“We could have died in launderette fire” – Father-of-three hits out after Parkstone blaze (From Bournemouth Echo)
When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
“We could have died in launderette fire” – Father-of-three hits out after Parkstone blaze
A FATHER-of-three said he and his children could have died in a blaze at a launderette last weekend.
Jamie Turner, 39, was taking care of youngsters Savannah, Kyra and Finlay, aged between eight and 10, at his flat above Barker Dry Cleaning and Launderette in Ashley Cross on Saturday when he noticed the room was getting hotter.
But it was only when a neighbour frantically banged on his door and told him to get out that he realised there was a fire.
Mr Turner has since been signed off work by doctors suffering from stress, and is sleeping on friends’ sofas as his flat suffered significant smoke damage.
He said: “I was flabbergasted.
“I’m separated from my wife and I take care of the three kids during weekends. We were all watching a film at the flat when we noticed how hot it was getting. I couldn’t understand why it was suddenly so warm, and I was checking the electricity to see if something had gone wrong.”
The lights in the flat were out as the family watched the television, but Mr Turner began to notice a smell ‘like burnt toast’.
“At about 10pm, I switched the lounge light on and there was a mist in the room,” he said.
“Suddenly, the doorbell started ringing, and my neighbour told me there was a fire and we had to get out.”
The fire, captured on film by a passer-by, damaged the business and the flats above. However, no one was hurt, although Mr Turner said it could have been a different story.
“There was no warning whatsoever,” he said.
“I’ve watched the video of the fire and it’s shaken me up so much. When we got downstairs, we heard the alarm, but before that there was no indication at all. I’ve lost almost everything because of the smoke, including my home, and ever since I’ve had to sleep on friends’ sofas. It’s been such a traumatic, shocking experience for all of us.”
A Dorset Fire and Rescue Service investigation revealed that the blaze started as a result of the spontaneous combustion of washing.
Comments are closed on this article.