When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Deadline for Navitus Bay wind farm consultation looms
SUPPORTERS and opponents of the Navitus Bay Wind Park are urging residents to voice their opinions before the project’s consultation deadline expires.
Navitus Bay Development Limited (NBDL) is hosting a series of informal drop-in sessions about its proposals for the sprawling offshore wind park off the Dorset coast.
The company wants to build up to 218 turbines, towering up to 200 metres – almost four times the height of Nelson’s Column – a dozen miles off Bournemouth’s beaches.
Project director Mike Unsworth says opinion polls conducted over the past three years have shown 75 per cent support for the plans.
However, Challenge Navitus, the campaign group leading the fight against the proposals, believes the park would have damaging effects on local environments and economies.
Challenge Navitus has reminded residents that any letters of objection would have to be posted to NBDL by October 8, if second class, to ensure they meet the 5pm, October 11 deadline.
David Lloyd, of Challenge Navitus, said: “This is the last chance for the public to have their say, so it’s vital that everyone takes advantage of this opportunity to condemn this ill-conceived threat to our coastline, jobs and way of life.”
Meanwhile, Mr Unsworth said: “Navitus Bay is committed to communicating honestly and openly with members of the public to ensure that they are given as much information as possible about the proposed wind park, which will deliver significant economic benefits to the local community.
“We would encourage as many people as possible to come to these drop-in sessions, take this extra opportunity to look at the consultation materials and make their views known before the end of the consultation on 11 October.”
A planning application should be lodged next spring, with a planning decision likely to be made in mid-2015.
- NBDL Drop-in sessions: n October 7, 11am-2pm, Starboard Suite, Captain’s Club Hotel, Wick Lane, Christchurch.
- October 7, 4-7pm, Hampshire Room, The New Milton Memorial Centre, Whitefield Road, New Milton.
- October 8, 4-7pm, Hope Jones Room, Lymington Community Centre, New Street, Lymington.
- October 9, 11am-2pm, Causerie Suite, Menzies Carton Hotel, East Overcliff, Grove Road, Bournemouth.
- October 9, 4-7pm, St Edwards Church Hall, Rempstone Road, Swanage.
- October 10, 11am-2pm, Waterfront Suite, RNLI College, west Quay Road, Poole.
- October 10, 4-7pm, West Moors Memorial Hall, Station Road, west Moors, Ferndown.
Comments are closed on this article.