PEOPLE living in the New Forest are being told that they don’t have to put up with anti-social behaviour in their neighbourhood.

Residents are being urged to report such behaviour whenever they experience it following a string of problems.

Various incidents involving youths drinking alcohol, shouting abuse, smashing windows and car wing mirrors and throwing stones, particularly at Ringwood and Dibden Purlieu, have been reported.

Cllr Jill Cleary, New Forest District Council portfolio holder for housing and communities, said: “You don’t have to suffer intimidation or nuisance in silence. There are people ready to listen to your concerns.

“If you or your family are suffering from anti-social behaviour, do something about it. Call the police on 101, then notify your landlord or the council’s environmental health officers – whichever is appropriate.”

Hampshire Constabulary Commander for the New Forest, Chief Inspector Simon Tribe, reminded residents that the New Forest Safer Neighbourhood Teams carry out regular street patrols, but urged residents to take the first step to resolve such incidents.

He added: “Antisocial behaviour and acts of criminal damage are very upsetting to residents and should not be tolerated.

“The police are vigilant but we need your help to alert us to problems in your neighbourhood – call us on 101 to report nuisance in your neighbourhood – or 999 if it is an emergency.”

In addition to reporting anti-social behaviour on 101, residents can contact NFDC’s environmental health or housing helplines, phone Safer New Forest or talk to an officer at a neighbourhood beat surgery.

Find out more at or phone Stephanie Bennett on 023 8028 5588, email stephanie