Barclays: Too soon to say what impact job cuts could have in Poole

Bournemouth Echo: Barclays House in Poole Barclays House in Poole

BARCLAYS says it is too soon to say what impact its latest round of job cuts could have locally.

The bank, which employs more than 1,000 people at Barclays House in Poole, revealed it would cut 7,000 jobs from its investment banking division by 2016.

It had already announced 12,000 job losses across the group for this year, but that figure has been increased as a result of the investment bank changes – bringing the total cuts by 2016 to 19,000.

The announcement came two days after Barclays announced that first quarter earnings from the division fell by half, meaning profits at the group slid by five per cent.

About a third of the investment bank job cuts – more than 2,000 – will be in the UK.

The strategy review, described by chief executive Antony Jenkins as a ''bold simplification'' of Barclays, will also see it hive off its European retail banking business into a so-called ''bad bank'', comprising £115 billion of ''non-core'' assets.

A spokesperson for Barclays in the South West said: “It’s too soon to say what impact there will be in the region or locally.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:12pm Thu 8 May 14

jumptoit says...

If they know that 19000 jobs are to go, they must have identified just where these losses are to come from, so to say they do not know what the impact will be locally doesn't ring true.
If they know that 19000 jobs are to go, they must have identified just where these losses are to come from, so to say they do not know what the impact will be locally doesn't ring true. jumptoit
  • Score: 5

3:00pm Thu 8 May 14

John T says...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years.
Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years. Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government. John T
  • Score: -3

3:03pm Thu 8 May 14

John T says...

P.S. I await all the thumbs down signals to my above comment from all those busy bankers working so stressfully on their keyboards.
P.S. I await all the thumbs down signals to my above comment from all those busy bankers working so stressfully on their keyboards. John T
  • Score: 1

3:13pm Thu 8 May 14

Victor_Meldrew_Lives! says...

As sure as night follows day Barclays announces a new round of job losses.

There are no 'greedy bankers' in Poole as it is an administrative centre with back office staff.
As sure as night follows day Barclays announces a new round of job losses. There are no 'greedy bankers' in Poole as it is an administrative centre with back office staff. Victor_Meldrew_Lives!
  • Score: 12

4:06pm Thu 8 May 14

Bob Bournemouth says...

John T wrote:
P.S. I await all the thumbs down signals to my above comment from all those busy bankers working so stressfully on their keyboards.
The trouble is, it isn't the branch staff that get huge bonuses (if at all) and they do work very hard. It's all the hierarchy that get silly money for what they do.
[quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: P.S. I await all the thumbs down signals to my above comment from all those busy bankers working so stressfully on their keyboards.[/p][/quote]The trouble is, it isn't the branch staff that get huge bonuses (if at all) and they do work very hard. It's all the hierarchy that get silly money for what they do. Bob Bournemouth
  • Score: 5

7:34pm Thu 8 May 14

trolley says...

John T wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years.
Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.
you sir are an idiot
thanks for your concern about my job,
i like many others did not receive a bonus working at the poole office and do in fact, like the majority of staff earn less than the minimum wage. we are none the wiser about if we are affected by these cuts
[quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years. Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.[/p][/quote]you sir are an idiot thanks for your concern about my job, i like many others did not receive a bonus working at the poole office and do in fact, like the majority of staff earn less than the minimum wage. we are none the wiser about if we are affected by these cuts trolley
  • Score: 2

9:26pm Thu 8 May 14

trolley says...

John T wrote:
trolley wrote:
John T wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years.
Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.
you sir are an idiot
thanks for your concern about my job,
i like many others did not receive a bonus working at the poole office and do in fact, like the majority of staff earn less than the minimum wage. we are none the wiser about if we are affected by these cuts
Impolite idiots like you don't deserve to keep your jobs. You might, however, find yourself a job in the Uncivil Service.
I have not noticed much concern from bank staff for other's jobs that have been lost, or the misery caused, by their banking masters this last 6 years.
Whilst considering a change of career, you might also consider changing your user name to 'off my trolley'!!
i would love to consider a change of career, but i expect you have probably noticed for those of us over 40 there are not many option so we have to cling to what we have.
you say you have noticed much concern from bank staff??could you maybe not generalise so much???love your ignorant uninformed opinions.you don,t know me, stop generalising and forming opinions based on the daily mail.
moronic oaf
[quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]trolley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years. Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.[/p][/quote]you sir are an idiot thanks for your concern about my job, i like many others did not receive a bonus working at the poole office and do in fact, like the majority of staff earn less than the minimum wage. we are none the wiser about if we are affected by these cuts[/p][/quote]Impolite idiots like you don't deserve to keep your jobs. You might, however, find yourself a job in the Uncivil Service. I have not noticed much concern from bank staff for other's jobs that have been lost, or the misery caused, by their banking masters this last 6 years. Whilst considering a change of career, you might also consider changing your user name to 'off my trolley'!![/p][/quote]i would love to consider a change of career, but i expect you have probably noticed for those of us over 40 there are not many option so we have to cling to what we have. you say you have noticed much concern from bank staff??could you maybe not generalise so much???love your ignorant uninformed opinions.you don,t know me, stop generalising and forming opinions based on the daily mail. moronic oaf trolley
  • Score: 0

10:49pm Thu 8 May 14

Adrian XX says...

How many of you banker-bashers still have bank accounts? You should all perhaps consider a building society account instead.
How many of you banker-bashers still have bank accounts? You should all perhaps consider a building society account instead. Adrian XX
  • Score: -3

12:31am Fri 9 May 14

twynhamob says...

Come on John T & Trolley, keep it going, you could even make a short movie called "Two Blinkered Fools", we could all do with a good laugh.
Come on John T & Trolley, keep it going, you could even make a short movie called "Two Blinkered Fools", we could all do with a good laugh. twynhamob
  • Score: -3

9:17am Fri 9 May 14

scrumpyjack says...

John T wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years.
Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.
You don;t have a clue.

If you think 19000 will all be top bankers earning big salaries and big bonuses.

Not a clue.
[quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years. Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.[/p][/quote]You don;t have a clue. If you think 19000 will all be top bankers earning big salaries and big bonuses. Not a clue. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 2

9:21am Fri 9 May 14

scrumpyjack says...

John T wrote:
trolley wrote:
John T wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years.
Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.
you sir are an idiot
thanks for your concern about my job,
i like many others did not receive a bonus working at the poole office and do in fact, like the majority of staff earn less than the minimum wage. we are none the wiser about if we are affected by these cuts
Impolite idiots like you don't deserve to keep your jobs. You might, however, find yourself a job in the Uncivil Service.
I have not noticed much concern from bank staff for other's jobs that have been lost, or the misery caused, by their banking masters this last 6 years.
Whilst considering a change of career, you might also consider changing your user name to 'off my trolley'!!
What a tossy reply.
[quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]trolley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was because of 'bad banks' that this country went into recession, and the rest of us, other than bankers, have suffered for the last 6 years. Glad to see at least some of these 'bankers' will now get their comeuppance, and, no doubt, their ,Golden Goodbye bonuses,' even if it is from their employer, and not from the Government.[/p][/quote]you sir are an idiot thanks for your concern about my job, i like many others did not receive a bonus working at the poole office and do in fact, like the majority of staff earn less than the minimum wage. we are none the wiser about if we are affected by these cuts[/p][/quote]Impolite idiots like you don't deserve to keep your jobs. You might, however, find yourself a job in the Uncivil Service. I have not noticed much concern from bank staff for other's jobs that have been lost, or the misery caused, by their banking masters this last 6 years. Whilst considering a change of career, you might also consider changing your user name to 'off my trolley'!![/p][/quote]What a tossy reply. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree