A MAN was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire at a property with no smoke alarm.

Dorset Fire and Rescue were called to a bungalow in Stalbridge just after 9.30pm last night after a chip pan fire spread to the cooker extractor hood.

Crews from Sturminster Newton gave the man first aid until paramedics arrived and took him to hospital.

Crews used two hose reel jets and breathing apparatus sets to tackle the blaze, which caused fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

A spokesman for DFR said the man was lucky and that the fire could have been worse due to the absence of a smoke alarm.