A POLICE investigation has been launched after a man was found lying in the road in Bournemouth town centre with serious head injuries.

Officers were called to Glen Fern Road in Bournemouth at 4.30am on Saturday morning by a member of the public.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said a 21-year-old man from Essex had been found injured in the street and taken to hospital.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said the circumstances of the incident were being investigated by police and no information has yet been released about how the man came to be injured.

On Saturday afternoon, they released a statement saying officers were still trying to establish how the man 'came about his injuries'. 

Yesterday, a spokesperson said the man remained in a stable condition in Southampton General Hospital.

His condition would continue to be monitored over the next few days, he added. 

The road was closed until Saturday afternoon to allow officers to examine the scene.

As well as a cordon manned by uniformed officers from St Peter’s Road to Glen Fern Road, two forensic officers spent hours examining two specific sites at the scene.

Bournemouth Echo:

Investigations focused on the road, where the man was found, as well as in woodland and undergrowth next to the road.

Around eight or nine evidence markers were placed on Glen Fern Road where blood was visible on the tarmac.

One forensic officer was also seen examining a piece of paper on the road, with another carrying out work at the entrance Gate Top Court in St Peter’s Road.

It is understood the premises, between Jazzy B’s takeaway and Plush club, are used for student accommodation.

Markers were placed on the door frame, with pictures also taken outside and inside.

One police officer was seen speaking to a woman at the rear entrance to Cameo nightclub in Glen Fern Road.

When the Daily Echo approached the woman at the entrance, she declined to comment.

Officers were also seen talking to students who live in The Outlook student accommodation for Bournemouth Business School International in Glen Fern Road.

Bournemouth Echo:

One student said they heard shouting in the morning.

Another, Naoko Shimaoka, added: “I was sleeping and around 4am – maybe 4.30am – I woke up because of the abnormal noise.

“It was music and shouting – but it was suddenly very loud – not the normal noise.”

Tanita Matthews, who works at the Norwegian Wood coffee house in Glen Fern Road, said she was shocked to see the police activity when she arrived at work this morning.

“It is quite unusual for around here. You don’t tend to see the police around this road that much.

“The cordon was up first thing; I thought it might have been related to the fire on Friday at the student block initially.

“It’s not great for Bournemouth's reputation. I hope the man will be okay.”

Ali Rad, who saw the cordon from the hand car wash in Glen Fern Road said: “A lot of the customers have been asking what’s going on.

“It’s terrible. I just arrived this morning and saw all the police.”

Bournemouth Echo:

Josephine Jackson, 73, from Bournemouth said: “I am still shocked when I see this in Bournemouth. It’s terrible. Maybe I am naive but we love Bournemouth and came here eight or nine years ago and everybody was so friendly.

“I don’t whether it’s happening more now or people are more aware of incidents; I think people are probably more aware of the problem. It’s just sad.

“It’s somebody’s son or brother - I hope he will be okay.”

Bus services were also being re-directed.

Witnesses are asked to contact Dorset Police on 101.