemouth smoke and drink, and have phones, so where do their priorities lie? I have always understood that they are not permitted to tell you they are homeless, or trying to get into a night shelter, or to ask for loose change, as they are not permitted to beg. Yet, all the ones are here do just that.

As far as I am concerned, attempting to get you to buy a magazine is still begging anyway. Being self-employed to do so is not a job. Begging is defined as the coercion or imploring someone to do something for your benefit or gain for little or no reward of their own. I can't see any benefit in buying a Big Issue, I am afraid. Especially when there are local sellers who don't even stick to the nominated pitches, and the organisation rubbishes the idea of such a thing happening when you complain to them about it.
Most of the sellers in Bournemouth smoke and drink, and have phones, so where do their priorities lie? I have always understood that they are not permitted to tell you they are homeless, or trying to get into a night shelter, or to ask for loose change, as they are not permitted to beg. Yet, all the ones are here do just that. As far as I am concerned, attempting to get you to buy a magazine is still begging anyway. Being self-employed to do so is not a job. Begging is defined as the coercion or imploring someone to do something for your benefit or gain for little or no reward of their own. I can't see any benefit in buying a Big Issue, I am afraid. Especially when there are local sellers who don't even stick to the nominated pitches, and the organisation rubbishes the idea of such a thing happening when you complain to them about it. speedy231278
  • Score: 24

1:39pm Fri 15 Aug 14

GiaStaffNurse says...

There , But for the grace of God go I !!
There , But for the grace of God go I !! GiaStaffNurse
  • Score: 1

1:44pm Fri 15 Aug 14

InkZ says...

Charity muggers are worse than the beggers.
Charity muggers are worse than the beggers. InkZ
  • Score: 12

2:01pm Fri 15 Aug 14

GiaStaffNurse says...

I do so hope that most of you never need help for any reason ! Karma ,. Hard nose bigots hiding behind Anonymity . You really are low life on here these days .. Haha I notice the regulars shoot on here to get on as one of the first to set the agenda ! Sad people
I do so hope that most of you never need help for any reason ! Karma ,. Hard nose bigots hiding behind Anonymity . You really are low life on here these days .. Haha I notice the regulars shoot on here to get on as one of the first to set the agenda ! Sad people GiaStaffNurse
  • Score: -26

2:36pm Fri 15 Aug 14

pete woodley says...

Who is hiding, i always give my name, why dont you give yours.
Who is hiding, i always give my name, why dont you give yours. pete woodley
  • Score: 12

3:05pm Fri 15 Aug 14

GiaStaffNurse says...

Give your name ? Real name ? Address ? Phone number ? Anyone can write " I always give my name " Me look me up on Twitter ,.
Give your name ? Real name ? Address ? Phone number ? Anyone can write " I always give my name " Me look me up on Twitter ,. GiaStaffNurse
  • Score: -20

3:19pm Fri 15 Aug 14

FerryFan says...

I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.
I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller. FerryFan
  • Score: 14

3:24pm Fri 15 Aug 14

pete woodley says...

GiaStaffNurse wrote:
Give your name ? Real name ? Address ? Phone number ? Anyone can write " I always give my name " Me look me up on Twitter ,.
Excuses from you.pathetic reply.You are on this site NOT Twitter.
[quote][p][bold]GiaStaffNurse[/bold] wrote: Give your name ? Real name ? Address ? Phone number ? Anyone can write " I always give my name " Me look me up on Twitter ,.[/p][/quote]Excuses from you.pathetic reply.You are on this site NOT Twitter. pete woodley
  • Score: 5

3:28pm Fri 15 Aug 14

pete woodley says...

FerryFan wrote:
I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.
Had the same problem,over one "seller"
[quote][p][bold]FerryFan[/bold] wrote: I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.[/p][/quote]Had the same problem,over one "seller" pete woodley
  • Score: 9

3:30pm Fri 15 Aug 14

cynicist says...

A couple months ago I was approached on the high street by a rather large guy, who I believe said he was Moldovan. I have bought big issues in the past but didn't have any change. He told me he was hungry and homeless. I bought him a McDonalds breakfast and a coffee. He then asked if I wanted to buy the B.I. I only had around £2 change left from the food and he said that's fine and took the money. I went to take the magazine from him but then he said I didn't pay him enough. Although I will remain a charitable person, I don't think I will be supporting the Big Issue any longer.
A couple months ago I was approached on the high street by a rather large guy, who I believe said he was Moldovan. I have bought big issues in the past but didn't have any change. He told me he was hungry and homeless. I bought him a McDonalds breakfast and a coffee. He then asked if I wanted to buy the B.I. I only had around £2 change left from the food and he said that's fine and took the money. I went to take the magazine from him but then he said I didn't pay him enough. Although I will remain a charitable person, I don't think I will be supporting the Big Issue any longer. cynicist
  • Score: 12

3:32pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Bob Bournemouth says...

pete woodley wrote:
FerryFan wrote:
I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.
Had the same problem,over one "seller"
I had a comment deleted earlier too, though I'm not sure why as the lady isn't there any more.
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FerryFan[/bold] wrote: I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.[/p][/quote]Had the same problem,over one "seller"[/p][/quote]I had a comment deleted earlier too, though I'm not sure why as the lady isn't there any more. Bob Bournemouth
  • Score: 7

4:08pm Fri 15 Aug 14

FerryFan says...

Re beggars - watch out for a largish dark haired girl who stands outside phone boxes asking you if you have some change she can phone her mum. I watched someone give her some change, she then went into the phonebox, picked up the receiver, then put it down again, waited for a few seconds then came out and asked someone else. Obviously not phoning her mum, she seems to hang around with the rough sleepers.
Re beggars - watch out for a largish dark haired girl who stands outside phone boxes asking you if you have some change she can phone her mum. I watched someone give her some change, she then went into the phonebox, picked up the receiver, then put it down again, waited for a few seconds then came out and asked someone else. Obviously not phoning her mum, she seems to hang around with the rough sleepers. FerryFan
  • Score: 9

4:09pm Fri 15 Aug 14

AdamSFC says...

stevobath wrote:
spooki wrote:
So if I walk from Bmth Library to Beales, and I pass SEVEN Big Issue sellers, it's ok to give them money (even the one who is somehow overweight despite being homeless so sits on the bench outside Topshop)? Or the ones who comment in the shopping bags you have while you walk past? Or even the ones who blatantly use IPhones or Blackberries? Or can smoke like a chimney when I couldn't afford ciggies even if I wanted to?
Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.
What's being homeless & being overweight got to do with it?

You're suggesting that if you're homeless, you must be skinny?

That makes sense, Nonsense!
People on this site like their beggars to look like beggars dammit! Either way, a simple explanation might be that the person hasn't been homeless for long, with the government's austerity measures I imagine there are a lot of homeless who have only recently become so. I'm sure they'll slim down to the appropriate size soon.
[quote][p][bold]stevobath[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]spooki[/bold] wrote: So if I walk from Bmth Library to Beales, and I pass SEVEN Big Issue sellers, it's ok to give them money (even the one who is somehow overweight despite being homeless so sits on the bench outside Topshop)? Or the ones who comment in the shopping bags you have while you walk past? Or even the ones who blatantly use IPhones or Blackberries? Or can smoke like a chimney when I couldn't afford ciggies even if I wanted to? Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.[/p][/quote]What's being homeless & being overweight got to do with it? You're suggesting that if you're homeless, you must be skinny? That makes sense, Nonsense![/p][/quote]People on this site like their beggars to look like beggars dammit! Either way, a simple explanation might be that the person hasn't been homeless for long, with the government's austerity measures I imagine there are a lot of homeless who have only recently become so. I'm sure they'll slim down to the appropriate size soon. AdamSFC
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Fri 15 Aug 14

AdamSFC says...

Veronikapoli wrote:
What a lot of small minded little S*** you cowards are ,. You would have done Hitler proud .
I've seen people on this site advocate forced sterilisation, gassing people, extrajudicial executions, and the removal of entire ethnic groups. However don't call any of them fascist, it hurts their feelings.
[quote][p][bold]Veronikapoli[/bold] wrote: What a lot of small minded little S*** you cowards are ,. You would have done Hitler proud .[/p][/quote]I've seen people on this site advocate forced sterilisation, gassing people, extrajudicial executions, and the removal of entire ethnic groups. However don't call any of them fascist, it hurts their feelings. AdamSFC
  • Score: -4

4:44pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nigel Blumenthal says...

pete woodley wrote:
FerryFan wrote:
I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.
Had the same problem,over one "seller"
I personally have always found the regular BI sellers to be friendly and polite, even if (especially if) you say, no thanks. That must be part of their training and the ethos of BI as set up, although to judge from some comments here, it's not always that way these days; things seem a lot more lax on the training front, and if it's true that virtually anyone can go in and get a stack of BIs and sell them, that's bad.

However, another side of the ethos is probably what is making it more difficult for BI sellers. The idea is that you are supposed to pay for the magazine, and take one. As one other commenter here pointed out, it's often a good read, with lots of investigative stories over the course of the year. But it's on the expensive side. I don't always want to pay out 2.50; I'd rather give a couple of real homeless people a pound or so each, and in any case they only get to keep 1.25 per sale anyway. Some weeks, I'd rather give them the cash. But they're not allowed to take it. I understand about "a hand up, not a hand out", but it doesn't always work.
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FerryFan[/bold] wrote: I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.[/p][/quote]Had the same problem,over one "seller"[/p][/quote]I personally have always found the regular BI sellers to be friendly and polite, even if (especially if) you say, no thanks. That must be part of their training and the ethos of BI as set up, although to judge from some comments here, it's not always that way these days; things seem a lot more lax on the training front, and if it's true that virtually anyone can go in and get a stack of BIs and sell them, that's bad. However, another side of the ethos is probably what is making it more difficult for BI sellers. The idea is that you are supposed to pay for the magazine, and take one. As one other commenter here pointed out, it's often a good read, with lots of investigative stories over the course of the year. But it's on the expensive side. I don't always want to pay out 2.50; I'd rather give a couple of real homeless people a pound or so each, and in any case they only get to keep 1.25 per sale anyway. Some weeks, I'd rather give them the cash. But they're not allowed to take it. I understand about "a hand up, not a hand out", but it doesn't always work. Nigel Blumenthal
  • Score: 2

4:51pm Fri 15 Aug 14

scouserinbmth says...

GiaStaffNurse wrote:
Give your name ? Real name ? Address ? Phone number ? Anyone can write " I always give my name " Me look me up on Twitter ,.
what a p***k you are
[quote][p][bold]GiaStaffNurse[/bold] wrote: Give your name ? Real name ? Address ? Phone number ? Anyone can write " I always give my name " Me look me up on Twitter ,.[/p][/quote]what a p***k you are scouserinbmth
  • Score: 8

5:06pm Fri 15 Aug 14

FerryFan says...

Nigel Blumenthal wrote:
pete woodley wrote:
FerryFan wrote:
I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.
Had the same problem,over one "seller"
I personally have always found the regular BI sellers to be friendly and polite, even if (especially if) you say, no thanks. That must be part of their training and the ethos of BI as set up, although to judge from some comments here, it's not always that way these days; things seem a lot more lax on the training front, and if it's true that virtually anyone can go in and get a stack of BIs and sell them, that's bad.

However, another side of the ethos is probably what is making it more difficult for BI sellers. The idea is that you are supposed to pay for the magazine, and take one. As one other commenter here pointed out, it's often a good read, with lots of investigative stories over the course of the year. But it's on the expensive side. I don't always want to pay out 2.50; I'd rather give a couple of real homeless people a pound or so each, and in any case they only get to keep 1.25 per sale anyway. Some weeks, I'd rather give them the cash. But they're not allowed to take it. I understand about "a hand up, not a hand out", but it doesn't always work.
I have bought copies in the past and read some left in cafes, never appealed to me. I'd rather see the magazine sold at outlets anyway, and money raised goes into helping the homeless through training and education. Up and down the country unfortunately, Big Issue sellers are seen more of as a scourge rather than people needing a help up, and although there are plenty of decent sellers about, the bad apples ruin it for them.

The chap I mentioned earlier that the post got deleted, I was stood outside Boots and as he walked past his dog pooped by the taxi rank, he did not clear up after it. Cabbies stood watching as well. Police seem to be quite chatty with him, quite matey. I have seen sellers later in the evening p***ed up with the beer they've bought, and their personalities are totally different, this is what I find most grating, in their cases the magazine just provides beer money, and I don't like to support their drink issues.
[quote][p][bold]Nigel Blumenthal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FerryFan[/bold] wrote: I seeca comment of mine got deleted earlier on for pointing out a particular seller who has, in my opinion, a few personality issues, which I still stand by. I never buy the magazine simply because it has nothing in it that interests me, and I think it is too highly priced for what it is. And even if I did I wouldn't buy it off this herbert, he was abusive to me for no reason, butt apparently it has caused offence on here. So whoever reported it, let's hope one day you don't meet a rude seller.[/p][/quote]Had the same problem,over one "seller"[/p][/quote]I personally have always found the regular BI sellers to be friendly and polite, even if (especially if) you say, no thanks. That must be part of their training and the ethos of BI as set up, although to judge from some comments here, it's not always that way these days; things seem a lot more lax on the training front, and if it's true that virtually anyone can go in and get a stack of BIs and sell them, that's bad. However, another side of the ethos is probably what is making it more difficult for BI sellers. The idea is that you are supposed to pay for the magazine, and take one. As one other commenter here pointed out, it's often a good read, with lots of investigative stories over the course of the year. But it's on the expensive side. I don't always want to pay out 2.50; I'd rather give a couple of real homeless people a pound or so each, and in any case they only get to keep 1.25 per sale anyway. Some weeks, I'd rather give them the cash. But they're not allowed to take it. I understand about "a hand up, not a hand out", but it doesn't always work.[/p][/quote]I have bought copies in the past and read some left in cafes, never appealed to me. I'd rather see the magazine sold at outlets anyway, and money raised goes into helping the homeless through training and education. Up and down the country unfortunately, Big Issue sellers are seen more of as a scourge rather than people needing a help up, and although there are plenty of decent sellers about, the bad apples ruin it for them. The chap I mentioned earlier that the post got deleted, I was stood outside Boots and as he walked past his dog pooped by the taxi rank, he did not clear up after it. Cabbies stood watching as well. Police seem to be quite chatty with him, quite matey. I have seen sellers later in the evening p***ed up with the beer they've bought, and their personalities are totally different, this is what I find most grating, in their cases the magazine just provides beer money, and I don't like to support their drink issues. FerryFan
  • Score: 9

5:25pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Wackerone says...

The lady outside Iceland in Westbourne lives in a council house! On TV a couple of months ago talking about down sizing from a 3 bedroom to a 2. That's not homelessness, it's a job. Hope she pays tax.
The lady outside Iceland in Westbourne lives in a council house! On TV a couple of months ago talking about down sizing from a 3 bedroom to a 2. That's not homelessness, it's a job. Hope she pays tax. Wackerone
  • Score: 18

6:08pm Fri 15 Aug 14

davecook says...

I have no problem with Big Issue sellers if they are genuinely trying to help with the problem of homelessness in our country. However, when there seems to be endless foreigners who are selling the Big Issue, I do have a problem. Surely these people are part of the problem, not the solution.
I have no problem with Big Issue sellers if they are genuinely trying to help with the problem of homelessness in our country. However, when there seems to be endless foreigners who are selling the Big Issue, I do have a problem. Surely these people are part of the problem, not the solution. davecook
  • Score: 14

6:30pm Fri 15 Aug 14

GiaStaffNurse says...

I don't suppose anyone realises how many people have a mental illness .. Not the lowlife on here for a start ,. But I suspect the people that need to queue on here as soon a new story is put up are in need ,. Dave And Nick would be so proud of you writing your bitter little letters :-)
I don't suppose anyone realises how many people have a mental illness .. Not the lowlife on here for a start ,. But I suspect the people that need to queue on here as soon a new story is put up are in need ,. Dave And Nick would be so proud of you writing your bitter little letters :-) GiaStaffNurse
  • Score: -15

6:39pm Fri 15 Aug 14

the.mike says...

I worked in the town centre for seven or so years until recently. It was still the same faces who would try to shoplift and be seen with a big issue badge later selling the mag. Quite often they would be sharing badges. A lot of the time they were intimidating towards the public and would wander all over the street and not stay on their painted spots. Some of them would be visibly drunk, or worse, whilst selling. It just spoiled it for the real needy who were genuinely trying to get off the streets.
As for Bournemouth council waging a campaign against the beggars I would like to point out that London have had these posters up for year now and a friend of mine who worked with the homeless in many shelters in London for years told me back in the '80's.
"if they ask for a pound for a sandwich then take them and buy them a sandwich never give them money."
Sage advice.
I worked in the town centre for seven or so years until recently. It was still the same faces who would try to shoplift and be seen with a big issue badge later selling the mag. Quite often they would be sharing badges. A lot of the time they were intimidating towards the public and would wander all over the street and not stay on their painted spots. Some of them would be visibly drunk, or worse, whilst selling. It just spoiled it for the real needy who were genuinely trying to get off the streets. As for Bournemouth council waging a campaign against the beggars I would like to point out that London have had these posters up for year now and a friend of mine who worked with the homeless in many shelters in London for years told me back in the '80's. "if they ask for a pound for a sandwich then take them and buy them a sandwich never give them money." Sage advice. the.mike
  • Score: 10

6:45pm Fri 15 Aug 14

jaffajoe says...

Have a look at the 'badge' of some BI sellers in the Bournemouth/Poole area.....I've seen badges on Bi sellers issued in Southampton, Eastleigh and Winchester... So why are they not in their own area selling?
Have a look at the 'badge' of some BI sellers in the Bournemouth/Poole area.....I've seen badges on Bi sellers issued in Southampton, Eastleigh and Winchester... So why are they not in their own area selling? jaffajoe
  • Score: 8

7:03pm Fri 15 Aug 14

GiaStaffNurse says...

This paper and articles are not for decent people ,. You are cowards and bullies who I bet shiver in the real world ,.Goodbye
This paper and articles are not for decent people ,. You are cowards and bullies who I bet shiver in the real world ,.Goodbye GiaStaffNurse
  • Score: -19

2:02am Sat 16 Aug 14

MrPitiful says...

So apparently, sales are down.

A note to the Big Issue shop on Poole Hill & those who sell the magazine locally - here are my reasons for no longer buying it, which I believe are similar to those of many others:

1 - Too expensive - £2.50 a pop is too much nowadays. I know it's not a lot of money in the big scheme of things but it is still £2.50. If the content of the magazine was better, then maybe.

2 - I don't appreciate the tone, manner and behaviour of some of the sellers. Some are aggressive and some are downright rude. I don't like being shoued down if I walk past without buying and I certainly don't like being confronted by a seller or followed half way across the square. To be honest, where I come from, that sort of behaviour warrants a smack on the jaw but hey-ho etc.

3 - I wouldn't part with my hard-earned to any of the sellers in town at the minute anyway as because as somebody else pointe dout, walk down town of an evening and you see them half-plastered, abusive and whatever else. I would be the first to offer help and admire anyone who is trying to better themselves but I am also the last to support someone's beer, fag and drug fund. When they are like this then they are nothing but a blot on the town and the cash they get from flogging the magazine is nothing but a fuel for the problem.

So just to reiterate, theose are my 3 simple reasons for not buying the mag. Nothing to do with whatever agenda the council may or may not have.

And one last thing, if the sellers are encouraged to disperse away from the Poole Hill area of a morning after they have picked up their magazines then that would be a help. Having to dodge little groups of them necking beer and shouting and swearing at 830am when I'm trying to get my young daughter to school isn't doing their reputation as genuine needy people any good at all.
So apparently, sales are down. A note to the Big Issue shop on Poole Hill & those who sell the magazine locally - here are my reasons for no longer buying it, which I believe are similar to those of many others: 1 - Too expensive - £2.50 a pop is too much nowadays. I know it's not a lot of money in the big scheme of things but it is still £2.50. If the content of the magazine was better, then maybe. 2 - I don't appreciate the tone, manner and behaviour of some of the sellers. Some are aggressive and some are downright rude. I don't like being shoued down if I walk past without buying and I certainly don't like being confronted by a seller or followed half way across the square. To be honest, where I come from, that sort of behaviour warrants a smack on the jaw but hey-ho etc. 3 - I wouldn't part with my hard-earned to any of the sellers in town at the minute anyway as because as somebody else pointe dout, walk down town of an evening and you see them half-plastered, abusive and whatever else. I would be the first to offer help and admire anyone who is trying to better themselves but I am also the last to support someone's beer, fag and drug fund. When they are like this then they are nothing but a blot on the town and the cash they get from flogging the magazine is nothing but a fuel for the problem. So just to reiterate, theose are my 3 simple reasons for not buying the mag. Nothing to do with whatever agenda the council may or may not have. And one last thing, if the sellers are encouraged to disperse away from the Poole Hill area of a morning after they have picked up their magazines then that would be a help. Having to dodge little groups of them necking beer and shouting and swearing at 830am when I'm trying to get my young daughter to school isn't doing their reputation as genuine needy people any good at all. MrPitiful
  • Score: 14

9:27am Sat 16 Aug 14

Fingersonthem says...

GiaStaffNurse wrote:
This paper and articles are not for decent people ,. You are cowards and bullies who I bet shiver in the real world ,.Goodbye
Goodbye

That's a relief .

Please don't reply be as good as your word.
[quote][p][bold]GiaStaffNurse[/bold] wrote: This paper and articles are not for decent people ,. You are cowards and bullies who I bet shiver in the real world ,.Goodbye[/p][/quote]Goodbye That's a relief . Please don't reply be as good as your word. Fingersonthem
  • Score: 8

4:57pm Sat 16 Aug 14

ShuttleX says...

SALES of the Big Issue magazine sold by the homeless......... And therein lies the rub. Most Big Issue sellers are not homeless. They treat this as a full time job, making quite a few pounds out of it. In fact the BI had to change the wording on the front of the magazine to state that it's not just sold by homeless persons. One of the ones who sells in Boscombe (but lives near Tuckton) has a flat (paid for by Housing Benefit) Is classed as disabled ( but rides a bike to Bournemouth then Boscombe) Get's DLA at the high rate for Mobility, and the middle rate for Care. Has a Carer, who also sells the BI and who also claims Income Support/Housing Benefit/Council Tax from the State. The BI office know about this as it was I who informed them, but as expected, nothing was done. I have also informed the relevant Government/Council departments, and I'm still waiting to see what they do about it. According to the DWP, all monies made from selling the BI class as income and will effect their benefits. If somebody is genuine, then helping them is one thing, but as most of them just scam the system, I give nothing to any of them and would urge everybody else to do the same. It's your money though, so make up you own minds as to whether or not the sellers are making more money than you are.
SALES of the Big Issue magazine sold by the homeless......... And therein lies the rub. Most Big Issue sellers are not homeless. They treat this as a full time job, making quite a few pounds out of it. In fact the BI had to change the wording on the front of the magazine to state that it's not just sold by homeless persons. One of the ones who sells in Boscombe (but lives near Tuckton) has a flat (paid for by Housing Benefit) Is classed as disabled ( but rides a bike to Bournemouth then Boscombe) Get's DLA at the high rate for Mobility, and the middle rate for Care. Has a Carer, who also sells the BI and who also claims Income Support/Housing Benefit/Council Tax from the State. The BI office know about this as it was I who informed them, but as expected, nothing was done. I have also informed the relevant Government/Council departments, and I'm still waiting to see what they do about it. According to the DWP, all monies made from selling the BI class as income and will effect their benefits. If somebody is genuine, then helping them is one thing, but as most of them just scam the system, I give nothing to any of them and would urge everybody else to do the same. It's your money though, so make up you own minds as to whether or not the sellers are making more money than you are. ShuttleX
  • Score: 4

6:44pm Sat 16 Aug 14

pete woodley says...

ShuttleX wrote:
SALES of the Big Issue magazine sold by the homeless......... And therein lies the rub. Most Big Issue sellers are not homeless. They treat this as a full time job, making quite a few pounds out of it. In fact the BI had to change the wording on the front of the magazine to state that it's not just sold by homeless persons. One of the ones who sells in Boscombe (but lives near Tuckton) has a flat (paid for by Housing Benefit) Is classed as disabled ( but rides a bike to Bournemouth then Boscombe) Get's DLA at the high rate for Mobility, and the middle rate for Care. Has a Carer, who also sells the BI and who also claims Income Support/Housing Benefit/Council Tax from the State. The BI office know about this as it was I who informed them, but as expected, nothing was done. I have also informed the relevant Government/Council departments, and I'm still waiting to see what they do about it. According to the DWP, all monies made from selling the BI class as income and will effect their benefits. If somebody is genuine, then helping them is one thing, but as most of them just scam the system, I give nothing to any of them and would urge everybody else to do the same. It's your money though, so make up you own minds as to whether or not the sellers are making more money than you are.
Please tell us more,why should they get away with it.
[quote][p][bold]ShuttleX[/bold] wrote: SALES of the Big Issue magazine sold by the homeless......... And therein lies the rub. Most Big Issue sellers are not homeless. They treat this as a full time job, making quite a few pounds out of it. In fact the BI had to change the wording on the front of the magazine to state that it's not just sold by homeless persons. One of the ones who sells in Boscombe (but lives near Tuckton) has a flat (paid for by Housing Benefit) Is classed as disabled ( but rides a bike to Bournemouth then Boscombe) Get's DLA at the high rate for Mobility, and the middle rate for Care. Has a Carer, who also sells the BI and who also claims Income Support/Housing Benefit/Council Tax from the State. The BI office know about this as it was I who informed them, but as expected, nothing was done. I have also informed the relevant Government/Council departments, and I'm still waiting to see what they do about it. According to the DWP, all monies made from selling the BI class as income and will effect their benefits. If somebody is genuine, then helping them is one thing, but as most of them just scam the system, I give nothing to any of them and would urge everybody else to do the same. It's your money though, so make up you own minds as to whether or not the sellers are making more money than you are.[/p][/quote]Please tell us more,why should they get away with it. pete woodley
  • Score: 3

7:16pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Wackerone says...

I notice that my comment reference a certain lady who lives in a council house and sells the big issue in a shop doorway has been removed.
I notice that my comment reference a certain lady who lives in a council house and sells the big issue in a shop doorway has been removed. Wackerone
  • Score: 3

12:13pm Sun 17 Aug 14

A Poyet says...

The Council are asking members of the public to send text donations instead of giving money on the streets to beggars. Big Issue vendors are not begging - they are selling a product. There's a very clear distinction that the people of Bournemouth clearly understand.

Reportedly the campaign launched because a good deal of those asking for money on the streets are not actually homeless and if they make money then they are likely to stay out on the streets and continue to beg. This new text route works as an alternative to this I suppose, with a view to reducing begging.

I have been in contact with Shelter directly about this campaign and their advice was….

'At present we can only advise you do what you feel comfortable with and and make the personal choice on whether to donate throught these channels.'

I take this as a great comfort because Shelter - a charity that works to alleviate homelessness - clearly have no problem with the principal of the campaign.

I actually think it's a bright idea and will take comfort in knowing my donation will go towards assisting those in Bournemouth that are genuinely homeless.
The Council are asking members of the public to send text donations instead of giving money on the streets to beggars. Big Issue vendors are not begging - they are selling a product. There's a very clear distinction that the people of Bournemouth clearly understand. Reportedly the campaign launched because a good deal of those asking for money on the streets are not actually homeless and if they make money then they are likely to stay out on the streets and continue to beg. This new text route works as an alternative to this I suppose, with a view to reducing begging. I have been in contact with Shelter directly about this campaign and their advice was…. 'At present we can only advise you do what you feel comfortable with and and make the personal choice on whether to donate throught these channels.' I take this as a great comfort because Shelter - a charity that works to alleviate homelessness - clearly have no problem with the principal of the campaign. I actually think it's a bright idea and will take comfort in knowing my donation will go towards assisting those in Bournemouth that are genuinely homeless. A Poyet
  • Score: 1

12:34pm Sun 17 Aug 14

RM says...

GiaStaffNurse wrote:
There , But for the grace of God go I !!
I do buy TBI but my regular vendor told me that selling it now is much harder as there are organised Romanian gangs who buy up massive amounts of TBI & he has often arrived at his usual pitch just as a Merc drives up & out steps a Romanian with a pile of the mags, s/he starts selling & the Merc drives away to drop off the next seller. Very contrary to the original spirit of TBI IMO.
[quote][p][bold]GiaStaffNurse[/bold] wrote: There , But for the grace of God go I !![/p][/quote]I do buy TBI but my regular vendor told me that selling it now is much harder as there are organised Romanian gangs who buy up massive amounts of TBI & he has often arrived at his usual pitch just as a Merc drives up & out steps a Romanian with a pile of the mags, s/he starts selling & the Merc drives away to drop off the next seller. Very contrary to the original spirit of TBI IMO. RM
  • Score: 3

4:12pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Avengerboy says...

I don't buy them any more as they have been taken over by Romanians.
I don't buy them any more as they have been taken over by Romanians. Avengerboy
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree