'It's only a matter of time before someone is killed' - lawyer calling for ban over Chinese lanterns

Bournemouth Echo: 'It's only a matter of time before someone is killed' - lawyer calling for ban over Chinese lanterns 'It's only a matter of time before someone is killed' - lawyer calling for ban over Chinese lanterns

A LAWYER from Bournemouth is at the forefront of a national campaign calling for a ban on Chinese lanterns.

The National Outdoor Events Association (NOEA) is calling for a complete ban on sky lanterns branding them dangerous to the public, livestock and buildings.

Philip Day, from Bournemouth, who is vice chair and legal advisor of NOEA, said the organisation is seeking a parliamentary debate in the hope of bringing about a change in the law.

“Fortunately there hasn’t been a fatality yet but it’s only a matter of time,” he said.

“They are very pretty and very attractive but we think the risk of them is unacceptable. If you are on Bournemouth seafront and you have got a nice wind blowing offshore it’s highly unlikely it’s going to land on a boat or yacht, it’s most likely to end up in the sea, but you have got to think about these things particularly in rural areas.”

Mr Day of Horsey Lightly Fynn, added: “It’s only a matter of time before someone gets sued for releasing one of these lanterns.

“As so many are sent off by private individuals at events like wedding receptions and birthday parties, it is unlikely that any insurance policy they might have would cover them for such a claim.”

Launched at the Royal Bath and West agricultural show at the weekend the campaign is now being rolled out nationally.

Susan Tanner, NOEA’s chief executive said: “In essence balls of fire are being sent into the air uncontrolled and unmonitored causing damage to animals and property.

“Ultimately there is a risk to human life; we have already seen firefighters injured while tackling a blaze caused by a lantern.”

Richard Limb, NOEA’s president, added: “They may not set something on fire but little bits of wire may end up in silage and the consequences for livestock can be dire.

“We are asking people to follow a voluntary ban while we gather the evidence to support an outright ban; at the moment much of the evidence is anecdotal.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:22am Fri 6 Jun 14

nobull says...

Ban everything and be safe (and boring) xx
Ban everything and be safe (and boring) xx nobull
  • Score: -21

10:27am Fri 6 Jun 14

BIGTONE says...

Do the same with fireworks then......and gas lighters.....and matches.....and.....
.......
Do the same with fireworks then......and gas lighters.....and matches.....and..... ....... BIGTONE
  • Score: -16

12:26pm Fri 6 Jun 14

scrumpyjack says...

As nice to look at as they are and they are a bit of fun there is no getting away from the fact they are dangerous

http://www.dailymail
.co.uk/news/article-
1327957/Mother-calls
-Chinese-lantern-ban
-son-scalded-molten-
wax.html

http://www.thefreeli
brary.com/My+Chinese
+lantern+hell%3B+Woo
dland+worker+joins+c
all+for+ban+after...
-a0312835958

http://www.telegraph
.co.uk/earth/earthne
ws/8628686/Latest-fi
re-caused-by-Chinese
-sky-lanterns-increa
ses-calls-for-a-ban.
html

http://www.mirror.co
.uk/news/uk-news/sme
thwick-fire-call-ban
-20p-2014928

http://www.independe
nt.co.uk/news/uk/hom
e-news/chinese-lante
rn-believed-to-have-
started-huge-fire-at
-midlands-recycling-
plant-near-birmingha
m-8680992.html

http://www.rspca.org
.uk/allaboutanimals/
helpandadvice/litter
/chineselanterns

And on and on the stories go...
As nice to look at as they are and they are a bit of fun there is no getting away from the fact they are dangerous http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 1327957/Mother-calls -Chinese-lantern-ban -son-scalded-molten- wax.html http://www.thefreeli brary.com/My+Chinese +lantern+hell%3B+Woo dland+worker+joins+c all+for+ban+after... -a0312835958 http://www.telegraph .co.uk/earth/earthne ws/8628686/Latest-fi re-caused-by-Chinese -sky-lanterns-increa ses-calls-for-a-ban. html http://www.mirror.co .uk/news/uk-news/sme thwick-fire-call-ban -20p-2014928 http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/uk/hom e-news/chinese-lante rn-believed-to-have- started-huge-fire-at -midlands-recycling- plant-near-birmingha m-8680992.html http://www.rspca.org .uk/allaboutanimals/ helpandadvice/litter /chineselanterns And on and on the stories go... scrumpyjack
  • Score: 17

12:39pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Hessenford says...

scrumpyjack wrote:
As nice to look at as they are and they are a bit of fun there is no getting away from the fact they are dangerous

http://www.dailymail

.co.uk/news/article-

1327957/Mother-calls

-Chinese-lantern-ban

-son-scalded-molten-

wax.html

http://www.thefreeli

brary.com/My+Chinese

+lantern+hell%3B+Woo

dland+worker+joins+c

all+for+ban+after...

-a0312835958

http://www.telegraph

.co.uk/earth/earthne

ws/8628686/Latest-fi

re-caused-by-Chinese

-sky-lanterns-increa

ses-calls-for-a-ban.

html

http://www.mirror.co

.uk/news/uk-news/sme

thwick-fire-call-ban

-20p-2014928

http://www.independe

nt.co.uk/news/uk/hom

e-news/chinese-lante

rn-believed-to-have-

started-huge-fire-at

-midlands-recycling-

plant-near-birmingha

m-8680992.html

http://www.rspca.org

.uk/allaboutanimals/

helpandadvice/litter

/chineselanterns

And on and on the stories go...
So are fire works, Chinese lanterns have a simple flame while fireworks are explosives.
If we banned everything because we thought they were dangerous life would be very boring.
[quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: As nice to look at as they are and they are a bit of fun there is no getting away from the fact they are dangerous http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 1327957/Mother-calls -Chinese-lantern-ban -son-scalded-molten- wax.html http://www.thefreeli brary.com/My+Chinese +lantern+hell%3B+Woo dland+worker+joins+c all+for+ban+after... -a0312835958 http://www.telegraph .co.uk/earth/earthne ws/8628686/Latest-fi re-caused-by-Chinese -sky-lanterns-increa ses-calls-for-a-ban. html http://www.mirror.co .uk/news/uk-news/sme thwick-fire-call-ban -20p-2014928 http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/uk/hom e-news/chinese-lante rn-believed-to-have- started-huge-fire-at -midlands-recycling- plant-near-birmingha m-8680992.html http://www.rspca.org .uk/allaboutanimals/ helpandadvice/litter /chineselanterns And on and on the stories go...[/p][/quote]So are fire works, Chinese lanterns have a simple flame while fireworks are explosives. If we banned everything because we thought they were dangerous life would be very boring. Hessenford
  • Score: -16

1:14pm Fri 6 Jun 14

scrumpyjack says...

Hessenford wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
As nice to look at as they are and they are a bit of fun there is no getting away from the fact they are dangerous

http://www.dailymail


.co.uk/news/article-


1327957/Mother-calls


-Chinese-lantern-ban


-son-scalded-molten-


wax.html

http://www.thefreeli


brary.com/My+Chinese


+lantern+hell%3B+Woo


dland+worker+joins+c


all+for+ban+after...


-a0312835958

http://www.telegraph


.co.uk/earth/earthne


ws/8628686/Latest-fi


re-caused-by-Chinese


-sky-lanterns-increa


ses-calls-for-a-ban.


html

http://www.mirror.co


.uk/news/uk-news/sme


thwick-fire-call-ban


-20p-2014928

http://www.independe


nt.co.uk/news/uk/hom


e-news/chinese-lante


rn-believed-to-have-


started-huge-fire-at


-midlands-recycling-


plant-near-birmingha


m-8680992.html

http://www.rspca.org


.uk/allaboutanimals/


helpandadvice/litter


/chineselanterns

And on and on the stories go...
So are fire works, Chinese lanterns have a simple flame while fireworks are explosives.
If we banned everything because we thought they were dangerous life would be very boring.
Fireworks don't float off for miles for 30 mins or more to god knows where.
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: As nice to look at as they are and they are a bit of fun there is no getting away from the fact they are dangerous http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 1327957/Mother-calls -Chinese-lantern-ban -son-scalded-molten- wax.html http://www.thefreeli brary.com/My+Chinese +lantern+hell%3B+Woo dland+worker+joins+c all+for+ban+after... -a0312835958 http://www.telegraph .co.uk/earth/earthne ws/8628686/Latest-fi re-caused-by-Chinese -sky-lanterns-increa ses-calls-for-a-ban. html http://www.mirror.co .uk/news/uk-news/sme thwick-fire-call-ban -20p-2014928 http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/uk/hom e-news/chinese-lante rn-believed-to-have- started-huge-fire-at -midlands-recycling- plant-near-birmingha m-8680992.html http://www.rspca.org .uk/allaboutanimals/ helpandadvice/litter /chineselanterns And on and on the stories go...[/p][/quote]So are fire works, Chinese lanterns have a simple flame while fireworks are explosives. If we banned everything because we thought they were dangerous life would be very boring.[/p][/quote]Fireworks don't float off for miles for 30 mins or more to god knows where. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 24

1:35pm Fri 6 Jun 14

PokesdownMark says...

If this November half the households in the country let off five or six Chinese laterns instead of fireworks, the differences would become readily apparent!
If this November half the households in the country let off five or six Chinese laterns instead of fireworks, the differences would become readily apparent! PokesdownMark
  • Score: 23

4:14pm Fri 6 Jun 14

KitKatPuss says...

http://www.rspca.org
.uk/allaboutanimals/
helpandadvice/litter
/chineselanterns
http://www.rspca.org .uk/allaboutanimals/ helpandadvice/litter /chineselanterns KitKatPuss
  • Score: -1

4:14pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

It's only a matter of time before they call for a ban on barbecue charcoal as being 80% carbon it contributes to global warming.

I've got 2 tons stored in the shed just incase.
It's only a matter of time before they call for a ban on barbecue charcoal as being 80% carbon it contributes to global warming. I've got 2 tons stored in the shed just incase. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: -8

6:16pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Phixer says...

PokesdownMark wrote:
If this November half the households in the country let off five or six Chinese laterns instead of fireworks, the differences would become readily apparent!
Quiet isn't it?
[quote][p][bold]PokesdownMark[/bold] wrote: If this November half the households in the country let off five or six Chinese laterns instead of fireworks, the differences would become readily apparent![/p][/quote]Quiet isn't it? Phixer
  • Score: -3

6:17pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Phixer says...

It's only a matter of time before someone in the world dies
It's only a matter of time before someone in the world dies [about one every milli-second] Phixer
  • Score: -4

7:48pm Fri 6 Jun 14

ianmcrv@gmail.com says...

It's only a matter of time before someone will try to ban something that others love.

Sky lanterns are now being made 100% bio degradable with bamboo instead of wire so that argument has been more or less quashed but these busybodies will try to find other excuses to ban them.
It's only a matter of time before someone will try to ban something that others love. Sky lanterns are now being made 100% bio degradable with bamboo instead of wire so that argument has been more or less quashed but these busybodies will try to find other excuses to ban them. ianmcrv@gmail.com
  • Score: -6

8:26pm Fri 6 Jun 14

sjt100 says...

Eh? Ive used the biodegradable ones with no candle or wire in that have a short burn time. Dont see how they can be bad especially if used out in a field away from civilisation. I think they can be dangerous if used near the coast as can be misconstrued as flares and lighthouses by sea going vessels but I don't think a ban on them is necessary. Perhaps just an age limit for buying them like there is for fireworks?
Eh? Ive used the biodegradable ones with no candle or wire in that have a short burn time. Dont see how they can be bad especially if used out in a field away from civilisation. I think they can be dangerous if used near the coast as can be misconstrued as flares and lighthouses by sea going vessels but I don't think a ban on them is necessary. Perhaps just an age limit for buying them like there is for fireworks? sjt100
  • Score: -6

9:19pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

If you bought one of these then threw it on the ground in Christchurch high street you'd get a £50 fine for littering.

It's the same offence just because you light it and it comes down a few miles away. It's still littering.
If you bought one of these then threw it on the ground in Christchurch high street you'd get a £50 fine for littering. It's the same offence just because you light it and it comes down a few miles away. It's still littering. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 2

9:32pm Fri 6 Jun 14

ianmcrv@gmail.com says...

Many of these arguments can be quoted against fireworks.

Sky lanterns on a still summer's evening are magical for everyone who sees them, apart from you it would seem.

I'd say that if this was a democracy and everyone was allowed to vote as to whether to ban sky lanterns because they are dangerous then I'd be surprised if the vote wasn't around 98 or 99 percent for not banning them.

By your reasoning fireworks are also littering so should we ban them while we're at it?

It is true, someone may die because of a sky lantern and that is a real shame but would you also ban fireworks because people do die or get injured/maimed by fireworks.

Would you ban bicycles because people do die because they cycle, would you ban cars and motorcycles? Boats?
What about banning aircraft because they do crash and people die.

Perhaps a rule of thumb would be that if anyone enjoys anything then that thing should be banned.
Many of these arguments can be quoted against fireworks. Sky lanterns on a still summer's evening are magical for everyone who sees them, apart from you it would seem. I'd say that if this was a democracy and everyone was allowed to vote as to whether to ban sky lanterns because they are dangerous then I'd be surprised if the vote wasn't around 98 or 99 percent for not banning them. By your reasoning fireworks are also littering so should we ban them while we're at it? It is true, someone may die because of a sky lantern and that is a real shame but would you also ban fireworks because people do die or get injured/maimed by fireworks. Would you ban bicycles because people do die because they cycle, would you ban cars and motorcycles? Boats? What about banning aircraft because they do crash and people die. Perhaps a rule of thumb would be that if anyone enjoys anything then that thing should be banned. ianmcrv@gmail.com
  • Score: -4

11:26pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Bob49 says...

Or a better rule might be that just because someone enjoys something it does not automatically make it right.

The firework analogy is also nonsense as accidents that are caused are invariably by misuse, as with bikes etc

The same is not true of these mini fires. It is not misuse, uty the very nature of their action that causes the risk.

Sadly they are nothing more than symptom of the me, me, me society ...... and farque everyone else.
Or a better rule might be that just because someone enjoys something it does not automatically make it right. The firework analogy is also nonsense as accidents that are caused are invariably by misuse, as with bikes etc The same is not true of these mini fires. It is not misuse, uty the very nature of their action that causes the risk. Sadly they are nothing more than symptom of the me, me, me society ...... and farque everyone else. Bob49
  • Score: 6

11:29pm Fri 6 Jun 14

ianmcrv@gmail.com says...

Would you say that more fires are caused by sky lanterns than are caused by fireworks?
Would you say that more fires are caused by sky lanterns than are caused by fireworks? ianmcrv@gmail.com
  • Score: -4

12:32am Sat 7 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

It does seem that the echo have a thing for Chinese stories at the moment. Dodgy takeaways, missing women and now lanterns.

Next week, Chairman Mao found up a tree in Meyrick Park.
It does seem that the echo have a thing for Chinese stories at the moment. Dodgy takeaways, missing women and now lanterns. Next week, Chairman Mao found up a tree in Meyrick Park. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: -1

10:20am Sat 7 Jun 14

scrumpyjack says...

ianmcrv@gmail.com wrote:
Many of these arguments can be quoted against fireworks.

Sky lanterns on a still summer's evening are magical for everyone who sees them, apart from you it would seem.

I'd say that if this was a democracy and everyone was allowed to vote as to whether to ban sky lanterns because they are dangerous then I'd be surprised if the vote wasn't around 98 or 99 percent for not banning them.

By your reasoning fireworks are also littering so should we ban them while we're at it?

It is true, someone may die because of a sky lantern and that is a real shame but would you also ban fireworks because people do die or get injured/maimed by fireworks.

Would you ban bicycles because people do die because they cycle, would you ban cars and motorcycles? Boats?
What about banning aircraft because they do crash and people die.

Perhaps a rule of thumb would be that if anyone enjoys anything then that thing should be banned.
WTF???

Get over yourself drama queen.
[quote][p][bold]ianmcrv@gmail.com[/bold] wrote: Many of these arguments can be quoted against fireworks. Sky lanterns on a still summer's evening are magical for everyone who sees them, apart from you it would seem. I'd say that if this was a democracy and everyone was allowed to vote as to whether to ban sky lanterns because they are dangerous then I'd be surprised if the vote wasn't around 98 or 99 percent for not banning them. By your reasoning fireworks are also littering so should we ban them while we're at it? It is true, someone may die because of a sky lantern and that is a real shame but would you also ban fireworks because people do die or get injured/maimed by fireworks. Would you ban bicycles because people do die because they cycle, would you ban cars and motorcycles? Boats? What about banning aircraft because they do crash and people die. Perhaps a rule of thumb would be that if anyone enjoys anything then that thing should be banned.[/p][/quote]WTF??? Get over yourself drama queen. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 2

1:02pm Sat 7 Jun 14

GeorgeW64 says...

They generally burn out long before they land, the man is just another meddling idiot who wants a nanny state.
They generally burn out long before they land, the man is just another meddling idiot who wants a nanny state. GeorgeW64
  • Score: -3

1:39pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Bob49 says...

The "generally" burn out, so plenty do not. And what is the consequence ?

Well here's another one from last night

http://www.edp24.co.
uk/news/chinese_lant
ern_causes_blaze_the
_size_of_a_tennis_co
urt_in_waxham_1_3633
309
The "generally" burn out, so plenty do not. And what is the consequence ? Well here's another one from last night http://www.edp24.co. uk/news/chinese_lant ern_causes_blaze_the _size_of_a_tennis_co urt_in_waxham_1_3633 309 Bob49
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree