Multi-million pound Pavilion cinema and restaurant plans set to be scrapped over lack of funds

FUNDING CRUNCH: A computer generated image of the proposed Nautilus leisure scheme

FUNDING CRUNCH: A computer generated image of the proposed Nautilus leisure scheme

First published in News
Last updated
by

MULTI-million pound plans for a cinema and restaurant complex next to Bournemouth's Pavilion Theatre are set to be scrapped after the developer failed to secure funding.

Bournemouth council has pulled the plug on Trevor Osborne’s £50m Pavilion Gardens scheme – which has been in the pipeline for more than six years – as it did not believe there was a realistic chance it would be built.

The council’s decision follows the news that cinema giant Odeon had pulled out of a deal to move into the Pavilion Gardens development and signed an agreement with the rival West Central scheme instead.

The decision to end the contract with Mr Osborne will be scrutinised by councillors at a meeting next Thursday.

If they agree with the decision, Mr Osborne will have to pay a £1.35m initial premium to Bournemouth council. He was unavailable for comment.

The Pavilion Gardens scheme, formerly known as Nautilus, had planning permission and an arrangement with Bournemouth council that would have seen the council sell the existing surface car park to Osborne (Bournemouth) Ltd and then rent it back for up to 75 years.

It had been hoped building work would start next month and that the nine-screen cinema and 14 restaurants would eventually create 300 new jobs.

However, his contract with Bournemouth council ended on December 31 and the council said they now wanted to consider other options for the site.

It may be the council will now include the site in their “Town Centre Master Vision” and give development partner Morgan Sindall the task of redeveloping the site, but there has been no confirmation of that.

The decision is a boost for the West Central developers Licet. They now have planning permission, funding and tenants in place for their cinema and restaurant scheme on the NCP car park in Exeter Road but the council is attempting to compulsorily purchase the site.

Roger Ball, Bournemouth council’s service director for environment and regeneration services, said: “We are disappointed that the Trevor Osborne Property Group has failed to secure funding for the proposed Pavilion Gardens development within the timescales specified in the Development Agreement.”

Nigel Hedges, inset, the chair of Bournemouth Town Centre Management Board, said: “I wish Trevor Osborne had been able to make the scheme happen.

“It’s unforgiveable that such a prime site sits there empty.”

Comments (53)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:56am Mon 13 Jan 14

High Treason says...

Others with forward vision were able to see it was a massive white elephant with no chance of a return on their investment. I expect it will end up as student flats.
Others with forward vision were able to see it was a massive white elephant with no chance of a return on their investment. I expect it will end up as student flats. High Treason
  • Score: 24

6:57am Mon 13 Jan 14

sarahinpoole says...

Good! We already have restaurants and cinemas in Bournemouth. Building a huge complex for more would leave the existing businesses sites empty, be as disastrous as the IMAX and of course a huge eyesore. The councils priority should be sorting out a decent bus hub, the Square is always chaos!
Good! We already have restaurants and cinemas in Bournemouth. Building a huge complex for more would leave the existing businesses sites empty, be as disastrous as the IMAX and of course a huge eyesore. The councils priority should be sorting out a decent bus hub, the Square is always chaos! sarahinpoole
  • Score: 34

7:19am Mon 13 Jan 14

jobsworthwatch says...

Not needed!
Money should only be spent on preserving/restoring what we've already got (not the surf reef) and putting right the 3 holes in the ground.
Not needed! Money should only be spent on preserving/restoring what we've already got (not the surf reef) and putting right the 3 holes in the ground. jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 36

7:42am Mon 13 Jan 14

the_baron1 says...

Quote: Roger Ball, Bournemouth council’s service director for environment and regeneration services, said: “We are disappointed that the Trevor Osborne Property Group has failed to secure funding for the proposed Pavilion Gardens development within the timescales specified in the Development Agreement.” unquote.

Disappointed my a**e!!!

Funny that their developement partner Morgan Sindall have now been given the task of developing the site. Wonder what they have planned to go there!
Quote: Roger Ball, Bournemouth council’s service director for environment and regeneration services, said: “We are disappointed that the Trevor Osborne Property Group has failed to secure funding for the proposed Pavilion Gardens development within the timescales specified in the Development Agreement.” unquote. Disappointed my a**e!!! Funny that their developement partner Morgan Sindall have now been given the task of developing the site. Wonder what they have planned to go there! the_baron1
  • Score: 14

8:04am Mon 13 Jan 14

Lord Spring says...

Just the spot for a profitable ice rink yards away from the old Westover Ice Rink that would make all happy.
Just the spot for a profitable ice rink yards away from the old Westover Ice Rink that would make all happy. Lord Spring
  • Score: 37

8:14am Mon 13 Jan 14

djd says...

Well, that is a surprise..........NO
T!!
Well, that is a surprise..........NO T!! djd
  • Score: 7

8:15am Mon 13 Jan 14

kalebmoledirt says...

With a bit of imagination you could come up with something a little more creative.how,about a decent museum and art gallery like the Guggenheim it would defiantly give Bournemouth a far better image than it as at the moment.plus some architectural interest.
With a bit of imagination you could come up with something a little more creative.how,about a decent museum and art gallery like the Guggenheim it would defiantly give Bournemouth a far better image than it as at the moment.plus some architectural interest. kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 19

8:54am Mon 13 Jan 14

bea says...

Probably build yet more luxury flats ion the site, possibly a higher building than this development would have been, an Arts centre, such as originally planned for the Winter Gardens site, seems most unlikely
Probably build yet more luxury flats ion the site, possibly a higher building than this development would have been, an Arts centre, such as originally planned for the Winter Gardens site, seems most unlikely bea
  • Score: 4

8:58am Mon 13 Jan 14

TheDistrict says...

Bournemouth Council, at your next meeting, forget about the Pavilion Cinema project, forget about the West Central Cinema project, and concentrate on a return of the Public Transport Hub at the Exeter Road site. Bring back a central transport system that befits the holiday trade in the town. One of the main reasons that Bournemouth has lost out on tourism is because there is no decent transport link to the town. Think positive, Westover Road has done us proud for years, keep it that way.
Bournemouth Council, at your next meeting, forget about the Pavilion Cinema project, forget about the West Central Cinema project, and concentrate on a return of the Public Transport Hub at the Exeter Road site. Bring back a central transport system that befits the holiday trade in the town. One of the main reasons that Bournemouth has lost out on tourism is because there is no decent transport link to the town. Think positive, Westover Road has done us proud for years, keep it that way. TheDistrict
  • Score: 23

9:11am Mon 13 Jan 14

Townee says...

Toys out of the pram by Bournemouth Council. We wanted the Pavillion scheme and now we can't have it we will compulsory purchase the other site so that can't go ahead.
GROW UP BOURNEMOUTH COUNCIL YOU LOST OUT, EXCEPT IT AND GET BEHIND THE OTHER DEVELOPMENT. At least someone is doing something to benefit the town.
Toys out of the pram by Bournemouth Council. We wanted the Pavillion scheme and now we can't have it we will compulsory purchase the other site so that can't go ahead. GROW UP BOURNEMOUTH COUNCIL YOU LOST OUT, EXCEPT IT AND GET BEHIND THE OTHER DEVELOPMENT. At least someone is doing something to benefit the town. Townee
  • Score: 9

9:15am Mon 13 Jan 14

bbird says...

An architecturally exciting modern art gallery please. We have an excellent Arts University, a thriving art's community, and a lack of cultural activities.

This will attract new tourism, also from a road, and put Bournemouth on the map. I have travelled to Liverpool, Bexhill-on-Sea, Margate for exhibitions. Not to mention venues abroad.

We don't need more cinemas (although an art's cinema would be welcome in Bournemouth, perhaps housed in a new art gallery!), or Pizza Huts. a
Ask, Nandos, Macdonalds.

What we do need is a great art gallery, an arts cinema and a John Lewis, oh and a proper shopping mall (Southampton style), and some good independent shops and restaurants.
An architecturally exciting modern art gallery please. We have an excellent Arts University, a thriving art's community, and a lack of cultural activities. This will attract new tourism, also from a road, and put Bournemouth on the map. I have travelled to Liverpool, Bexhill-on-Sea, Margate for exhibitions. Not to mention venues abroad. We don't need more cinemas (although an art's cinema would be welcome in Bournemouth, perhaps housed in a new art gallery!), or Pizza Huts. a Ask, Nandos, Macdonalds. What we do need is a great art gallery, an arts cinema and a John Lewis, oh and a proper shopping mall (Southampton style), and some good independent shops and restaurants. bbird
  • Score: 14

9:26am Mon 13 Jan 14

crispy_pants says...

SO, one of the last few car parks remains safe for a little bit longer? Why is the council allowing building on all the car parks?
SO, one of the last few car parks remains safe for a little bit longer? Why is the council allowing building on all the car parks? crispy_pants
  • Score: 20

9:46am Mon 13 Jan 14

B'mth 56 says...

crispy_pants wrote:
SO, one of the last few car parks remains safe for a little bit longer? Why is the council allowing building on all the car parks?
Probably because if they "allow" them to disappear gradually nobody will notice until its too late that we have no town centre car parks. This in turn will force people to go shopping at the Dolphin Centre, Castlepoint and even West Quay. It will force people who want to go to the beach further afield. What in effect does this mean? Slowly but gradually the town centre will die with the loss of jobs unless of course a decent park and ride facility is in place but these seem to have been a failure in the past. Why are they a failure? People don't want to get on a bus with loads of bags after shopping. Can you also imagine the bus drivers reaction when faced with a family of 4 going to the beach with 2 sunbeds, 1 windshield, 2 inflatables, bag of food along with towels, buckets and spades etc. If the council gradually kill the town centre, as shops become empty they will be able to re-develop it again - to more flats!
[quote][p][bold]crispy_pants[/bold] wrote: SO, one of the last few car parks remains safe for a little bit longer? Why is the council allowing building on all the car parks?[/p][/quote]Probably because if they "allow" them to disappear gradually nobody will notice until its too late that we have no town centre car parks. This in turn will force people to go shopping at the Dolphin Centre, Castlepoint and even West Quay. It will force people who want to go to the beach further afield. What in effect does this mean? Slowly but gradually the town centre will die with the loss of jobs unless of course a decent park and ride facility is in place but these seem to have been a failure in the past. Why are they a failure? People don't want to get on a bus with loads of bags after shopping. Can you also imagine the bus drivers reaction when faced with a family of 4 going to the beach with 2 sunbeds, 1 windshield, 2 inflatables, bag of food along with towels, buckets and spades etc. If the council gradually kill the town centre, as shops become empty they will be able to re-develop it again - to more flats! B'mth 56
  • Score: 15

9:58am Mon 13 Jan 14

Jo__Go says...

“It’s unforgiveable that such a prime site sits there empty.”

Empty, except when it's full of the cars of people spending money in the town...
“It’s unforgiveable that such a prime site sits there empty.” Empty, except when it's full of the cars of people spending money in the town... Jo__Go
  • Score: 20

10:26am Mon 13 Jan 14

Gastines3 says...

Try asking a Major Investor if they are interested in the site.How many times have schemes been put forward in this town before they find out if any major investor is interested in putting up the cash.Perhaps a meeting with a few investment companies with resources,like the Qatar group,would be a good idea.Include a panel of Architects with a bit of vision and come up with a feasible scheme before another '6' years are wasted.I query the 6 as I can't think of anything happening here In the last thirty,except the fountain being changed a couple of times.
Try asking a Major Investor if they are interested in the site.How many times have schemes been put forward in this town before they find out if any major investor is interested in putting up the cash.Perhaps a meeting with a few investment companies with resources,like the Qatar group,would be a good idea.Include a panel of Architects with a bit of vision and come up with a feasible scheme before another '6' years are wasted.I query the 6 as I can't think of anything happening here In the last thirty,except the fountain being changed a couple of times. Gastines3
  • Score: 13

11:02am Mon 13 Jan 14

Gonetothebeach says...

Perhaps before we all dive in with suggestions for what should or shouldn't go on this and other sites we ought to take time to set out a powerful and compelling vision for the Bournemouth residents, businesses and tourists alike will sign up to for the future. Not been here long but I haven't yet found a document setting out an exciting vision we all can get behind and that will attract the right type of investor/developer. Everything seems so piecemeal and lacking in real ambition.
Perhaps before we all dive in with suggestions for what should or shouldn't go on this and other sites we ought to take time to set out a powerful and compelling vision for the Bournemouth residents, businesses and tourists alike will sign up to for the future. Not been here long but I haven't yet found a document setting out an exciting vision we all can get behind and that will attract the right type of investor/developer. Everything seems so piecemeal and lacking in real ambition. Gonetothebeach
  • Score: 12

11:04am Mon 13 Jan 14

UrbanCrab says...

We all knew that Trevor would not come up with the cash, look at his history in business! Why is it that Beesley chooses to do business with the likes of these people (& surf reef and the winter gardens development and tony Ramsden) well we all know that too. Get rid of beesley and his fat cat cronies in 2015 and we might actually get something tasteful and worthy near the pier. An arts centre, gallery and art house cinema would certainly be worth considering as also would a swimming pool/ice rink. Tourists need something to do when it rains, and Bournemouth is widely known for its lack of culture.
We all knew that Trevor would not come up with the cash, look at his history in business! Why is it that Beesley chooses to do business with the likes of these people (& surf reef and the winter gardens development and tony Ramsden) well we all know that too. Get rid of beesley and his fat cat cronies in 2015 and we might actually get something tasteful and worthy near the pier. An arts centre, gallery and art house cinema would certainly be worth considering as also would a swimming pool/ice rink. Tourists need something to do when it rains, and Bournemouth is widely known for its lack of culture. UrbanCrab
  • Score: 26

11:06am Mon 13 Jan 14

Bonjovigirl says...

Why don't they listen to the people of Bournemouth, We need an indoor water park to use all year round as weather is so awful here summertime and also the ice rink put back ,lots of families would use both .
Why don't they listen to the people of Bournemouth, We need an indoor water park to use all year round as weather is so awful here summertime and also the ice rink put back ,lots of families would use both . Bonjovigirl
  • Score: 13

11:13am Mon 13 Jan 14

Lord Spring says...

Bonjovigirl wrote:
Why don't they listen to the people of Bournemouth, We need an indoor water park to use all year round as weather is so awful here summertime and also the ice rink put back ,lots of families would use both .
Summertime weather is awful here, is it I wonder what is like elsewhere.
[quote][p][bold]Bonjovigirl[/bold] wrote: Why don't they listen to the people of Bournemouth, We need an indoor water park to use all year round as weather is so awful here summertime and also the ice rink put back ,lots of families would use both .[/p][/quote]Summertime weather is awful here, is it I wonder what is like elsewhere. Lord Spring
  • Score: 4

11:19am Mon 13 Jan 14

PokesdownMark says...

Why doesn't the council use it's vast parking revenue surplus to build a two layer underground car park with sufficient structural strength to allow subsequent expansion above? The end result would be commercially worth twice what it cost (given its location and available parking on site) and the result would be to convert the spending-restricted parking surplus (is it two million quid or so?) into several million quid of funds without any transport spend restriction.
Why doesn't the council use it's vast parking revenue surplus to build a two layer underground car park with sufficient structural strength to allow subsequent expansion above? The end result would be commercially worth twice what it cost (given its location and available parking on site) and the result would be to convert the spending-restricted parking surplus (is it two million quid or so?) into several million quid of funds without any transport spend restriction. PokesdownMark
  • Score: 6

11:27am Mon 13 Jan 14

Bombay fish shop says...

Nows your chance to sign the petition for an ice rink to be built, with the already approved and in place planning for an olympic ice rink.
http://www.thepetiti
onsite.com/663/912/7
37/we-want-a-new-per
manent-ice-rink-in-b
ournemouth-for-every
one-now-weve-waited-
long-enough/
Nows your chance to sign the petition for an ice rink to be built, with the already approved and in place planning for an olympic ice rink. http://www.thepetiti onsite.com/663/912/7 37/we-want-a-new-per manent-ice-rink-in-b ournemouth-for-every one-now-weve-waited- long-enough/ Bombay fish shop
  • Score: -2

11:33am Mon 13 Jan 14

John T says...

Town Centre Master Vision?
Huh, Bournemouth Council should have gone to Specsavers, then they might see the big Yellow Bus that is about to smack them, and others, in the face at Gervis Place!
Town Centre Master Vision? Huh, Bournemouth Council should have gone to Specsavers, then they might see the big Yellow Bus that is about to smack them, and others, in the face at Gervis Place! John T
  • Score: 14

12:06pm Mon 13 Jan 14

BmthNewshound says...

When it was first announced that Trevor Osborne Group were involved with this scheme I warned that it was unlikely tthat the scheme would ever be built. But as always Bournemouth Council were taken in just like they were with the surf reef, and Imax. We can only be thankful that building work hasn't even started or we (taxpayers) would have been left to fund its completion.
.
The fact that Bournemouth has been unable to attract investors to put money into this scheme or develop the Imax site and that the Council has had to bankroll the Leyton Mount development is a clear vote of no confidence in Beesleys town centre vision.
.
Regeneration schemes in other towns are forging ahead but Bournemouth's planned regeneration has failed to attract any major investment. Beesley's vision lacks innovation and imagination. The town cannot survive on tourism and low paid service sector jobs, when was the last time Bournemouth Council attracted a major employer to the town ? When was the last time a Bournemouth based company announced a major investment to create well paid skilled jobs ?
.
When will Bournemouth wake up to the fact that Beesley and his mates are causing real damage to Bournemouth's long term future ?
When it was first announced that Trevor Osborne Group were involved with this scheme I warned that it was unlikely tthat the scheme would ever be built. But as always Bournemouth Council were taken in just like they were with the surf reef, and Imax. We can only be thankful that building work hasn't even started or we (taxpayers) would have been left to fund its completion. . The fact that Bournemouth has been unable to attract investors to put money into this scheme or develop the Imax site and that the Council has had to bankroll the Leyton Mount development is a clear vote of no confidence in Beesleys town centre vision. . Regeneration schemes in other towns are forging ahead but Bournemouth's planned regeneration has failed to attract any major investment. Beesley's vision lacks innovation and imagination. The town cannot survive on tourism and low paid service sector jobs, when was the last time Bournemouth Council attracted a major employer to the town ? When was the last time a Bournemouth based company announced a major investment to create well paid skilled jobs ? . When will Bournemouth wake up to the fact that Beesley and his mates are causing real damage to Bournemouth's long term future ? BmthNewshound
  • Score: 29

12:12pm Mon 13 Jan 14

bbird says...

We need a good Park & ride scheme. Car parks are history. London shops are packed out, people bus or tube in! Nightmare circling round and round here. No more car parks!
We need a good Park & ride scheme. Car parks are history. London shops are packed out, people bus or tube in! Nightmare circling round and round here. No more car parks! bbird
  • Score: -5

12:24pm Mon 13 Jan 14

PokesdownMark says...

bbird wrote:
We need a good Park & ride scheme. Car parks are history. London shops are packed out, people bus or tube in! Nightmare circling round and round here. No more car parks!
Comparison with London isn't valid because it has far larger scale and has therefore a large, mature public transport system. To judge the success, or otherwise, of park and ride schemes you only need to ask Winchester or Salisbury how their schemes have got on. I think you may find they are severely under used and have extraordinarily high price per passenger figures?
[quote][p][bold]bbird[/bold] wrote: We need a good Park & ride scheme. Car parks are history. London shops are packed out, people bus or tube in! Nightmare circling round and round here. No more car parks![/p][/quote]Comparison with London isn't valid because it has far larger scale and has therefore a large, mature public transport system. To judge the success, or otherwise, of park and ride schemes you only need to ask Winchester or Salisbury how their schemes have got on. I think you may find they are severely under used and have extraordinarily high price per passenger figures? PokesdownMark
  • Score: 12

12:28pm Mon 13 Jan 14

skydriver says...

What did that cost to commission, wow a really worthwhile waste of the council tax payers cash....... Now get on and fill ALL the holes in the roads before you say you have run out of cash.
What did that cost to commission, wow a really worthwhile waste of the council tax payers cash....... Now get on and fill ALL the holes in the roads before you say you have run out of cash. skydriver
  • Score: 10

12:46pm Mon 13 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

Good. If nothing else at least current and future tax payers are off the hook as far as that very 'odd' seventy-five year car park rental commitment proposed for 'Nautilus' is concerned!

But do some developers (and their friends in the Town Hall!) just wish the public would all go away so they get on with building several large profitable blocks of exclusive flats on both this 'Nautilus' site and the former Imax site?

Indeed perhaps this is the reality of that vague long term Pier area 'comprehensive redevelopment' plan, which we have already been teased with in past Town Hall quotes.....
Good. If nothing else at least current and future tax payers are off the hook as far as that very 'odd' seventy-five year car park rental commitment proposed for 'Nautilus' is concerned! But do some developers (and their friends in the Town Hall!) just wish the public would all go away so they get on with building several large profitable blocks of exclusive flats on both this 'Nautilus' site and the former Imax site? Indeed perhaps this is the reality of that vague long term Pier area 'comprehensive redevelopment' plan, which we have already been teased with in past Town Hall quotes..... muscliffman
  • Score: 11

12:56pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Nice But Dim says...

Stop funding the empty Pavilion Dance (how much is it a year) it was an initial 3.5 million & then the council may have some funds to considert a worthwhile project themselves
Stop funding the empty Pavilion Dance (how much is it a year) it was an initial 3.5 million & then the council may have some funds to considert a worthwhile project themselves Nice But Dim
  • Score: 4

1:13pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Horridbloke says...

PokesdownMark wrote:
Why doesn't the council use it's vast parking revenue surplus to build a two layer underground car park with sufficient structural strength to allow subsequent expansion above? The end result would be commercially worth twice what it cost (given its location and available parking on site) and the result would be to convert the spending-restricted parking surplus (is it two million quid or so?) into several million quid of funds without any transport spend restriction.
Because an underground carpark at that location would constantly flood.
[quote][p][bold]PokesdownMark[/bold] wrote: Why doesn't the council use it's vast parking revenue surplus to build a two layer underground car park with sufficient structural strength to allow subsequent expansion above? The end result would be commercially worth twice what it cost (given its location and available parking on site) and the result would be to convert the spending-restricted parking surplus (is it two million quid or so?) into several million quid of funds without any transport spend restriction.[/p][/quote]Because an underground carpark at that location would constantly flood. Horridbloke
  • Score: -1

1:28pm Mon 13 Jan 14

bbird says...

PokesdownMark wrote:
bbird wrote:
We need a good Park & ride scheme. Car parks are history. London shops are packed out, people bus or tube in! Nightmare circling round and round here. No more car parks!
Comparison with London isn't valid because it has far larger scale and has therefore a large, mature public transport system. To judge the success, or otherwise, of park and ride schemes you only need to ask Winchester or Salisbury how their schemes have got on. I think you may find they are severely under used and have extraordinarily high price per passenger figures?
Resorts abroad are often pedestrianised and seem busy enough. The last think a holidaymaker needs is busy roads and car fumes. Car parks should be on the fringe of town rather than prime town centre sites
[quote][p][bold]PokesdownMark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bbird[/bold] wrote: We need a good Park & ride scheme. Car parks are history. London shops are packed out, people bus or tube in! Nightmare circling round and round here. No more car parks![/p][/quote]Comparison with London isn't valid because it has far larger scale and has therefore a large, mature public transport system. To judge the success, or otherwise, of park and ride schemes you only need to ask Winchester or Salisbury how their schemes have got on. I think you may find they are severely under used and have extraordinarily high price per passenger figures?[/p][/quote]Resorts abroad are often pedestrianised and seem busy enough. The last think a holidaymaker needs is busy roads and car fumes. Car parks should be on the fringe of town rather than prime town centre sites bbird
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Mon 13 Jan 14

SallyBrodo says...

The Odeon probably pulled out because the new cinema in Westbourne Arcade is half the price and twice as good......
The Odeon probably pulled out because the new cinema in Westbourne Arcade is half the price and twice as good...... SallyBrodo
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Mon 13 Jan 14

PokesdownMark says...

Horridbloke wrote:
PokesdownMark wrote:
Why doesn't the council use it's vast parking revenue surplus to build a two layer underground car park with sufficient structural strength to allow subsequent expansion above? The end result would be commercially worth twice what it cost (given its location and available parking on site) and the result would be to convert the spending-restricted parking surplus (is it two million quid or so?) into several million quid of funds without any transport spend restriction.
Because an underground carpark at that location would constantly flood.
It is on a hill. I wasn't suggesting going down below sea level! Just two levels below West over Road. The lowest deck would be ground level at the southern edge of the plot.

This using existing money to unlock sufficient funds for a ice rink and one or two other major projects. For free! Zero cost.
[quote][p][bold]Horridbloke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PokesdownMark[/bold] wrote: Why doesn't the council use it's vast parking revenue surplus to build a two layer underground car park with sufficient structural strength to allow subsequent expansion above? The end result would be commercially worth twice what it cost (given its location and available parking on site) and the result would be to convert the spending-restricted parking surplus (is it two million quid or so?) into several million quid of funds without any transport spend restriction.[/p][/quote]Because an underground carpark at that location would constantly flood.[/p][/quote]It is on a hill. I wasn't suggesting going down below sea level! Just two levels below West over Road. The lowest deck would be ground level at the southern edge of the plot. This using existing money to unlock sufficient funds for a ice rink and one or two other major projects. For free! Zero cost. PokesdownMark
  • Score: 10

2:10pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Redgolfer says...

NICE to see my earlier comments on this and Old Christchurch Road have been taken off, was it because the Chair of the panning suggested that it was unforgivable that this prime site remained empty but just in case he does not remember this site has been a car park making money for Bournemouth since I was born in 1946 and I am glad this scheme will not go ahead for the fact that the people of Bournemouth will not have to pay millions renting the car park BACK.
Or was it because I mentioned OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD again but I suspect that it was the last thing about the Council and Developers which I will not repeat as it will get taken off AGAIN but I thought that was the reason comments were put on this site ?????
NICE to see my earlier comments on this and Old Christchurch Road have been taken off, was it because the Chair of the panning suggested that it was unforgivable that this prime site remained empty but just in case he does not remember this site has been a car park making money for Bournemouth since I was born in 1946 and I am glad this scheme will not go ahead for the fact that the people of Bournemouth will not have to pay millions renting the car park BACK. Or was it because I mentioned OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD again but I suspect that it was the last thing about the Council and Developers which I will not repeat as it will get taken off AGAIN but I thought that was the reason comments were put on this site ????? Redgolfer
  • Score: 8

2:36pm Mon 13 Jan 14

FlamingCarbuncle says...

Basement - car park
Ground floor - swimming poole
First Floor - Ice rink
Basement - car park Ground floor - swimming poole First Floor - Ice rink FlamingCarbuncle
  • Score: 2

2:37pm Mon 13 Jan 14

FlamingCarbuncle says...

FlamingCarbuncle wrote:
Basement - car park
Ground floor - swimming poole
First Floor - Ice rink
Or even swimming pool!
[quote][p][bold]FlamingCarbuncle[/bold] wrote: Basement - car park Ground floor - swimming poole First Floor - Ice rink[/p][/quote]Or even swimming pool! FlamingCarbuncle
  • Score: 3

2:38pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Baywolf says...

An indoor full scale ice rink and bowling alley! Simples
An indoor full scale ice rink and bowling alley! Simples Baywolf
  • Score: -2

2:53pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Redgolfer says...

Baywolf wrote:
An indoor full scale ice rink and bowling alley! Simples
All 3 have been in Bournemouth before indeed 2 swimming pools, neither 50 metre lengths so that hopefuls could train and maybe attract Galas but no BIC had wave making machine, we had plenty of car parks but Council flogged them offmaybe go back in time and you had all 3.
[quote][p][bold]Baywolf[/bold] wrote: An indoor full scale ice rink and bowling alley! Simples[/p][/quote]All 3 have been in Bournemouth before indeed 2 swimming pools, neither 50 metre lengths so that hopefuls could train and maybe attract Galas but no BIC had wave making machine, we had plenty of car parks but Council flogged them offmaybe go back in time and you had all 3. Redgolfer
  • Score: 2

4:00pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

"When will Bournemouth wake up to the fact that Beesley and his mates are causing real damage to Bournemouth's long term future ?"



Not until they stop acting like children and over exciting themselves at every shiney bauble they are offered and look what's behind.

Ooh whoopee , a view and some music ..... which turns out to be a 'comprehensive redevelopment' of the site. Now might that include some appartments ?

hmmmm
"When will Bournemouth wake up to the fact that Beesley and his mates are causing real damage to Bournemouth's long term future ?" Not until they stop acting like children and over exciting themselves at every shiney bauble they are offered and look what's behind. Ooh whoopee , a view and some music ..... which turns out to be a 'comprehensive redevelopment' of the site. Now might that include some appartments ? hmmmm Bob49
  • Score: 7

4:03pm Mon 13 Jan 14

chridrum says...

Thank The Lord for that.
This would ruin the beautiful Pavillion that seems to be invisible to BBC
Thank The Lord for that. This would ruin the beautiful Pavillion that seems to be invisible to BBC chridrum
  • Score: 5

4:54pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Gastines3 says...

Just had a brilliant idea. I have some Architects plans for a scheme which would fir the Pavilion and Bath road Car-parks to perfection. It was drawn up and submitted in 1975 for the original promised B.I.C. site.As usual Bournemouth Council did their usual ten per cent of the promised job!!
If you incorporated the car-parks by bridging over Bath Road you obviously have a huge site in a prime-position. The scheme was a very modernistic{Dubai Style} plan which gave us an underground coach/bus/taxi and delivery terminal,ground floor retail units/cafes/plaza and garden areas.with generous parking areas for the other floor users. The other 14-18 floors containingCinema capable of quick adaptation to a theatre. Quality hotel/residential and holiday apartments and top floor Cafes etc.
This might bring Bournemouth up to International Standards which it sadly lacks and should bring a much needed boost to the town instead of continually reading about bits and bobs to suit the chosen few developers.
Just had a brilliant idea. I have some Architects plans for a scheme which would fir the Pavilion and Bath road Car-parks to perfection. It was drawn up and submitted in 1975 for the original promised B.I.C. site.As usual Bournemouth Council did their usual ten per cent of the promised job!! If you incorporated the car-parks by bridging over Bath Road you obviously have a huge site in a prime-position. The scheme was a very modernistic{Dubai Style} plan which gave us an underground coach/bus/taxi and delivery terminal,ground floor retail units/cafes/plaza and garden areas.with generous parking areas for the other floor users. The other 14-18 floors containingCinema capable of quick adaptation to a theatre. Quality hotel/residential and holiday apartments and top floor Cafes etc. This might bring Bournemouth up to International Standards which it sadly lacks and should bring a much needed boost to the town instead of continually reading about bits and bobs to suit the chosen few developers. Gastines3
  • Score: 4

5:13pm Mon 13 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

Gastines3 wrote:
Just had a brilliant idea. I have some Architects plans for a scheme which would fir the Pavilion and Bath road Car-parks to perfection. It was drawn up and submitted in 1975 for the original promised B.I.C. site.As usual Bournemouth Council did their usual ten per cent of the promised job!!
If you incorporated the car-parks by bridging over Bath Road you obviously have a huge site in a prime-position. The scheme was a very modernistic{Dubai Style} plan which gave us an underground coach/bus/taxi and delivery terminal,ground floor retail units/cafes/plaza and garden areas.with generous parking areas for the other floor users. The other 14-18 floors containingCinema capable of quick adaptation to a theatre. Quality hotel/residential and holiday apartments and top floor Cafes etc.
This might bring Bournemouth up to International Standards which it sadly lacks and should bring a much needed boost to the town instead of continually reading about bits and bobs to suit the chosen few developers.
A common sense forty year old plan?

There is a problem, because back then such ambitious ideas were less about a fast buck for a select few and more about a better long term future for the entire town and all it's residents and visitors - so not going to happen at the moment!
[quote][p][bold]Gastines3[/bold] wrote: Just had a brilliant idea. I have some Architects plans for a scheme which would fir the Pavilion and Bath road Car-parks to perfection. It was drawn up and submitted in 1975 for the original promised B.I.C. site.As usual Bournemouth Council did their usual ten per cent of the promised job!! If you incorporated the car-parks by bridging over Bath Road you obviously have a huge site in a prime-position. The scheme was a very modernistic{Dubai Style} plan which gave us an underground coach/bus/taxi and delivery terminal,ground floor retail units/cafes/plaza and garden areas.with generous parking areas for the other floor users. The other 14-18 floors containingCinema capable of quick adaptation to a theatre. Quality hotel/residential and holiday apartments and top floor Cafes etc. This might bring Bournemouth up to International Standards which it sadly lacks and should bring a much needed boost to the town instead of continually reading about bits and bobs to suit the chosen few developers.[/p][/quote]A common sense forty year old plan? There is a problem, because back then such ambitious ideas were less about a fast buck for a select few and more about a better long term future for the entire town and all it's residents and visitors - so not going to happen at the moment! muscliffman
  • Score: 9

6:02pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Lord Spring says...

Redgolfer wrote:
Baywolf wrote:
An indoor full scale ice rink and bowling alley! Simples
All 3 have been in Bournemouth before indeed 2 swimming pools, neither 50 metre lengths so that hopefuls could train and maybe attract Galas but no BIC had wave making machine, we had plenty of car parks but Council flogged them offmaybe go back in time and you had all 3.
Linden Hall Hydro was my favourite but that was dearer than the others and smaller.
[quote][p][bold]Redgolfer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Baywolf[/bold] wrote: An indoor full scale ice rink and bowling alley! Simples[/p][/quote]All 3 have been in Bournemouth before indeed 2 swimming pools, neither 50 metre lengths so that hopefuls could train and maybe attract Galas but no BIC had wave making machine, we had plenty of car parks but Council flogged them offmaybe go back in time and you had all 3.[/p][/quote]Linden Hall Hydro was my favourite but that was dearer than the others and smaller. Lord Spring
  • Score: 1

6:32pm Mon 13 Jan 14

ShuttleX says...

I wonder if the Council is willing to come clean on how much it is going to cost us, the tax payers, to make a CP order for Exeter road. Licet will get millions because they have everything in place, and the Council will have to compensate them for that loss. Licet have also told Mr Beesley that they will fight any plans to compulsorily purchase the site. That will add years and costs to the Councils bill. Mr Beesley has also been warned by the legal department that there is no guarantee they will win either. As usual, he has said "I want it, give it to me" and doesn't give a t0ss about the cost to us all. You are going the same way as Mr Charon did, and we know what happened to him. You of all people should know that those who smile at you, are more than willing to stick the knife in if they see an advantage to their chances of getting re-elected. Your position is not as secure as you like to think it is. There is quite a groudswell building up about replacing you. Mr Charon didn't listen, nor do you.
I wonder if the Council is willing to come clean on how much it is going to cost us, the tax payers, to make a CP order for Exeter road. Licet will get millions because they have everything in place, and the Council will have to compensate them for that loss. Licet have also told Mr Beesley that they will fight any plans to compulsorily purchase the site. That will add years and costs to the Councils bill. Mr Beesley has also been warned by the legal department that there is no guarantee they will win either. As usual, he has said "I want it, give it to me" and doesn't give a t0ss about the cost to us all. You are going the same way as Mr Charon did, and we know what happened to him. You of all people should know that those who smile at you, are more than willing to stick the knife in if they see an advantage to their chances of getting re-elected. Your position is not as secure as you like to think it is. There is quite a groudswell building up about replacing you. Mr Charon didn't listen, nor do you. ShuttleX
  • Score: 3

6:39pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

a fast buck for a select few"

or as it is otherwise known - the Town Centre plan
a fast buck for a select few" or as it is otherwise known - the Town Centre plan Bob49
  • Score: 5

7:03pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Gastines3 says...

Please forgive me for an add-on. Isn't it about time we,as taxpayers,knew more details about the tenders submitted for local building works.How and where advertised,the winning quote,the other bidders and if the Council's Legal Dept has woken up to the idea of clauses to protect the Council,ie.taxpayers
,against quotes being altered and added to suit the Contractor.Perhaps it's a thought that the Echo could follow up as they seem to have sources available to them in the Town Hall?
Please forgive me for an add-on. Isn't it about time we,as taxpayers,knew more details about the tenders submitted for local building works.How and where advertised,the winning quote,the other bidders and if the Council's Legal Dept has woken up to the idea of clauses to protect the Council,ie.taxpayers ,against quotes being altered and added to suit the Contractor.Perhaps it's a thought that the Echo could follow up as they seem to have sources available to them in the Town Hall? Gastines3
  • Score: 2

7:31pm Mon 13 Jan 14

ShuttleX says...

Gastines3 wrote:
Please forgive me for an add-on. Isn't it about time we,as taxpayers,knew more details about the tenders submitted for local building works.How and where advertised,the winning quote,the other bidders and if the Council's Legal Dept has woken up to the idea of clauses to protect the Council,ie.taxpayers

,against quotes being altered and added to suit the Contractor.Perhaps it's a thought that the Echo could follow up as they seem to have sources available to them in the Town Hall?
If you try and get that information, you will come across the Councils most favourite word "confidentiality" They use that to block any request for information they do not want to give out. 15 FOI requests have been denied so far this this year based on that one word. Welcome to the caring sharing transparent Council
[quote][p][bold]Gastines3[/bold] wrote: Please forgive me for an add-on. Isn't it about time we,as taxpayers,knew more details about the tenders submitted for local building works.How and where advertised,the winning quote,the other bidders and if the Council's Legal Dept has woken up to the idea of clauses to protect the Council,ie.taxpayers ,against quotes being altered and added to suit the Contractor.Perhaps it's a thought that the Echo could follow up as they seem to have sources available to them in the Town Hall?[/p][/quote]If you try and get that information, you will come across the Councils most favourite word "confidentiality" They use that to block any request for information they do not want to give out. 15 FOI requests have been denied so far this this year based on that one word. Welcome to the caring sharing transparent Council ShuttleX
  • Score: 5

11:08pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Punkey says...

Promises promises!!! what a waist of time & money.
Promises promises!!! what a waist of time & money. Punkey
  • Score: 0

12:21am Tue 14 Jan 14

guitarman47 says...

It is quite understandable that there are so many views on what should happen next, However, the history of this project goes back so far that many will not be aware that the development of the site (Bath Road North Car Park) was for the sole intention of raising the necessary revenue to modernise and upgrade the Pavilion Theatre and Ballroom complex and/or transfer liability for the upkeep of the premises in the process. This followed a very difficult period of re-evaluation when it was recognised that Bournemouth could not operate so many venues, all of which required very real investment if they were to remain viable, a process that led to the demise of the Winter Gardens as part of the rationalisation. Having chosen this path, it was widely accepted by all concerned that the Pavilion Theatre had fallen behind other regional venues in terms of customer comfort, amenities, technical capability and that operating logistics were challenging at best.
The council went out for bids and accepted the TOPG scheme as the best option at the time. The staff directly involved in running the Pavilion had severe reservations - and voiced them loud and clear at the time but the Liberal Democrat majority Council signed the contract with TOPG on the eve of the council elections, the day before they lost control of the Council!
So here we are 6+ years later, having had piecemeal investment in the Pavilion in the meantime and, although that has not been insignificant, because the funds have only been available in dribs and drabs, major works that should have been carried out have had sticking plasters applied and have not gone away. So, before people get too carried away with somehow using this change of circumstances to fund other projects in town, make no mistake that for the benefit of locals and visitors alike, Bournemouth cannot afford to further neglect this precious Grade 2 listed theatre. What happens to the Bath Road North site now is fundamental to the future of the Pavilion.
It is quite understandable that there are so many views on what should happen next, However, the history of this project goes back so far that many will not be aware that the development of the site (Bath Road North Car Park) was for the sole intention of raising the necessary revenue to modernise and upgrade the Pavilion Theatre and Ballroom complex and/or transfer liability for the upkeep of the premises in the process. This followed a very difficult period of re-evaluation when it was recognised that Bournemouth could not operate so many venues, all of which required very real investment if they were to remain viable, a process that led to the demise of the Winter Gardens as part of the rationalisation. Having chosen this path, it was widely accepted by all concerned that the Pavilion Theatre had fallen behind other regional venues in terms of customer comfort, amenities, technical capability and that operating logistics were challenging at best. The council went out for bids and accepted the TOPG scheme as the best option at the time. The staff directly involved in running the Pavilion had severe reservations - and voiced them loud and clear at the time but the Liberal Democrat majority Council signed the contract with TOPG on the eve of the council elections, the day before they lost control of the Council! So here we are 6+ years later, having had piecemeal investment in the Pavilion in the meantime and, although that has not been insignificant, because the funds have only been available in dribs and drabs, major works that should have been carried out have had sticking plasters applied and have not gone away. So, before people get too carried away with somehow using this change of circumstances to fund other projects in town, make no mistake that for the benefit of locals and visitors alike, Bournemouth cannot afford to further neglect this precious Grade 2 listed theatre. What happens to the Bath Road North site now is fundamental to the future of the Pavilion. guitarman47
  • Score: 1

10:29am Tue 14 Jan 14

Redgolfer says...

guitarman47 wrote:
It is quite understandable that there are so many views on what should happen next, However, the history of this project goes back so far that many will not be aware that the development of the site (Bath Road North Car Park) was for the sole intention of raising the necessary revenue to modernise and upgrade the Pavilion Theatre and Ballroom complex and/or transfer liability for the upkeep of the premises in the process. This followed a very difficult period of re-evaluation when it was recognised that Bournemouth could not operate so many venues, all of which required very real investment if they were to remain viable, a process that led to the demise of the Winter Gardens as part of the rationalisation. Having chosen this path, it was widely accepted by all concerned that the Pavilion Theatre had fallen behind other regional venues in terms of customer comfort, amenities, technical capability and that operating logistics were challenging at best.
The council went out for bids and accepted the TOPG scheme as the best option at the time. The staff directly involved in running the Pavilion had severe reservations - and voiced them loud and clear at the time but the Liberal Democrat majority Council signed the contract with TOPG on the eve of the council elections, the day before they lost control of the Council!
So here we are 6+ years later, having had piecemeal investment in the Pavilion in the meantime and, although that has not been insignificant, because the funds have only been available in dribs and drabs, major works that should have been carried out have had sticking plasters applied and have not gone away. So, before people get too carried away with somehow using this change of circumstances to fund other projects in town, make no mistake that for the benefit of locals and visitors alike, Bournemouth cannot afford to further neglect this precious Grade 2 listed theatre. What happens to the Bath Road North site now is fundamental to the future of the Pavilion.
So do you think that the decision made at that time was right, Winter Gardens best acoustics in this area, no need to pull it down !!.
Who made the decision to flog off car park and to lumber generations the price of leasing the underground car park, what was it 3 Million a year over 75 years, its not the fault of one party or the other ones not in power at the time, its the people who THINK THEY KNOW best but have vested interest's in other things and KNOW nothing of what is best for the town or its people who live here.
You are saying this site is fundamental to the future of the Pavilion, I say leave it as it has been for over 50 years as car parks ARE NEEDED in that location and IT IS making money, not for developers but the people using it as it has been for a long time???
[quote][p][bold]guitarman47[/bold] wrote: It is quite understandable that there are so many views on what should happen next, However, the history of this project goes back so far that many will not be aware that the development of the site (Bath Road North Car Park) was for the sole intention of raising the necessary revenue to modernise and upgrade the Pavilion Theatre and Ballroom complex and/or transfer liability for the upkeep of the premises in the process. This followed a very difficult period of re-evaluation when it was recognised that Bournemouth could not operate so many venues, all of which required very real investment if they were to remain viable, a process that led to the demise of the Winter Gardens as part of the rationalisation. Having chosen this path, it was widely accepted by all concerned that the Pavilion Theatre had fallen behind other regional venues in terms of customer comfort, amenities, technical capability and that operating logistics were challenging at best. The council went out for bids and accepted the TOPG scheme as the best option at the time. The staff directly involved in running the Pavilion had severe reservations - and voiced them loud and clear at the time but the Liberal Democrat majority Council signed the contract with TOPG on the eve of the council elections, the day before they lost control of the Council! So here we are 6+ years later, having had piecemeal investment in the Pavilion in the meantime and, although that has not been insignificant, because the funds have only been available in dribs and drabs, major works that should have been carried out have had sticking plasters applied and have not gone away. So, before people get too carried away with somehow using this change of circumstances to fund other projects in town, make no mistake that for the benefit of locals and visitors alike, Bournemouth cannot afford to further neglect this precious Grade 2 listed theatre. What happens to the Bath Road North site now is fundamental to the future of the Pavilion.[/p][/quote]So do you think that the decision made at that time was right, Winter Gardens best acoustics in this area, no need to pull it down !!. Who made the decision to flog off car park and to lumber generations the price of leasing the underground car park, what was it 3 Million a year over 75 years, its not the fault of one party or the other ones not in power at the time, its the people who THINK THEY KNOW best but have vested interest's in other things and KNOW nothing of what is best for the town or its people who live here. You are saying this site is fundamental to the future of the Pavilion, I say leave it as it has been for over 50 years as car parks ARE NEEDED in that location and IT IS making money, not for developers but the people using it as it has been for a long time??? Redgolfer
  • Score: 3

12:03pm Tue 14 Jan 14

guitarman47 says...

As someone who was employed by the BIC/Pavilion at that time, I was involved with others in presenting the facts about the various venues to elected members and senior officers of the Council so that the council could decide the way forward. I have not been involved in making any decisions one way or another as regards the Winter Gardens, or any other venue. There was no getting away from the fact that Winter Gardens did have fantastic acoustics (for acoustic performances such as orchestral and choral concerts) and it had a very large platform stage. However, the acoustic was too lively for pop music and what it didn't have was the necessary proscenium arch and fly tower to enable scenery, cloths, lighting bars etc.to be used, thus it was totally unsuitable for plays, musical theatre, pantomime etc. These facilities were in place at the Pavilion and the theatre stage was sufficiently large as to make it possible for some of the concert performances to transfer from the Winter Gardens. The Pavilion, although far from perfect, also had a thriving ballroom and the potential for further expansion and improvement within the existing footprint. It may also have been a Grade 2 listed building by that time?
There is no doubting the fact that, were finance not an issue, it would have been preferable to retain all the town venues but it seems the finance was not available to do so?
Having carried out duties in all the council venues at that time, I was very aware of the dilapidated state of the Winter Gardens (no doubt exacerbated by indecision as to it's future over a long period?) and how difficult it was just to keep things going on a daily basis. It failed, or was about to fail, to meet many licensing criteria in relation to safety, facilities in general and specifically provision for disabled patrons. Like many, I too have very fond memories of times spent in the Winter Gardens watching the stars of the day in action, believe me, I took no joy whatsoever in that outcome.
It is very important now that we don't lose sight of the fact that the Pavilion could go the same way if it doesn't receive the necessary investment. Where that comes from is out of my hands.
As someone who was employed by the BIC/Pavilion at that time, I was involved with others in presenting the facts about the various venues to elected members and senior officers of the Council so that the council could decide the way forward. I have not been involved in making any decisions one way or another as regards the Winter Gardens, or any other venue. There was no getting away from the fact that Winter Gardens did have fantastic acoustics (for acoustic performances such as orchestral and choral concerts) and it had a very large platform stage. However, the acoustic was too lively for pop music and what it didn't have was the necessary proscenium arch and fly tower to enable scenery, cloths, lighting bars etc.to be used, thus it was totally unsuitable for plays, musical theatre, pantomime etc. These facilities were in place at the Pavilion and the theatre stage was sufficiently large as to make it possible for some of the concert performances to transfer from the Winter Gardens. The Pavilion, although far from perfect, also had a thriving ballroom and the potential for further expansion and improvement within the existing footprint. It may also have been a Grade 2 listed building by that time? There is no doubting the fact that, were finance not an issue, it would have been preferable to retain all the town venues but it seems the finance was not available to do so? Having carried out duties in all the council venues at that time, I was very aware of the dilapidated state of the Winter Gardens (no doubt exacerbated by indecision as to it's future over a long period?) and how difficult it was just to keep things going on a daily basis. It failed, or was about to fail, to meet many licensing criteria in relation to safety, facilities in general and specifically provision for disabled patrons. Like many, I too have very fond memories of times spent in the Winter Gardens watching the stars of the day in action, believe me, I took no joy whatsoever in that outcome. It is very important now that we don't lose sight of the fact that the Pavilion could go the same way if it doesn't receive the necessary investment. Where that comes from is out of my hands. guitarman47
  • Score: 3

4:45pm Tue 14 Jan 14

ladychat says...

I just don't know what is wrong with this council. Do they want to bring Bournemouth into the 21st century or not? All this hype about bringing the seafront up to world class standard (which I don't think is possible while they are still allowing dogs to mess all over the beach for most of the year and the very dated very large amusements on the prom needs to be redeveloped) And what about the rest of the town centre in Bournemouth? Let the Exeter Road development go ahead, as soon as possible - we DO desperately need a new cinema. I attend the Odeon quite a lot and very often hear the sound track from the screen nextdoor, and more new eating places would be well used. The bus hub should go on the old Winter Gardens site. This would keep the buses away from the very centre of town and make it safer for pedestrians, but also be close enough and accessible enough for residents and tourists. And I agree, an ice rink or water park (or both) on the North Car Park site would be the best solution for both residents and tourists - and would bring in a good income for the council.
I just don't know what is wrong with this council. Do they want to bring Bournemouth into the 21st century or not? All this hype about bringing the seafront up to world class standard (which I don't think is possible while they are still allowing dogs to mess all over the beach for most of the year and the very dated very large amusements on the prom needs to be redeveloped) And what about the rest of the town centre in Bournemouth? Let the Exeter Road development go ahead, as soon as possible - we DO desperately need a new cinema. I attend the Odeon quite a lot and very often hear the sound track from the screen nextdoor, and more new eating places would be well used. The bus hub should go on the old Winter Gardens site. This would keep the buses away from the very centre of town and make it safer for pedestrians, but also be close enough and accessible enough for residents and tourists. And I agree, an ice rink or water park (or both) on the North Car Park site would be the best solution for both residents and tourists - and would bring in a good income for the council. ladychat
  • Score: 0

10:02pm Tue 14 Jan 14

wadjit says...

Very worrying that now this poor idea has been dropped something far worse will go in its place. Couldn't agree more that Bournemouth really does need a great looking modern arts building and arts cinema as has been said by others on here. It could be a major attraction if some thought goes into it. There is so little culture in Bournemouth to counter balance the mind numbing 'entertainment' on offer. The Russell Cotes museum is the best thing we have and even now you have to pay (too much) in summer which counts most people out of the little education they may gain from a visit. I love Bournemouth and get very sad when it really does seem that those with power have no concern with anything other than money. I guess its just the sad reality of how things work in this world.
Very worrying that now this poor idea has been dropped something far worse will go in its place. Couldn't agree more that Bournemouth really does need a great looking modern arts building and arts cinema as has been said by others on here. It could be a major attraction if some thought goes into it. There is so little culture in Bournemouth to counter balance the mind numbing 'entertainment' on offer. The Russell Cotes museum is the best thing we have and even now you have to pay (too much) in summer which counts most people out of the little education they may gain from a visit. I love Bournemouth and get very sad when it really does seem that those with power have no concern with anything other than money. I guess its just the sad reality of how things work in this world. wadjit
  • Score: 1

9:38am Wed 15 Jan 14

bbird says...

Please can the Echo start a campaign for a Modern Arts Centre. World Class Art Gallery, Arts Cinema, small theatre, Art Courses (for locals and visitors), Art Studios and small shops selling their work. A lovely open square and independent cafes and independent restaurants with terraces sheltered from the rain. Perhaps live classical music playing occasionally. And a few classy shops.

Bournemouth, as a resort for all seasons, would be so enhanced. And yes, an ice rink would be a good compliment!
(Or is that just a lovely dream?)
Please can the Echo start a campaign for a Modern Arts Centre. World Class Art Gallery, Arts Cinema, small theatre, Art Courses (for locals and visitors), Art Studios and small shops selling their work. A lovely open square and independent cafes and independent restaurants with terraces sheltered from the rain. Perhaps live classical music playing occasionally. And a few classy shops. Bournemouth, as a resort for all seasons, would be so enhanced. And yes, an ice rink would be a good compliment! (Or is that just a lovely dream?) bbird
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree