Warning to cat owners after pet dies from antifreeze poisoning

Warning to cat owners after pet dies from antifreeze poisoning

Warning to cat owners after pet dies from antifreeze poisoning

First published in News
Last updated
by

THE RSPCA is warning pet owners of the dangers of anti-freeze after a cat died in Bournemouth.

Silver-haired tabby Tiggy, disappeared from his home in Viscount Walk, Bournemouth earlier this month.

Sadly he was found collapsed two days later and died.

A vet has confirmed Tiggy was poisoned by antifreeze although it has not yet been confirmed if it was due to a deliberate act of cruelty.

Now the RSPCA is warning other cat owners of the dangers of antifreeze poisoning.

“It is possible that some people are simply unaware of the potential hazards to animals when they pour antifreeze away or store it incorrectly,” said RSPCA inspector Jo Story.

“Similarly we cannot rule out that this was a deliberate act of cruelty and would ask anyone who has information to this effect to contact us immediately. Whatever the circumstances we want to warn all cat owners of the dangers of antifreeze poisoning,” she added.

The RSPCA is urging people who think their cat has been poisoned to take it to a vet immediately and if possible, take a sample of what the cat has eaten or drunk.

The maximum penalty for someone found guilty of poisoning a cat could be up to six months imprisonment or a fine of up to £20,000.

Anyone with information about the incident are urged to contact 0300 123 8018.

Antifreeze poisoning: know the signs

Signs of antifreeze poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

Symptoms include

  • Vomiting
  • Seeming depressed or sleepy
  • Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
  • Seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:21pm Fri 15 Aug 14

BIGTONE says...

A vet has confirmed Tiggy was poisoned by antifreeze although it has not yet been confirmed if it was due to a deliberate act of cruelty......


Are cats attracted to Anti freeze and freely drink it then?
A vet has confirmed Tiggy was poisoned by antifreeze although it has not yet been confirmed if it was due to a deliberate act of cruelty...... Are cats attracted to Anti freeze and freely drink it then? BIGTONE
  • Score: 1

4:59pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Peroni says...

BIGTONE wrote:
A vet has confirmed Tiggy was poisoned by antifreeze although it has not yet been confirmed if it was due to a deliberate act of cruelty......


Are cats attracted to Anti freeze and freely drink it then?
It tastes very sweet........ Spanish wine maker put it in wine few years ago and got busted for it
[quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: A vet has confirmed Tiggy was poisoned by antifreeze although it has not yet been confirmed if it was due to a deliberate act of cruelty...... Are cats attracted to Anti freeze and freely drink it then?[/p][/quote]It tastes very sweet........ Spanish wine maker put it in wine few years ago and got busted for it Peroni
  • Score: 1

8:36pm Fri 15 Aug 14

fizzy fert says...

Cats love antifreeze
saw one yesterday walking out of Halfords
with a 2 litre can tucked under his arm
at XCHURCH.
Cats love antifreeze saw one yesterday walking out of Halfords with a 2 litre can tucked under his arm at XCHURCH. fizzy fert
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree